Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

Never was a fan of "culture farms/planets," honestly. Like, there's deffo a charm to turning a hunk of worthless space rock into a bureaucratic hell world, but I can't suspend my disbelief for a planet that pumps out Space Culture like it was a fuckin' factory.

You don't even need to, is the thing. If you organically put down stuff like holo-theaters and monuments to your awesome civilization on planets when appropriate, your culture workers and entertainers will flood you with amenities, unity and social research.

Especially now that your fundamental production of resources is mostly decoupled from buildings, there's no reason to put down a unity-spewing building here and there when appropriate.

That said, I can see some planets developing to be this huge center of culture and entertainment, like a Space Paris or a Space Hollywood, but after some point too much is too much, imho. Even Hollywood still has some other poo poo going on, the region Hollywood is in isn't 100% entertainers and nothing else, and Paris also has some heavy industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

Never was a fan of "culture farms/planets," honestly. Like, there's deffo a charm to turning a hunk of worthless space rock into a bureaucratic hell world, but I can't suspend my disbelief for a planet that pumps out Space Culture like it was a fuckin' factory.

Vegas, baby.

Alternatively, let’s buy up all the swampland in the middle of nowhere and turn it into the thing that owns everyone’s dreams.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 14, 2022

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

MadJackal posted:

Alternatively, let’s buy up all the swampland in the middle of nowhere and turn it into the thing that owns everyone’s dreams.

Is this reference to medieval Venice or modern Disney?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Libluini posted:

You don't even need to, is the thing. If you organically put down stuff like holo-theaters and monuments to your awesome civilization on planets when appropriate, your culture workers and entertainers will flood you with amenities, unity and social research.

Especially now that your fundamental production of resources is mostly decoupled from buildings, there's no reason to put down a unity-spewing building here and there when appropriate.

That said, I can see some planets developing to be this huge center of culture and entertainment, like a Space Paris or a Space Hollywood, but after some point too much is too much, imho. Even Hollywood still has some other poo poo going on, the region Hollywood is in isn't 100% entertainers and nothing else, and Paris also has some heavy industry.

For whatever reason I'm deathly allergic to placing resource generation buildings on anything but a hyper-optimized colony-designated planet specifically for that type of resource, unity included. It's a curse.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sachant posted:

For whatever reason I'm deathly allergic to placing resource generation buildings on anything but a hyper-optimized colony-designated planet specifically for that type of resource, unity included. It's a curse.
In the current setup where do you get your amenities from?

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Splicer posted:

In the current setup where do you get your amenities from?

So, I usually play Void Dwellers since I have planet minmax disease and habitats are easier to bin into reusable templates since their size and district distribution aren't RNG. Being able to break every habitat down into like one of six deterministic templates with a fixed build order saves me headache and micromanagement. With that in mind, it depends on which type of habitat.

Habitats that are building-dependent (admin offices, gas/motes/crystal refineries) I'll usually do 1x capital, 1x pop growth building (cloning vat or robo factory), and then the rest all of that one type of building. Amenities come from the districts being a mix of housing and trade or entertainment districts depending on how my consumer goods are going.

Habitats that are district-dependent (factory/foundry, generator/mining) I'll go 100% in that district (e.g. 8x industrial), add a pop growth building and whatever output-multiplier buildings I can (civilian factories, ministry of production, whatever) and then since there's nothing else I can do there to increase output of the designated resource I'll backfill with luxury housing and either commercial zones or holo-theaters depending on how my consumer goods are going.

In both cases I try to optimize to where, after filling all of the primary roles for that planet that produce the resource I want, I add only enough extra pops and jobs to get enough amenities to bring the happiness bonus to +20%. Ideally that's entertainers since it's more pop-efficient, but clerks also work since they require no consumer goods. Any unused buildings/districts either just stay empty (and I resettle any subsequent pops elsewhere) or go to housing to increase organic pop growth. This balance changes over the course of the game as I get new techs, get a resort world, or build a mega art installation, and so on, but I try to keep it all the same for each habitat (e.g. every factory/foundry hab gets 1x precinct, 2x commercial zone, 1x luxury housing, and that gets me to 0% crime and +20% happiness at the intended pop level).

Tech is a special case since it's both district- and building-dependent (research labs). In that case I either try to find a balance between research labs and amenity-producing buildings, or just say gently caress amenities since as long as your pops are reasonably happy to begin with, an extra research lab will give you more research output than the extra stability from an amenity building will.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 15, 2022

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Are you able to get the full 1.5 growth from pops with your 8x resource district setup?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
any thoughts on the federation DLC?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Libluini posted:

Having a 'temple world/holy world' full of temples is very thematic, also.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cimber posted:

any thoughts on the federation DLC?

maybe less vital than apocalypse or utopia IMO but still some good stuff in there.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Bloodly posted:

Reading this I had the realization that “Byzantine Bureaucracy” should really be a Spiritualist-only Civic which makes Priests generate admin cap.

e: VVV lmao well I guess I would have had a good idea a year ago or whatever

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 16, 2022

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'm more excited by the removal of admin cap increases. This means Stellaris is going to have some sort of soft-growth diminishing returns system for tech again, so maybe games won't get so consistently runaway victory.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm more excited by the removal of admin cap increases. This means Stellaris is going to have some sort of soft-growth diminishing returns system for tech again, so maybe games won't get so consistently runaway victory.

So I haven't played since oh 2.0 and I've been using the Montu Play's channel recommended here....and man I missed this game so much, and with all the new features, it feels like a new game. It's kind of hilarious to think of base Stellaris or HOI 4 and how insanely different/limited things are.

That said was TAB always a way to switch between systems you have units in? If so, I feel supremely dumb about never noticing this earlier, much like the limited training option in HOI4, but I'm happy I know it now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bloodly posted:

My idea of a "temple world" would have like, three temples max. :v:

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

starting new game after a year away or so. Any new ai mods I should get to smooth out the holes?

I picked up necroids, aquatics, and lithoids

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Any good guides on planet and pop management? The game is a lot different then when I played about..uhh...4ish years ago?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cimber posted:

Any good guides on planet and pop management? The game is a lot different then when I played about..uhh...4ish years ago?

There will be a number of different opinions, and this is just my personal low-stress method.

1. Never build anything in advance. This stops you paying maintenance on buildings you aren't using. Feel free to break this in the late game when you have essentially unlimited everything.
2. Never resettle pops. This stops your brain going nuts trying to optimize every job on every planet. Also with some politics you won't even be able to.
3. Look for red. If there aren't enough houses, build an urban district. If there aren't enough services, build a holocine or something similar. If there is unemployment, check step 4.
4. If you have an unemployed worker pop, which is the default strata, build something to produce what you need the most. You need alloys the most. Numbers of reasonable surplus whatever start and 1 and scale upwards to like 1000 by lategame. At some point you will need research, but it doesn't have to be the highest priority.
5. If you have an unemployed ruler or whatever pop, curse and either resettle to somewhere with an open job of that strata or suck it up and wait for him to accept a mcjob.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cimber posted:

See if Montu Plays has any videos on it perhaps. Honestly I've been using him to help get back into the game since I haven't played it since 2.2 or 2.3.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

ulmont posted:

2. Never resettle pops. This stops your brain going nuts trying to optimize every job on every planet. Also with some politics you won't even be able to.

Gonna disagree here. If you've got a congested world with a bunch of clerks and an existing world with potential for literally any other job, resettle those clerks asap. Clerks are worthless and getting them to do any other job is good, even if that means punting them offworld. The clerks need to be "not clerks."

Of course simply turning off the clerk jobs is a thing.

Resettling pops to new colonies to get it to 10 pops is nice too. The growth penalty is dead & buried but getting proper rulers on a planet is still nice and accelerating it doesn't hurt.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 17, 2022

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Horace Kinch posted:

Gonna disagree here.

Can't have clerks if you never build Commercial Zones (and you never will, following the other steps). *taps temple*

Also,

ulmont posted:

There will be a number of different opinions, and this is just my personal low-stress method.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ulmont posted:

Can't have clerks if you never build Commercial Zones (and you never will, following the other steps). *taps temple*
Clerks come from city districts too.

But either way, current strategy is to disable them everywhere (once all are turned off on a planet newly created clerk jobs will be disabled as well). Then pops will auto-resettle to a planet with a Real Job.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ulmont posted:

If only. Cities are bad, and cities with the full prosperity tree are worse :(

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

ulmont posted:

1. Never build anything in advance. This stops you paying maintenance on buildings you aren't using. Feel free to break this in the late game when you have essentially unlimited everything.
3. Look for red. If there aren't enough houses, build an urban district. If there aren't enough services, build a holocine or something similar. If there is unemployment, check step 4.
4. If you have an unemployed worker pop, which is the default strata, build something to produce what you need the most. You need alloys the most. Numbers of reasonable surplus whatever start and 1 and scale upwards to like 1000 by lategame. At some point you will need research, but it doesn't have to be the highest priority.
5. If you have an unemployed ruler or whatever pop, curse and either resettle to somewhere with an open job of that strata or suck it up and wait for him to accept a mcjob.

Great post, thanks a lot for that. Building in advanced did seem kind of a waste, except for the few exceptions where I noticed i would gain a pop right before the building would get finished.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

ulmont posted:

You do if you build any city districts.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Embrace the Clerks, EMBRACE THEM I SAY

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Start mine off science output so you usually aim for in the beginning of the game (first 50 years or so)? And do you try to focus it on a science world with a vessel assisting or do you spread out research buildings across planets? I've been playing machine empires (DA, DE) and dedicating my honeworld building slots to research but am not sure if that's the right way to go.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Are there civics or anything which make clerks worthwhile or even produce something else in addition?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Holy poo poo, this sprawl effect is a loving killer. I'm 60/50 and i have 3 planets and a few starbases, while empires near me have like 10 systems under their control.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cimber posted:

Holy poo poo, this sprawl effect is a loving killer. I'm 60/50 and i have 3 planets and a few starbases, while empires near me have like 10 systems under their control.
Don't worry too much about sprawl, you're supposed to go over and bureaucrats were a mistake they're correcting in the next patch.

Don't hopscotch systems outside some extreme edge cases, your limiter is influence and taking three in a line costs three same as jumping to the end.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Splicer posted:

If only. Cities are bad, and cities with the full prosperity tree are worse :(

A mod which makes that Tradition pick do nothing would be a net positive for the tree and the game.

ilkhan posted:

Are there civics or anything which make clerks worthwhile or even produce something else in addition?

…orrrr, say, instead of giving more bad clerks, gives clerks say a .5 Trade boost and 50% Amenities bump?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Honestly I've always wanted to be Clerks to be the "white collar" pool, and that you would build bureaucratic centers/temples/autochton monuments etc. to change their output and upkeep correspondingly ever since we got the industrial districts. I think that would've been a better way to simulate urban centers becoming "culture factories" or whatever.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

ulmont posted:

4. If you have an unemployed worker pop, which is the default strata, build something to produce what you need the most. You need alloys the most.

To this end, don't be afraid to run small deficits in basic resources in the early game, using monthly (not one-time) market trades to keep yourself afloat.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ulmont posted:

I actually found pre-building can be pretty good if it's a building and not a district, since buildings can be disabled to save on maintenance. Most notable example being a bureaucracy world, where you pre-build a bunch of bureaucrat buildings so don't have to wait on a new building to finish every time you hit cap.

Occasionally I'll disable a research lab or something too but that's more trying to get my economy under control after some big expansion rather than a timing play.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

isndl posted:

I actually found pre-building can be pretty good if it's a building and not a district, since buildings can be disabled to save on maintenance.

I can see the attraction if you have plenty of minerals and micromanagement attention. I would never remember to come back after completion and disable.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

LonsomeSon posted:

A mod which makes that Tradition pick do nothing would be a net positive for the tree and the game.

…orrrr, say, instead of giving more bad clerks, gives clerks say a .5 Trade boost and 50% Amenities bump?

Yeah, we need less poo poo that gives more jobs and more poo poo that makes existing jobs better, what with all the lag that pops produce.

Would also be nice if having extra amenities did something useful, as it stands the tiny amount of extra stability isn't enough.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
So i am playing Victoria in space apparently, with orcs

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

Yeah, we need less poo poo that gives more jobs and more poo poo that makes existing jobs better, what with all the lag that pops produce.

Would also be nice if having extra amenities did something useful, as it stands the tiny amount of extra stability isn't enough.

Honestly a mod which doubles everything about Clerks including upkeep would do the same thing as that perk minus the cost of the extra job slots, and also make Clerks worth having.

One might want to have an internal rule of No Commercial Districts or Only Clerks From Cities if doing a Merchant build, or at least consider it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have a serious itch to play Stellaris again, but now I don't want to until the big unity rework. The Custodian Team is doing stellar work so far!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I keep getting my rear end handed to me playing Driven Assimilators. As soon as I've got two neighbors, they play war ping-pong with me; Neighbor A declares war and grinds me down to a stalemate, then before I can make good on any of my losses Neighbor B declares war with all my fleets on the other side of my borders, so I lose systems and can't get them all back before War Exhaustion hits 100%, then Neighbor A declares war again and this time I lose a planet or two and I get them back, but now their population and production has been tanked, then Neighbor B declares war and it's been like thirty years since I had a second of free time to actually park a fleet in drydock and get it upgraded so now I collapse and die.

Clearly everyone's gonna hate me forever and I guess I'm just not getting a big enough deterrent force up quick enough, but... gah. This was easier as a Devouring Swarm, because at least the Swarm don't give a gently caress about being at war so I could grind out early wins without caring about Exhaustion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

CapnAndy posted:

I keep getting my rear end handed to me playing Driven Assimilators. As soon as I've got two neighbors, they play war ping-pong with me; Neighbor A declares war and grinds me down to a stalemate, then before I can make good on any of my losses Neighbor B declares war with all my fleets on the other side of my borders, so I lose systems and can't get them all back before War Exhaustion hits 100%, then Neighbor A declares war again and this time I lose a planet or two and I get them back, but now their population and production has been tanked, then Neighbor B declares war and it's been like thirty years since I had a second of free time to actually park a fleet in drydock and get it upgraded so now I collapse and die.

Clearly everyone's gonna hate me forever and I guess I'm just not getting a big enough deterrent force up quick enough, but... gah. This was easier as a Devouring Swarm, because at least the Swarm don't give a gently caress about being at war so I could grind out early wins without caring about Exhaustion.

Something that Fanitic Purifiers and Devouring Swarm and Determined Exterminators get that Assimilators do not is massive combat buffs which directly inflate their fleetpower (which makes those empires less likely to get dogpiled, since the AI likes picking on anyone that looks weaker more than standing up to scary assholes they can't beat) so to offset your lack of power you kinda have to take Unyielding+Supremacy traditions and upgrade a bunch of murderstations.