Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Can anyone reccomend some good co-op rpgs for me and my wife? We really enjoyed Divinity OS 1/2, Magicka, and Saints Row 3/4. Bounced off MH:W due to how annoying it was to setup a coop game on PC and also neither of us really clicked with the gameplay. Stuff with multiplayer like dark souls and code vein also didn't really feel like we were progressing together. If it's not obvious we also exclusively play on PC :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Xun posted:

Can anyone reccomend some good co-op rpgs for me and my wife? We really enjoyed Divinity OS 1/2, Magicka, and Saints Row 3/4. Bounced off MH:W due to how annoying it was to setup a coop game on PC and also neither of us really clicked with the gameplay. Stuff with multiplayer like dark souls and code vein also didn't really feel like we were progressing together. If it's not obvious we also exclusively play on PC :v:

I like, barely recognize that definition of co-op RPG beyond "co-op campaign with stats sort of" so I'm going to go wild with it and drop this list

River City Ransom Underground
River City Girls
Mercenary Kings
Borderlands 3 if you liked Borderlands 2
Dying Light

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Xun posted:

Wasteland 3

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I like, barely recognize that definition of co-op RPG beyond "co-op campaign with stats sort of" so I'm going to go wild with it and drop this list

River City Ransom Underground
River City Girls
Mercenary Kings
Borderlands 3 if you liked Borderlands 2
Dying Light

Yeah idk, I mean RPG as in there's like...a continuous story? In comparison to something like Vermintide or Deeprock Galactic where there's a neat setting and mission specific quests but the intended gameplay isn't really about that.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Xun posted:

Nine Parchments is basically another Magicka game

Full Metal Furies is worth looking at as well

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Xun posted:

Yeah idk, I mean RPG as in there's like...a continuous story? In comparison to something like Vermintide or Deeprock Galactic where there's a neat setting and mission specific quests but the intended gameplay isn't really about that.

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 is like a RTS rpg where you control a squad through a story campaign with gear and level ups.

Waateland 3 is a good rec.

Valheim is a gather and build game with a deliberate progression path through boss fights.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Semi-serious comedy answer: Streets of Rage 4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's nothing funny about that!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

There's nothing funny about that!

The Streets of Rage 4 guy has logged on

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Streets of Rage 4 isn't an RPG, but it is one of the best co-op games out there. It also has a story: gangs (including the police) are jerks and you need to punch them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Streets of Rage 4 is absolutely fantastic, as long as you don't try to coop it online. The netcode is miserable.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Xun posted:

Wasteland 3 is probably the best recommendation I can think of. It is very similar in vibe to DOS - ie RTWP, control a little group, decent story. I thought it was definitely solid to play through in coop.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

tildes posted:

Wasteland 3 is probably the best recommendation I can think of. It is very similar in vibe to DOS - ie RTWP, control a little group, decent story. I thought it was definitely solid to play through in coop.

The game is not rtwp, it is completely turn based

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

tildes posted:

DOS Isn't RTWP and neither is Wasteland?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Xun posted:

Yeah, co-op campaign. All the games I listed have that, though it should be noted that Mercenary Kings has progression and mission objectives/mechanics pulled directly from Monster Hunter. I mean, like, it is Monster Hunter but the combat is a run-and-gun platformer. Everything else is Monster Hunter and I'd say it's the weakest of the suggestions I listed, but it does exist.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The game is not rtwp, it is completely turn based

Jack Trades posted:

DOS Isn't RTWP and neither is Wasteland?

Y’all are both right ty!— what I meant is “you walk around in real time until you get into a fight, and then it is all turn based”, not RTWP.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yakuza is a RTWP role playing game :) :)

I AM SERIOUS.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is there a giant-monster-slaying game that occupies the midpoint between Horizon Zero Dawn and Monster Hunter in terms of pace? In HZD you can kill small prey with like one perfect arrow shot, while as I understand it in MH even really skillful and experienced play against the larger monsters is still a 15+ minute fight.

Ideally I'd like something closer to the HZD side but where fighting e.g. a Thunderjaw or Fireclaw is the baseline rather than the greatest challenge the game has to offer, but anything between the two extremes would be of interest.

(Also to head it off -- I tried Dauntless and hated it. Shallow, boring, poor feedback on hits, and the F2P scheme sucked.)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

as I understand it in MH even really skillful and experienced play against the larger monsters is still a 15+ minute fight.

That all really depends on what you mean by skillful and experienced. I mean, there are arena fights where the A ranking is just a few minutes, and speedrunners kill the hardest stuff in the game in just a few minutes too. I'm not a speedrunner though. However, I still can clear some A's in the arena and if I need to kill something more than a couple times, I build a set for it and it generally takes like, I dunno 8 minutes each if I'm decently geared and using a weapon that doesn't suck. I When I had just started playing MH, it did take quite a bit of time learning it all but now I get through it faster in each new game, and Rise in particular is pretty easy to get into. I would actually say that the midpoint between HZD and Monster Hunter is just Monster Hunter Rise, in a way. Looking from previous entries to that one, it's worth noting.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there a giant-monster-slaying game that occupies the midpoint between Horizon Zero Dawn and Monster Hunter in terms of pace? In HZD you can kill small prey with like one perfect arrow shot, while as I understand it in MH even really skillful and experienced play against the larger monsters is still a 15+ minute fight.

Ideally I'd like something closer to the HZD side but where fighting e.g. a Thunderjaw or Fireclaw is the baseline rather than the greatest challenge the game has to offer, but anything between the two extremes would be of interest.

(Also to head it off -- I tried Dauntless and hated it. Shallow, boring, poor feedback on hits, and the F2P scheme sucked.)

Prey for the Gods just came out which is a slightly different take on Shadow of the Colossus with exploration/crafting (sadly)/and enemies in between the large bosses.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for both of those, and especially for giving two PC titles when I forgot to even ask. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've been interested in Praey for the Gods but I'm not sure how I really feel about adding crafting and survival sim elements into an SOTC-like. It feels very conflicted and the reviews on Steam seem to reflect this.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dragon's Dogma

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dragon's Dogma is fantastic but the giant monsters aren't that frequent in that game.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The God of War that just got released to PC?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Xun posted:

Have you played outward?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

TERA

it may have been canceled by now, I don’t know, but the combat was pretty great and actiony for what is ostensibly an MMO

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If I wanted a Privateer/Freelancer game loop with extremely customizable vehicles, what game should I play? Space sim is fine, but other vehicle types would be nice too (boat/tank/mech/whatever)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

If I wanted a Privateer/Freelancer game loop with extremely customizable vehicles, what game should I play? Space sim is fine, but other vehicle types would be nice too (boat/tank/mech/whatever)

Everspace 2 is in early access but really great and feels alot like Freelancer. Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries is close too, but not exactly that loop (you take missions, repair and refit your squad, repeat).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

if 2D is okay, Starsector. it's fleet combat with a player-controlled flagship and loadout customization is ludicrously deep, especially once you factor in all the various differences between building ships for player use vs. for the AI, and the economy side is just substantial enough to provide a robust context for the battles

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if 2D is okay, Starsector. it's fleet combat with a player-controlled flagship and loadout customization is ludicrously deep, especially once you factor in all the various differences between building ships for player use vs. for the AI, and the economy side is just substantial enough to provide a robust context for the battles

This game is excellent, BUT the loop is really far from Freelancer. It is a lot closer to like Mount and Blade, in that you manage multiple ships and battles are tactical multi unit affairs, and have to manage things like fuel and supplies.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm looking for an RPG with deep mechanical systems to sink my teeth into. Something genuinely a little obtuse with lots of character advancement and build customization options, preferably something that requires more than just hitting the Water Enemy with Lightning Attacks or w/e. I love Job systems, especially if they let you get clever with it and do some gamebreaky stuff. I've played what I think most people would say are the big ones (various FFs, Bravely, Octopath) and found them fine but they just didn't quite have the depth I was craving - or they were so grindy that the fun felt locked behind hours and hours of tedium. Optimally this hypothetical imaginary game would also be fairly challenging to make the whole Deep Mechanical Systems stuff worthwhile. One reason I bounced off Disgaea was everything felt like a cakewalk or a level gate. I know all of my examples are JRPGs or Tactics RPGs but that's not a hard requirement or anything, they just seem most likely to have this sorta thing.

Weirdly the closest game in *vibe* I'm kinda craving is God Hand, something about how the moment-to-moment gameplay is always asking you to improve really appeals. don't suppose anyone knows of a magical god hand inspired ludicrously complicated final fantasy tactics clone with a sort of morrowind idealism wrt player agency?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm looking for an RPG with deep mechanical systems to sink my teeth into. Something genuinely a little obtuse with lots of character advancement and build customization options, preferably something that requires more than just hitting the Water Enemy with Lightning Attacks or w/e. I love Job systems, especially if they let you get clever with it and do some gamebreaky stuff. I've played what I think most people would say are the big ones (various FFs, Bravely, Octopath) and found them fine but they just didn't quite have the depth I was craving - or they were so grindy that the fun felt locked behind hours and hours of tedium. Optimally this hypothetical imaginary game would also be fairly challenging to make the whole Deep Mechanical Systems stuff worthwhile. One reason I bounced off Disgaea was everything felt like a cakewalk or a level gate. I know all of my examples are JRPGs or Tactics RPGs but that's not a hard requirement or anything, they just seem most likely to have this sorta thing.

Weirdly the closest game in *vibe* I'm kinda craving is God Hand, something about how the moment-to-moment gameplay is always asking you to improve really appeals. don't suppose anyone knows of a magical god hand inspired ludicrously complicated final fantasy tactics clone with a sort of morrowind idealism wrt player agency?

I basically guarantee you won't find an RPG with build options and tactical variety more complex than Underrail.

It's also an incredibly amazing game in general.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 16, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Well, if ridiculously overcomplicated is your thing, I hear Troubleshooter has that in spades.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This isn't really FFT style, but it is something I think is just really interesting for tactics game players. The game is Iron Danger and basically, you have a big tanky fighty guy and you have a caster type person. You can't afford to have either of them die. Fortunately, the castery person has the ability to rewind time, so you end up treating encounters like a planned brawl. Thing is, the brawls go on longer than you can rewind, so even though you can overcome tactical errors, strategic errors can be more difficult. It's something I'd put on a wishlist and buy on sale because it's a cool thing to have played, if you like tactics games and you want something interesting.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

I basically guarantee you won't find an RPG with build options and tactical variety more complex than Underrail.

It's also an incredibly amazing game in general.

Enough folks have suggested this one before that I think it'll be what I try next, thanks!

anilEhilated posted:

Well, if ridiculously overcomplicated is your thing, I hear Troubleshooter has that in spades.

Troubleshooter I should def give another try

signalnoise posted:

This isn't really FFT style, but it is something I think is just really interesting for tactics game players. The game is Iron Danger and basically, you have a big tanky fighty guy and you have a caster type person. You can't afford to have either of them die. Fortunately, the castery person has the ability to rewind time, so you end up treating encounters like a planned brawl. Thing is, the brawls go on longer than you can rewind, so even though you can overcome tactical errors, strategic errors can be more difficult. It's something I'd put on a wishlist and buy on sale because it's a cool thing to have played, if you like tactics games and you want something interesting.

This looks pretty neat!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Allow me to introduce you to a game called Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

25 classes, each with 6 sub-classes. 13 prestige classes for a total of 163 classes! Plus 10 "mythic paths" that stack additional abilities on top of all that. Too many options for a single character? Good news! You have a party of 6. A bunch of storyline NPCs that fill various niches and can be partially (or entirely if you get the very easy to work with Respec mod) respeced. Don't want any of those nerds? Hire mercenaries fairly early into the game to fully customize your party. Don't want to commit to a single class? There are super flexible multiclassing options! It's marvelous! It's confusing! You'll probably gently caress up as you're trying to process the billion options the game throws at you.

It is a PC game though if that's a problem.

Also it's not God-Hand inspired and doesn't give as much agency as you'd hope for but Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark wears it's FFT DNA on its lapel like it's the Congressional Medal of Honor. Also a PC game though so YMMV.

Ok, my turn. Any suggestions for an open world where you have so many options of what to do all your synapses hyperfocus and you don't have any neurons left to be sad? The sort of game where you go 'ok I have a bunch of missions to the south so if I do them then I'll probably be at a high enough level to that and then...' and then you promptly wander east because you are just so drat curious what's over there? Yes I do have ADHD why do you ask? It helps if it's the sort of game where you can wander into areas you can't handle and escape with treasure/etc. I've played the Bethesda platter, Might and Magic, every major infinity engine release and it's scions etc.

(This isn't the first time I've complained about this in this thread but I'm still waiting on my M&M 7 spiritual successor. Everybody is all 'you know what's great about M&M? Tight constraining dungeons let's do that 50 times! Boo. Gimmie dat 7)

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 17, 2022

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Also it's not God-Hand inspired and doesn't give as much agency as you'd hope for but Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark wears it's FFT DNA on its lapel like it's the Congressional Medal of Honor. Also a PC game though so YMMV.

Fell Seal is available on a number of consoles.

I too would love an alternative to Freelancer/Privateer and Starsector/Mount and Blade.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

ChrisBTY posted:

Allow me to introduce you to a game called Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

I like pen and paper Pathfinder, but I found Kingmaker to be very bad in terms of translating those to game mechanics. Is WotR any better at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm not familiar enough with P&P Pathfinder to say.