Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I managed to score a deal on a new Cusco 1.5 way rear LSD, as well as a 2015+ STI rack. I got the rack from some rando on facebook, it smelled like weed so I'm sure it will fit. The LSD is shipping from Japan, hopefully, and hopefully they don't just cancel my order and refund me because the price was suspiciously low.

With these mods installed, I think my LGT wagon will be taken to its logical conclusion. Would anybody be interested in a thread on it, detailing what I've learned about building and tracking a daily driven Subaru?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

i own every Bionicle posted:

I managed to score a deal on a new Cusco 1.5 way rear LSD, as well as a 2015+ STI rack. I got the rack from some rando on facebook, it smelled like weed so I'm sure it will fit. The LSD is shipping from Japan, hopefully, and hopefully they don't just cancel my order and refund me because the price was suspiciously low.

With these mods installed, I think my LGT wagon will be taken to its logical conclusion. Would anybody be interested in a thread on it, detailing what I've learned about building and tracking a daily driven Subaru?

:justpost: yes :justpost:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

For sure! I feel like it would be very educational.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

net work error posted:

I asked about the OTS map safety because I'm starting to lose interest in my WRX and maybe getting an Accessport would get be back into it. As much as I'd like a new BRZ or C7 the WRX is so practical that it's worth a shot I think.

I put an maperformance map in my otherwise stock '20 WRX and it's a night and day difference. It shifts like our old 2000 prelude now and is just way nicer to drive in general. I started with the cobb map but the maperformance one is just smoother all around in my experience. My wife has only ever driven standard and didn't enjoy driving the WRX until I installed the new map.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Asking for opinions, I like the wheel design on the new STI but might not be crazy for the two toned silver look. I’m thinking about having them professionally powder coated all black.

Thoughts?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Rolo posted:

Asking for opinions, I like the wheel design on the new STI but might not be crazy for the two toned silver look. I’m thinking about having them professionally powder coated all black.

Thoughts?

I think it would look great. But I also think a black set of Enkei TM-7’s would look even better, and you could always sell those and go back to the stock wheels if you ever had to sell the car or whatever and wanted to go back to stock.

You can also go to tirerack.com, enter your car and color, and see what similar black wheels look like.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Two tone black and silver has seriously always been an uncool OE trend. For the cost of a competent paint job on those wheels I'd just get different ones and use those for winter wheels or something.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I think it would look great. But I also think a black set of Enkei TM-7’s would look even better, and you could always sell those and go back to the stock wheels if you ever had to sell the car or whatever and wanted to go back to stock.

You can also go to tirerack.com, enter your car and color, and see what similar black wheels look like.

Yeah I go there pretty often. I always end up wanting some OZ Indy HLT’s but they’re like 2k a set.

I could get some Enkei’s and just put these on my all season’s :shrug:

For reference, here are my wheels in gloss black.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 10, 2022

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My '99 Impreza has the parking brake light come on when starting in the cold, and it doesn't go away for a while. The parking brake definitely isn't on, I can let the clutch out without giving it gas and it will roll forward and start driving. And I tried an emergency stop on my empty road and had no decreased stopping power or pulling to the side that would indicate a failed corner or anything. What should I be checking to see if this is a valid error light or just some cold weather electronic gremlin?

I do know that I need to replace my front brakes very soon, I had a shop do an inspection on the car because I'm planning on doing the timing belt soon and that's one thing they called out. But I'm hesitant to turn any bolts on the car until I get the SVX's no fuel condition fixed and I'm waiting for a Rockauto shipment for that. If the car's unsafe I'll obviously make an exception and do it anyway.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The parking brake light is also the low brake fluid light.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, your first paragraph and second go together.

Since your front pads are low, the pistons are out further, lowering the fluid level. As it got colder, the further decrease in volume of fluid from the low temps was enough to trip you over the low fluid line and the light eventually goes off once the fluid heats up enough to expand a bit.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, that explains that I suppose. Now to decide whether to top off the reservoir and wait a week for my fuel pressure regulator and vacuum line to get here for the SVX or to do the Impreza brakes right now.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

jamal posted:

The parking brake light is also the low brake fluid light.

Oh, that explains so much. Back when I was getting the Forester into working order, the parking brake light was staying on despite disengaging it while driving. At the time, I thought the parking brake was partially stuck (stuck enough to trip the light but not enough to hold the car) but it turns out that, unbeknownst to me, this was happening while driving it to a shop to get it looked at.

https://i.imgur.com/sPG3sFB.mp4

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, joys of living in a tiny town, the parts can't get here until after my fuel pressure regulator does anyway. I'll pick up a bottle of DOT-3 today and top it off and keep an eye on it for the few miles I drive before this weekend.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't top it off, not fully anyways.

If you do, when you do push the pistons back in after changing the brakes, you risk overflowing the reservoir.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's a good point, but I need to do a brake flush anyway because it hasn't been done in ??? years. The last time I did it myself was 12 years ago and the last time I could think of a maintenance that would have covered it at a shop would be in 2015. So way way overdue.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I like to open the bleed valve with a little hose going into a bottle when i push the pistons back. I also use a syringe to pull all the old fluid out of the reservoir.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My problem is I've never been able to get a bleed valve open without snapping it off in a caliper after a few winters.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

bull3964 posted:

My problem is I've never been able to get a bleed valve open without snapping it off in a caliper after a few winters.

Spraying the bleed valve with penetrating oil every couple of days and then heating it with a crack torch helps a lot.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't think I have any rusting issues on this one. We bled the brakes when we did the struts when we first got the car because it has that stupid design where the brake line goes through a bracket in the strut instead of bolting to it, so we had to remove the lines, and I don't remember it posing a problem. Colorado is not a rust-heavy state. Basically the only rust on my car is on the rotors, the exhaust, and a couple spots where rock chips went all the way through the paint. The SVX is even better because by virtue of pissing oil from every seal it keeps the underbody lubricated for rust resistance.

Do you use a syringe to pull all the old fluid out of the reservoir and then put fresh fluid in before bleeding? Seems like that's the only way to avoid getting bubbles in the line and making even more trouble. Opening up the bleed valve does seem like a nice easy way to remove the pressure on the pistons though, making the pad installation easier.

I picked up a bottle of DOT3 and a bottle of PS fluid at the hardware store and topped off both. I've apparently got a slow leak in my steering rack as well, but given it only took maybe 3-4 ounces to get back to in the hot range I think that will wait until after the spark plugs and the brakes and the CV axle and the timing belt and the valve cover gaskets and the spark plug wires and... I've got the whole list here somewhere. Lots of little things, but the engine and transmission showed no issues under inspection.

I'm kind of considering getting one of those flexible extensions for when I do the spark plugs. Don't get me wrong, I get that I would lose like 80%-90% torque, but the spec according to the FSM is 15 ftlb for the spark plug, it's not exactly a head bolt. Are those useful for hard to reach low-torque stuff, or are they a useless gimmick? The other option would be get a decent quality impact-rated 3/8" drive extension since that probably has quite a few uses to go with my new right-angle 3/8" drive impact.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Absolutely get a wobble extension set for like 12 bucks on Amazon. I use them all the time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I do have wobble extensions, they're just 1/2" drive rather than the 3/8" that a spark plug socket needs. I guess given that my three most used tools are currently 3/8" drive since my cheapo HF corded impact started smelling like it was going to catch fire, I should get 3/8" for that as well.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I like the double swivel I got from matco. But sometimes the right size extension to put your wrench between the head and chassis rail works too.

The single joint ones there are 14mm for fa/fbs and stuff.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Officially decided to powder coat my stock wheels. A highly reviewed place in town told me they’d do it all in for 600 plus tax. They had some great looking cars on the lot being picked up and my same wheels posted on their site as examples.

Getting that back on Tuesday. In the meantime, I’m gonna have these ready to go on. I’m going to keep the stock pieces in case these look cheesy but the fender emblems and trunk lettering are all OEM so they should look good enough on a red car :shrug:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

:yikes:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Every once in a while I think about getting an STI badge for my old Legacy wagon, just for lols. Then I don't.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I'm a big fan of the black and red combo on Subarus.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

rickiep00h posted:

Every once in a while I think about getting an STI badge for my old Legacy wagon, just for lols. Then I don't.

get the OEM JDM one then =)

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/?id=16000

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fingat posted:

I'm a big fan of the black and red combo on Subarus.

Yeah I like this a lot.

I feel like in 2022 they’re nailing the BRZ while using the WRX as a hammer.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

For real. I absolutely love the look of the new BRZ. But not enough to throw $20k on upgrading from my 2017.

Yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

For real. I absolutely love the look of the new BRZ. But not enough to throw $20k on upgrading from my 2017.

Yet.

that’s smart

better to save the trade-in for when the GR Corolla arrives

Fingat
May 17, 2004

SOA just said this week that they are no longer taking orders on 22 BRZ's

Its not clear if they plan to resume this year at all.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It's a '93 Legacy :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/5Hz5BNTwGzc

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Was that thing stored in a mudpuddle?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fingat posted:

Was that thing stored in a mudpuddle?

All you have to do is live in a state that salts the road, don't wash the undercarriage and park on grass/dirt/improperly drained gravel all the time and you can get that going on easily in a few years.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m surprised it didn’t fall apart on the lift, what with only three points actually attached and it all being rust.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Motronic posted:

All you have to do is live in a state that salts the road, don't wash the undercarriage and park on grass/dirt/improperly drained gravel all the time and you can get that going on easily in a few years.

Even if you clean, this is every northeast car that's driven in the winter at the 10 year mark.

I know by looking on records on my.subaru.com that they ended up replacing the rear subframe on my 2002 WRX after I traded it in 2014 and that was always parked on concrete and cleaned whever possible.

The rust takes all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Even if you clean, this is every northeast car that's driven in the winter at the 10 year mark.

The 30-60% of AI that lives in the US Northeast can tell you that that’s patently untrue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's certainly true in western PA. I know some areas use more grit than salt, but here we make the roads white with salt between December and April and most cars that are daily driven in the winter are just about done after a decade.