Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Aren't they making crazy money selling streaming rights or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the BBC is good with most of the stuff which isn’t politics, such as childrens and the arts, but i guess this reputation laundering makes it easier to sneak pro government stories to the general public

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yeah the bbc are great with... children

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I enjoy BBC radio, every episode they have some condescending story about the weird culture and funny people in location X and how backwards they all are and I feel like I'm there in the British museum being lectured to.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
That graphic that shows all of the different BBC channels, and you realise that the vast majority of it is trash.

If it's a public service broadcaster, it should be funded like all other public services, income tax being put out to tender and the contract awarded to a personal friend of the minister who is a conservative party donor.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ultimately, if you’re going to sell off the NHS you’re going to have to sell off the BBC first

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
it's weird how the media will do anything in their power to support white supremacy and regressive policy and yet the conservatives will inevitably fail to recognize that they're being propped up by them and kill their funding and label them as enemies of the public

maybe there could be a lesson to be learned here but i guess the murdochs et all will make it out fine

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jel Shaker posted:

the BBC is good with most of the stuff which isn’t politics, such as childrens and the arts, but i guess this reputation laundering makes it easier to sneak pro government stories to the general public

It's soft power projection for the British ruling class though because it is so linked to 'neutral' arts and entertainment. However Peppa Pig caused american children to develop British pronounciation and learn about universal healthcare so who is to say whether it's bad or good.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

namesake posted:

It's soft power projection for the British ruling class though because it is so linked to 'neutral' arts and entertainment. However Peppa Pig caused american children to develop British pronounciation and learn about universal healthcare so who is to say whether it's bad or good.
America used to be all about tea, and Britain about coffee, but then you had your little spat and switched it around. From this we can conclude that you're gonna swap pronunciation and healthcare systems in the coming years.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
World Service is actually good for news coverage, well researched, dry and factual bulletins on goings on in Africa/Mid East/Asia. The difference between the world service output and domestic BBC News is vast.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

World Service is actually good for news coverage, well researched, dry and factual bulletins on goings on in Africa/Mid East/Asia. The difference between the world service output and domestic BBC News is vast.

I would catch their 2019 election coverage when I'd get out late from work cos it would be dawn in the UK very anti-Corbyn almost hilariously so and they had recently the same commentators say how important it was for Keith to be seen mingling with Pro Business Australian Labor, an out of government party

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

namesake posted:

also china banned their democracy voting episode so maybe peppa pig will lead the revolution

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jel Shaker posted:

also china banned their democracy voting episode so maybe peppa pig will lead the revolution

and australia banned the episode about being nice to spiders

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the security services loving love the world service because its a great place to employ spies

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

it literally has a separate charter from the regular bbc and was designed from start for the security services to promote british values

the irony is that they are much more careful in managing it despite that

e: or perhaps because of it

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Jan 16, 2022

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Jel Shaker posted:

it's inaccurate to the reality of democracy in China, and could cause confusion if someone miscast their vote in a Party Plenum

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Private Speech posted:

it literally has a separate charter from the regular bbc and was designed from start for the security services to promote british values

the irony is that they are much more careful in managing it despite that

e: or perhaps because of it

not so much it hasn't fallen prey to everything else at the BBC as a result of the tories since cameron got in

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Nonsense posted:

I would catch their 2019 election coverage when I'd get out late from work cos it would be dawn in the UK very anti-Corbyn almost hilariously so and they had recently the same commentators say how important it was for Keith to be seen mingling with Pro Business Australian Labor, an out of government party

I was one of those people who used to defend the BBC as being more or less impartial lol. I was genuinely shocked at how they never treated Corbyn and McDonnell as legitimite politicians and always interviewed their supporters as if they were some weird alien tribe and they couldn't quite believe what they were hearing: "What, so you genuinely support... nationalisation??".

I stopped paying my licence fee over it and I've never missed it, or their clubby insider news 'coverage'.

Cthulwho
Aug 31, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

I was one of those people who used to defend the BBC as being more or less impartial lol. I was genuinely shocked at how they never treated Corbyn and McDonnell as legitimite politicians and always interviewed their supporters as if they were some weird alien tribe and they couldn't quite believe what they were hearing: "What, so you genuinely support... nationalisation??".

I stopped paying my licence fee over it and I've never missed it, or their clubby insider news 'coverage'.

The newsnight photoshop drama and the stooges in the question time audience asking if he was going to nationalise sausage rolls were the final straw re: any suggestion that its a credible outfit for me.

E: was it also the beeb that played clips of someone at the cenotaph but in the wrong year 'accidentally?'

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Cthulwho posted:

The newsnight photoshop drama and the stooges in the question time audience asking if he was going to nationalise sausage rolls were the final straw re: any suggestion that its a credible outfit for me.

E: was it also the beeb that played clips of someone at the cenotaph but in the wrong year 'accidentally?'

Yes that was them and it was Boris Johnson in 2019 who looked like poo poo and did some part of the procedure wrong so they played the clip of him doing it from a previous year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

The license fee has been an obvious anachronism for years now. If the BBC's so loving good, switch it to a subscription model and see how many people care enough to actually pay for access imo.

Lol loving SEE HOW IT SURVIVES IN THE FREE MARKET is such a dumb line. How it'll survive is by just doing worse, dumber & cheaper content.

It is absolutely funny that all the libs are crying because their chickens have come home to roost but the alternative is going to be worse. It's free market intrusion to the Beeb in the 80s & 90s that went some way to destroying the ability of the BBC to create actually informative documentaries other than fronted by Attenborough or Cox, or genuinely excellent thoughtful working class dramas like Days of Hope or Up The Junction or the fantastic Fall of Eagles (with Patrick Stewart as Lenin). Even the comedy output is loving lacking in ambition or creativity or even laughs most of the time.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
lets face it, it's been dire since they stopped using the gunge tanks.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Boris thought covid was fake in 2020 to the point he went around hospitals shaking hands and ended up in icu. are people surprised he would hold a christmas party?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

forkboy84 posted:

Lol loving SEE HOW IT SURVIVES IN THE FREE MARKET is such a dumb line. How it'll survive is by just doing worse, dumber & cheaper content.

It is absolutely funny that all the libs are crying because their chickens have come home to roost but the alternative is going to be worse. It's free market intrusion to the Beeb in the 80s & 90s that went some way to destroying the ability of the BBC to create actually informative documentaries other than fronted by Attenborough or Cox, or genuinely excellent thoughtful working class dramas like Days of Hope or Up The Junction or the fantastic Fall of Eagles (with Patrick Stewart as Lenin). Even the comedy output is loving lacking in ambition or creativity or even laughs most of the time.

lets face it, it's been dire since they stopped using the gunge tanks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

and australia banned the episode about being nice to spiders

that seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do in a country infested with venomous spiders

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Pistol_Pete posted:

The license fee has been an obvious anachronism for years now. If the BBC's so loving good, switch it to a subscription model and see how many people care enough to actually pay for access imo.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1482622722228240387?s=20

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
If they do send him to the tower, they should shackle him.
By Prince Albert shackled to a Raven beak.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

three tories?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/EuanYours/status/1482693896069079045?t=jdSvo6Zzp5luSK28F4qUvg&s=19

sums up my view succinctly

additionally https://twitter.com/StefGotBooted/status/1482689857747050499?t=wqe8n97U48dvkVOpP__2pw&s=19

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Venomous posted:

sums up my view succinctly

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

it’s time for Lenin to be a meme

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Cox blocked me on twitter ages ago lol

I think there is a serious chance we end up with prime minister dorries now entirely off the horny Tory vote

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How is this the first time I've seen this

https://twitter.com/SteveNickSmith/status/771840984388894720?t=SnP507dB_WdQ2UzVFwOMRQ&s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Agitate4Change/status/1482874095305908228?t=xitZzXNaoMRy3K6s0cCBlw&s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This whole Twitter thread is insane

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1482796850583330819?t=0b8088x1cZe2FD68zH9DqA&s=19
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1482799996122578946?t=ZPrx3a-pejoaKAY6Q1CPIA&s=19

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Absolute party animal

https://twitter.com/mirrorpolitics/status/1482834541010108418

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so boris is here until christmas 2024, right

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Got a chuckle from me
https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/s5jrc2/my_10_downing_street_mocwith_party_lights/

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Jesus, this is a mess.

Right-wing twitter seems to be blowing up with #BackBoris. I don't know if it's some astro-truf poo poo or not. It also seems that the BBC has pissed off the brexiteers by not being pro-tory enough. The only people supporting the BBC seem to be lib-dem types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do in a country infested with venomous spiders

That's the joke, yes