Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'd enjoy seeing more Tim Key, his blend of manic enthusiasm and bare-faced cheating was wonderful, and he was usually good at finding an unusual way to attempt tasks too. Maybe not quite top 5 but definitely up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, if you did an All Star season you'd need both James and Rhod. And they'd be the two person team for team tasks.

Acaster was on Rhod and his wife Sian's show "The Froth" and talked about their butting heads. Worth a watch/listen for TM fans, and sorry I can't embed because I'm mobile

https://youtu.be/QCkfa9ygKNU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

kazmeyer posted:

There's so many great shows that come out of just jamming a bunch of British comedians together and filming the results. 9 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, the Big Fat Quiz of the Year, and Would I Lie To You are other dear, dear favorites of mine.

Highlights you can look for on Youtube:
Countdown, carrot in a box game or pretty much any best-of involving Sean Locke or Joe Wilkinson
Big Fat Quiz, Mr Blobby, "bad dong," Richard Ayoade's mental breakdown
WILTY anything involving Brian Blessed or Rhod Gilbert or frankly any bit where Lee Mack is trying to defend a lie

(There's acres more, these are just my personal favorites.)

Yeah I've watched a ton of all of these but Taskmaster is still my favorite by a mile.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

sebzilla posted:

I'd enjoy seeing more Tim Key, his blend of manic enthusiasm and bare-faced cheating was wonderful, and he was usually good at finding an unusual way to attempt tasks too. Maybe not quite top 5 but definitely up there.

Tim Key knows too much about the show and comes up with most of the tasks anyway, it'd be fun for a one off episode but not a full series.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I've watched a ton of all of these but Taskmaster is still my favorite by a mile.

Yeah, there's something special about Taskmaster. Watching comedians apply their wit (or lack thereof sometimes) to a "thinking-outside-the-box" kind of puzzle just results in gold more often than not. And Greg Davies does imperious and capricious in equal measure SO well. Alex was a goddamn genius putting that show together.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, if you did an All Star season you'd need both James and Rhod. And they'd be the two person team for team tasks.

A special where its James and Rhod VS Ed and David

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Kongen Befaler content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxsO0JCao1c

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

kazmeyer posted:

Yeah, there's something special about Taskmaster. Watching comedians apply their wit (or lack thereof sometimes) to a "thinking-outside-the-box" kind of puzzle just results in gold more often than not. And Greg Davies does imperious and capricious in equal measure SO well. Alex was a goddamn genius putting that show together.

I think a big advantage TM has over panel shows is the extended format as well, where you get to build a sense of familiarity with the cast over the season instead of everything being a one-off. It has a way of stripping away the TV personas people have cultivated for themselves due to the fact that it's hard to maintain the façade for that long, on top of the constant embarrassment from seeing how they've performed the tasks.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Dragonstoned posted:

A special where its James and Rhod VS Ed and David

This would be great, but I don't think you could ever get Rhod back; he's gone on record saying he hated doing the show because of his anxiety disorder. He liked the studio portions, but the tasks were a nightmare, and apparently that thing he does where he spends the first couple minutes of the task standing there with his eyes closed is him trying not to have panic attacks.

He's said he agreed to do it because his friend Greg asked him, but he regrets not looking more into what was involved. It's a shame because he's nevertheless one of my all-time favorite competitors.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Leatherhead posted:

This would be great, but I don't think you could ever get Rhod back; he's gone on record saying he hated doing the show because of his anxiety disorder. He liked the studio portions, but the tasks were a nightmare, and apparently that thing he does where he spends the first couple minutes of the task standing there with his eyes closed is him trying not to have panic attacks.

He's said he agreed to do it because his friend Greg asked him, but he regrets not looking more into what was involved. It's a shame because he's nevertheless one of my all-time favorite competitors.

That's interesting. Did he say that on a RHLSTP or a proper interview?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

stev posted:

That's interesting. Did he say that on a RHLSTP or a proper interview?

I don't remember where exactly I read about it but here's one instance:
https://www.chortle.co.uk/interviews/2018/08/27/41107/alex_horne_got_gagged_with_an_egg_in_his_mouth_but_they_werent_allowed_to_show_it

His social anxiety is pretty well known; he had a whole documentary about it called 'Standing up to Shyness'.

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 7, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Okay I just found a youtube channel with Kongen Befaler English subtitled. It's no TMNZ, but it's pretty drat good.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

As the risk of :filez:, the subreddit r/panelshow is a great source for all the TM variants. The youtube versions you found are probably using the english subtitles from there.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Okay I have a question as a dumb American that's been bugging me since I started watching TM last year. To my ear, Greg pronounces his last name "Davis" (day-viss as it sounds in my American accent) but obviously it's spelled "Davies" and I would by default pronounce it "day-vees" if I were to read it aloud. When others on the show or other talk shows say it, it seems some say it his way and others say it my way. Is it just an accent or regional thing, or should it actually be pronounced "day-viss" regardless of accent? If it's the latter, in the UK do all people with that last name pronounce it that way?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's a Welsh thing.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Ok thanks. I know it's dumb but it was nagging me every time someone said his name lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i watch QI fairly regularly and im still not entirely sure if alan davies pronounces it "davis" or "dave-ease"

nice to see him pop up again in the new year's treat

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a twitter thread going around of Chiles and I'm realising he was always going to be great on Taskmaster

https://twitter.com/GrahamStarr/status/1479513882607636487

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm binging the first seasons of the UK Taskmaster (which, because of how UK telly works, have taken me an hour) and Rob Beckett just seems...wrong. Like an off brand muppet voiced by someone with plugs in their ears who only have a vague understanding about what language is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Alhazred posted:

I'm binging the first seasons of the UK Taskmaster (which, because of how UK telly works, have taken me an hour) and Rob Beckett just seems...wrong. Like an off brand muppet voiced by someone with plugs in their ears who only have a vague understanding about what language is.

Yeah he's exactly that. No one understands what he's for.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I've been watching old Taskmaster a lot because over the next few weeks I'm filming my own (wish me luck!) and so youtube has been throwing me recommendations of outtakes. I had never seen this one, and I love everything about it so much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEfYIiK6ePY

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

I've been watching old Taskmaster a lot because over the next few weeks I'm filming my own (wish me luck!) and so youtube has been throwing me recommendations of outtakes. I had never seen this one, and I love everything about it so much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEfYIiK6ePY

I love how uncomfortable Alex is with this.

I don't know if y'all have seen it but this is Taskmaster-adjacent and a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeQXreI76q0

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taskmaster tangential but I just listened to Victoria Corren Mitchell absolutely break James Acaster on Off Menu and that was a joy.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Taskmaster tangential but I just listened to Victoria Corren Mitchell absolutely break James Acaster on Off Menu and that was a joy.

Victoria's explanation about how she'd always bring sandwiches in her purse to any dinner party (so she can sneak off to the bathroom and eat them if she hates the food) basically explains her entire taskmaster appearance

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Ha! I just re-listened to the Victoria Off Menu episode, and yeah, it's a good-un.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what kind of sandwich, her choice either damns her or continues my neutral stance on her.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve watched this three times now and I’m cry laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWAlE8CfQnQ

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

eke out posted:

Victoria's explanation about how she'd always bring sandwiches in her purse to any dinner party (so she can sneak off to the bathroom and eat them if she hates the food) basically explains her entire taskmaster appearance

Yeah I think if I had listened to this first literally nothing she did on the show would've surprised me in the least. Gamble and Acaster seem to have developed the most direct way to get at a person's soul by asking them about food.

Oh gently caress now I need to see if there's a Rhod Gilbert episode.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
In the Taskmaster podcast it was implied that champion of champions airs the week after next week.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/davechannel/status/1182272065040027648

https://twitter.com/davechannel/status/1047869256027820033

They should release extended editions of the episodes that just have all the outtakes in.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 15, 2022

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's a fun one that's just Rhod and Greg talking about when they were living in Edinburgh during the Fringe. Part of it makes it in to the episode, but the extended one has a great part with the story where Greg breaks Rhod's Mac with a potato gun.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

DrVenkman posted:

There's a fun one that's just Rhod and Greg talking about when they were living in Edinburgh during the Fringe. Part of it makes it in to the episode, but the extended one has a great part with the story where Greg breaks Rhod's Mac with a potato gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AneIpeqozM

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Been catching up on the NZ Taskmaster, bit of a rough start over the first few episodes of S1 as everyone figures things out but once they get it straight it's a really good version. Leigh had to grow on me the most but the combination of supreme confidence and consistently failing to understand the tasks is a winner. Just not in terms of scoring. And I don't think anyone's ever quite set the tone like Angella in the very first prize task.

David's gonna be season 2's MVP isn't he

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
David is probably the global best contestant

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love that David only exists at 0 - happy, fine or 100 - mind-blowingly angry. There’s no dial between the two, it’s just a two position switch.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'm slightly concerned that they still haven't confirmed a NZ series 3.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Apparently he served as a kind of task tester for season 1. There's a few hours of potentially great footage lost to the production process.

e: the way the brussel sprout task played out was amazing.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

My Lovely Horse posted:

Been catching up on the NZ Taskmaster, bit of a rough start over the first few episodes of S1 as everyone figures things out but once they get it straight it's a really good version. Leigh had to grow on me the most but the combination of supreme confidence and consistently failing to understand the tasks is a winner. Just not in terms of scoring.
While not essential, it's good fun to have a look at this and a related clip or two, and get the perspective of a Kiwi familiar with the previous work of Leigh Hart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ceC7ERsLc

You can certainly see echoes of this in his S1 solves.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heavy_D posted:

While not essential, it's good fun to have a look at this and a related clip or two, and get the perspective of a Kiwi familiar with the previous work of Leigh Hart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ceC7ERsLc

You can certainly see echoes of this in his S1 solves.

I can see the inspiration behind HowToBasic now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

My Lovely Horse posted:

David's gonna be season 2's MVP isn't he

The best commentary on him was on a reddit thread discussing "who would be the best 5 players for an all-stars season?" and someone responded with five Davids Correos.