Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Is Matt unaware of actinides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Is Matt unaware of actinides

Also the periodic table is just a conventional representation and there are a bunch of other representations which are for different use cases. So you absolutely could rearrange it with basically no consequences.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

hooman posted:

Also the periodic table is just a conventional representation and there are a bunch of other representations which are for different use cases. So you absolutely could rearrange it with basically no consequences.

lol next you're going to tell me there are atoms of the same element with different atomic weights. lol, lmao

It's Uranium-238 not...uh...hold on...

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

If periodic table is immutable, why aren't we using Žižek's original one?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kit Walker posted:

lol next you're going to tell me there are atoms of the same element with different atomic weights. lol, lmao

It's Uranium-238 not...uh...hold on...

I don't like them putting alpha radiation into elements that turns the fricking atoms gay!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

gbut posted:

If periodic table is immutable, why aren't we using Žižek's original one?

*schniff* pure stoichiometry

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One of the key features of the conservative mindset is that whatever you learned in grade school is the holy gospel, and any attempt to change it or even just change the way it's taught is heresy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/JessieB1021/status/1416758023511490563

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Fister Roboto posted:

One of the key features of the conservative mindset is that whatever you learned in grade school is the holy gospel, and any attempt to change it or even just change the way it's taught is heresy.

This thinking is especially clear when talking about the covid and science and Fauci and the changing standards. With one breath they say science is fluid and you need to do your own research and think critically as well. In the next, they are just completely baffled that the science doctors statements and thinking in the spring of 2020 are quite different than they are now. Like no poo poo, they’ve learned a few things in that time?
I don’t even want to go “science science science agree or you’re stupid” because yeah some of their statements have been a little misguided or questionable, but to expect that science is locked at that one moment is silly

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Splash Attack posted:

“nerds are dying” woman screams as nerdy interests are dominating the mainstream and are multi billion dollar industries
It's pretty clear from the article that she actually hates "nerds" anyway. She talks about her husband and child with such open disdain.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vib Rib posted:

It's pretty clear from the article that she actually hates "nerds" anyway. She talks about her husband and child with such open disdain.

She seems to see a nerd as a means to an end. Successful but personally detestable. Which is something

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Also lol at the idea that “nerd” instantly means a well paid job. Let me just make six figures based on all the awful anime I watched as a teen.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yes….. in my teens

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CharlestheHammer posted:

She seems to see a nerd as a means to an end. Successful but personally detestable. Which is something

It's not surprising. This was basically the social concept of a "nerd" throughout much of the 80s and 90s -- being an annoying pocket protector dork meant effectively that you would be the inheritor of the future, a savvy creative genius who would know the intricacies of the technology that would turn itself into a multimillion dollar company like Apple or Microsoft. Your destiny was laid out for you in the subtext of every after school special about bullying or every cheeky nerd secondary character in comedy. They may get the girl, and be personable, and likable, but the nerd would be the one to provide the means to save the day. Nothing about the nerd themselves was ever shown to be personally edifying besides their particular approach to their interests, and even then it was because of what could be profited by their specific knowledge and not just that liking things is cool.

So naturally you get people who absorbed that subtext and don't see it reflected in reality or never took the time to understand their child's interests or motivations, and...

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

This thinking is especially clear when talking about the covid and science and Fauci and the changing standards. With one breath they say science is fluid and you need to do your own research and think critically as well. In the next, they are just completely baffled that the science doctors statements and thinking in the spring of 2020 are quite different than they are now. Like no poo poo, they’ve learned a few things in that time?
I don’t even want to go “science science science agree or you’re stupid” because yeah some of their statements have been a little misguided or questionable, but to expect that science is locked at that one moment is silly

This kind of thinking is insanely prevalent here in Ireland among anti-vax/anti-lockdown/anti-anything brigade.
They keep harping on that the government said at the start that it was "just two weeks" like, anyone actually thought an epidemic would vanish in literally 2 weeks. They are the dumbest, most literal people imaginable. They cannot accept uncertainty of any kind, or the fact that circumstances change regularly.
They expect that a government of non-medical scientists have future-predicting powers so as to plan for variants that don't actually exist right now.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Climate change is the one that really pisses me off with this. They go "well we used to have global warming, and now it's climate change! Scientists can't make up their minds!" The idea has always been that there'll be a global average increase in temperature, which will cause increased variability in local conditions which could lead to more severe storms and other weather events. People started using the term "climate change" instead of "global warming" in order to more accurately communicate the scientific details to laypeople, because of assholes complaining about how it was a misnomer. And then those same assholes jumped on the change in terminology as a sign that the science isn't settled. Changing things is not a sign of weakness! Improving clarity or providing more details is not an indication that the basics are incorrect!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A lot of boomers insist they were taught there would be 'global cooling' in the future, which seems at best a gross mischaricterization of some other catastrophe (like the prospect of a nuclear winter through the cold War).

This also pokes a huge hole in their insistence other things they learned were absolute- OK so they said the planet would freeze and it didn't, which means what they were taught was wrong or misguided? Well, they were also taught other things like how gender was a binary and IQ is genetic but funny how they are rather reluctant to let go of things like that huh.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Panfilo posted:

A lot of boomers insist they were taught there would be 'global cooling' in the future, which seems at best a gross mischaricterization of some other catastrophe (like the prospect of a nuclear winter through the cold War).

This also pokes a huge hole in their insistence other things they learned were absolute- OK so they said the planet would freeze and it didn't, which means what they were taught was wrong or misguided? Well, they were also taught other things like how gender was a binary and IQ is genetic but funny how they are rather reluctant to let go of things like that huh.

I think most boomers just remember something about ice ages being cyclical, and that's it. They don't remember the cycles take thousands of years, and they don't care because their whole lives they've been taught that caring is for pussies.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

steinrokkan posted:

I think most boomers just remember something about ice ages being cyclical, and that's it. They don't remember the cycles take thousands of years, and they don't care because their whole lives they've been taught that caring is for pussies.

There was some discussion of a minor cooling trend in the 70s but the vast majority of scientific literature was still focused on global warming. Of course, science reporting for the general public is and always has been terrible so both Time and Newsweek ran sensational stories about global cooling instead.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
It has nothing to do with education. I know and work with plenty of highly educated people that don't believe in vaccines or climate change. Its purely ideological - their worldview and reality don't agree and they choose to believe reality is wrong.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

My dad has definitely brought up that he was taught when he was younger that there would be another ice age coming before they started saying global warming was happening so it must’ve been some common misinformation in the 70s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they all watched the day after tomorrow and have lead brained it into being a thing that actually happened.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Global cooling:

quote:

Global cooling was a conjecture, especially during the 1970s, of imminent cooling of the Earth culminating in a period of extensive glaciation, due to the cooling effects of aerosols and orbital forcing. Some press reports in the 1970s speculated about continued cooling; these did not accurately reflect the scientific literature of the time, which was generally more concerned with warming from an enhanced greenhouse effect.

In the mid 1970s, the limited temperature series available suggested that the temperature had decreased for several decades up to then. As longer time series of higher quality became available, it became clear that global temperature showed significant increases overall.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

OwlFancier posted:

I think they all watched the day after tomorrow and have lead brained it into being a thing that actually happened.

If it could only be so instantaneous

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It was essentially scientists just thinking out loud after looking at global temperature trends at the time. It was never meant to be such a huge thing.

Let's just say it became a convenient story for certain people.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-the-global-cooling-story-came-to-be/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orbital forcing is where you pay a billionare a lot of money to launch you into space and then video chat you and call you little baby astronaut boy and ask you how much you love being a microgravity slut.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Also lol at the idea that “nerd” instantly means a well paid job. Let me just make six figures based on all the awful anime I watched as a teen.

Yeah, like 80% of self described nerds are some version of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz3m_7ozhNo

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also the researchers, who originally studied the atmospheric greenhouse effect and our industrial contribution to it, did refer to the effect as "climate change," but the paper that broke through to the mainstream consciousness was titled something along the lines of "climate change by emissions may lead to global warming" and journalists ran with the latter, more dramatic term.

It's not even a case of the term changing to accomodate new information, which would also be perfectly fair, climate researchers have always referred to it as climate change and only used the expression "global warming" because it's the term with which most people were familiar.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i bet if i said a mean thing about that kpop person in that tweeter's avatar they would get real serious real quick

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Panfilo posted:

steinrokkan posted:

They remember that one Time Magazine cover about Global Cooling.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

They remember that one Time Magazine cover about Global Cooling.

Also boomers get legit angry with things like Pluto being a planet(or not), continents(wtf is Eurasia?), kids and their new math, and go quickly to the THIS JUST DOESNT MAKE SENSE?! line of defense

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Also boomers get legit angry with things like Pluto being a planet(or not), continents(wtf is Eurasia?), kids and their new math, and go quickly to the THIS JUST DOESNT MAKE SENSE?! line of defense

Continents is great because there's no actual definition of a continent, you just get taught that there's four, five, six, a different six, or seven continents, depending on where you went to school.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Education through mnemonics

I have no objection to scientists studying the atmosphere but If they ever mess with TTSOMIE so help me :bahgawd:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
tbf that one is on the English language, as there's a clear geological definition (large land mass) and a clear geographical definition (large grouping of nations), but you foolishly refer to both as "continents" interchangably

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

tbf that one is on the English language, as there's a clear geological definition (large land mass) and a clear geographical definition (large grouping of nations), but you foolishly refer to both as "continents" interchangably

:lmao:

edit: Is Papua New Guinea part of the Australian continent? What about New Zealand? Why are Europe and Asia two separate continents? In fact, are they two separate continents? Why are all of the island nations in South East Asia the same continent as Russia? Which continent does Greenland, a landmass with a large suture zone pressing it against Canada, belong to? India has far more palaeo-geologically in common with Australia, why aren't they the same continent?

Memento has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Jan 17, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Memento posted:

Continents is great because there's no actual definition of a continent, you just get taught that there's four, five, six, a different six, or seven continents, depending on where you went to school.

I only learned the seven, what's the six versus different six? I think I can figure out the 4 and 5.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Europe and Asia are generally understood to be different continents huh I wonder why that is.

Probably a good reason for it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

As I understand it there's no good geological reason to say that Europe is a different continent from Asia but India isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ultrafilter posted:

As I understand it there's no good geological reason to say that Europe is a different continent from Asia but India isn't.

Why would western school curricula teach they are different if there wasn't a good reason for it :thunk:

It's a mystery imo