Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vandar posted:

Lexx owned.

Lexx was not a good show, but it was a great show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vandar posted:

Lexx owned.

:hmmyes:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a strong vibe that Whedon gets off on the abuse and considers that a necessity for a female protagonist to 'earn' the right to be strong. It just came off as feminist at a time when most shows had female protagonists clearly begrudgingly to get their asses kicked and be saved by the male ones.

I don't think Whedon invented the concept or anything, the rape revenge subgenre has been around since at least the 1970s, but he certainly helped to popularize certain aspects like the visual emphasis on bodily harm and strength through suffering of his leads. To the point where I think a lot of people are still incredulous to the idea of a female protagonist who's just naturally gifted, strong or talented in the same way that men are allowed to be, they're total Mary Sues until overpowered and violated by a (usually) stronger man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think Whedon invented the concept or anything, the rape revenge subgenre has been around since at least the 1970s, but he certainly helped to popularize certain aspects like the visual emphasis on bodily harm and strength through suffering of his leads. To the point where I think a lot of people are still incredulous to the idea of a female protagonist who's just naturally gifted, strong or talented in the same way that men are allowed to be, they're total Mary Sues until overpowered and violated by a (usually) stronger man.

Predators and abusers speak a shared language.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jedit posted:

Not as angry as I am that Terminator: SCC got cancelled in favour of Dollhouse.

didn't it also get cancelled because the rights went up in price due to that christian bale movie?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Was Whedon responsible for the Buffy plot line where a a lesbian turns evil after her girlfriend is murdered, but is saved by the love of a man?

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
I only really remember the first 4 seasons of Buffy, but I really don't know what you're referring to about Buffy getting beaten up for two hours. I can remember Giles being kidnapped and tortured...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Buffay the vampire layer

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The United States posted:

Since it has been mentioned I am now obligated to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKIK5ei_Lhg
That is probably the most overused song in tv and movie history.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m shocked this wasn’t the scene of Sarah Connor’s gangster friends explaining 9/11 to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPzzYhuhOxo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Martman posted:

Pointing out that people's opinions are subjective is in fact the most eye-rollingly tedious

You say that like it's obvious but I honestly think a lot of goons struggle to understand the concept.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m shocked this wasn’t the scene of Sarah Connor’s gangster friends explaining 9/11 to her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPzzYhuhOxo

That is the best scene in the history of cinema, the fact that it's just a VO with ominous music in the background while two gangsters make hand puppets of planes crashing into buildings.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FightingMongoose posted:

I only really remember the first 4 seasons of Buffy, but I really don't know what you're referring to about Buffy getting beaten up for two hours. I can remember Giles being kidnapped and tortured...

There was the episode where Giles drugged her and then set a vampire after her so she would be forced to kill it without being able to use her "specifically for fighting and killing vampires" powers, because the Watcher Council thought that was a good way to test Slayers.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

christmas boots posted:

You say that like it's obvious but I honestly think a lot of goons struggle to understand the concept.

How dare you. I am the protagonist, my thoughts are the correct ones.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The most annoying thing is that people sometimes seem to think that strong necessitates physical power, when complex combinations of motivation are what people mean by strong characters. A strong female character is not just someone who can beat up vampires, it's characters like the head of Programming in the movie Network - she has crawled to a high ranking position in the TV studio she works at and now proposes new shows and controls what makes it to air. However in doing so she hasbecome obsessed with programming to an unhealthy level, resulting in her losing any connection with real people other than as something she can exploit for views, leading to more and more extreme decisions like turning a news anchor's mental breakdown into a regular primetime show as he is allowed to rant about whatever he wants (with no one noticing or caring that his mental health is collapsing) and eventually signing exclusivity contracts with literal terrorists for coverage of their misbehaviour so that she can scoop the other channels.

This collapse into her obsession results in her relationship with the former head of news programming, who's job she kind of took over, also collapsing as he realises that he is the only real thing left in her life with everything else being just white noise designed to entrance people into giving the station money. So he leaves that relationship, leaving her clutching at straws because the situation she has created has spiralled out of control because of her creation ranting about something that her superiors didn't want him ranting about, so she's stuck, alone trying to keep the plates spinning as all of her terrible decisions come home to roost, eventually deciding on a final resolution to her problem. All her remaining empathy and humanity is by that point stripped from her and she is just a machine making decisions purely to boost ratings and protect her company, leading her to coldly decide that it's time the crazed anchor was taken off the air. In a way designed to pull in viewers, a public execution in the middle of his show disguised as an assassination. THAT's a strong character.

Spoilered because it's a movie from the 70s that a lot of people might not have seen.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That's one of the best scenes from the entire franchise, and one of the smartest way to do a big action piece without blowing your budget.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Network is an incredible movie everyone should watch it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

BioEnchanted posted:

The most annoying thing is that people sometimes seem to think that strong necessitates physical power, when complex combinations of motivation are what people mean by strong characters.

"Strong" doesn't, or shouldn't, mean powerful or influential even. To me, it means a character with a strong sense of self and will to actualize their goals. I recently rewatched Fargo and was struck by how strong a character Frances McDormand's Marge Gunderson is. She never physically engages anyone but just through will, tenacity, and intelligence manages to solve the case while still being very much a pregnant woman. So often "strong" women characters are portrayed as having traditionally masculine traits like aggressiveness, jocularity, and a lack of caring for others. There are other kinds of strength that rarely get explored. It was also a bonus that Marge's husband is this easy going dude that low key recognizes how strong his wife is without being threatened by her in any way. Movie aged well imo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Zaroff posted:

Was Whedon responsible for the Buffy plot line where a a lesbian turns evil after her girlfriend is murdered, but is saved by the love of a man?

Love is a man is stretching it...much more of a platonic love of long-term friendship? The whole "magic is drugs" angle (again, season 6 was bad, and I tend to think 7 even worse) was terrible.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Watching Cas Anvar on the first five seasons of The Expanse during my recent rewatch was a bit weird, especially since Alex was (and remains) one of my favorite characters on the show.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Alhazred posted:

That is probably the most overused song in tv and movie history.

I dunno if it was more overused, maybe it just seemed that way because I watched a lot of Scrubs, but I had a dream a few weeks ago I was hanging out with my friends but we were all wearing scrubs. Then suddenly Fray's "How to Save a Life" started playing and I was all "oh poo poo, everybody ok? Check all the rooms somethings going down someones dying."

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

800peepee51doodoo posted:

"Strong" doesn't, or shouldn't, mean powerful or influential even. To me, it means a character with a strong sense of self and will to actualize their goals.

Yeah following up on my somewhat unfocused one am post lol, this is what I meant by "Normal Again" being a gross episode. Buffy is arguably defined by that strong sense of self/ability to actualize her goals more than her physical strength. That is what I'm talking about when I say she's powerful. That episode took away that sense of self and ability to overcome terrible hardship in a pointless, incredibly exploitative way.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Everyone knows that a Strong character means they have at least a 16 Str score on a D&D character sheet

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/LisaMichelleEu1/status/1482659837284544513?s=20

This came out recently and already aged badly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wonder if that's better or worse than this thing

https://youtu.be/2DS0DssvTjc

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What if buffy had a gun.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

bobjr posted:

This came out recently and already aged badly.
I haven't seen it, but pretty sure that was just bad to start with

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zaroff posted:

I don't know how much influence/control he had over the show at that point but that (like a bunch of other questionable stuff) was in season 6 after Whedon had handed over the reins to Noxon.

She doesn't stop being a lesbian but it's a lovely plotline in a season full of them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It was the season ender, even after he handed day to day off he was still writing the season close story arcs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Volcott posted:

What if buffy had a gun.

She had a rocket launcher in that one episode and then never again

Feel like she should have kept that around

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was the season ender, even after he handed day to day off he was still writing the season close story arcs.

He didn't write that one because that was when he was doing Firefly.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

docbeard posted:

Watching Cas Anvar on the first five seasons of The Expanse during my recent rewatch was a bit weird, especially since Alex was (and remains) one of my favorite characters on the show.

I knew nothing about the actors and was falling off in season 5 anyway but uh... Well that explains why they killed him off.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Lexx was not a good show, but it was a great show.

Lexx was trash, but it was unpredictable trash that 100% unironically believed in what it was trying to do, even when what it was trying to do was incredibly stupid. For that, at least, it's incredibly refreshing as a piece of media.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know how much influence/control he had over the show at that point but that (like a bunch of other questionable stuff) was in season 6 after Whedon had handed over the reins to Noxon.

She doesn't stop being a lesbian but it's a lovely plotline in a season full of them.

It was a lovely plotline including an egregious fridging (although it did introduce me to Laika so it wasn't all bad), but it didn't play out the way anyone is describing it. Willow was already sinking long before and it had nothing to do with her being LGB. Nor is she "saved by the love of a man" except in the most technical sense, and certainly not in the "cured by dick" way that is being implied.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Great timing on Joss Whedon chat, because today, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, his rehabilitation has begun. And he went with the bold strategy of "No actually Ray Fisher's skin is too dark and he's a liar and bad actor."

https://twitter.com/Uber_Kryptonian/status/1483069900629422090?t=-m8QZsMaeBX39xVbEnJ25g&s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Reminder, sexual abuser Joss Whedon wasn't allowed to be alone in the room with teenage Michelle Trachtenberg.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Great timing on Joss Whedon chat, because today, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, his rehabilitation has begun. And he went with the bold strategy of "No actually Ray Fisher's skin is too dark and he's a liar and bad actor."

https://twitter.com/Uber_Kryptonian/status/1483069900629422090?t=-m8QZsMaeBX39xVbEnJ25g&s=19

What loving garbo.

Even if Fisher's acting was "bad" you are the director. It is your job to tutor him up. Cause you are the leader on set you loving jackass.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
It's definitely an "even if" hypothetical because he gives the best performance in the entire film (the real version, I mean, not Whedon's)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean even if he was a bad actor it doesn’t seem revelant to the main point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

It's definitely an "even if" hypothetical because he gives the best performance in the entire film (the real version, I mean, not Whedon's)

I didn't see it because you know, DC.