Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Regardless of the narrative direction things go when Doctor Who reverts back to Davies, I hope they sack the whole production team because from sound design, to cinematography, down to the basic video quality, it has to be one of the ugliest shows on TV.

I’m not talking special effects either. Whatever they are filming on has less dynamic range than an iPhone SE (the first one). They appear to master at 720p based on the aliasing. The encoding is junk tier (I’m watching purchased digital copies so it’s not a BBC America thing.)

I think half the issue I have getting into the Chris Chibnall years is it’s too much effort to make out what’s going on in the muddied shadows with jump cuts while i’m failing to follow the dialog recorded on AliExpress special mics that’s being downed out with a wall of front channel heavy sound that just won’t let up. The whole experience is exhausting.

It wasn’t like this Moffat years. The show looked and sounded a ton better then.

Pretty sure this is because of the Tories cutting the BBC budget right and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Good Place status update, as promised. Season 1 is great, the twist at the end is :discourse:

I loved the Bad Place douchebags but this is definitely better. The reveal really works because obviously everything was intended this way and properly set up, and isn't just gently caress you we need to do something for S2. On to the next season!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

muscles like this! posted:

Really wasn't expecting full on vagina in Peacemaker.

Whatsapp will do that!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

John Cena is an s tier comedic actor lmao, what the gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mobby_6kl posted:

The Good Place status update, as promised. Season 1 is great, the twist at the end is :discourse:

I loved the Bad Place douchebags but this is definitely better. The reveal really works because obviously everything was intended this way and properly set up, and isn't just gently caress you we need to do something for S2. On to the next season!

I’m two seasons ahead of you, there’s great stuff ahead :dance: S2 is where it really starts getting interesting.

And S3 is where I’ve had the most hearty LOL moments

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Just finished the season 1 finale of Search Party. loving LOL. Not sure where they go from here for season 2.

*Dory is just... the worst.

Don't even bother trying to guess. You will always be wrong.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Looten Plunder posted:

Don't even bother trying to guess. You will always be wrong.

They should make a guess.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Y: The Last Man is indeed dead, as the (former) showrunner announced that they weren't able to get any other network to pick it up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chairman Capone posted:

Y: The Last Man is indeed dead, as the (former) showrunner announced that they weren't able to get any other network to pick it up.

https://twitter.com/TheElizaClark/status/1482081275473059845?t=YzcDsHe5VeBdKkxn5PXXHg&s=19

Pretty good read

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/BuckLePard/status/1482412920336265221

This goes to the “muppets are real people” dynamic we were talking about the other day

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Playing the world’s smallest violin over here

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I’ve started watching Search Party after seeing how much people here are enjoying it and am really liking it so far it but holy poo poo do I hate the subtitling on the HBO Max app. While I kind of like that they put them near the character that’s speaking they’re really tiny and there seems to be no option to adjust them :smith: I’m hoping I’ll get used to them after awhile but ugh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For over a year every HBO Max rip I downloaded had out of sync subtitles. They finally fixed it but for so long everything was a second out one way or the other

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Peacemaker, and I was really hoping it would turn out that the show is set in the Berenstein universe.

Missed opportunity, IMO.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SimonChris posted:

I just finished Peacemaker, and I was really hoping it would turn out that the show is set in the Berenstein universe.

Missed opportunity, IMO.

Where do you think the butterflies are coming from??? :tinfoil:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m really enjoying Archive 81 and I had no idea it was a podcast or adapted from anything. It’s nice and tense and has my favorite spooky sublime trope, stolen along with Bob’s approach over the couch from Twin Peaks. If it’s just ghosts and magic without any Lovecraft poo poo, I’ll be disappointed. I’m only halfway through, but I think it’s worth a watch.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SimonChris posted:

Missed opportunity, IMO.

Haha I had exactly the same thought. I'm sure it was intentional.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Kicking off season 2 of Search Party. Chantal adds on to the "really annoying character" list.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Chantal is the WORST

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
lol Chantle might be my favorite

but yes she is the worst

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The closure of Chantal's arc in S5 was the most incredible denouement.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

theflyingexecutive posted:

The closure of Chantal's arc in S5 was the most incredible denouement.

She's going to be around for 3 more seasons?!!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

I think she's a pretty clever addition to the show tbh; (minor spoilers) it's always like she's one step behind Dory, by roughly following the same story arc (with some significant differences, LOL).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yo, Euphoria looks so loving good. That way it's shot and that film look...just gorgeous.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I watched the season 2 finale of Murder, She Wrote last night. It guest stars John De Lancie as, basically, Q (mannerisms wise, he was a 20 something trust funder). I thought it'd be weird seeing him as another character but that character could easily have just been Q lol. Anyway if you want a random episode to watch that one was pretty good, season 2 finale.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Justified S2 is redneck Succession

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Succession is Gormenghast for squares.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Paracaidas posted:

So what's the Succession version of "it was already in the glass?"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That just makes me want to see character actress Margo Martindale in Succession.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is Gormen the Dickie/Roman or the Conor/Coover?

Rhyno posted:

Helicopter rides would be my best guess

Mu Zeta posted:

That just makes me want to see character actress Margo Martindale in Succession.
:same:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hughmoris posted:

She's only in some episodes. Please keep live posting. I love these.
Probably stay out of the thread though. It's loose with spoilers of an unexpected direction.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Shouting “gently caress off!”

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
That just makes me want to see character actress Margo Martindale in Gormenghast.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rhyno posted:

"How much is your share in Waystar Royco?"
"Well over ten dollars"

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Open Source Idiom posted:

This just makes me want Nicholas Braun (Greg) to play an extremely tall Steerpike.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
After seeing all the recs for Search Party I plowed through the first season tonight. How gloriously stupid. Starting laughing at loud at the bloody blouse

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I rewatched Justified a few years ago and the digital versions still had the "previous episode" recaps so good lord I heard that multiple times a day when I binged S2.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m really enjoying Archive 81 and I had no idea it was a podcast or adapted from anything. It’s nice and tense and has my favorite spooky sublime trope, stolen along with Bob’s approach over the couch from Twin Peaks. If it’s just ghosts and magic without any Lovecraft poo poo, I’ll be disappointed. I’m only halfway through, but I think it’s worth a watch.

I'm so happy hearing these positive things about it from folks who'd never heard of the original. I haven't watched it yet but I fell in love with season 1 and 2 of the podcast years ago and always felt it's a story/world people could enjoy in other mediums, even though it was about sound in a way well-suited to the radio broadcast type. I don't wanna spoil and for the show I genuinely have no clue what or where they'll take things, but in the podcast season 1 was not a disappointment and season 2 I was kind of like "what are you gonna do now?" and they were like "hold my tapes, we ain't even got started yet."

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Well the way it ended Dan is now stuck in the otherworld, no chance its 1994.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think that if they’re trying to set up another season, then it really is 1994. The last episode suggests that the dad escaped the fire, as he put the burned-up tapes into storage, meaning that he recovers them after the fire at his house, where they ended up prior to the apartment fire, because he watches them before rescuing Melody. The camera also ends up with him, as he picks it up after Melody is committed, and it is also burned up in 2022. There’s more story to go with the dad, and they’re not putting him in old-age makeup, and Dan teaming up with his dad and exploring whether he’s capable of changing history would build on the way that concept is introduced and ignored in season 1.

I don’t know that there could be a season 2 with just that, though, since so much of the premise gets left behind. Maybe they’d have Dan leaving tapes for Melody that she has to figure out.