Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mojo1701a posted:

"I refuse to participate in cancel culture" says man who literally tried to get a website going where you could register college professors who taught critical thought antithetical to whatever Jorp and his acolytes believe.

Right wing propaganda ignores what it is and just blasts the focus grouped phrase "cancel culture" specifically for this situation. "Thought terminating cliche" is the academic term. Years of being told from every source that cancel culture is a bad thing done by bad people to do bad stuff solidifies it as bad. What it actually is and means in reality is meaningless and nobody thinks about that, it has been labeled bad. To them Jorp is not bad, he is in the right tribe, he is good, and good people don't do bad things so he's not doing a cancel culture, that's what bad people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
They literally try to cancel each other all the time for doing things as egregious as “is only 95% Patriot soldier robot”.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TheBizzness posted:

They literally try to cancel each other all the time for doing things as egregious as “is only 95% Patriot soldier robot”.

You're absolutely right, they do cancel culture all the time. Because people do it all the time. It's a human thing. It's not cancel culture it's social consequences and group dynamics of a society. Shunning, shaming, banishment, it's been around forever. For as long as there has been anything as or more complex than tribal bands in human history it's been done, it's a part of our nature. This particular outcome of it hurts them because they're raging poo poo heads motivated by spite and bigotry and everyone else at large has decided "Yeah I dunno I think who someone has sex with behind closed doors doesn't determine whether they've got a right to life and doesn't have anything to do with me so maybe just let them alone?" Right wing propaganda has distilled that anger and focus grouped it into one easy to digest phrase that can short circuit any critical analysis of why everyone else is treating them this way and just lets them get even more spiteful and bigoted. "It's bad people doing a bad thing to YOU, the good person. No reason to think about it, they're bad you're good, they do bad things you do good things."

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/uberfeminist/status/1482222822114086913

i mean of course he did

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm the jorpo in that thread who looked up ((())) for the first time on wikipedia and is now a complete savant on the matter and ready to debate

https://twitter.com/jimdoesitreal/status/1482343692140789765

unrelatedly

https://twitter.com/meta_macro/status/1482483430814367750

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Right wing propaganda ignores what it is and just blasts the focus grouped phrase "cancel culture" specifically for this situation. "Thought terminating cliche" is the academic term. Years of being told from every source that cancel culture is a bad thing done by bad people to do bad stuff solidifies it as bad. What it actually is and means in reality is meaningless and nobody thinks about that, it has been labeled bad. To them Jorp is not bad, he is in the right tribe, he is good, and good people don't do bad things so he's not doing a cancel culture, that's what bad people do.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread.
I got a friend who started down the alt-right youtube path. Used to be fairly left leaning. Still a very reasonable person, with reasonable beliefs. As long as you don't mention any of their trigger words. The right wing media is literally brainwashing people to react with disgust and anger when they hear certain words. I can have a conversation with him, and as long as i purposefully don't say anything the right has primed their people over, I can walk him right through normal good ideas, like workers rights, gender equality, social services, all that fun jazz that somehow only belongs to "the left" now. If I mention one of the no-no words, its like some manchurian candidate* poo poo where he goes from pleasant and reasonable to instantly angry spit yelling and basically just listing more right wing trigger words which just makes him angrier.

*I have never read manchurian candidate

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

The Fattest PI posted:

I can have a conversation with him, and as long as i purposefully don't say anything the right has primed their people over, I can walk him right through normal good ideas, like workers rights, gender equality, social services, all that fun jazz that somehow only belongs to "the left" now.

I’ve noticed this too. I have a friend who’s always been a bit right-leaning but recently she’s been going down the YouTube rabbit hole of fascist nut jobs. I can get her to agree to some really left-wing ideas so long as I’m careful to avoid leftist terminology.

The Fattest PI posted:

Most of these clowns have never read Nineteen Eighty Four either but that doesn’t stop them

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

i'm the jorpo in that thread who looked up ((())) for the first time on wikipedia and is now a complete savant on the matter and ready to debate

Maybe the caffeine hasn't kicked in, but I am having a really hard time tracking his argument. A tweet obviously used an anti-semitic dog whistle, but because its use originated on 4-chan right-wing chuds can forever claim backsies?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Maybe the caffeine hasn't kicked in, but I am having a really hard time tracking his argument. A tweet obviously used an anti-semitic dog whistle, but because its use originated on 4-chan right-wing chuds can forever claim backsies?

"Woke leftists are so easy to trigger all I have to do is be super racist and they get upset!"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Fattest PI posted:

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread.
I got a friend who started down the alt-right youtube path. Used to be fairly left leaning. Still a very reasonable person, with reasonable beliefs. As long as you don't mention any of their trigger words. The right wing media is literally brainwashing people to react with disgust and anger when they hear certain words. I can have a conversation with him, and as long as i purposefully don't say anything the right has primed their people over, I can walk him right through normal good ideas, like workers rights, gender equality, social services, all that fun jazz that somehow only belongs to "the left" now. If I mention one of the no-no words, its like some manchurian candidate* poo poo where he goes from pleasant and reasonable to instantly angry spit yelling and basically just listing more right wing trigger words which just makes him angrier.

Yeah, my Jorp-leaning friend is similar. Mostly leftist ideas his whole life, but got super, super into YouTube and now still thinks republicans are the worst, but also that 'woke' culture is out of control, and it's gonna cost Democrats elections, etc. He's still capable of having a reasonable discussion, but he's really bought into all the cancel culture poo poo (he was very annoyed when Chapelle got 'cancelled').

It sucks, because I honestly wonder where his politics will lay 2 years from now, all because he wanted to watch funny videos on YouTube a decade ago, and YouTube at some point turned into a reactionary machine.

He has started watching Cumtown and Chapo stuff on youtube, which seems encouraging. Maybe that'll fix his algorithm a bit. And it's leftist content that definitely isn't particularly 'woke' or whatever.

Yes. It's the same reason those drat libtards are just overreacting to a guy flashing the 'ok' sign.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Didn't the alt-right take over the pepe meme?

Either way, whether Jorp knew what the parentheses meant, he's bought in to something said by someone who (likely?) DOES know what they mean.

I don't know who that guy he's quoting is, but he seems like a complete gently caress rear end.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Pretty much. White supremacists deliberately pick symbols that look innocuous at first glance so they can turn around and make anyone who calls them out look like paranoid idiots.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Either way, whether Jorp knew what the parentheses meant, he's bought in to something said by someone who (likely?) DOES know what they mean.
the second tweet i posted is a screencap of that exact someone straight-out saying they were using the parentheses to indicate jewishness.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The classic "its just a joke" defense.

Didn't the alt-right take over the pepe meme?
Yes, but the artist has been working to take it back and made a really awesome documentary I can't recommend enough. it goes into how all this lost white men get radicalized through memes, and also into a lot of artists feelings about having his work stolen and used for that.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Kind of an aside, but the twitter algorithm is hosed just like youtube. I have a twitter account I barely use. I think I've made 20 really stupid posts, and follow like 5 people that have no significance.

Every other day I get emails/push notifications for some right wing dipshit saying some fuckin stupid rear end stuff. That or it'll be a random girl taking a selfie with a bit of cleavage showing. I don't follow any of these people I'm getting notifications for. Why does it think I'm some right wing incel loser?

BIG BABY JESUS
Jan 4, 2009

comrade commisrawr
I've actually noticed at least in my parts of online a lot fewer young people saying things like "don't get so OFFENDED", recently. Used to be fun to just berate them for 15 minutes until they suddenly understood that mutual care was Good Actually.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

https://twitter.com/jimdoesitreal/status/1482343692140789765

ive never heard of something before so it does not exist

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I had a coworker over a decade ago legit accuse me of making up the phrase "Oh snap" because he had never heard it before. Of course he also didn't bother to Google it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

4chan has made up joke things to troll lazy journalists who have a slow news day and think that "It's on the internet" is a reliable source

therefore everything that comes out of 4chan is a joke from merry pranksters

that's the logic.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No one has actually used the Jew echo sincerely in the entire history of the internet.

No, not even the person in the quoted thread who showed up to clarify that they used it specifically to indicate that a person was Jewish, and therefore nefarious.

they were just pretending to be anti-semitic, as a joke

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

There needs to be something like a Rule 34 corollary to Poe's law.

Somewhere, someone is taking it seriously. No exceptions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's more like that Sartre quote about anti-semites. It's not so much 'there's no such thing as ironic racism' as 'all racism is ironic'. It's always fun and games to them, and they always have excuses.

The ((( thing also has gotten picked up and used for themselves by some of the cringest twitter centrists attempting to... I dunno, 'fight' it by muddying the waters.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The ((( thing also has gotten picked up and used for themselves by some of the cringest twitter centrists attempting to... I dunno, 'fight' it by muddying the waters.

I always associated it with those really fragile Twitter Zionists who are constantly having mental breakdowns over the lightest criticism of Israel.

Or I did, until I delted Twitter and my life and mental health were improved tenfold in a single day.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more like that Sartre quote about anti-semites. It's not so much 'there's no such thing as ironic racism' as 'all racism is ironic'. It's always fun and games to them, and they always have excuses.

Some people tried to reclaim it but it didn't work.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Whorelord posted:

I always associated it with those really fragile Twitter Zionists who are constantly having mental breakdowns over the lightest criticism of Israel.

Or I did, until I delted Twitter and my life and mental health were improved tenfold in a single day.

I know the ones. And there's a reason my Twitter is exclusively for Switch screenshots.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know the ones. And there's a reason my Twitter is exclusively for Switch screenshots.

With the qr code update, you don't even need twitter for that anymore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

With the qr code update, you don't even need twitter for that anymore.

Yeah, but that's a pain in the rear end.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

My twitter got hacked years ago and spams ads for dick pills. I thank that hacker everyday, keeping me off the site and producing content better than than most users.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just tell politicians to suck farts until brain death and all your twitter accounts will be suspended.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
https://twitter.com/thebadstats/status/1483452764340600842

Big Brain Jordan is at it again!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Do you think he further embarrasses University of Toronto with each passing day or has the maximum damage been done to reputation and coffers?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think they just try to pretend he isn't real.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Jorp thinking other people function like Jungian psychologists, I see.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
$Company is out to make money is such an old conspiracy Jorp. Get with the times grandpa.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Do you think he further embarrasses University of Toronto with each passing day or has the maximum damage been done to reputation and coffers?

I mean, Paul Bernardo... jk I know Scarberia campus doesn't count HURF DURF SNORT

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I mean, Paul Bernardo... jk I know Scarberia campus doesn't count HURF DURF SNORT

Excuse the tangent but I heard that dude is still writing raps in prison can you even imagine lol.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jordan-peterson-why-i-am-no-longer-a-tenured-professor-at-the-university-of-toronto

He "resigned" his tenure :lol:

The byline is funny as poo poo:

quote:

The appalling ideology of diversity, inclusion and equity is demolishing education and business

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Wow I wonder how they finally got him to leave. I might have to reach out to a friend there and see if I can get the deets

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The Bible expressly speaks to our own current Canadian society, through the prophet Isaiah speaking by the Spirit of God, when he announced God's judgment upon the Israelites for their apostasy: "And I will give children to be their princes, and babes shall rule over them. And the people shall be oppressed, every one by another, and every one by his neighbour: the child shall behave himself proudly against the ancient, and the base against the honourable...Woe unto the wicked! it shall be ill with him: for the reward of his hands shall be given him. As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths."

And more, Isaiah speaks to the confusion, lack of common sense, and incompetence we see throughout our society, in our universities, institutions , and governments: "Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

This has very strong "you can't fire me, I quit" energy.