Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I want to put all my carts in some kind of book or case instead using individual cases. What's a good option for something that can hold a few dozen carts and isn't gigantic?

You've got options on Amazon.

Or you can spend $5 on some adhesive craft foam and make one.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So I do the "counting" thing where you add up the size of the hints and the required blanks to figure out which hints on the board have the least number of potential placements--say two "variants". At that point, with a computerized solver it's pretty cheap to make a copy of the board and walk done the solution branches for both variants, and just throw away the work for the invalid branch once you've determined that it's invalid. The problem is that many subsequent operations will be the same in both branches so you end up duplicating the effort even though only one of them will yield a valid solution. Compound that with many guesses and the work gets pretty inefficient quickly.

Whereas when you solve them by hand you want to delay making a "guess" for as long as possible because unwinding from a wrong guess is much more difficult. Still, it would be beneficial to do that in a computerized solver because once you reach the point when (if) you're forced to guess, you're not putting in much extra work only to find an invalid solution.

With a little more work, a solver won't need to duplicate the board, or throw anything away. The way I approached mine is first to generate, for each rank and row, the set of possible ways to fill it in (which isn't a big deal, since it is determined/constrained by a given clue). Then on each iteration of the loop, I look (using the currently available representations) for cells that can definitely be filled in, or definitely cannot, applying that to the grid, as well as filtering out representations that would contradict the grid as it stands at that moment.

With each iteration, more of the grid is filled in, and more potential representations are filtered out, until there is nothing left to do. Since, in principle anyway, a good nonogram is deterministically solvable and requires no guessing, this simple approach works well, and doesn't result in contradictions.

For the puzzle on page 197, my solver resolves it in 25 iterations, for example.

Edit: I've been grinding out mega-picross recently, as I once more mull over a mega-picross solver. I feel perhaps I could use a similar approach as for normal Picross. But the wrinkle of the fact that the representations for mega-clues span rows/columns keeps tripping up my thoughts on data structures.

magimix fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 16, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hammer Bro. posted:

Holy HECK did this thread not do its job. Sure y'all said Tetris Effect was a good VR experience and now it had a Switch port, but you did NOT say how engrossing the music, visuals, and audiovisual gameplay was. I spent the first half trash talking, the second half being trash talked, and the whole experience having my vision black out around the TV screen.

You also didn't tell me that Colin Mocherie is old but Wayne Brady is the same age, or that Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is out.

For shame, thread. For shame.

I have several times mentioned in this thread that Tetris Effect is the best Tetris, but I'll forgive you since my full comments were in the last thread:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

While you're all moonlighting as a bounty hunter, I've been playing Tetris Effect.

I love it. Plain and simple. This is the Tetris game I always wanted. It has all the great sound effect and music work that was present in Lumines, and that makes such a world of difference.

I don't know if I'm playing better but just that feeling of making the music gets me so much more involved. It's like Electroplankton via Tetris.

It runs super smoothly for those that care about those things, perhaps too smoothly since I over-shoot some placements at times, though that's clearly my fault. The graphics aren't great but I love them since they remind of the old computer Tetris games I would play on older PC's at the turn of the century. So it's nostalgic and musical and just great.

It's the small touches that elevate it above Tetris 99 (a very solid Tetris game), but those small touches make all the difference.

If you're a tetris fan, it's a must get, and if you don't have one yet or want just something more than the free version of Tetris 99 I highly suggest it. T99 isn't bad, but its marathon modes are very limited, meaning your single player experience is still relatively lacking. Tetris effect doesn't seem to have that issue.

I've had a long and hard week, and playing it just now was euphoric.

I love this game. One of the few games I've bought sight unseen and on launch. It's just fantastic. Everyone should play it. Someone mentioned earlier on the soundwork elevates it from great to mind-opening.

I still don't know what my favorite stages are, but I love the first one, the NYC piano one, and the Volcano one in particular. They feel SO good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Customer service probably won't be open today, it's a holiday

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So Hades is definitely not a good phone game. I managed to keep my streak up with the Spear, but the game requires just too much concentration. I lucked out due to the Boons I had going, but yeah I can't reasonably hold a conversation and play it. I started up Pyre on PC, and it's neat. I wonder why they never brought it over. It can be played with a gamepad. I'd get it at this point just to support the company.

Dead Cells is more or less in the same group too. Too hard to chat and play well.

I can't beat Dicey Dungeons Inventor 4... and it's a game that requires a bit too much reading to chat well with.

Tetris Effect is good but it KILLS my battery on m OG switch. I may try Stardew Valley. The time limit doesn't help, but if you pause liberally to gather your thoughts it's low key enough.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Snake Maze posted:

This is not a passive aggressive dig or anything: it’s pretty fascinating (and kind of impressive) that you’ve been programming a solver for picross despite apparently having no idea how to solve picross.
Well yes, I've been intentionally doing it in isolation of established work on the problem. Which isn't good for research in general but is good as a thought exercise.

magimix posted:

The way I approached mine is first to generate, for each rank and row, the set of possible ways to fill it in (which isn't a big deal, since it is determined/constrained by a given clue). Then on each iteration of the loop, I look (using the currently available representations) for cells that can definitely be filled in, or definitely cannot, applying that to the grid, as well as filtering out representations that would contradict the grid as it stands at that moment.
That's exactly why I do, with a preference for iteration over "making a guess" based on which hints have the least number of remaining candidates across the entire board. The problem is that I don't have codified the "definitely must be filled" in part in all instances, because of ambiguous cases. The checking for overlaps among candidates is part of getting through that. The next part is looking for opposite-dimension hints that must support a recently filled line because there's none of the other hints for the same line could support it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If I bought a switch lite (or an OLED) for my wife, is there a way for both of us to play the digital games we already own on our primary?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Does Tetris Effect have the same hard drop sensitivity setting that they added to T99? That's the only reason I didn't pick up Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 because it makes a huge difference in my experience going between titles.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Huxley posted:

If I bought a switch lite (or an OLED) for my wife, is there a way for both of us to play the digital games we already own on our primary?

Your Account can play any of Your Games on any Switch.

Any account can play any of Your Games on Your Switch.

Set the new Switch (ostensibly hers) as Your Switch. You can do this by selecting your icon in the upper right of the store on your current switch, and deregister it. Then just open the shop in the second one. Nothing else required.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

Your Account can play any of Your Games on any Switch.

Any account can play any of Your Games on Your Switch.

Set the new Switch (ostensibly hers) as Your Switch. You can do this by selecting your icon in the upper right of the store on your current switch, and deregister it. Then just open the shop in the second one. Nothing else required.

Cool! And then if I bought a game I wanted to put on both I would need to download it on the console I bought it on, deregister, register on the other one, and download it there. And just swap back and forth as I buy things.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Grindstone, a fun puzzle "battler" game, is half off right now. Kind of like candy crush but with swords, monsters, etc.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Huxley posted:

Cool! And then if I bought a game I wanted to put on both I would need to download it on the console I bought it on, deregister, register on the other one, and download it there. And just swap back and forth as I buy things.

No juggling required-- just download the games using the "redownload" option. Deregistering simply lets you reassign a primary system, doesn't delete your profile from the system or touch your games/saves at all.

You'll even be able to play games online together, so you can join the same server and Monster Hunter together or Cross Animals on each other's island.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

I guess now the trick is finding one.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 17, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I forget, was Cris Tales any good? It's half-off, for $20.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Read After Burning posted:

I tried it when it launched on Game Pass, and despite having that Valkyrie Profile-style of combat that I love, something about the gameplay just felt stiff and unfun.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I can't beat Dicey Dungeons Inventor 4... and it's a game that requires a bit too much reading to chat well with.

I got the same problem, the 4th stage is the hardest from the ones I've seen. I haven't beat for for the inventor yet either.

I'm imagining trying to beat 4 with the Witch and getting irritated already

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

chaleski posted:

I got the same problem, the 4th stage is the hardest from the ones I've seen. I haven't beat for for the inventor yet either.

Witch 4 and 6 are both irritating beyond all belief. We had 19 runs at Witch 4 before clearing.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i've been killed in the first or second encounter with as far as i could tell nothing i could have done to avoid it on just number 2 for some characters. i'm less interested in continuing than i was after the first round...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Read After Burning posted:

Nah its all style the gameplay bored me instantly

Coxswain Balls posted:

Does Tetris Effect have the same hard drop sensitivity setting that they added to T99? That's the only reason I didn't pick up Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 because it makes a huge difference in my experience going between titles.

You can turn off the push up to instantly place block option in TE

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Coxswain Balls posted:

I think so. The game has a ton of customization. I never had an issue with either game for what it's worth.

chaleski posted:

I guess the strategy is to get one or two good upgraded objects and then hope for the best. It doesn't help that the Character trait (all 6's) isn't actually that strong. A lot of time you don't actually want or need a six. I'l probably move on and try the other stages in a moment per my 3 life rule.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

which game is the best for if you just want to play regular marathon tetris on the terlet using a switch? for 3-4 hours just sitting there. this part doesnt matter

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/n64thstreetgifs/status/1482905692180664325?s=21

Words to live by.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

You can turn off the push up to instantly place block option in TE

I don't mean turning off the hard drop by pressing up altogether. In T99 they added a sensitivity option so that the up direction needs to be held for a couple of milliseconds to register. The lag is imperceptible even in high level play but it completely got rid of accidental hard drops for me with a cross d-pad, and when it was patched in I went from never winning because of misdrops in high pressure situations to consistently getting first place.

Unfortunately using joycons with the separated buttons isn't an option because they destroy my tendons when playing Tetris.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think so. The game has a ton of customization. I never had an issue with either game for what it's worth.

Does it have that option in there? T99 upped my game substantially and when I went back to PPT it was insane how many misdrops were happening despite ostensibly playing the same game. I have a hunch that the Pro Controller's reputation for having a bad d-pad is mainly due to the PPT demo not having any kind of debounce filtering with the inputs since I've never had those kinds of issues with wrong inputs in other games.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just one question: if I buy a Switch, can I play couch co-op by just hooking up a second set of controllers?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Goddamn I'd love to play that game again, I never beat it

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Coxswain Balls posted:

I have a hunch that the Pro Controller's reputation for having a bad d-pad is mainly due to the PPT demo not having any kind of debounce filtering with the inputs since I've never had those kinds of issues with wrong inputs in other games.

it's due to the d-pad being unreliable in every game where that matters, op. such as celeste or super mario picross (where on half the puzzles you're on a time limit and penalized for mistakes, such as drifting over a column while drawing a vertical line).

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

QuarkJets posted:

Just one question: if I buy a Switch, can I play couch co-op by just hooking up a second set of controllers?

Yes, obviously. Some games you can even play co-op with just the two joycon that come with the Switch, although this isn't fun for anyone for long periods of time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yes, obviously. Some games you can even play co-op with just the two joycon that come with the Switch, although this isn't fun for anyone for long periods of time.

Though at the same time, don't ignore those little button covers that come with the system, that have the wrist strap with them. The strap is whatever, but sliding on the controller add-ons (seriously what are they called?) makes hitting SL and SR WAY better.

If you go split joycons, use them.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

b_d posted:

it's due to the d-pad being unreliable in every game where that matters, op. such as celeste or super mario picross (where on half the puzzles you're on a time limit and penalized for mistakes, such as drifting over a column while drawing a vertical line).

Like I said, it's just a hunch going off of how it was fixed in Tetris 99, since digital buttons having a sensitivity setting is already kind of weird. I wonder if the joycons having discrete buttons being the default has created QA blind spot where input filtering is being skipped entirely with a lot of games.

I did the tape mod on my own controller but the T99 sensitivity patch had the most drastic effect on my play before and after so it's definitely something that seems fixable in software. It'd be neat if it's something that could be implemented in a firmware patch or something to have that fix for every game, but who knows what kind of weird bugs it might introduce if a game isn't expecting that behaviour.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cavauro posted:

which game is the best for if you just want to play regular marathon tetris on the terlet using a switch? for 3-4 hours just sitting there. this part doesnt matter

Tetris Effect. 99 only offers 150 or 999 lines or something to that effect. Effect lets you choose speed, endless or not, and a whole bunch of other variables.

I would argue that the themes are slightly more fun in 99 since it’s franchises you know, and since it has a classic game boy one, but Effects themes are a loving trip and worth experiencing always with the sound on.

That said it’s 3 times the price of 99 so up to you. I think 99 has nothing on Effect which is the single best way to Tetris.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm very disappointed that Effect has only one visual/audio track for 40 line sprints :mad:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

That is pretty much what I said every time I rented it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nobody told me that Katamari Damacy, in addition to being fun and stupid and addictive, is also frustrating as all hell

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://twitter.com/KeitaTakahash/status/1081733101900840960?s=20

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I can't even get past Make a Star 4 and it's making me feel inadequate as a person

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You will get better

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Coxswain Balls posted:

Like I said, it's just a hunch going off of how it was fixed in Tetris 99, since digital buttons having a sensitivity setting is already kind of weird. I wonder if the joycons having discrete buttons being the default has created QA blind spot where input filtering is being skipped entirely with a lot of games.

I did the tape mod on my own controller but the T99 sensitivity patch had the most drastic effect on my play before and after so it's definitely something that seems fixable in software. It'd be neat if it's something that could be implemented in a firmware patch or something to have that fix for every game, but who knows what kind of weird bugs it might introduce if a game isn't expecting that behaviour.

I wouldn't say that digital buttons having a sensitivity setting is particularly weird, as long as you consider that it's sensitivity in time instead of sensitivity in space.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Coxswain Balls posted:

I have a hunch that the Pro Controller's reputation for having a bad d-pad is mainly due to the PPT demo not having any kind of debounce filtering with the inputs since I've never had those kinds of issues with wrong inputs in other games.
Debouncing isn't really intended to remove spurious inputs from a different sensor. Sure it's helpful for games to provide such a feature, but it still comes back to the Pro Controller being faulty.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If I own a game digitally and then buy a cart version will the switch track them as separate games?