Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Me reading that post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

The Bloop posted:

Me reading that post

:same:

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Smythinwessin
Thertighaytspessial
Skighoolchyighter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

keighlaighshnaykawv.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
hyskulshewtyr

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kyle Rittenhouse

Edit: wait I'm being told something

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

my username is relevant again

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

https://www.adweek.com/media/his-pabst-tweet-got-him-fired-but-thats-not-the-part-he-regrets-most/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/pervocracy/status/1477040489123786760

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Am I missing something or is the linked article missing an actual article? It’s just the headline and teaser and then the author’s bio.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Riven posted:

Am I missing something or is the linked article missing an actual article? It’s just the headline and teaser and then the author’s bio.

Sometimes it doesn't load, try incognito mode? I've copied it but I'm not fixing the formatting because :effort:

quote:

By David Griner
3 HOURS AGO

For social media marketers who reach a bit too far with their humor, the worst-case scenario is usually being fired.

And yes, Corey Smale, who tweeted Pabst Blue Ribbon’s “Try eating rear end!” tweet, did indeed lose his job. But that’s not what’s bothering him two weeks after he was fired as the beer’s brand manager for his attempt at a Dry January joke on the brand Twitter account.

Speaking exclusively to Adweek, Smale says what’s been on his mind is the responsibility that social media managers have in terms of creating a brand voice that doesn’t just resonate with a core audience but also has buy-in from co-workers across the organization.

Twitter user Jordan Pittman captured a screenshot of the deleted tweet.
Smale, a veteran creative and frequent entrepreneur based in St. Louis, said the debate around his “eating rear end” tweet—which was deleted along with some similarly themed replies by the brand—was an emotional reminder that a brand’s social media never exists in a vacuum.

“That affects everybody—even someone in accounting who isn’t on Twitter,” he says. “You have to think about it like, they work for the company that you do, too. You both get your check and your healthcare and your families are taken care of by the company. You want to do right by these people. You don’t want to push too loving hard, you know?”

Below is a transcript of Smale’s interview with Adweek. The interview has been edited for length.

Adweek: First things first, why did you tweet from a brand account about eating rear end?
Corey Smale, former brand manager, Pabst Blue Ribbon: Because I didn’t really tweet from a brand account about eating rear end. But I did tweet, from Pabst Blue Ribbon, and it said “eating rear end.” And I hosed up.

You mean, it wasn’t literally about eating rear end. Just metaphorically.
Yeah.

Would you say it was just a joke? How would you describe it?
Too far in the right direction—which I think then crosses the line into the wrong direction. Trying to be loud on Twitter. And certainly, obviously, it was loud.

It’s tricky, because you’re talking in Twitter language. But at the same time, you’re held accountable for the way those words impact business way beyond Twitter.

—Corey Smale
There’s a level of accountability that has to be understood, I guess, when a brand represents itself in its voice. It’s tricky, because you’re talking in Twitter language, you know what I mean? But at the same time, you’re held accountable for the way those words impact business way beyond Twitter.

It was wrong because it was wrong for PBR. They decided that, and I’m not going to disagree with that. I’m not going to say anything bad about PBR, either. Because I’m loyal.

I don’t want the discussion to be, “Is PBR right or wrong?” Because that’s not what it is. I was wrong, and I was the one who did it.

Did you have to run your tweets by anyone in advance? Or did you have autonomy to tweet what you wanted?
I don’t want to talk about the inner workings of it. I mean, you can kind of see for yourself, but I take full accountability. I take full accountability for everything that happened, for sure.

Was it something where you were willing to dig in your heels on a principle of keeping the tweet out there? Did you fight against deleting it?
No, not at all.

Corey Smale
How would you describe where it all stood at the end of the day?
People talked about the brand, and with a little time and perspective we can see that it was favorable. Was it right, though, for the brand? No, because it wasn’t right for the brand, you know, and it impacted the business.

When did you find out that you had lost your job?
I don’t want to talk about any of the terms of the termination of my employment.

Fair enough. What have you been up to since then?
Working in my yard. Trying to remain grounded in community.

At the same time, I want to get back out there and do some wild stuff. I recognize that what I was doing with PBR was a lot about community, just the way that we were speaking to the audiences. I hope we’ll continue to see success in that. Because PBR, historically, currently and forever, will be connected to culture. It will. It is the DIY beer brand on that big level. It rocks. I loving love it. I love PBR. The reason we were having so much fun is because the people that work on it love it.

So what I’m working on is just grounding myself in community, being open to new projects and opportunities. Will I do social media? Maybe. I’m older, and it’s a younger person’s game. I’d rather have less conversations about the tweet and more conversations about the general landscape.

I don’t want [to be hired by] someone who’s like, ‘Let’s get that motherfucker that burns it down!’ I want the ones who are like, ‘This dude’s insightful, really pushes it, is accountable.’

—Corey Smale
I think in social media and marketing, there’s a lot of conversation to be had about the way that you effectively, authentically communicate. I do know that PBR is good at it—before, during and after me. And social is a platform where you can really do a good job at that. So, I hope I can continue to do that.

My fridge is still full of PBR. I love PBR. PBR saved my life. I’m so sad. I’m heartbroken. These are my friends, you know? But now I’ve got to do some new stuff, you know, lean into my other friends, other communities.

I’m just going to try and be nice and kind. I hope that’s the way I get introduced to a new thing. I don’t want someone who’s like, “Let’s get that motherfucker that burns it down!” I want the ones who are like, “This dude’s insightful, really pushes it, is accountable.”

Do you think there’s a lesson here to be learned, either for brand marketers who really want a distinctive voice in social media or for the social media managers who are on the front lines?
There are probably multiple lessons to be learned.

One is just, how far is too far to push it?

Another is understanding the levels of accountability and responsibility in the hands of the social media manager or the community manager. Because that affects everybody—even someone in accounting who isn’t on Twitter.

You have to think about it like, they work for the company that you do too. You both get your check and your healthcare and your families are taken care of by the company. You want to do right by these people. You don’t want to push too loving hard, you know?

Run it up and down. Get to know everybody in your drat business.

—Corey Smale
Maybe it’s the thing that brings everyone together. That could be cool. You could have people in accounting being like, “I’m taking over the Twitter on Wednesdays.” I want everyone to feel represented and everyone to feel like, “Yeah, I’m involved in this, and I back this.”

I really don’t care what Twitter thinks. What I care about is that the people that work with me, that work hard and provide for their families on the same thing that I do, if it hurts them or makes things more difficult for them, including this loving article, then I hosed up. And I apologize. And please quote that.

The only thing I have to say about that is I was wrong about it, because I didn’t do what I’m saying to do—and that’s run it up, you know? Run it up and down. Get to know everybody in your drat business. Say, “I’m going to be talking wild about this brand. You down?'”

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
This is one of the stupidest things I've ever made.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

What the gently caress is that and what is wrong with you

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Glottis posted:

Went through the exact same reaction myself. Only a matter of time until I see this image someplace else and people know about it, at which point it'd be insufferable to mention SA.

I get so irrationally angry when I see someone outside of SA post something from SA ten years after the fact and I have to quell that stupid part of me that wants everyone to admire me for having seen it first.

I'm pretty sure this is why my girlfriend left me.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

BallerBallerDillz posted:

Thanks I hate it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

freeedr posted:

What the gently caress is that and what is wrong with you

It's a waffle experiencing an orgasm.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Heath posted:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Leggo my Ahegao.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

credburn posted:

I didn't come into the PYF Funny Pictures thread expecting to walk away a man who now sits down to pee.

This happened like a hundred pages ago but I really wanted to comment on it.

I feel like I've really contributed to make the world a better place.

Thank you Mr Cool Ice, I'll continue to spread your wisdom.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Hey baby :pervert:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

credburn posted:

I get so irrationally angry when I see someone outside of SA post something from SA ten years after the fact and I have to quell that stupid part of me that wants everyone to admire me for having seen it first.

I'm pretty sure this is why my girlfriend left me.

She left me first

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jabberlock posted:

Skighoolchyighter

What's this one supposed to be

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Leggo my Ahegao.

UwUffle

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's this one supposed to be

it got pretty abstract, basically what Large Testicles said

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I hate that my brain knew what this was.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

:v:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

QU'EST-CE QUE C'EST?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Bloop posted:

Me reading that post

Ob

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

QU'EST-CE QUE C'EST?

Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-far better

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Heath posted:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Deal.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

pik_d posted:

Sometimes it doesn't load, try incognito mode? I've copied it but I'm not fixing the formatting because :effort:

this interview reads like pabst has a gun to his head

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

ob, yourself

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

They're gonna need to make it 2023 if they want me to fit in that vest.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd love to read a thread about the weird wacky world of Mormonism. The Netflix documentary about the Mormon document forger who bombed a few people was fascinating.

Read John Krakauer's Under The Banner Of Heaven.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Stexils posted:

this interview reads like pabst has a gun to his head

Drinking PBR, eating rear end - your breath ends up the same.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

steampunk on herpes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

doing the needful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbVRpRgHso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man I could fit so much crap in those pockets.