Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is there even anything you can do other than get an undercarriage blast regularly in the winter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

“Wait where’s the gas door?”

“That was there when I got it.”

lmao

Rolo fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 16, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Even if you clean, this is every northeast car that's driven in the winter at the 10 year mark.

Yeah no. This is maintenance an storage problems.

My daughter's 08 is on it's first replacement exhaust, cat back only, and has no unibody rot. Every time I've done suspension work it involves a BFH and/or a torch to deal with fasteners or those loving unit bearings, but the body is fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Is there even anything you can do other than get an undercarriage blast regularly in the winter?

That and not parking it on a porous surface. If you can't do both of those things, end even if you can, get it undercoated at a ziebart/waxoil type place. The stuff works great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hobbesmaster posted:

The PO of my E36 had truck bed liner sprayed on its undercarriage. Knock on wood, but it seems to have held up pretty well for the 10 years I’ve had it in Boston. Daily drove it for 7 of those 10.

Just give it a good spray every 7-21 days and/or give it a good drive in the winter rains that inevitably happen every two weeks or so.

My 2015 FiST is a MA car that looks like it was probably dailied as well (~75k miles when bought). There’s rust on the fasteners/clips/hose clamps/etc in the bay and underneath, but again the body and undercarriage look pretty clean for being “the better part of a decade, driven daily” as some people are saying.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Motronic posted:

Yeah no. This is maintenance an storage problems.

Washed my 2002 WRX pretty much every week, even in the winter, doing under carriage spray and all. Sprayed out wheel wells extensively. Was never parked on a porous surface.

This is what the rear brake dust shield looked like after 10 years (actually almost to the day.)

By the time I traded it in, I had bubbles starting to form in the rear wheel arches.

I mean, this is a car that had a control arm recall recall for corrosion from road salt.

There are a lot of variables that can affect corrosion. Local pollution can accelerate it quite a bit. Temperature has affect on it as well. If you live in a colder climate you are going to experience less corrosion than areas that border freezing.

Southwestern PA averages above freezing for daytime high for pretty much the whole winter with freezes at night and salt application is usually happening several times a week due to freeze thaw cycles. When your car ends up looking like this when you drive it 5 feet in the winter, there's only so clean you can keep it. Then it sits in the work parking lot at 34 degrees for most of the day and just quietly self destructs.

I don't expect my Golf to get anywhere near as bad though simply because I don't have to drive it on the highway daily in the weather. Most of the time it only gets salty from the ambient salt particles that settle on it like pollen does in the spring.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 17, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Washed my 2002 WRX pretty much every week, even in the winter, doing under carriage spray and all. Sprayed out wheel wells extensively. Was never parked on a porous surface.

This is what the rear brake dust shield looked like after 10 years (actually almost to the day.)

By the time I traded it in, I had bubbles starting to form in the rear wheel arches.

I mean, this is a car that had a control arm recall recall for corrosion from road salt.

There are a lot of variables that can affect corrosion. Local pollution can accelerate it quite a bit. Temperature has affect on it as well. If you live in a colder climate you are going to experience less corrosion than areas that border freezing.

Southwestern PA averages above freezing for daytime high for pretty much the whole winter with freezes at night and salt application is usually happening several times a week due to freeze thaw cycles. When your car ends up looking like this when you drive it 5 feet in the winter, there's only so clean you can keep it. Then it sits in the work parking lot at 34 degrees for most of the day and just quietly self destructs.

I don't expect my Golf to get anywhere near as bad though simply because I don't have to drive it on the highway daily in the weather. Most of the time it only gets salty from the ambient salt particles that settle on it like pollen does in the spring.

Idk, I’ve lived in the northeast for all 32 of my years and that to me looks more like an “old Subaru problem” than purely a “northeast problem”.

I know it might be a bit of a sensitive subject in this particular thread, but it’s not like Subarus don’t have a bit of a reputation for rusting out that say—Hondas and Toyotas do not.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Toyotas do not.

:crossarms:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ok Comboomer posted:

Idk, I’ve lived in the northeast for all 32 of my years and that to me looks more like an “old Subaru problem” than purely a “northeast problem”.

I know it might be a bit of a sensitive subject in this particular thread, but it’s not like Subarus don’t have a bit of a reputation for rusting out that say—Hondas and Toyotas do not.

Toyotas rust out, they just issue quiet recalls over it, or get sued into buying them back.

There was a quiet "recall" around 2008 where they were buying back Tacomas from like the previous decade ('95-'00, iirc), paying 1.5x KBB if they failed their frame rot test, and cutting deals on new Tacomas for the hassle. Trucks that would be under actual recall after a lawsuit around 2016.

Everything rusts, even the "great" japanese brands.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Not all NE cars look like that!

My 2005 Legacy:

I haven’t driven it in the winter for the last 7 years

I replaced loving everything

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Toyotas rust out, they just issue quiet recalls over it, or get sued into buying them back.

There was a quiet "recall" around 2008 where they were buying back Tacomas from like the previous decade ('95-'00, iirc), paying 1.5x KBB if they failed their frame rot test, and cutting deals on new Tacomas for the hassle. Trucks that would be under actual recall after a lawsuit around 2016.

Everything rusts, even the "great" japanese brands.

Fair enough, but the idea that “here’s this car I had that was literally subject to a recall because of how bad the corrosion problems on it were” is at all representative of the average car-owning experience in the northeast is laughable.

My ‘04 CRV had 160k miles on it, lived outside literally its entire life, was “the winter car” for my parents for a number of years, and the body was pristine from a corrosion standpoint when I totaled it last year.

My family’s routinely taken cars to 200k miles, held onto them for 10-15 years, parked them in the driveway, daily-driven them winter after winter—these are Hondas, Fords, VWs, Audis, MB, and yes even one Subaru—and the only one to ever develop a notable case of car cancer is the 97 Cabrio with holes in the convertible top where the water’s gotten in.

Car cancer is not an inevitability, it’s a lifestyle choice that owners make.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Some environments are just worse for cars. A subaru in the southwest is unlikely to meet the fate of a northeast car. Humidity, average rainfall and snow accumulation, frequency and type of melting agents used regionally.

Sure, some of it does come down to the owner and maintenance, but it takes above average diligence to keep something in decent shape with the character of climate in the northeast, compared to someone in Arizona.

My Outback is slowly going to degrade in the arid climate of the southwest, covered in hail dings and rust where the paint chipped away from hail. Haven't even washed it since I bought it. But it will probably outlive a new Outback sold today in upstate New York.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 17, 2022

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My '05 Legacy has been my DD for 9 years now, and the PO drove it daily as well. It's not spotless underneath, but it's mostly all light surface rust, the only the rear quarter panels and the bottom of the driver side doors that are getting any "major" rust or corrosion. One of these days I'll cut out the rust in the quarters and respray it close enough, especially now that the motor and most of the driveline/suspension is all new parts.

Edit: I should note that this is in Minnesota and North Dakota for pretty much it's whole life, so plenty of road salt and sand in the winter. I've mostly always parked in a garage, unless the garage has been full of projects.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ok Comboomer posted:

Car cancer is not an inevitability, it’s a lifestyle choice that owners make.

And gently caress you too buddy. I took immaculate care of the car and it still had issues.

PitViper posted:

Edit: I should note that this is in Minnesota and North Dakota for pretty much it's whole life, so plenty of road salt and sand in the winter. I've mostly always parked in a garage, unless the garage has been full of projects.

Temperature plays into it. The average high in (for example) Minneapolis Dec-Feb is below 30 degrees which slows down corrosion a lot.

Average high in SW PA December-Feb never gets below 37. Being above freezing during the day speeds up the process. It's that borderline that's car death. Cold enough that salt application is near constant for the winter months but daytimes above freezing.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 17, 2022

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
A lot of rust cancer on Subaru cars is due to poor design.

The GCs from the mid 90s through 2002 rusted out behind the rear tires because the dirt would get trapped back there and trap the moisture. The wagons also rusted out in the rear strut towers
Then the GD's would rust out in the wheel well because of a piece of rubber that trapped the moisture.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Don't make me take pictures of the underbody of my 222k mile almost exclusively parked outside '99 Impreza.

Seriously, please don't, there's a foot of snow outside, I'd get soaked.

I did definitely notice a lot of first generation Legacies getting rust on the back of the rear wheel well in the late '00s to mid '10s, although that was just cars driving by so I have no idea how they were taken care of or where they lived.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bull3964 posted:

And gently caress you too buddy. I took immaculate care of the car and it still had issues.

And I’m really sorry that you had to go through that, but it’s super not representative of the average experience.

Bring this up in a gen chat-style AI thread that isn’t the Subaru thread and see what people have to say about it.

I’ve looked at plenty of 10-20 year old cars here and for the overwhelming most part their rotors and axles weren’t disintegrating

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Don't make me take pictures of the underbody of my 222k mile almost exclusively parked outside '99 Impreza.

Seriously, please don't, there's a foot of snow outside, I'd get soaked.

well what’s the deal with it?

is it dangerously rusty or not?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The only rust is on the exhaust pretty much, and on the non-wear surfaces of the brakes. I think one of the exhaust flanges needs replacing from what the mechanic said, and there's a rust pinhole right under where condensation would fall from the tailpipe, but structurally it's perfectly solid. I'm about to replace the valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, timing belt, spark plug wires, and front brakes because the whole driveline and body is rock-solid. Unless I have some unexpected catastrophic failure that suddenly destroys something very expensive, it should last another 100k miles.

My SVX is in even better shape but it was driven less and basically the entire front half of the underbody is coated in a thick layer of oil from all of the leaking seals and gaskets, it's hard to rust under a two millimeter thick coat of grease.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

rickiep00h posted:

It's a '93 Legacy :v:

Sorry for your masochism. :suicide:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Going to be pulling the motor in my 08 Leggy. Hoping she just needs a new shortblock, seems to shoot oil straight out the tailpipes so I'm guessing a melted or broken piston at 190K miles.

Any specialty tools that I might want besides the cam sprocket wrenches for rebuilding? I've been watching a lot of videos on the process and read over the FSM for removal, doesn't seem too difficult to get it out. last motor I pulled was from a 4 cyl 92 camry to swap in a v6 when it spun a rod bearing after half a million miles.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Looks like decision time on my dinged up '13 WRX. The ECU started going apeshit, pulling 15 degrees of timing in places like 1/4 throttle. Knowing this one is due for plugs, I parked it immediately to prepare for the plug job. A cursory check of the vitals found the oil a quart and a half low.....gently caress. Being that it has fouled an O2 sensor in the last 5 years, I pop the intercooler loose.

Gonna need a turbo. It's pretty oily in there. I've always had a tune on it, but all stock parts. I'm really not sure, with the market being what it is, what I want to do with it as far as fix/upgrade. It's got about 125k on the clock.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 19, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finished my trim de-silvering and got the wheels back:

I like it :shrug:. Just needs a wash once the rain ends.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That looks VERY correct.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Yeah that looks a lot better than I thought it would

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hell yeah.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I think that looks excellent.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

It looks great. Chrome belongs on old cars, IMO most modern cars look so much better without it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I appreciate it! The last cosmetic piece I’m looking at is the trunk STI logo. The chrome trim on it isn’t that bad but I think the 2005+ badge would separate the cherry blossom and red a bit better.

Also maybe some modest window tinting is in order…

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Someone on Reddit got to go check out the new WRX base model. Look at the new infotainment unit:

:barf: :barf: :barf:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s the same low/mid/high units as the outback.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's on the console divider is more offensive.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Have there been any improvements on replacing the head units on the VA WRX's? I have a base and it might be time to switch to Android Auto. Would just switching it to an OEM higher spec headunit work?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

net work error posted:

Have there been any improvements on replacing the head units on the VA WRX's? I have a base and it might be time to switch to Android Auto. Would just switching it to an OEM higher spec headunit work?

I have a base VA WRX and changed my head unit years ago to a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. What "improvements on replacing the head units" are you referring to? It's a basic double din swap.

Edit: "Basic". I have not seen how ugly an infotainment swap is.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

um excuse me posted:

I have a base VA WRX and changed my head unit years ago to a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. What "improvements on replacing the head units" are you referring to? It's a basic double din swap.

Edit: "Basic". I have not seen how ugly an infotainment swap is.

I read a post where someone had to DIY a harness for the new unit but thinking about it now, it might have been for an Outback or Forester.

When you swapped the unit was there a good set of directions you found?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol nope. But that's why I made my own.

http://ae64.com/20-pin-pinout.htm

That's the meat and potatoes. The Metra steering wheel controller has its own set of instructions for wiring and programming. But that's it, really.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 24, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rolo posted:

Someone on Reddit got to go check out the new WRX base model. Look at the new infotainment unit:

:barf: :barf: :barf:

The shifter is much more offensive

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

um excuse me posted:

Lol nope. But that's why I made my own.

http://ae64.com/20-pin-pinout.htm

That's the meat and potatoes. The Metra steering wheel controller has its own set of instructions for wiring and programming. But that's it, really.

It was your post I remember then! I've never made a harness myself so it sure looked intimidating to me.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The guesswork is the worst part. Sitting there and mapping which wires go where. After that you just buy a harness adapter for a Subaru and the head unit comes with the other half, then solder together as shown above. I retained steering wheel controls as well as the auxiliary USB and 3.5 mm aux cable. You dont have to retain any of that but I wanted a factory feeling experience with all buttons and ports working.

Also when I added in subs and integrated dashcam, then things got complicated. I added another fusebox underneath the shifter lol

I plan to dump these diagrams on the next owner and tell him or her good luck. It's probably more than most people do though.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Rolo posted:

Finished my trim de-silvering and got the wheels back:

I like it :shrug:. Just needs a wash once the rain ends.

Those look great! Where did you order them from? I think something similar would look great on my magnetite grey WRX.