Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Here's a short article about the accents in The Death of Stalin: https://screenrant.com/death-stalin-movie-characters-different-accents-not-russian-reason/

tl;dr - there are two points
1) they wanted everybody to use an accent they were comfortable with, to make the performances seem natural and let the actors focus on comedic performance
2) the multitude of accents (where indeed each principal actor spoke a different variant of English) helped to establish the great heterogeneousness of the Soviet elites in the time period, though it's probably not intended to make comments on particular accents (i.e. Georgiean = hick), they just rolled with the accents the actors settled into naturally, as mentioned above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grouchio posted:

When watching The Death of Stalin I noticed that Uncle Joe had a cockney accent to represent the thick georgian accent he carried throughout his life. (everyone spoke british english in the film)

So what does Russian with a Georgian accent sound like to an english speaker? How does it differ?

I don't think that's why he had a cockney accent. I think he had that because all the actors in that movie used their native English accents as far as I'm aware. Stalin's actor was born in 1947 in London, it's a fair guess that's just the actor's accent. Honestly that's one of my small criticisms of the film. Stalin should have spoken English with some foreign accent. Cast some non-English actor with an accent, it's just a bit part in the movie anyway and it would have been a nice nod IMO, also a contrast to Beria who I'm pretty sure was noted as speaking Russian without a hint of a Georgian accent.

Dreissi posted:

I can’t exactly remember Beria’s accent…

The actor is Simon Russel Beale, and to harp on the same point, that's just his accent. I've heard him read an audio book actually and that's just his normal accent (not that it's particularly remarkable).

Again, I don't really think the accents were chosen to "match the character" they cast the actors and they spoke with their accents to make it more natural, hell it's kind of distracting that Olga Kurylenko (playing the pianist, who was a Russian Jew) has a noticeable Ukrainian accent (or whatever it is she has as "French-Ukrainian").

e: And Molotov was just Michael Palin speaking like Michael Palin.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 16, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Dreissi posted:

I may be going crazy, but I’m pretty sure the accents weren’t just British. At least Molotov and Khrushchev had American accents I think?

I can’t exactly remember Beria’s accent…

Yeah Buscemi and Tambor are American so speak like Americans. Buscemi keeping his NYCish flavor and everything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Randarkman posted:

e: And Molotov was just Michael Palin speaking like Michael Palin.

And he was wonderful.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

More troops moving into the Ukrainian border. Uptick in troops at the north end of Russias Ukrainian border 600KM from Kiev.

They were seen gathering at railways, which is still the Russian preferred method of troop transport

Is there an English news source for this? All the big news sites I check haven't posted any updates today.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I watched Death of Stalin dubbed in Russian and they mostly used historical accents, even for Russian characters, which was a great touch. Except for Khrushchev, for whom, I think, they got the VA who always does Buscemi, so he sounded just like Buscemi in Russian.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Paladinus posted:

I watched Death of Stalin dubbed in Russian and they mostly used historical accents, even for Russian characters, which was a great touch. Except for Khrushchev, for whom, I think, they got the VA who always does Buscemi, so he sounded just like Buscemi in Russian.

I've heard that, and I think they gave Stalin a Georgian accent as well (which I think has basically been the standard for casting/voicing Stalin for decades in any case) IIRC. Also nice to see that they didn't do the usual approach to dubbing movies of just turning the volume down and have some dude read the script.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Worlds longest loving invasion prep

I think we just have unprecedented ability to watch a normal serious invasion preparation due to current OSINT capabilities + social media

Russia can't control stuff like this leaking so instead it might be weaponized as psychological warfare

https://mobile.twitter.com/theragex/status/1482786862527926276

Thousands of people are going to die because a bunch of military-security grandpas never resolved their historical inferiority complexes related to WW2 and the collapse of the Soviet Union and need to make Russia big on the map instead of making it a rich prosperous country

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Listen, the important thing is that there aren't going to be any more color revolutions in Ukraine, because we know color revolutions are the real problem in the world today

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This constant moving troops to and from the border makes me think Russians are doing the classic caracole maneuver against Ukraine, except they're not firing their shots.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nenonen posted:

This constant moving troops to and from the border makes me think Russians are doing the classic caracole maneuver against Ukraine, except they're not firing their shots.

I think your rights there's a timeline that this goes down that ends up being "Russian speaking provinces rejoin the federation" as a prevention of a war in Europe. It's the classic American "Ukraines still exists in name therefore mission accomplished"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like the last time I have seen something like this was before the US attack on Iraq. Sans the media attention and the largest protest since the 60s back then

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nenonen posted:

This is exactly what they’re doing and have been doing for the past few months. There’s a bit more to setting up a military operation.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Cugel the Clever posted:

idk, calling destructive malware a "cyber attack" seems pretty alarmist.

We didn't know the details. If it was simply a ddos attack or defacing a website I would still say its alarmist.

Mokotow posted:

This is exactly what they’re doing and have been doing for the past few months. There’s a bit more to setting up a military operation.

Keep in mind, while they have moved a lot of equipment, there are just now signs of moving personnel. Personnel is much more time sensitive than equipment, and their movement is indicative of something coming sooner if at all.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FishBulbia posted:

We didn't know the details. If it was simply a ddos attack or defacing a website I would still say its alarmist.

Keep in mind, while they have moved a lot of equipment, there are just now signs of moving personnel. Personnel is much more time sensitive than equipment, and their movement is indicative of something coming sooner if at all.

There's been signs of troop movement the entire time. There's over 100,000 troops on the border with combined arms divisions meant for creating break throughs and encirclements.

"Just now" troop movements is silly. These are reservists moving along rail lines and supply lines built months ago.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Somaen posted:

I think we just have unprecedented ability to watch a normal serious invasion preparation due to current OSINT capabilities + social media

We can even try to guess the day just from weather reports: CSTO withdrawal from Kazakhstan completes on the 19th, and the 23rd and 25th will be subzero with no precipitation.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

There's been signs of troop movement the entire time. There's over 100,000 troops on the border with combined arms divisions meant for creating break throughs and encirclements.

"Just now" troop movements is silly. These are reservists moving along rail lines and supply lines built months ago.

The BTGs moving were not actually "manned." The equipment moved and the personnel stayed in garrison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwrzophpNJA&t=961s

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 17, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

FishBulbia posted:

Coming at a time of extremely high tensions and turning out to be cover for a broader, more impactful attacks, not calling the defacing of government websites with messages threatening the population a "cyber attack" is Pollyanaish at best, or deliberately spreading FUD, at worst.

"Welp, the Klan is burning a giant cross on a hill over the black neighborhood in town after weeks of threatening a pogrom, but we've not heard that anyone's died yet. Stop being so alarmist!"

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 17, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

100,000 Russian soldiers are simply taking a sightseeing tour to Kiev and carrying weapons only for personal self defense. To say otherwise is alarmist

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

100,000 Luhansk popular mobilization forces are simply taking a sightseeing tour to Kiev and carrying weapons only for personal self defense. To say otherwise is alarmist

** Ftfy. They are liberating their country!! , Новороссия has risen!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 17, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Cugel the Clever posted:

Coming at a time of extremely high tensions and turning out to be cover for a broader, more impactful attacks, not calling the defacing of government websites with messages threatening the population a "cyber attack" is Pollyanaish at best, or deliberately spreading FUD, at worst.

"Welp, the Klan is burning a giant cross on a hill over the black neighborhood in town after weeks of threatening a pogrom, but we've not heard that anyone's died yet. Stop being so alarmist!"

It's a good thing strategic documents exist which differentiate acts of cyber war from cyber espionage and vandalism. To use another stupid analogy, its like the difference between throwing a brick through the window of a building, and blowing it up killing all occupants. Both are terrorism.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 17, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

When Russia does invade, in the 24-48 hour lead up, cyber attacks will likely bring critical infrastructure to a complete halt. This will likely happen in the final lead up to an invasion and be a sure indication of what is to come.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 17, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1482944328284651520

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ah the strand of destiny has revealed itself.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

apropos of nothing, roshen is one of the shittiest brands of sweets i've ever tried

incredibly chemical-tasting chocolate

MyMomSaysImKeen
May 5, 2010
I'm a Russian citizen on vacation in Ukraine and I genuinely had no idea this was occurring.

Thankfully I drove here in a T-72 with an AK, and a few extra pairs of green fatigues

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/ser_ou_parecer/status/1482988067044859905

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

are the russians going to try to install him as head of state or something?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It'll be hella wise for the Ukrainian Military/Govt to back up their critical hardware/sites/data as they wait for the Russians to come marching.

Shibawanko posted:

Somehow plausible. Then again, I never kept up with his administration so what do i know.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If the gas pipelines through Ukraine get shut down or even damaged it's going to be insane on the spot market. Some countries get the majority of their gas supply from there and don't have a lot of long term, price stable contracts. Nord stream 2 might actually go online.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Shibawanko posted:

Grouchio posted:

Somehow plausible. Then again, I never kept up with his administration so what do i know.

Guys (except Shibawanko), this is why it pays to pay attention in class, instead of willing your favourite Tom Clancy books into existence. Poroshenko is a Ukrainian nationalist who lost his 2019 re-election partially on being insufficiently pro-Russian. This is the guy who basically got Ukraine to sign European Union Association Agreement, and who separated Ukrainian Church from Moscow Patriarchy.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 17, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
WHOAH IS THAT VIKTOR YANUKOVICH'S ENTRANCE MUSIC?!? :vince:

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Tom Clancy's book about koschei Putin sending Yanukovich to get back the needle containing the immortal's soul hidden in the Golden Loaf of White Bread. The west sends the third idiot son Petro. In the end he gets the braided beauty that was imprisoned for years

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Speaking of the devil, how is Yulechka doing these days? Anyone know anything about that?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I doubt Russia really invades. Good practice for the military and I'm sure some messing about on the border will occur. Ukraine gets scared and Russia gets something politically.

I'm not sure what the West could actually do if Russia did decide to annex eastern Ukraine though. Spew lots of hot air?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There's going to be another military exercise in Belarus soon.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Guys (except Shibawanko), this is why it pays to pay attention in class, instead of willing your favourite Tom Clancy books into existence. Poroshenko is a Ukrainian nationalist who lost his 2019 re-election partially on being insufficiently pro-Russian. This is the guy who basically got Ukraine to sign European Union Association Agreement, and who separated Ukrainian Church from Moscow Patriarchy.

ukraine was never even mentioned in any of my classes so it becoming the country on which all global politics turns has really thrown us for a loop

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Primary school history courses in the US are the most barebones curriculum you can think of. Why did all funding and effort go into loving varsity!? :bang:

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Nenonen posted:

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1483058712881291265

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Primary school history courses in the US are the most barebones curriculum you can think of. Why did all funding and effort go into loving varsity!? :bang:

You probably aren't to find a school history course anywhere in the world that goes into any meaningful detail on Ukraine or even mentions the place more than once or twice, outside of Ukraine and probably some of its neighbors.