Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Always remember that the original plan for iPlayer was to have all their archive stuff up there for free, until James Murdoch whined that it was an unfair advantage, so they limited it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trypsin
Jul 8, 2007
The rest of its output may range from forgettable to trash with few exceptions, but BBC kids programming, at least for the younger end, has a lot of good stuff.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

BBC4's budget is £55m/yr. Fund that, CBBC and sports coverage out of general taxation and let ITV broadcast Strictly Come Dancing 🤷‍♂️

There's also no reason Gary Lineker needs to present Match Of The Day. It could be hosted by a literal inanimate football and people would still tune in to watch the match highlights.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

marktheando posted:

Always remember that the original plan for iPlayer was to have all their archive stuff up there for free, until James Murdoch whined that it was an unfair advantage, so they limited it.

It's an unfair advantage for them to have a catalogue of high quality content, but it's not unfair to simply buy the competition? I see.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hopefully stuff like Eastenders will die off. I don't think people appreciate how much of an influence the government has on the storylines, and how much it's been used since the beginning to condition and alter public opinion. A drunken ex police chief boasted about this fact when he was trying to sweettalk potential National Cannabis Coalition board members to sign up. It's literal brainwashing propaganda, and has a huge influence on the population. Whatever happens on the soap is then reported about in the tabloids, and then talked about on other TV shows, and then at work, home and at the pub etc.

I haven't been able to watch a soap since I saw the same happen on ITV with the commercially purchased Izzy/Cannabis story.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

Art Attack

Very much an ITV programme.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

It's an unfair advantage for them to have a catalogue of high quality content, but it's not unfair to simply buy the competition? I see.

Buying the competition? How about flooding the country with cracked decoder cards for the competitor product instead?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I May Destroy You was a BBC production right? Maybe a co production with HBO. That was one of the best shows I’ve ever watched.

I’ll miss Radio 6 a lot if that gets the chop.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dugong posted:

I’ll miss Radio 6 a lot if that gets the chop.

Same.
I'm not a genre music person, I like different poo poo, sure a lot of people are the same.
I get a lot of good stuff from Radio 6, absolute cracking amazing songs that you would never hear on commercial radio.

Even BBC Radio NI is good, profiling local bands. Was chuffed as gently caress when a friend's band got noticed back in the early 2000s on it but they never took off.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The problem with the BBC is the same problem with everything in Britain, its rammed full of tories who resent the public good and think they'd make more money private.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

happyhippy posted:

Same.
I'm not a genre music person, I like different poo poo, sure a lot of people are the same.
I get a lot of good stuff from Radio 6, absolute cracking amazing songs that you would never hear on commercial radio.

There're so many good DJs on Radio 6. Gilles Peterson is the most obvious, but I really enjoy Huey, Cerys, Mary Ann Hobbes, Craig Charles...Afrodeustche and Jamz have got their own shows recently and they're awesome too.

Seriously, it's just almost non-stop great music, such an amazing channel

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i listen to radio 2 because i am :corsair:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
jeremy vine can be quite funny "on the show today: should we remove covid restrictions even if it means more older people dying, should we go to war with France over fishing, and what is Britain's best car park?"

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Barry Foster posted:

There're so many good DJs on Radio 6. Gilles Peterson is the most obvious, but I really enjoy Huey, Cerys, Mary Ann Hobbes, Craig Charles...Afrodeustche and Jamz have got their own shows recently and they're awesome too.

Seriously, it's just almost non-stop great music, such an amazing channel

Guy Garvey can get in the bin though

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Don’t watch the telly anymore except for Only Connect but they’ll take the bbc sport website out of my cold dead hands

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Blasmeister posted:

Don’t watch the telly anymore except for Only Connect but they’ll take the bbc sport website out of my cold dead hands

Yeah, sport would be a huge loss, BBC Sport coverage is basically unparalleled. Especially in terms of being able to watch an event without every alternating 5 minutes being YOU LOVE GAMBLING FANCY A BET DON'T TELL THE MISSUS BET THE KID'S POCKET MONEY GO ON.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 16, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1482765799215575044

My loyal Labrador

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 16, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

Hopefully stuff like Eastenders will die off. I don't think people appreciate how much of an influence the government has on the storylines, and how much it's been used since the beginning to condition and alter public opinion. A drunken ex police chief boasted about this fact when he was trying to sweettalk potential National Cannabis Coalition board members to sign up. It's literal brainwashing propaganda, and has a huge influence on the population. Whatever happens on the soap is then reported about in the tabloids, and then talked about on other TV shows, and then at work, home and at the pub etc.

I haven't been able to watch a soap since I saw the same happen on ITV with the commercially purchased Izzy/Cannabis story.

One of the main reasons for creating The Archers in 1951 (R4 and which was inflicted on me from the day I was born until even now if I visit mother at the wrong time of day) was so the government could spread essential information to the farming communities post-WW2 in a way they were more likely to take it in.

Uganda has a drama with a similar reason for existence - Makutano Junction. There may be other countries doing the same.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

My Loyal Labourdor

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of the main reasons for creating The Archers in 1951 (R4 and which was inflicted on me from the day I was born until even now if I visit mother at the wrong time of day) was so the government could spread essential information to the farming communities post-WW2 in a way they were more likely to take it in.

Uganda has a drama with a similar reason for existence - Makutano Junction. There may be other countries doing the same.

The weird thing about the tories kneecapping the BBC is them not realising how much its output like the Archers sets the sort of timbre of Britishness that's really sympathetic with conservative ideals.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Borsetshire sounds like somewhere Donald Trump would claim to have visited.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Tell you what, one thing that's for certain is that there's no shortage of news this weekend. Almost like they're trying to deflect from something(!)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Szmitten posted:

Didn't a BBC employee here say that they have access to a secret internal version of the iPlayer that basically has access to every single thing ever broadcast on BBC television and were watching Blackadder and Ghostwatch and whatever the gently caress from the 70s at will? Monetise access to that archive.
The BBC could save a lot of money just by not making any new stuff at all. :haw: Have an iPlayer Unlimited sub to get access to the complete archives, and all the people who complain that "telly's rubbish these days, not like it used to be" can pony up for infinite You Have Been Watching... sitcoms or start EastEnders from scratch.

Actually, all those 70s and 80s thrillers that were either released on now out-of-print (and hence silly eBay money) DVDs like Bird Of Prey or The Nightmare Man, or were never put on DVD at all like The Assassination Run, would likely find a market amongst the Olds too. [Looks around shiftily] iPlayer Unlimited would probably come with a default Bergerac 24/7 channel.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

If my son ever gets to watch TV, I will only ever have Cbeebies on as I definitely don't want him watching anything that has adverts.

If that goes, I would be upset.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Prole posted:

Tell you what, one thing that's for certain is that there's no shortage of news this weekend. Almost like they're trying to deflect from something(!)

asteroid?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tsietisin posted:

If my son ever gets to watch TV, I will only ever have Cbeebies on as I definitely don't want him watching anything that has adverts.

If that goes, I would be upset.

lol, i live with my nephew and his parents said the same. You should see the youtube poo poo we watch now to placate him. Often in the car

like some youtube millionaire that has endless videos of him pushing matchbox cars across the floor.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'd go for a BBC unlimited subscription and claim it as a tax write off for my podcast where I review every episode of Eastenders.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

where I review every episode of Eastenders.

react is the word you want

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

At one point Eastenders was actually doing a pretty good job of warning us about letting posh people into the east end (gently caress you Collis Browne), but around 1995 they very obviously fired every writer who'd ever even seen an actual cockney and then every single plotline was either gangsters, drug addicts, or domestic violence.

Of course it also suffers from the fact that while it was an unrealistic setting[1] when it started, it's not basically about as realistic as loving Middle Earth. The market would have been shut down by noise complaints from the first wave of yuppies in the 90s, the Queen Vic would now at best be owned by hipsters and all the old fittings would have been ripped out and replaced with benches from a school chemistry lab or some poo poo but rather more likely would have been closed down and divvied into a dozen flats, and every building on the square itself would have suffered an unfortunate fire and now be a five-story block of 3-box "luxury" apartments. The actual east end was already dying when the show started, killed by Right to Buy and economic cleansing, but the corpse stopped twitching by 2000 and even the worms that ate it are long gone.

[1] I'll give the original writers some slight credit here. Albert Square was a pretty good pastiche of the kind of little squares that people don't actually think about when they think about the East End but are actually one of it's signature styles - the very obvious influence is Albert Gardens in Stepney, but there are dozens of these little parks surrounded by nice solid Victorian townhouses. The problem is that they picked a very, very different style of houses to put around them, half-sunk terraces, like these ones in Bow. The difference is important - the former style of housing were big, single-family dwellings for the better-off middle classes (they're known as "Captains houses" in Stepney and Poplar - or were, at least - to reflect that the person living there was of some means, and of course captains and ship owners were the sort of people who'd own a house like that in the east end). The latter were however designed to be flexibly sold as 1, 2 or 3 dwellings as needed. You can tell the difference by the amount of light the basement flat gets - in the posh houses the basement was the servants quarters and nobody gave a poo poo, in the poorer ones you wanted to be able to sell the basement flat as a house in it's own right.

The point is you'd *never* get that sort of house around that sort of square. You also *definitely* wouldn't have a market right next to it, for the same reasons - markets were for poor people, you'd never see houses rich enough for servant quarters around them. Also the market was comically undersized - all of the tiny local markets barely made it out of WW2 and the advent of the first chain stores, they were certainly looong gone by the 80s. And of course the underground station is just all bloody wrong, that style of above-ground station is 100% a south and west London thing - the District and Central lines[1] run in culverts and tunnels all the way out to Essex (although I suppose they had to have somewhere to put the dodgy garage, but in the east end it would be under a mainline arch).

Okay I realise I'm probably just overreacting to having had London Stadium inflicted on me today, but poo poo still gets me heated.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Christ. If only.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

The BBC could save a lot of money just by not making any new stuff at all. :haw: Have an iPlayer Unlimited sub to get access to the complete archives, and all the people who complain that "telly's rubbish these days, not like it used to be" can pony up for infinite You Have Been Watching... sitcoms or start EastEnders from scratch.

Actually, all those 70s and 80s thrillers that were either released on now out-of-print (and hence silly eBay money) DVDs like Bird Of Prey or The Nightmare Man, or were never put on DVD at all like The Assassination Run, would likely find a market amongst the Olds too. [Looks around shiftily] iPlayer Unlimited would probably come with a default Bergerac 24/7 channel.

I think I mentioned this before but a lot of those short-run thrillers are tied up in licensing deal purgatory thanks to Fremantle Media snapping them up in the naughties for DVD releases just as the arse fell out of the market, and people being unwilling to unpick the contracts to let them back out onto the airwaves. Almost all of Euston Films' output apart from The Sweeney and Minder are trapped in there, along with quite a few 70s and 80s BBC shows and, apparently, the UK rights to Prisoner Cell Block H and The Larry Sanders Show.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

This is just...wrong. The cool poo poo on the margins isn't going to exist in a free market free for all & I have no loving idea how someone who posts in this thread & generally has right takes can come to the view that the source of the BBC being bad is that the free market would do it better. Pressures of the market simply means a race to the bottom. loving Ancient Aliens & Secret of Oak Island & all this absolute brain rot dreck my father seems addicted to.

Except it... does? Like I can watch stuff right now on youtube that I find infinitely more interesting than anything I have seen on either the state or other private broadcasters, and I put that down to the decentralization of production. The BBC is state run right now and it runs absolute dogshit, private enterprises are privately run and run absolute dogshit, youtube also runs absolute dogshit, but only one of those actually also produces anything I would want to watch, as does the internet at large, because if literally anyone can put random poo poo up they think is interesting then chances are someone else might think it is interesting too, which is far more likely to produce something I think is interesting than a bunch of loving professional "writers" or whatever they have in traditional broadcasting orgs.

I don't find the marketization appealing but as that is the only expression that actually exists at present of decentralized production, it absolutely makes me a fan of that method of production over professionalized poo poo like the BBC, so as I said, my preference is for youtube and a UBI, which I don't think is a particularly out there position given that people have already suggested that much of british arts production is down to the social safety net of previous decades allowing random people the opportunity to produce art.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1482842484002721793?s=20

Going to sit back and watch our Sensible Blue Tick friends howl over this one!

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Pencils R Cool posted:

It's a weak attack compared to everything that's been unearthed about the Tories, but did the Labour Party not foresee this? As soon as they got a sniff of a poll lead this was inevitable. Expect Mandelson/Epstein stories soon, and probably Savile again too.

I have absolutely no loving sympathy anymore. Keith deserves to be taught the lesson of how this works because he and his team are absolutely useless. Naïve and arrogant. A deadly combo.

It's going to be so much fun watching Labour and the Tories fight in the mud on the weeks to come. Sorry if it sounds trite but they really are as bad as each other right now. You think this incarnation of Labour wouldn't be wrapped up in their own hypocrisies and corruption scandals if they were in power? Think again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My enduring memory of new labour was blair jumping ship the minute it looked like all the poo poo he'd been doing might catch up with him and then seemingly non stop poo poo coming up the entire time brown was in charge, so low rent tory boy club is exactly what I expect from this lot.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Except it... does? Like I can watch stuff right now on youtube that I find infinitely more interesting than anything I have seen on either the state or other private broadcasters, and I put that down to the decentralization of production. The BBC is state run right now and it runs absolute dogshit, private enterprises are privately run and run absolute dogshit, youtube also runs absolute dogshit, but only one of those actually also produces anything I would want to watch, as does the internet at large, because if literally anyone can put random poo poo up they think is interesting then chances are someone else might think it is interesting too, which is far more likely to produce something I think is interesting than a bunch of loving professional "writers" or whatever they have in traditional broadcasting orgs.

I don't find the marketization appealing but as that is the only expression that actually exists at present of decentralized production, it absolutely makes me a fan of that method of production over professionalized poo poo like the BBC, so as I said, my preference is for youtube and a UBI, which I don't think is a particularly out there position given that people have already suggested that much of british arts production is down to the social safety net of previous decades allowing random people the opportunity to produce art.

I mean, OK, if all you want is to have Barshens brought back as they are forced to play/suffer through another terrible game for my amusement. But The Fall Of Eagles has a cast of real professional actors who were very talented & a whole film crew and location filming & while it's pretty low budget by American TV standards I'm not sure who on YouTube is able to replicate that. Because it costs money and takes a lot of time. Sure, you can watch it on YouTube but aside from pirated poo poo that nobody can be bothered putting a copyright claim on YouTube isn't a platform for dramas.

Kind of bewildered here. Obviously the BBC as it stands is pretty poor... that's because the freemarket ran wild over it. A state broadcaster can do these things on a budget that a YouTuber couldn't. And there's a long way between having a budget and having an excessive budget.

There just something a bit philistine about this attitude. I don't really watch movies anymore because at some point I have destroyed my attention span. I'm Still glad movies exist, even if generally there is a high percentage of poo poo that sounds like at best fluff and at worst complete slurry. It's the bit from Comedy Vehicle about E4 just being a sewage pipe direct into your front room, but instead of E4 it's the latest sequel to something you liked when you were 8. But even in the Holywood system you get something harrowing & moving & fantastic like Hunger.

I like Radio 6. It's far from perfect, day time DJs won't stop talking, they keep up the good British media ignoring of the very many forms of heavy metal and punk rock (unless it's 70s punk) and by god do they love to play way too much Kate Bush & Elbow. But then you listen to the closest commercial competition, Radio X & holy poo poo, bring back Craig Charles & Lauren Laverne.

I don't know where I'm going, I'm a poo poo writer when it comes to coherence.

A state broadcaster has an important place. The BBC being deeply flawed because 40+ years of Tories choosing who sits on the board & makes decisions doesn't change that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't see how or why we could make a distinction between the BBC being a state broadcaster and the BBC being where it is? It is part of the government, it has always been, it has been instrumental in the political course of the country, I don't understand how I am supposed to just say "these are the good bits and that is what a state broadcaster should be and these are the bad bits which is a result of the... state... bit of that arrangement deciding what it shoud.. broadcast?

If we are going to spend stupid amounts of money on useless poo poo I would genuinely prefer they just gave that money directly to everyone and let them decide what to spend it on, and I entirely believe that that has more potential for producing interesting entertainment as well as other, actually useful things. I don't think art gets that much better the more money is funneled into it compared to giving that same money to more people. And if anything I would generally say the inverse is true.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd be ok with 6 Music going if someone could just get Mary Anne Hobbs her own station to replace it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pencils R Cool posted:

excuse me but I need to know more about these shades he’s rocking, maybe it’s just fortunate lighting but he looks like Mac Tonight with hair and frankly it’s the best I’ve ever seen him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

I truly believe every democratic society should have a good public service broadcaster. Unfortunately I no longer believe the UK is a functioning democracy, nor that the BBC can be thought of as broadcasting in the public's service. It's become a propaganda machine for an authoritarian soft dictatorship...

That's not good, and no amount of obscure 80s folk punk classics on Radio 6 improves things any. The BBC will continue to exist in some form, so presumably so will 6 Music. But I don't think it's acceptable any longer to legislate that people pay for it on pain of prosecution. Will I miss some things? Maybe. Probably. Enough to continue to allow the sort of bias we've witnessed in the last 6 years? Not a chance.

Prole fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 17, 2022