Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

BOTW had one of the most disappointing moments I ever felt in a video game.

In the game you can tame wild horses, ride them to a stable and register them along with giving them a name.

Unfortunately horses are by far the lamest of all video game mounts, but you can ride and tame other animals as well.
I managed to tame a doe, a female deer, and had an idea, I would try to register her.

So I rode her all the way too the nearest stable and spoke to the stable master.
And sure enough, he started the registration speech, I was so excited I was going to save Hyrule from the back of a cute deer!
Then he cuts off his speech to yell at me that you can only register horses, I was actually pretty sad I couldn't do this.

I was gonna name her Raspberry! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A true sandbox would let you jump on any person's back and ride them to the stable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

You can also be disappointed by not being able to register a bear!

Honestly I hate the horses in that game, the dumb ancient motorcycle you can get in the dlc is so much better. The only problem is that you have to go through 90% of the main game content before you can get it, there really needs to be a NG+ where Link wakes up to find his sweet-rear end bike right outside the resurrection chamber.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pulsarcat posted:

a doe, a deer, a female deer

Ftfy

But yeah the whole mount system is annoying, especially when you get one of the cool rare mounts and get to enjoy it for all of five minutes. Making the ability to call them from anywhere a dlc thing was a weird move, too. God forbid you need your horse once you've moved out of earshot

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Yakuza: Like a Dragon, but also major spoilers for a relatively recent game so full [redact] text.

Kiryu. Man do I really wish Kiryu didn't show up. Yeah it makes sense as a cutesy 'passing the torch' moment, but the game was honestly really good in terms of making the whole cast feel very real and human, and then Mr. 2005 Perfect Badass comes out and beats everyone up while also being cool and collected as ever while basically going 'heh, maybe in ten years kiddo :clint:'. From what a friend told me, playing Yakuza 6 apparently helps that scene out a lot, but just man. What a sour moment for what otherwise was a really good story.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
botw should have been the timeline where hylians tamed Skulltulas, or Sheikah breed and domesticated Skulltulas because they saw that future Link would just mainline ever cliffface.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Immortals Fenyx Rising the tutorial mount is a stag, and you can also find horses and unicorns and other mounts that the game does let you keep as you just equip whichever mount you've tamed from a menu. It's more abstract, but it's fun and there are a lot of different ones. Also you just hold r3 and you are magically on one, you don't have to find it or get it from a building.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ishikabibble posted:

Yakuza: Like a Dragon, but also major spoilers for a relatively recent game so full [redact] text.

Kiryu. Man do I really wish Kiryu didn't show up. Yeah it makes sense as a cutesy 'passing the torch' moment, but the game was honestly really good in terms of making the whole cast feel very real and human, and then Mr. 2005 Perfect Badass comes out and beats everyone up while also being cool and collected as ever while basically going 'heh, maybe in ten years kiddo :clint:'. From what a friend told me, playing Yakuza 6 apparently helps that scene out a lot, but just man. What a sour moment for what otherwise was a really good story.

I also hated that they had Kiryu show up to stop Ichiban beating a man to death with his bare hands. That's the most out-of-character thing for Ichiban to ever do.

lol at the idea that Yakuza 6 helps that out, though, Kiryu returning in Yakuza 7 basically invalidates the entire ending of 6

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

serefin99 posted:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

In order to get through the game's designated water area, you need a specific power. Unlike other powers used to navigate the castle, though, this one isn't a guaranteed drop from a boss, it's a random drop from a regular enemy. What's more, the power allows you to swim, but it only allows you to swim; you can't open chests underwater or use any of your other navigation powers. In order to do that, you need to go to the area past the water area, fight a boss, and get a power that lets you walk underwater.

The entire thing feels so... arbitrary and obnoxious. Like, either have the first power let me do all the underwater stuff I need, or structure the water area such that I can get the second power without needing the first power.

There's one more stupid design decision in Bloodstained like that: the spikebreaker armor. It's necessary to get past a spiked hallway, and getting past that hallway is necessary to get to the third act of the game.

You can find it in a chest in the far upper left corner of the cylinder tower where you fight the double headed dragon thing. I only found it because I scoured the map looking for it.

Those are the two big what the gently caress decisions in the game.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

OutOfPrint posted:

There's one more stupid design decision in Bloodstained like that: the spikebreaker armor. It's necessary to get past a spiked hallway, and getting past that hallway is necessary to get to the third act of the game.

You can find it in a chest in the far upper left corner of the cylinder tower where you fight the double headed dragon thing. I only found it because I scoured the map looking for it.

I'm ok with that one because it's blatantly copying Symphony of the Night.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

rydiafan posted:

I'm ok with that one because it's blatantly copying Symphony of the Night.

Yeah but it was a lovely design choice in SotN too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can cheese through that area by mass eating.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
I never played Symphony of the Night, so I don't know how many things were carried over, but I did enjoy Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night quite a bit.

I agree with the issues already brought up. I also felt like there were too many powers. Initially, I tried each one as I acquired them, but then it soon became overwhelming and I mostly ignored them. It seemed like too many that were the same (e.g. shoot or summon a projectile in front of you) and since the powers need to be grinded and crafted to upgrade, it is the the same issue I have with other games that level weapons individually (how do I know if this new weapon at Level 1 would be better than the weapon I currently have upgraded to Level 5 if I were to put the effort into upgrading it. or do I do all that work and find out it was a waste).

I liked the monster variety, so I don't think I would have them reduce that, just have more shared powers (they already have a few monsters that drop the same power as another monster).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

OutOfPrint posted:

both of these things were baffling especially after how well I heard the game was received. bloodstained averaged out to “fine, I guess” for me in the end but I was not expecting this kind of antiquated progression design in either case.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

In Inscryption, is Act 3 really just a tedious and more mundane version of act 1?

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Manager Hoyden posted:

In Inscryption, is Act 3 really just a tedious and more mundane version of act 1?

You don't even get the enjoyment of figuring out the broader puzzle, since PO3 just tells you what to do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gort posted:

I also hated that they had Kiryu show up to stop Ichiban beating a man to death with his bare hands. That's the most out-of-character thing for Ichiban to ever do.

lol at the idea that Yakuza 6 helps that out, though, Kiryu returning in Yakuza 7 basically invalidates the entire ending of 6

the entire last act of LAD was a car accident, maybe the steepest drop in quality of any game in the series. there were definitely entries that were worse overall, but LAD started so well and ended so badly

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've only played Y0 and Kiwami but they both felt like the wheels were coming off towards the end. Sounds like it's a bit of a series tradition

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

In Immortals Fenyx Rising the tutorial mount is a stag, and you can also find horses and unicorns and other mounts that the game does let you keep as you just equip whichever mount you've tamed from a menu. It's more abstract, but it's fun and there are a lot of different ones. Also you just hold r3 and you are magically on one, you don't have to find it or get it from a building.

It’s really annoying that the Pegasus can’t fly

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A small thing that I take umbrage with - how the hell is the Boo in the Hotel Shop floor not named "Bootique" in Luigi's Mansion 3? I'm irrationally annoyed by that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In Breath of the Wild, there's the Eventide Island challenge where you're stripped of all items and armor, and have to complete the whole thing using stuff you collect onsite. Fine, a good challenge some people will want to do. The problem is, the island takes ages of slow, laborious process to get to and once you set foot on it, if you decide you don't want to do it, the game's just like "Oh ho ho ho....fast travel away from here? I think not :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog:"
Just another weirdly lovely design moment in a game that otherwise has a ton of stuff to love.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I bought two games with atrocious tutorials imo.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

I wish that when they had updated the graphics and stuff and gave you the ability to wear any type of armor as a visual over what you actually have equipped they had also taken another pass on the tutorial because even still remembering how to play the game just fine until they start introducing the Telethia and Spike damage it still feels clunky and like there's way too much happening.

Monster Hunter World: Nothing about this really feels right and I know it's partly because I don't have PlayStation Plus and playing it offline is gonna feel awkward but even then all these menu boxes my god.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

RareAcumen posted:

Monster Hunter World: Nothing about this really feels right and I know it's partly because I don't have PlayStation Plus and playing it offline is gonna feel awkward but even then all these menu boxes my god.

Not really no. Like yes you can hunt with others, but outside of that you don't interact with other players at all. Theoretically theres a special zone in astera that you can hang with people in, but even when the game was new on ps4, those were always empty. MH just has lots of menus.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man the zero g basketball in Dead Space is cool. I wish it did not last for 20 unbroken minutes if you want the power node. I was dizzy by the end and am terrified/excited to see how the sport of basketball will be made even less watchable by the omnidirectional movement in the remake!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I loved Astalon despite a few janky mechanics (clipping thru ladders/moving platforms) but the boss rush mode is just tedious. Not only do they make you sit there and farm orbs at the beginning of every run before you can start fighting but you have to watch full boss intro/death sequences EVERY time along with the “item get” animation afterwards. They should have emphasized the “rush” part of the concept.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So a new yu gi oh game came out, figured I'd check it out since I've been wanting to play some TCG stuff for a while, how bad could that be? It's somehow worse than the previous mobile game. Turn limits are like, 500 seconds and since they don't seem to have staggered the card releases as far as I can tell and are using an incredibly loose ban list, every match I got into was just 499 seconds (when the timer wasn't frozen) of watching my opponent jerk himself off clearing the entire board and getting some unkillable invincible monster with more attack power than I had life points and winning in one hit. Every single time. And the animations are slow as gently caress, too. It's somehow the most miserable experience I've had playing a card game in a long time.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

In Breath of the Wild, there's the Eventide Island challenge where you're stripped of all items and armor, and have to complete the whole thing using stuff you collect onsite. Fine, a good challenge some people will want to do. The problem is, the island takes ages of slow, laborious process to get to and once you set foot on it, if you decide you don't want to do it, the game's just like "Oh ho ho ho....fast travel away from here? I think not :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog:"
Just another weirdly lovely design moment in a game that otherwise has a ton of stuff to love.

I'm like 90% confident if you just start to swim away from the island, the game says something along the lines of "would you like to abandon this challenge and try again later?" and teleports you to the main coastline

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

thecluckmeme posted:

I'm like 90% confident if you just start to swim away from the island, the game says something along the lines of "would you like to abandon this challenge and try again later?" and teleports you to the main coastline

It does.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm playing through Great Ace Attorney, the second part/sequel, and man, I am so sick of Soseki Natsume. I'm tired of interacting with him, with having to talk to him, all of it. He's such a selfish, irritating, self-involved idiot and the fact that you seem to interact with him more than any other non-main character in the game is baffling. I don't want to defend him, I don't want to talk to him.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I'm playing through Great Ace Attorney, the second part/sequel, and man, I am so sick of Soseki Natsume. I'm tired of interacting with him, with having to talk to him, all of it. He's such a selfish, irritating, self-involved idiot and the fact that you seem to interact with him more than any other non-main character in the game is baffling. I don't want to defend him, I don't want to talk to him.

I imagine they feature him so heavily because he's based on a real person.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So a new yu gi oh game came out, figured I'd check it out since I've been wanting to play some TCG stuff for a while, how bad could that be? It's somehow worse than the previous mobile game. Turn limits are like, 500 seconds and since they don't seem to have staggered the card releases as far as I can tell and are using an incredibly loose ban list, every match I got into was just 499 seconds (when the timer wasn't frozen) of watching my opponent jerk himself off clearing the entire board and getting some unkillable invincible monster with more attack power than I had life points and winning in one hit. Every single time. And the animations are slow as gently caress, too. It's somehow the most miserable experience I've had playing a card game in a long time.

I don't know if it's server issues or w/e but this is the slowest I think mainline games have ever been for multiplayer. It's also just bizarre how the game reverses some of the UX lessons from Duel Links and has one of the slowest main menus this side of Call of Duty.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Dynasty Warriors 9 (ps4) uses the same button for attack for closing tutorial messages as well, which means alot of skipped info. Yeah, I know it's a D.W. game, not the most complex game but I've never played one and this game has fishing, capturing animals with box traps, weird poo poo like that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

Aside from what others have said about the game giving you your items back if you go far enough away, the game only triggers the challenge if you actually, physically set foot on the island.

Just never touch the ground and you can keep all your items. :smuggo:

edit: here's a handy demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9OU7YnfIvE

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol. I'm just pissed because I lost a bunch of fish I grabbed along the way when I instantly reloaded a save to get away from there :arghfist:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nuebot posted:

watching my opponent jerk himself off clearing the entire board and getting some unkillable invincible monster with more attack power than I had life points and winning in one hit. Every single time. It's somehow the most miserable experience I've had playing a card game in a long time.

That's just what Yugioh is now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

I imagine they feature him so heavily because he's based on a real person.

Yeah when a guy with no weird pun name showed up I immediately looked him up.

Sucks for the real guy to be done dirty like this though.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night, two things.

They just ported the PSP version which, fair, but that means it uses the godawful new translation/VAs so all the classic goofy poo poo is reworked into boring "correct" dialogue.

Also this thing does NOT stop shaking. The controller vibrates every time you jump, attack, get hit or kill an enemy, and you're always doing at least one of those things, and there's no function to disable it in game. I had to go turn the vibration off at the console level because it was actually starting to kind of gently caress up my fingers.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Morpheus posted:

Yeah when a guy with no weird pun name showed up I immediately looked him up.

Sucks for the real guy to be done dirty like this though.

Idk maybe he deserved it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

Not really no. Like yes you can hunt with others, but outside of that you don't interact with other players at all. Theoretically theres a special zone in astera that you can hang with people in, but even when the game was new on ps4, those were always empty. MH just has lots of menus.

I guess it's just me then. It feels like a complicated game with a ton going on and maybe I'm just overwhelmed by everything. Got that new game confusion where I'm not sure if I'm doing anything right yet. Made a Defender Hammer and the damage jumped from 416 to 676 and I can't tell if that's normal or I'm skipping stuff like that free Dark Souls looking armor set they give you. Thank god for that one too, that Barroth fight sucked trying to do it normally with leather armor meant that every hit would one-shot me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes, the defender weapons and armor are essentially cheats patched into the game after release which teach you bad habits while also erasing a bunch of the game’s content in LR and HR by removing any choice and exploration in what equipment to forge. a dumb and bad addition to the game.

it’s very fair to be overwhelmed, the game has a ton of systems and many of the weapons are not intuitive to use at all. Monster hunter world does a better job of onboarding you than previous games but still kinda sucks at it.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Jan 19, 2022