Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hey man don’t bogardan that hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

gently caress yeah

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
if they reprinted hammer in the next set it would still be a windmill slam first pick

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hammer is so good that every time wotc tried to make a recurring burn spell since, they've just been lovely versions of Hammer (repeating barrage, thunderblade charge)

Reprint Hammer

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Silhouette posted:

Hammer is so good that every time wotc tried to make a recurring burn spell since, they've just been lovely versions of Hammer (repeating barrage, thunderblade charge)

Reprint Hammer
Punishing fire would dispute that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TipTow posted:

gently caress yeah

Like this guys hair, muscles are a bit dumb tho. Twinks are in now, this look is soooo 90s

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Like this guys hair, muscles are a bit dumb tho. Twinks are in now, this look is soooo 90s

The art is rad and oughta be airbrushed onto a white tshirt at a mall kiosk.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

TotalHell posted:

The art is rad and oughta be airbrushed onto a white tshirt at a mall kiosk.

Done. Lmao what is this poo poo?

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Done. Lmao what is this poo poo?

drat I was hoping more all over print anime button-up, but this is a start... :thunk:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Thank you. My LGS is running it and there’s a hella good turnout, there’s probably almost 50 people here already

wishing you and everyone else there a speedy covid recovery!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hammer is still a good card in Modern. :colbert:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

A Moose posted:

:laffo:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A Moose posted:

Thank you

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A Moose posted:

:drat:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

Hammer is still a good card you can play in Modern.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

MHiayshi is right and McMagic is wrong.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

HootTheOwl posted:

ive never played a game of modern in my life but im pretty sure spending 8 mana in a turn for a sorcery speed bolt is not what you want to be doing in modern

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Nastier Nate posted:

ive never played a game of modern in my life but im pretty sure spending 8 mana in a turn for a sorcery speed bolt is not what you want to be doing in modern

HootTheOwl posted:

MHiayshi is right and McMagicNate is wrong.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

mcmagic posted:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Nastier Nate posted:

We should just ban enough cards until it is.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

It's shockingly playable and by that I mean there is a fringe Modern deck where it makes some kind of sense, though I'm not fully convinced it's the best choice even then. In Obash red the clunkyness early is countered by using it as pitch fodder for Fury and Seasoned Pyromancer and it provides inevitability against control or with a Bridge lock.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Someone asked earlier about the budget modern league I’m running (decks had to be modern legal and under $100)

Meta breakdown is like so:

Budget league meta game breakdown:
Izzet: 5
Abzan: 4
Boros: 1
Red: 2
Azorius: 1
Naya: 1
Sultai: 1
Green: 1
Gruul: 1
Selesnya: 1
Orzhov: 2
Rakdos: 1
4color pile: 1

3 archetypes in izzet
2 archetypes in abzan
2 archetypes in orzhov

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

here's what maro has to say about people complaining about universes beyond: "shut up loser. lol"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
do you get the secret versions of mtg articles where they say they hate you specifically or something

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Incredibly powerful

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

kalel posted:

here's what maro has to say about people complaining about universes beyond: "shut up loser. lol"

Sections 2&3 under Digging Deep, being willing to experiment and defaulting to playability, it’s hard to read those and not wonder what card will push out ragavan in 5-10 years, like how delver of secrets was a strong efficient creature and is now 1-drop slots 9-12 in delver, often cutting some/all. There’s lots of design space left in magic, but at some point they’re going to be printing goblin guides that draw you a card if the opponent reveals a land.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

do you get the secret versions of mtg articles where they say they hate you specifically or something

how am I supposed to read "everyone's been calling every change to magic the death of magic since 1993, universes beyond and bOoStEr FuN are nothing different because the players will create the game they want to play, and also you have to buy certain products if you want to stay competitive so gently caress you" except as a directed attack against me specifically?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

PleasantDirge posted:

KMC never had a QC issues all they have had are "Bezos is a mercenary fuckface who doesnt care if you buy inferior bootleg poo poo off his site" and "nobody in certain countries cares about fugazis" issues.

The only problems they have had since then is supply but who hasn't in the last year?

I was referring to variations in the length of the sleeves from one pack to the next which was a widely reported and real thing that I also found to be the case and I never bought them from Bezo.

Anyway. It's not an issue now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kalel posted:

drat, he said the same thing i did. Wild

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I just didn't buy any of those cards and won't buy the new ones either :shobon:

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I'd be really curious to see how sales go on the newest Capricorn Swamp secret lair. I just can't imagine anyone paying $52 out the door for 5 unremarkable foil swamps, especially not now when full art lands are released constantly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I just didn't buy any of those cards and won't buy the new ones either :shobon:

Same

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

LeafHouse posted:

I'd be really curious to see how sales go on the newest Capricorn Swamp secret lair. I just can't imagine anyone paying $52 out the door for 5 unremarkable foil swamps, especially not now when full art lands are released constantly.

The all black and white lands are the best because sometimes I'll watch someone playing mtgo and they don't realize they have swamps

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if they want to do some real nice sets of, say, 40 copies of a special basic land for 80 bucks or whatever, I could see that being fine. but 160 for 20 very middling looking basics, lol

like I'd drop 150 for 20 of each bob ross basic, or something like that. they will never ever do that of course, but that's the sort of thing I'd jump in on if they wanted to do the "get enough basics to kit out a 60 card deck, maybe(if you put in other lands with them)!!!!" poo poo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Is this yours?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

kalel posted:

how am I supposed to read "everyone's been calling every change to magic the death of magic since 1993, universes beyond and bOoStEr FuN are nothing different because the players will create the game they want to play, and also you have to buy certain products if you want to stay competitive so gently caress you" except as a directed attack against me specifically?

Just buy singles. As always. The competitive scene has always required serious competitive player to buy new cards, it's really nothing new.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Mezzanon posted:

Someone asked earlier about the budget modern league I’m running (decks had to be modern legal and under $100)

Meta breakdown is like so:

Budget league meta game breakdown:
Izzet: 5
Abzan: 4
Boros: 1
Red: 2
Azorius: 1
Naya: 1
Sultai: 1
Green: 1
Gruul: 1
Selesnya: 1
Orzhov: 2
Rakdos: 1
4color pile: 1

3 archetypes in izzet
2 archetypes in abzan
2 archetypes in orzhov

this sounds like it would be a blast to play in. this is my kind of jam

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Somehow I missed out that Double Feature is going to be priced as a premium product. So the black and white art is done lazily, instead of being a curated card list it's just two sets mashed together, and priced like MH2.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

neaden posted:

Somehow I missed out that Double Feature is going to be priced as a premium product. So the black and white art is done lazily, instead of being a curated card list it's just two sets mashed together, and priced like MH2.

I know "MTG is dead" is a meme, but the cashgrabs have been getting more and more obvious in the last two years and at some point something's got to give. But who am I kidding, this set too will fly off the shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What crashed to comic market? I feel it's the same thing, so many more exclusive and alt coversarts to snag as many whales as they can but then it all comes crashing down.