Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

I'd guess next year we're going to see Sgt. Slaughter get a push in the WOL HoF since he's going to be dropped otherwise. Rocky Johnson is as well and I don't see a big push for him so I would suspect Dave's not getting a Christmas card from Dwayne next year unless a miracle happens.

slaughter missed getting in this year by 2%

also, mistico missed by .3%

among those eligible next year are roman and becky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Is there a genuine case to be made for Slaughter getting in?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

I'd guess next year we're going to see Sgt. Slaughter get a push in the WOL HoF since he's going to be dropped otherwise. Rocky Johnson is as well and I don't see a big push for him so I would suspect Dave's not getting a Christmas card from Dwayne next year unless a miracle happens.

Slaughter is above 50% so he's not in any real danger.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NienNunb posted:

Slaughter had a breif period in the Carolina's and in the WWF were he was a legit draw in tag and singles and was among the best workers. Also the Gi Joe cartoon. However it was a brief period and once he left WWF and went to AWA his drawing power and work rate kinda of fell of a cliff.

Funniest and most fitting results was Edge going from 44% to 32% and Orton going from 34% to 27%. CM Punk also went from 15% to 33% and I can see that rising even more if this year remains as strong

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Slaughter in the Carolinas was a really incredible total package. I'm iffy on him because after the mid 80s he is very not a Hall of Famer but before that he's great!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okada being at 92% is probably the highest % a modern candidate will probably get on the first ballot but it really should of been up near Liger and Kobashi's levels

Charlotte falling of the ballot her first time is super funny

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Next year Meltzer is adding the Holy Demon Army to the ballot so i guess hes sick of the fourth pillar not being in yet and is going to force the issue.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's Taue's best chance to get in and tbh they should be in as they clearly were the best tag team of the 90's

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Going through old B&V TNA reviews and just got to the part in June 2014 where Bryan talks at length about how it's impossible he could care less about a story than Dixie Carter vs MVP and I wanna intercut the audio with footage of the Alexa Bliss Doll Saga and some dramatic music stings.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I also LOL’ed at Edge’s comeback actually driving his percentages down. Also Mistico didn’t get in because he only rounded up to 60.0 instead of actually hitting that level. Alas.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Meltzer was also talking about expanding the number of available votes for wrestlers from 10 to 15. He either wants to clear the logjams out or is feeling really bad about not voting Edge this year

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

NienNunb posted:

His bump in Rumble '92 should get him in alone.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

Slaughter in the Carolinas was a really incredible total package. I'm iffy on him because after the mid 80s he is very not a Hall of Famer but before that he's great!

Really, he should get in just for forcing Bob Caudle to talk about the state of Slaughter's Privates every week.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Which one of you emailed Bryan about turning off the Dynamite review?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

There does seem to be wall for candidates that had their career peak in from 80-86 to overcome in hall voting in North America. Candidates like JYD, Slaughter and Orndorff peaks happened just before national TV or had a short period on top during national TV but they all have low points or runs that were just okay from 86 on that are holding them back more than if their peaks happened in say the 70's or after 86

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Congrats to Okada on a well-deserved 100% of the vote. In unrelated news, 8% of Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame voters have had that privilege revoked retroactive to the start of this year's voting period. They have also been divorced by their wives/left by the significant others, disowned by their families, fired by their employers, had their self-owned businesses go under, and I'm not sad, I'm laughing. I'm LAUGHING :mad:

Kevino07 posted:

Big Dave's dry humour on display there

Holy poo poo, Dave :vince:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
if dave doesn't want people to do strategic voting why does he limit the number of votes

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

if dave doesn't want people to do strategic voting why does he limit the number of votes

Because it's how baseball does it

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

Because it's how baseball does it

in case anyone is unaware Baseballs Hall of Fame is absolutely terrible.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

NienNunb posted:

yeah. he's a danm Chud

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Wezlar posted:

in case anyone is unaware Baseballs Hall of Fame is absolutely terrible.

In who gets in or by strategic voting?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Lid posted:

In who gets in or by strategic voting?

Both!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Is he saying strategic voting is 100% bullshit or just that it's bullshit if you use it for someone who you think is a weaker candidate?

I didn't vote for Okada because I knew he'd go in and wanted to save room, but I dunno if I feel like I think anyone I voted for is a weaker candidate?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

davidbix posted:

I didn't vote for Okada

Now this is worth breaking the bad opinions thread rule

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in real HoFs only a handful of people mess with the system to "fix" it or "account" for anything, but i'm sure like 1/3 of people do that when the voting is open to everyone. greatly misses the point

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Barry Bonds would get in the Observer HOF but Hulk Hogan wouldn't get in the Baseball one.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

davidbix posted:

Is he saying strategic voting is 100% bullshit or just that it's bullshit if you use it for someone who you think is a weaker candidate?

I didn't vote for Okada because I knew he'd go in and wanted to save room, but I dunno if I feel like I think anyone I voted for is a weaker candidate?

His argument was that if you don't vote for the strongest candidates then its bullshit

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

His argument was that if you don't vote for the strongest candidates then its bullshit

It is but he should really use a system that doesn't allow it then.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
when Ichiro Suzuki doesn't get 100% of the voting first ballot we know how stupid it all is

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

No punishment could be greater than the shame of voting without honour

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

davidbix posted:

I didn't vote for Okada because I knew he'd go in and wanted to save room

He pretty much said anyone who didn't vote for Okada for that exact reason shouldn't be voting.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

davidbix posted:

I didn't vote for Okada because

bix pls

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seams posted:

bix pls

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Seams posted:

bix pls

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I also didn’t vote for Okada i’m sorry

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

It is but he should really use a system that doesn't allow it then.

Like what?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Genericide posted:

Like what?

Whatever PWI does

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
What a moron

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I understand the idea of strategic voting and I also understand why Meltzer gets frustrated by it, but his whole discussion of the topic boiling down to "This is bullshit, I modeled the Observer Hall of Fame process after the Baseball Hall of Fame, whose voting process I think is bullshit, and am shocked to discover that by copying their process all of the same issues continue to exist in it!" was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Trying posted:

No punishment could be greater than the shame of voting without joy in your heart