Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Wang Commander posted:

I certainly believe that some humans will be able to survive in a hosed hot-rear end world without wild mammals, and that getting rid of covid will help them do so.

Will the kill on sight doctrine persist into the apocalyptic future? Because I am fairly certain we won't finish off the mice population by then.
While we make outrageous theories on how to prevent covid forever at all costs, why don't we also just find and eliminate all causes of global warming?

But truth to be told, I kind of want to read a post apocalyptic story, where humanity has a deep hatred and fear of all animals and spends countless resources on fighting them. Why are they doing this? It's been a thing for generations, the reasoning may be forgotten, but stopping would mean failure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
One thing we definitely can (and should) feasibly do is invest a ton in monitoring bat and other wild animals for viruses that could potentially hop to humans. That way we can anticipate and better prepare for future pandemics, because COVID-19 ain't gonna be the last.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

A big flaming stink posted:

"Don't worry, it only kills people [like you/not like you]!"

It turns out being told it's good news that it only kills people similar to the listener will provoke outrage in that listener, regardless of the absolute numbers affected.

Like seriously, replace "4 comorbidities" with any other minority group and you might realize why people were pissed

You didn't answer the question. Is it good or bad news that otherwise healthy people are not being killed at the same rate as people with 4+ comorbidities?

Like, I understand what you're saying, but I don't get it. If she had been standing in front of Diabetics United and said "The good news is you're all dying at a much higher rate than us normals." You might have a point. What she actually said was that the good news is that a large section of society is not dying at a rate similar to a section of society we would fully expect to be subject to more severe outcomes based on their health. Because if that was the case it would really bad news for everyone regardless of their health status.

Watching people claim she's some kind of Mengele-esque sociopath who want to purify America rather than someone who could possibly have phrased something a bit better is weird and not much different from scouring clips of Bill Gates on youtube to find something where it seems like he says he wants to depopulate the world.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Illuminti posted:

Watching people claim she's some kind of Mengele-esque sociopath who want to purify America rather than someone who could possibly have phrased something a bit better is weird and not much different from scouring clips of Bill Gates on youtube to find something where it seems like he says he wants to depopulate the world.

I mean you'd definitely say "it is good that the outgroup is dying" to the ingroup if you were Mengele

edit: "many Germans are dying on the Eastern Front, but far more Russians. this is encouraging re: the war, let's keep going"

Wang Commander fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 17, 2022

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Wang Commander posted:

I mean you'd definitely say "it is good that the outgroup is dying" to the ingroup if you were Mengele

I suppose. But no one said that that so it's kind of moot

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fritz the Horse posted:

One thing we definitely can (and should) feasibly do is invest a ton in monitoring bat and other wild animals for viruses that could potentially hop to humans. That way we can anticipate and better prepare for future pandemics, because COVID-19 ain't gonna be the last.

we definitely were already regularly surveying bats in that region. we even have data showing nearby residents have all sorts of coronavirus antibodies. i remember reading a thing about this like. gently caress me almost two years ago

it doesn’t always matter tho

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
We could just kill all those drat bats and stop raising poultry and swine and be 90% of the way there I bet.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Fritz the Horse posted:

That’s what they were doing at that Wuhan virus lab and look how that turned out.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Fritz the Horse posted:

It's in deer, I don't think that's a particularly workable solution.

I linked a while back that some states vaccinate raccoons and such for rabies using bait (fish flavored/scented for example) and an oral vaccine. The challenge there is apparently it's hard to bait herbivores.

edit: some quick googling gives a wild deer population in the US of about 25 million animals, and the range of white-tailed deer (as one example) is extensive:

So you're talking about exterminating many tens of millions of animals over a very large range.

White tails are kind of overpopulated right now, culling them and reintroducing wolves to control their population would probably be a good thing.

And alberta was able to get rid of rats, so doing a real dent in our municipal murine populations is indeed possible.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

StratGoatCom posted:

White tails are kind of overpopulated right now, culling them and reintroducing wolves to control their population would probably be a good thing.

And alberta was able to get rid of rats, so doing a real dent in our municipal murine populations is indeed possible.

I assume it should be a native species; gray wolves? Is there much tradeoff to worry about when it comes to selecting an apex predator when you're trying to rebuild an ecosystem?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fuschia tude posted:

I assume it should be a native species; gray wolves? Is there much tradeoff to worry about when it comes to selecting an apex predator when you're trying to rebuild an ecosystem?

They're better suited to the climate and will have resistances to local diseases. So, unfortunately, yes there is good reason to reintroduce Wolves instead of introducing lions to the American wilderness.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

While Wang Commander's recommendation is a touch overboard, reducing the population of both those vectors, so as to both reduce human contact and make it harder for them to spread it to each other is a good idea.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

They're better suited to the climate and will have resistances to local diseases. So, unfortunately, yes there is good reason to reintroduce Wolves instead of introducing lions to the American wilderness.

Mountain lions are suitable, though.

Also apparently bald eagles have been known to capture fawns. :stare:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Smeef posted:

In that case it would come down to which consumes more deer. Wolves are famously pack hunters whereas mountain lions are solitary hunters. I'd assume a pack of Wolves requires more calories than a single mountain lion.
But wolves have extremely large territories, so maybe you end up with more lions per square mile because they're ranges are smaller?

You'd have to do some research to figure out the better pick.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I favor wolves not least, from a quick check, they have a much lower rate of attacks on humans then cougars.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

StratGoatCom posted:

I favor wolves not least, from a quick check, they have a much lower rate of attacks on humans then cougars.

That surprises me. I'd have guessed a pack of wolves would be way more dangerous to people than a solitary cougar.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Smeef posted:

That surprises me. I'd have guessed a pack of wolves would be way more dangerous to people than a solitary cougar.

Nah, wolves are more skittish around humans and are pack hunters you'll know are coming.
Cougars are going to attack you when you don't even know they are there. Ambush hunters.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Smeef posted:

not too surprising honestly, fawns weigh like nothing. there’s a picture of 9yo me holding a fawn that momma deer left behind when the harvester was going through the field.

she came back later and got him tho don’t worry 🥰

quote="sheri" post="520768731"]
Nah, wolves are more skittish around humans and are pack hunters you'll know are coming.
Cougars are going to attack you when you don't even know they are there. Ambush hunters.
[/quote]

wear eyes on the back of your head!!

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

sheri posted:

Was hiking in California years ago and was just taking a break sitting on a rock and drinking some water. I was just staring blankly into the middle distance but then my eyes focused up and I realised I was staring at a mountain lion and it was just staring back at me. Far enough away not to cause an immediate panic, but I was definitely checking over my shoulder very regularly for the rest of the day!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
This business about eradicating the virus by eliminating all deer and mice has to be one of the most ridiculously fantastical bits I've read in D&D and frankly a very poor use of public health resources in terms of reducing human suffering/premature death compared to stuff like aggressively going after Malaria and other tropical diseases. It does have a certain appeal though and it's fun to imagine a world where people go all in to eliminate diseases. I'm picturing millions of people fastidiously combing through the world's forests hunting down every tick and mosquito breeding spot.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

MixMasterMalaria posted:

This business about eradicating the virus by eliminating all deer and mice has to be one of the most ridiculously fantastical bits I've read in D&D and frankly a very poor use of public health resources in terms of reducing human suffering/premature death compared to stuff like aggressively going after Malaria and other tropical diseases. It does have a certain appeal though and it's fun to imagine a world where people go all in to eliminate diseases. I'm picturing millions of people fastidiously combing through the world's forests hunting down every tick and mosquito breeding spot.

I think mostly it's a fun tangent.

But gently caress ticks and mosquitos. And we should be driving mosquitos to extinctions given that they don't even play an important role in food chains.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Smeef posted:

I think mostly it's a fun tangent.

But gently caress ticks and mosquitos. And we should be driving mosquitos to extinctions given that they don't even play an important role in food chains.

Mosquitoes are probably humanity's greatest enemy (besides ourselves I guess) and really loving annoying. Ticks suck too and are probably even less important to the food chain. Their elimination would be a great kindness to many other animals.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MixMasterMalaria posted:

There are actually proposals to eliminate certain species of mosquito by introducing modified breeders that would drop the birth rate below replacement level, specifically to eliminate malaria. I think nobody has followed up on them because it’s extremely dangerous to remove entire species from the environment.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think nobody has followed up on them because it’s extremely dangerous to remove entire species from the environment.

That's never stopped anyone before. Source: the last 200,000 years of human evolution.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I AM GRANDO posted:

There are actually proposals to eliminate certain species of mosquito by introducing modified breeders that would drop the birth rate below replacement level, specifically to eliminate malaria. I think nobody has followed up on them because it’s extremely dangerous to remove entire species from the environment.

There’s a few proposals along those lines. I think someone developed a daughterless mosquito that will eventually breed the species into extinction, from memory it involves that wolbachia bacteria. That species of mosquito could then be replaced by something that doesn’t transmit malaria.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What if the wolves also get covid

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

haveblue posted:

What if the wolves also get covid

We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on wolf meat

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Okay wow, I step away for a day, and people are soberly suggesting exterminating deer?

Given the number of wild species that have so far caught some variation of covid, from deer to mice to big cats to naturally bats and pangolins, this seems like a particularly weird and absurd idea?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If we aren't capable of containing a virus we probably aren't capable of exterminating an entire species from the continent

Like we tried this before with squirrels and got owned and humiliated and that was back when the government was able to respond to things and act

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Since we're talking deer and wolves and ecology I'm gonna plug Aldo Leopold's Thinking Like A Mountain which is a fantastic short essay. Leopold's Sand County Almanac is foundational to the modern environmental/conservation movement and everyone should read it.

https://www.sierraclub.org/sites/ww...o%20Leopold.pdf

closing paragraphs:

quote:

Since then I have lived to see state after state extirpate its wolves. I have watched the face of many a newly wolfless mountain, and seen the southfacing slopes wrinkle with a maze of new deer trails. I have seen every edible bush and seedling browsed, first to anaemic desuetude, and then to death. I have seen every edible tree defoliated to the height of a saddlehorn. Such a mountain looks as if someone had given God a new pruning shears, and forbidden Him all other exercise. In the end the starved bones of the hoped-for deer herd, dead of its own too-much, bleach with the bones of the dead sage, or molder under the high-lined junipers.

I now suspect that just as a deer herd lives in mortal fear of its wolves, so does a mountain live in mortal fear of its deer. And perhaps with better cause, for while a buck pulled down by wolves can be replaced in two or three years, a range pulled down by too many deer may fail of replacement in as many decades. So also with cows. The cowman who cleans his range of wolves does not realize that he is taking over the wolf's job of trimming the herd to fit the range. He has not learned to think like a mountain. Hence we have dustbowls, and rivers washing the future into the sea.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Okay wow, I step away for a day, and people are soberly suggesting exterminating deer?

I unpinned this thread but it's precisely this kind of dead serious lunacy that keeps me coming back. You almost have to admire it

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Go home thread, you're drunk.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Internet Explorer posted:

Hello, welcome to the new D&D under Koos Group's leadership. The main dictate is to make quality arguments and support them.

I would invite you to support your claim that the thread is drunk.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

This is slander, we are actually insanely high

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Epic High Five posted:

This is slander, we are actually insanely high

Or maybe both!

Also, reducing deer populations would hopefully also help reduce some tick exposures. gently caress ticks.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Or maybe both!

Also, reducing deer populations would hopefully also help reduce some tick exposures. gently caress ticks.

I'm pretty sure this would require culling the populations of dry grass which is even more impossible than deer, alas

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
dont you dare fuckin touch my dry grass

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 17, 2022

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Lets eliminate the deer fuckers instead, idk.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
FYI — if you need a PCR test for some reason, Amazon (the company) is now selling the platform it uses for its workers for $40. You buy the pack and then, when you need to use it, you drop it in the mail with the included prepaid next-day shipping and get results back within 24 hrs of arriving.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08ZR5XNBM/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_1JPT1D15A0TA95SSPM2Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&sa-no-redirect=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

mediaphage posted:

wear eyes on the back of your head!!

If I remember correctly, wearing masks on the back of your head was a thing in India briefly to deter tigers.

Eventually, the tigers caught on and just attacked from the side.

EDIT: https://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/05/science/face-masks-fool-the-bengal-tigers.html