Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Where the gently caress is the money, fiancee?
He doesn't want to pay it back because he didn't think he did wrong. It's not gone it's just his now.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm dying to know what he calls a coaster.

A circle stainy stop?

A table forcefield?

He places his glass on the floor in solidarity with the hoi polloi.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

I don't think there's any reason to believe the collector did anything but act in good faith, but I am somewhat confused by the fact that OP is 'having to demand their money back' from fiancee and that this is apparently a problem.

Where the gently caress is the money, fiancee?
He put the money towards paying their debts and student loans so they can get married debt free.

Just kidding, he pocketed it and bought some poo poo for himself, I bet.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Demanding the money seems like a bad idea. Demand your poo poo back. Taking the money could give him a case that he didn't really steal from you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

Demanding the money seems like a bad idea. Demand your poo poo back. Taking the money could give him a case that he didn't really steal from you.

I think she wants the money back to get her stuff back from the collector who bought her stuff.

Between "hey this was stolen" and "here's the cash you gave the thief for it" she's a lot more likely to get it back than if only one of those things happens.

E: and it's better that she goes to get her poo poo back than the thief does because him doing it means trusting him with holding onto the poo poo she values for longer than is absolutely necessary.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm dying to know what he calls a coaster.

A circle stainy stop?

A table forcefield?

quote:

I showed my boyfriend this post and all the comments and his answer to this question was he has never had a coaster. They didn't exist in his house

But like, do you never go out? Or what do you call them at the OP's place?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

We never had coasters at my home when I was a kid, but it’s not like I never ever came across the concept. I’m voting “brain broke by left Twitter”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

poisonpill posted:

We never had coasters at my home when I was a kid, but it’s not like I never ever came across the concept. I’m voting “brain broke by left Twitter”

I’m not sure how twitter can shield him from a concept

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

He’s lying to save face

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Naming things is a tool that the bourgeoisie use to keep down the proletariat

Defy convention. Point at things and grunt

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If using foreign words is classist, what do the people in those countries use? And if it's ok for them, aren't we supposed to have international solidarity against the capitalists?

Q.E.D. I'm right and you're wrong.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Naming things is a tool that the bourgeoisie use to keep down the proletariat

Defy convention. Point at things and grunt

Using words like bourgeoisie and proletariat is classism.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

It's from a few days ago but just saw this on the AITA Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AITA_online/status/1478756478349627399

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

It's from a few days ago but just saw this on the AITA Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AITA_online/status/1478756478349627399

I don't remember any stories with Honda civics?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for telling my family I didn't want to cook my recipes for them anymore?

quote:

I (27F) grew up in very classic "meat and potatoes" kind of family. They will *rarely* eat any sort of ethnic food besides very basic Italian food (we're an Italian family) and sometimes sweet and sour chicken. Dinner most nights consisted of meat (usually cooked within an inch of its life), mashed potatoes, and microwaved corn or peas & carrots. I grew up constantly being told I was an extremely picky eater. It took me a couple of years after moving out for college to realize this actually wasn't the case. Basically, I don't like microwaved/boiled vegetables (especially when they're unseasoned), I don't like my meat cooked dry, and I don't care for meatloaf. As a kid/teenager I didn't really love food/eating, but in college, I got to try so many new things and really fell in love with cooking. Eating a wide variety of foods became the norm for me.

I am now a PhD student and cooking is my side hobby--any chance I get I'm taking classes, and I've become a really good Italian cook in particular. I will often post pics of my dishes on social media. My family comments on my cooking and says they want me to make things for them the next time I'm home.

The way this has gone in the past is that I'll make a dish where I'm intentionally not straying far from their comfort zone, but it might still be a new dish for them. They always end up hating it. One night I made penne with truffle parmesan sauce and pan-seared chicken breasts. They were put off by the truffle and by the fact that I used himalayan pink salt and pepper for the chicken instead of just regular salt. Another time, I made paneer butter masala, with barely any spice added to it since they have mild palates. I figured this would be fun because they love pasta with tomato sauce and cheese, and this is basically just blocks of cheese with tomato sauce. They complained about how "weird" the dish was. The final straw was when I made a pasta dish they normally love--pasta, oregano, pancetta, and romano cheese. But when I fried the pancetta, I fried it with a splash of chardonnay. They said this made the dish inedible for them.

This break, as soon as I got home everyone was asking me when I'd make one of my recipes they see on Facebook for them. I said that I'd be happy to cook for them, but not one of my recipes. They asked why and I said I didn't feel like putting in the work just to have them refuse to try something based on it being "weird" to them. This led to them calling me an AH for being a "snob" and acting like I'm more cultured than them just because I like to eat "wild food." People were hurt that they were getting "cut out" of my hobby/that I didn't want to do something special for them. So, am I the AH/snob here? I'm not trying to act like I'm better, but I don't want to accommodate their pickiness anymore.

Best picky eater story ever.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my family I didn't want to cook my recipes for them anymore?

Best picky eater story ever.

I just don't understand the mentality of constantly hating something and then being shocked when the person doing it for you stops doing it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Dr. Stab posted:

There's this whole category of stories that are: One person sets an explicit boundary, second person agrees, then violates that boundary at the first opportunity, with the excuse of "but I really wanted to."

How do these people get into long-term relationships? It's never "guy I started dating 3 weeks ago" but "fiance" or "spouse of 30 years."

Many, many of these stories (to the point of majority) are creative writing exercises done by young people. For better or worse they're tolerated in this thread for the sake of entertainment, I guess.

I wouldn't despair about society too much based on the content of r/AITA throwaways.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for telling my boyfriend the word duvet isn't classist?

What the gently caress is wrong with this person? A brain tumor?

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

QuarkJets posted:

the internet makes you stupid

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, its shaped like a bird and is blue.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for kicking my mom out after she eavesdropped on my gf's conversation?

quote:

My (22m) girlfriend Nyla (21f) wanted to meet my mom after she had introduced me to her parents. I warned her my mom was a lot to deal with but she wanted to meet her anyways so we ended up inviting her for dinner. Nyla takes a while to get ready, like she usually starts getting ready 3 hours before events and still manages to have me hurrying her up at the last few moments. My mom has a habit of showing up early to things so I told Nyla to get ready early as well so she wouldn't be caught off guard. Imagine our surprise when my mom showed up nearly 2 hours early while we were both still half naked, blasting music, and the cooking wasn't done yet. Nyla still let her in with a smile and excused herself to finish up while my mom stayed with me in the kitchen. I asked her why she showed up so early and she said she just missed me.

The main problem happened when Nyla had to step out after dinner bc she got a call from her sister. When she left my mom started going on about Nyla, saying she was showing too much cleavage, how she was eating too much for her weight, and that she looked slutty with her acrylics and makeup. I told my off for saying such things and threatened to kick her out. She scoffed and excused herself to use the restroom. I used the time to do the dishes. I got worried when neither Nyla nor my mom had returned and went to see what was up. What I found was my mom standing beside our bedroom door listening in on Nyla's conversation with her sister. I loudly told her to go back to the kitchen to which my mom glared at me and went back to the kitchen, Nyla just shushed me when I checked on her before shutting the door all the way. I went back to the kitchen and my mom started poo poo talking Nyla about the way she was speaking to her sister. My gf's family is from the Carribean and the way they speak is like broken english? (That's what Nyla calls it) Anyways, she speaks perfect english to my mom and outside the house but when talking to her family or me, she doesn't. My mom didn't like that and starting saying she was acting artificial in front of her, her voice is too high, she curses to much, and how it's influencing me (I trip up on my words from time to time). I was so fed up at that point that I just told her to get out. She was seething that I was throwing her out but she also seemed eager to leave as she immediately grabbed her things and left without another word.

Nyla came back about 10 minutes later and asked where my mom was. I told her everything that my mom said behind her back while we finished up cleaning the kitchen. She was sad about my mom not liking her but I made sure to cheer her up. My sister texted my later that night calling a bunch of names for throwing out our mom. I know I wasn't wrong to defend Nyla but was I in the wrong to kick my mom out? Am I the rear end in a top hat for that?

Tell me your mom is racist without telling me your mom is racist...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Serephina posted:

Many, many of these stories (to the point of majority) are creative writing exercises done by young people. For better or worse they're tolerated in this thread for the sake of entertainment, I guess.

I wouldn't despair about society too much based on the content of r/AITA throwaways.

Because everyone disagrees about which ones are fake and people trying to flex their Superior Brains to show all the other Fools how they are clearly reading a fake story is boring as hell?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Because everyone disagrees about which ones are fake and people trying to flex their Superior Brains to show all the other Fools how they are clearly reading a fake story is boring as hell?

Yeah like that duvet story is obviously fake but what would be accomplished by pointing it out

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Okay, that. But also "mom, we told you X time, it's X-2, please come back at X. We're not ready yet." Also, girlfriend leaving for an extended period of time to talk on the phone the first time she's meeting the mother.

The entire story is full of questionable decisions, especially around a judgy and boundary pushing mother. At least he grew a spine in the end. For now.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also, you can get some discussion out of "I know someone like that" and the like, but "That's fake" either gets you "Ok" or situations where a reply of "I know someone like that" is automatically framed in an adversarial way. Causes petty sniping.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Hughlander posted:

A Caribbean person speaking an unusual form of English is 95% likely to be black (Jamaican, Bajan, Trini etc), so yeah.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Well that clears it up. From the story it sounded like she was just pushy and the rest of the family was loving with her, but she's the one trying to bring an rear end in a top hat into their lives.

A wedding should be a happy event for the bride and groom, and if they want to exclude children or cops that is their prerogative.

Absolutely, but they should've been upfront that it was "no +Ryan" rather than "no +1" and got the fight over with then though; as it was they were just asking for cop-gf to kick off when she realised there were other +1s there.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for demanding my fiance pay me back for selling my train collection?

look, stealing your poo poo is what's best for both of us. i get money for selling your stuff *and* you stop paying attention to something that isn't me

What I don't get about these ones (even if they're stdh) is that the person who sells or throws away something sentimental, never calls or texts their SO first. These would 100% be resolved by sending a text saying, hey, is $X.00 a fair price for your train set?

Like, I get that half the time the AH is just callously getting rid of something they don't like at the first opportunity, but it's just so obviously an AH move in a world where cell phones exist.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Coatlicue posted:

What I don't get about these ones (even if they're stdh) is that the person who sells or throws away something sentimental, never calls or texts their SO first. These would 100% be resolved by sending a text saying, hey, is $X.00 a fair price for your train set?

Like, I get that half the time the AH is just callously getting rid of something they don't like at the first opportunity, but it's just so obviously an AH move in a world where cell phones exist.

If they texted them they would tell them no. If they just do it they can feign ignorance.

The important thing is they get rid of the thing and hope that when they found out they just have to accept it

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
'tis better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission

hey why are you calling the cops

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

depending on how much the collection was worth, that could be grand theft. :rip: in peace, dipshit ex-fiance

Model trains were ludicrously expensive when I was collecting them back in the early-to-mid-aughts and I can't imagine they've gotten any cheaper. The fact that it's big enough to even be described as a "collection" means it probably clears that threshold, doubly so if it's antique poo poo like American Flyer or whatever.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for banning my SIL from my house after she exposed my husband's cheating?

quote:

I have a SIL "Valerie" who I've never gotten along with. She is just a lot. Honestly everything about her personality just rubs me the wrong way, but my brother is so happy with her, so I try to let it go.

My husband of 12 years was recently (about 7 months ago) caught cheating. It was devastating to say the least and we are currently attempting to work it out through couples and individual counseling. Valerie is aware because it was her best friend's friend who I caught him with.

My younger sister "Anna" is getting married soon and I had both my siblings and their partners over for lunch. We were talking about the wedding and the topic of smearing the wedding cake got brought up and I warned my future BIL that he better not do it to Anna because it is so tacky and I think it shows a lack of respect and that you want to humiliate the person you love on your wedding day.

Valerie laughed and said I was super dramatic and anyone who takes it that seriously must be so boring to be married to. (Valerie smeared hers) I said just my opinion, but I think it indicates an emotionally abusive dynamic at the very least.

Valerie said I was immature and she smeared it and her marriage is amazing and my brother has never cheated on her. I knew what she meant by that and called her a bitch. Valerie tried to play dumb but she was smirking. It was humiliating because I dont think Anna's fiancé knew. My brother did try to deflect, but at that point the damage was done and I was about to cry. I asked her to leave and she said ok but tried to double down that she didn't say anything wrong.

I texted my brother after the fact and said she is never allowed in my house again and if he wants to visit he is going to have to do so without her. He replied that I was being unfair and I started it by being judgey and sanctimonious. She is now totally banned and uninvited from the shower I'm throwing Anna at the house (Anna doesn't care either way)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Coatlicue posted:

They already said no to having it appraised at all. Calling to ask if it's a good price is still saying "I ignored you when you said no to the appraisal."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is with the cake smash poo poo at weddings? Aren't the cakes usually loving expensive? And people want to eat them?

I mean it makes sense if you're that dude from the post who wanted a picnic in bed every time he and his wife had sex, but it just seems weird. But I've only been to a few weddings and there were no cake smashes.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cowslips Warren posted:

What the hell is with the cake smash poo poo at weddings? Aren't the cakes usually loving expensive? And people want to eat them?

I mean it makes sense if you're that dude from the post who wanted a picnic in bed every time he and his wife had sex, but it just seems weird. But I've only been to a few weddings and there were no cake smashes.

Joker: I'm gonna make this cake... disappear.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

ad090 posted:

AITA for banning my SIL from my house after she exposed my husband's cheating?

Ok yeah but like...

"(Valerie smeared hers) I said just my opinion, but I think it indicates an emotionally abusive dynamic at the very least."

You started the passive aggressive poo poo talking of the other's relationship first (over a really dumb thing at that).
Maybe Valerie is a total bitch or whatever, but this sounds kind of like a mutual dance.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Its a little long and kinda rambles over itself and he does suck, but boy is she burying some lede in there!

quote:

Feeling weird (26F) about Fiancé's (21M) new group of friends (18F-27F).

Throwaway account because my fiance knows my main one.

I have been feeling weird about a new group of friends my fiance has made friends with. It doesn't feel like jealousy but something feels odd everytime he mentions he's going to hang out with them.

Me and my fiance have been living together for 2 years and have a pretty solid relationship built of trust. When we first moved in together, we moved to a new city where we have lived since and have had difficulty meeting new people. I am particularly choosy when it comes to making friends and he on the other hand makes anyone his friend whether good or bad.

So he recently continued going back to university after a long break due to mental health problems and I work a full-time job. He momentarily worked part-time and through this job he met this group of ladies. At first I did not have a problem since he was hanging with a mixed group of guys and girls from this workplace and they all seemed like nice people and I encouraged it. Then I went back to my hometown for a week to visit family and during this time I saw on snapchat that he was posting that he was drinking at one of the girls from this group's house (I don't know if other people were there); the weird feeling began there. I was in no way threatened by the girl but it just seemed odd because he talks highly of having boundaries with the opposite sex. When he came to visit me in my hometown he let me know he stayed the night because he drank too much and I said well its the safer choice then driving home drunk and didn't say anything else.

Throwaway account because my fiance knows my main one.

Now we're going through financial hardship since he has decided to go back to school and quit any work at all relying on gig economy type jobs to support himself while he's waiting on his loan/grant money to come through. When he should be working he isn't, however, and it particularly irritates me when he says that he will be hanging out with this group of 3 girls from his job when he should be working. He also will go on the weekend to hang out with them and he's gone all day. I work Mon-Fri so the weekend is the only time we can spend a whole day together. His friends on the other time don't work full-time and he could hang out whenever with them.

I should add that when I talk to my partner about how weird I feel I always bring up how it might be due to the double standard that he's said no male friends since men always want to be more than friends. I don't care cause I don't care to make male friends but if he gets to be friends with girls then why cant I? And he always replies well women don't normally make friends with those intentions. Hello women can be homewreckers too!

So anyways I genuinely do not feel threatened or jealous I know how that feels. Instead I feel weird about all of this. Can anyone explain why I am feeling this way and is it wrong of me to ask my fiance to not hang out with this group of girls?

TL;DR Fiance hangs out with new group of female friends from previous part-time job. Has previously stayed over ones house. Going through financial hardship since he's back at school and is not working but still going out with them while I am responsible for financially supporting us. Why do I feel weird about all this?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

As people have been saying in the thread it's rarely smashing of any kind, and usually just a goofy little smear, which could be a dab on the nose or something messier.

Like most extreme normal scenario you're looking at this.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Grape posted:

A Caribbean person speaking an unusual form of English is 95% likely to be black (Jamaican, Bajan, Trini etc), so yeah.

She could be Puerto Rican speaking Spanglish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

ShootaBoy posted:

he's said no male friends since men always want to be more than friends

Just going to casually mention to my gf that men will only be friends with women to gently caress them while defending my friendship with some women that I DO NOT want to gently caress, even though I just stated that is literally the only reason men talk to women. Beautiful.