Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Trabisnikof posted:

AMOC hasn’t completely collapsed, it is just continuing to weaken and weaken towards collapse which is in line with that report

i think op was pointing out that unexpectedly high meltwater from greenland might throw their models out the window, and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

When I legitimately have no idea whether my provincial or federal government still exists, I will know we are well into it.

There will always be a municipal government though, when it changes from mayor/council or communist commune, cannibal tribe or warring gangs will be driven by local pressures.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Raine posted:

lol

i was actually thinking something along those lines, but with fentanyl or some other extremely strong pain reliever.

but i realized that even if that was the case, even if somehow he felt absolutely no pain at all, he was still conscious and sitting while his skin melted off and his lungs filled with fluid

^a quote from a witness, apparently

i dunno why this is so fascinating to me but if anyone ever achieved "enlightenment", it was this guy and people like him.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that maybe the buddhists are on to something

On the one hand he gave so little fucks about material reality that he burned himself alive and didn't flinch

On the other hand he did that as a form of protest because of other people's actions in the material world

7/10

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
AMOC collapsing will be incredible

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
What would the AMOC collapsing actually do?

I know predicting weather now is impossible since the winds and waters are flapping around like crazy but who cares

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

europe gets the same weather as northern canada

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Crow Buddy posted:

When I legitimately have no idea whether my provincial or federal government still exists, I will know we are well into it.

There will always be a municipal government though, when it changes from mayor/council or communist commune, cannibal tribe or warring gangs will be driven by local pressures.

Don’t worry, they’ll collect ground rents and push little people around until the last possible minute they can

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I know predicting weather now is impossible since the winds and waters are flapping around like crazy but who cares

almost impossible to know but i’d wager all those pretty english gardens are going to have a very bad time

also all the whales will die

mediaphage has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Jan 16, 2022

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's past time for whales to gently caress off

They know what they did

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Last time it happened temperatures in the north Atlantic dropped by 1-3 C

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'd let a city full of humans die to save one whale.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Off the top of my head, AMOC collapse would result in significant cooling of the entire Northern Hemisphere, more than enough to offset the heating from greenhouse gases:

It would also result in up to 50 cm of sea level rise around the North Atlantic basin, and have a disastrous effect on rainfall patterns in Europe especially, and significantly decrease crop productivity there. The UK would be hit especially hard.

There's a lot more but that's what I'm remembering

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
How's that hot spot in South America going? Wasn't it supposed to hit around now?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Off the top of my head, AMOC collapse would result in significant cooling of the entire Northern Hemisphere, more than enough to offset the heating from greenhouse gases:

It would also result in up to 50 cm of sea level rise around the North Atlantic basin, and have a disastrous effect on rainfall patterns in Europe especially, and significantly decrease crop productivity there. The UK would be hit especially hard.

There's a lot more but that's what I'm remembering

Thus shielding the global north from baking even as we cook the southern hemisphere, it's perfect

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Demilich posted:

ahh but what if instead, u let the city and the whales die :smug:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

vote

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

The Demilich posted:

Hell, my city

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mayor Dave posted:

Thus shielding the global north from baking even as we cook the southern hemisphere, it's perfect

You joke (or maybe not) but I wouldn't be surprised if "let's collapse AMOC on purpose" is suggested as an actual climate engineering solution once things start to get bad enough, because humans are really that stupid.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the lack of monsoons and the whole warm air water dynamics can’t be good for the river watersheds of asia, especially the indian subcontinent

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

The fact that the AMOC collapsing will cause much more relative harm to the global south than the global north, while at the same time giving more fodder to denialists, really makes me believe that evil is baked into the very fabric of reality. Gnosticism seems truer by the day.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Demilich posted:

I'm pretty sure you're now blocked from entry to Japan.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Platystemon posted:

There were eight years less two days between the PS3 and PS4.

The next generation was nearly as bad, seven years less twelve days between Xbox One and Xbox One Series X.

Oh poo poo, I don't pay very close attention to console releases. Clearly my sense of time is kinda hosed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Wisest Moron posted:

Oh poo poo, I don't pay very close attention to console releases. Clearly my sense of time is kinda hosed.

often competitors’ releases can be staggered by a year so it doesn’t feel like there’s a big gap

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm pretty sure you're now blocked from entry to Japan.

This is certainly true, but not for the reason you think. (Japan hasn't reopened their borders to gaijin.)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

A Russian troll farm posted:

The fact that the AMOC collapsing will cause much more relative harm to the global south than the global north, while at the same time giving more fodder to denialists, really makes me believe that evil is baked into the very fabric of reality. Gnosticism seems truer by the day.

If there is a hell, anyone not agreeing with Satan about this being a mistake belongs there.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Lol the collapse is here because we havent had a new video game console?? Huh

Yeah it's stupid and petty, but that's kind of the point. The wide availability of electronic entertainment media is a marker of how much excess our civilization is able to produce. If we get to a point where major corporations are no longer producing and developing this superfluous yet highly popular product then that points to significant material degradation in the economic structure.

Think about if you were an alien archeologist digging through human detritus and you get interested in their entertainment culture. You'd see a period starting in the 70s of these computers designed purely for entertainment. Plastics, silicone, rare metals, and significant labor are crystallized in these artifacts. This is a good signal of civilizational decadence and plenty. They continue to evolve over the following decades that happen to coincide with growing environmental shifts. You'd be able to track continued continued evolution in this line of objects up until they just stop appearing in any new form. That would either be indicative of the species wishing up about its priorities oorrrrr a loss of the manufacturing and technological systems that were capable of churning them out.

Again, obviously this is very 1st world centric and kinda goofy, but I think it would be one signal (among many) that things are getting "bad". Of course maybe we end up in a world where I can't find rice or beans on the shelves but I can still buy the latest Nintendo console from some dude in the parking lot who lifted it off a shipping container.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Crow Buddy posted:

That's a good and important marker.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

The Wisest Moron posted:

Yeah it's stupid and petty, but that's kind of the point. The wide availability of electronic entertainment media is a marker of how much excess our civilization is able to produce. If we get to a point where major corporations are no longer producing and developing this superfluous yet highly popular product then that points to significant material degradation in the economic structure.

Think about if you were an alien archeologist digging through human detritus and you get interested in their entertainment culture. You'd see a period starting in the 70s of these computers designed purely for entertainment. Plastics, silicone, rare metals, and significant labor are crystallized in these artifacts. This is a good signal of civilizational decadence and plenty. They continue to evolve over the following decades that happen to coincide with growing environmental shifts. You'd be able to track continued continued evolution in this line of objects up until they just stop appearing in any new form. That would either be indicative of the species wishing up about its priorities oorrrrr a loss of the manufacturing and technological systems that were capable of churning them out.

Again, obviously this is very 1st world centric and kinda goofy, but I think it would be one signal (among many) that things are getting "bad". Of course maybe we end up in a world where I can't find rice or beans on the shelves but I can still buy the latest Nintendo console from some dude in the parking lot who lifted it off a shipping container.

Honestly you could probably already tick that box off considering I think PS5 and 3080s are largely a theoretical existence at this point. I expect this will continue to exist and be created (or Musk created) but whether you can get one will be unlikely. It is even more likely that things like game studios stop publishing, even if the consoles exist, as they cannot get anyone to put in the bullshit needed because their house is underwater, or they are in the toilet paper line or have just succumb to despair.

I think a local staple, but one that isn't grown locally like coffee, not being available will be one of the early signs.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
For all the hooting about covid being a bioweapon, if a virus was designed to destroy capitalism it would attack coffee and tea bushes

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
Just wanted to say there are plenty of much more qualified posters around here currently hitting very high notes indeed on the topic of the limits to knowledge (most of them currently busy making the Covid thread shiver and shake), and I am not one of them.
I just figured I'd bring up that little caveat about the AMOC since at time of publication, reading the passage I cited hit that note for me.
I am in no way saying the IPCC is full of it or claiming the conclusion I led others to infer above will express itself any time soon (but I allow for the possibility).

Don't take my posts too seriously, I'm just another weirdo that tries to keep out of this thread for their own sanity.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
only nerds give a poo poo about credentials

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

only nerds give a poo poo about credentials

nerds and occasionally hr

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Car Hater posted:

For all the hooting about covid being a bioweapon, if a virus was designed to destroy capitalism it would attack coffee and tea bushes

the black market for anything with caffeine in it would be insane. there's a berry native to northeast NC that is naturally caffeinated. i forget the name at the moment, but i want to try growing some.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

the black market for anything with caffeine in it would be insane. there's a berry native to northeast NC that is naturally caffeinated. i forget the name at the moment, but i want to try growing some.

yaupon. it’s a cousin of yerba mate.

the scientific name is ilex vomitoria but that’s because dumb white people just watched indigenous folks use it and assumed it was an emetic

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Crow Buddy posted:

Honestly you could probably already tick that box off considering I think PS5 and 3080s are largely a theoretical existence at this point. I expect this will continue to exist and be created (or Musk created) but whether you can get one will be unlikely. It is even more likely that things like game studios stop publishing, even if the consoles exist, as they cannot get anyone to put in the bullshit needed because their house is underwater, or they are in the toilet paper line or have just succumb to despair.

I think a local staple, but one that isn't grown locally like coffee, not being available will be one of the early signs.

Yeah I expect there to be boutique game systems built right till the very end. Mass market consoles are going to die soon I suspect.

The grocery store today was out of cigarettes and that made me do a double take lol

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I saw a big old stellar jay accept my offering of peanuts today and all is right with the world :unsmith:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Narrator: the Jay had a peanut allergy

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Crow Buddy posted:

World’s Top Coffee Crop Keeps Shrinking, Leading to Shortage. Little relief coming next season amid droughts, low stockpiles.

The Big Brazil Frost: “This is dead, look at this,” he says and cuts a branch of a tree. “This is all dead. Everything is gone,” says Rocha, who lost between 80 and 90 per cent of his entire cultivated area.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Narrator: the Jay had a peanut allergy

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
who needs coffee when we have fentanyl

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Jan 17, 2022