Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nurmie posted:

executions didn't really help in stopping the endemic corruption in the late-ish ussr

the cruelty is the point :xickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

nurmie posted:

i mean, one would hope; however, iirc this is sadly an exception rather than the rule (even in china) and corruption generally tends to run deeper than just one ceo or boss who's chosen to be made an example of

(also, executions didn't really help in stopping the endemic corruption in the late-ish ussr. of course, arguably, modern china is much less dysfunctional than the late ussr)

ah, drat, guess we gotta nuke china

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Corky Romanovsky posted:

why am i not surprised seeing such propositions from someone who voted for Joe Biden

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Corky Romanovsky posted:

agreed.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Someone seems oddly fixated on the fact that just because corruption happens that it should be accepted as a fact of life

I wonder why a westerner would think that

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

HiroProtagonist posted:

Someone seems oddly fixated on the fact that just because corruption happens that it should be accepted as a fact of life

I wonder why a westerner would think that

i mean, i'm less of a westerner than you lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
at the start of new zealand's delta outbreak, positive cases, their households and other close contacts were put into quarantine hotels – it only stopped because they ran out of space and don't have the workforce to stand up more of them. with home isolation, you're always accepting a level of leakage.

china putting entire neighbourhoods into quarantine is more extreme obvs, but it's not some crazy unique measure. i can especially see it making sense if there aren't stay at home orders etc. in place for the wider locality, because then you're just restricting the rights of the highest-risk group. does anyone itt know about this?

the only thing i find weird about their covid response is still treating fomite transmission (on like imported frozen goods) as a serious threat lol.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

exmarx posted:

the only thing i find weird about their covid response is still treating fomite transmission (on like imported frozen goods) as a serious threat lol.

you can do this when your cases are so low that fomite transmission represents a greater-than-1% proportion of them

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

nurmie posted:

why am i not surprised seeing such propositions from someone who voted for Joe Biden

woah, you saw this in gbs or dnd link pls

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

exmarx posted:

Where outside of China would you be able to tell? It seems weitd, but if you handle a lot of freight :shrug:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm currently reading "How China Escaped Shock Therapy" by Isabella M. Weber and it's so chock-full of new stuff for me to learn and dig in that if I tried to report about it I'd end up just posting whole chapters of the book, but here's something that's small and digestible:

I shouldn't be surprised that the Americans hosed over Chiang Kai-Shek, but it's still at least a little shocking that it was so intellectually bankrupt of them. Shades of Paul Bremer in Baghdad

in absolute awe of the purestrain liberalism in action here

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

sexpig by night posted:

lol the D&D thread is really trying to do something huh

besides the obvious fact no one should be treating unsourced videos from @TruthAbtChina as authoritative evidence of anything, whatever these videos are they're not of places you'll go if you test positive in china. there are designated hospitals for treatment of positive cases and close contacts are kept in isolation in their homes while the labs run their test results. international arrivals go to designated hotels. there are no purpose-built "quarantine camps" and there haven't been as far as i know since the early days of the pandemic in wuhan. even there the centralized quarantine facilities were repurposed school gymnasiums and whatnot. just big open spaces with a bunch of beds

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why were the americans surprised that the nationalists lost having actively worked to sabotage their economy

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

exmarx posted:

there was a new case in beijing and the patient hadn't traveled outside the city/province in the past 14 days. he did receive an international parcel from canada, though. they took environmental samples from it and they all came back positive. so i don't think the possibility is as remote as one might think

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fart simpson posted:

the former head of china's version of the fda was executed after some embarrassing bribery related health crises too

xi please im beggin' u to take over the cdc

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Throatwarbler posted:

FDR's silver purchases of 1933/4 basically destroyed the ROC economically.

Friedman and Schwartz wrote on this extensively.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2138806

China had since the early Qing had a monetary system based on silver, which wasn't all that common in China itself and usually came from mines in Japan. I would posit that a large part of the economic boom of the Kangxi and Qianlong emperors came from the influx of Spanish silver dollars via Manilla. Modern testing finds that a large percentage of the silver from that period came from Latin America. Similarly the opium induced foreign outflow of silver led to monetary depression that crushed the peasantry while enriching the landlord class - landlords horded silver while the price of farm and industrial products plummeted in silver terms. This would eventually lead to peasant revolts and the Taiping Rebellion. Throughout the late Qing and early ROC, the de facto unit of currency was the Spanish silver dollar, or 大洋, literally a "big foreign dollar". Since China maintained a silver backed currency and not gold like most other economies it was relatively insulated from the Great Depression and the senators from Nevada in their successful lobbying for a US silver purchase program basically sent Republican China into economic ruin.

interesting! also been listening to this pod (by a maoist) talk about silver in the context of the opium wars.

https://peopleshistoryofideas.com/about/

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

HiroProtagonist posted:

it truly owns how the TFR cold war thread is obsessed with jerking off over imaginary scenarios where china invades taiwan or the philippines (or both) or the DPRK just randomly decides to nuke the US because there's no war scenario conceivable other than asian countries just going insane for unfathomable reasons

one of the posters referenced me asking itt if there was any new consensus on katyn being an act of nazi germany because new evidence may have changed the historical consensus as "jaqing off"

It's all projection. We go to war over unfathomable reasons all the time, which only make sense to us - so that must mean everybody else is an irrational actor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

why were the americans surprised that the nationalists lost having actively worked to sabotage their economy

they were taught wrong, on purpose, as a joke

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

HiroProtagonist posted:

Those are state run labs so if there's a scam being run there's going to be some consequences

I don't know how it would be worth it

It'd be justifiable to treat someone running a hypothetical scam like that as committing treason imo.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I shouldn't be surprised that the Americans hosed over Chiang Kai-Shek, but it's still at least a little shocking that it was so intellectually bankrupt of them. Shades of Paul Bremer in Baghdad

If you're ever anywhere near to having anything important to say in any country, always remember to never, under any circumstances, trust a western trained economist.

BULBASAUR posted:

imagine if a handful of billionaire bankers got executed after the last American banking crisis

or some corrupt government idiots from Flint Michigan got 10 years hard labor

Any American politician who would delivery anything even close to this would be able to win three presidential terms, minimum. They'd also be mysteriously murdered by an unidentified lone gunman within a week.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 10:31 on Jan 17, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/HuXijin_GT/status/1482699696909209601?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thinking about Chinese Bobby Axelrod making a "play" like this

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

gradenko_2000 posted:

you can do this when your cases are so low that fomite transmission represents a greater-than-1% proportion of them

genericnick posted:

Where outside of China would you be able to tell? It seems weitd, but if you handle a lot of freight :shrug:

R. Guyovich posted:

there was a new case in beijing and the patient hadn't traveled outside the city/province in the past 14 days. he did receive an international parcel from canada, though. they took environmental samples from it and they all came back positive. so i don't think the possibility is as remote as one might think

i thought the evidence around fomites and shipping was pretty weak, but happy to be proven wrong. we had a couple of mystery cases of transmission in quarantine hotels that they originally concluded were due to people touching the same bin or elevator button, but now they think it was probably just aerosols.

r. guy's example could have been due to the in-country supply chain (i think that's what this one ended up being), or potentially due an unidentified contact who had returned from another region. i'm sure china's case investigators are good, but the mechanism of infection can be insanely difficult to determine – if your country has strong protective systems in place, the ones that do slip through are often weird/unique.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

https://i.imgur.com/72o7gty.mp4

:butterfly meme: is this genocide?

That little boy is doing the floss dance.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wait wait wait, am I to understand correctly that the ChiComs gained mass support and then power by materially improving the lives of regular people?

My God these communists are worse than we were previously led to believe... they are... populists!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

busting speculators by being the biggest commodity trader is pretty ingenious

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The house always wins baby!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

busting speculators by being the biggest commodity trader is pretty ingenious

It has a bit of an MMO Auction House feel to it tbh

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Xi speech to Davos from this morning for those interested.
https://youtu.be/dYSFakz7Mcg

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

One thing that's important to remember about American advisors throughout history and also today is that most of them are diehard ideological true believers in the master narrative of American capitalism and democracy. Even the things they do that they know are wrong in a vacuum, like overthrowing elected officials or crippling developing economies, they usually justify by claiming it's for the greater good and the long-term interests of capitalism and democracy. They legitimately believe that to be true and think they're just the ones who have to make the hard decisions to break a few eggs in order to make the omelet in the long run.

Without having read any more on it than the excerpts gradenko posted, I would hazard a guess that the American advisors to Nationalist China legitimately believed that they were offering good economic advice and that if the nationalists had gone through with things like the salt monopoly it would have made things worse, because the advisors were almost certainly true believers in laissez-faire economics. They weren't actively working to sabotage the economy, it just so happens that sabotaging the economy was the end result of what they would have insisted to their dying breath was well-intentioned advice based on the most up-to-date free market economics research available to them.

large oblate cat
Jul 7, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

state trading agencies doing the "dump eet" meme literally, l-mao

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Analysis: China's 'zero-COVID' campaign under strain as Omicron surges

quote:

China has become a victim of its own success and is now struggling to find a way out, the U.S.-based Eurasia Group said in a report earlier this month.

"The initial success of zero COVID-19 and Xi's personal attachment to it makes it impossible to change course," it said.

"China's policy will fail to contain infections, leading to larger outbreaks, requiring, in turn, more severe lockdowns," it said, predicting greater economic disruptions and rising public dissatisfaction.

That provoked an angry response from the official China Daily on Friday, which described it as "a ridiculous conjecture full of political bias".

It's always projection.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

american quarantine camp:

the only social distancing Americans are willing to do

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tankbuster posted:

That little boy is doing the floss dance.

But not for more than an hour a week

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Life is cheap but whoopers are expensive.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

China WILL fail, says increasingly nervous China Watcher for the 747th day in a row

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

vyelkin posted:

One thing that's important to remember about American advisors throughout history and also today is that most of them are diehard ideological true believers in the master narrative of American capitalism and democracy. Even the things they do that they know are wrong in a vacuum, like overthrowing elected officials or crippling developing economies, they usually justify by claiming it's for the greater good and the long-term interests of capitalism and democracy. They legitimately believe that to be true and think they're just the ones who have to make the hard decisions to break a few eggs in order to make the omelet in the long run.

Without having read any more on it than the excerpts gradenko posted, I would hazard a guess that the American advisors to Nationalist China legitimately believed that they were offering good economic advice and that if the nationalists had gone through with things like the salt monopoly it would have made things worse, because the advisors were almost certainly true believers in laissez-faire economics. They weren't actively working to sabotage the economy, it just so happens that sabotaging the economy was the end result of what they would have insisted to their dying breath was well-intentioned advice based on the most up-to-date free market economics research available to them.

It keeps happening

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1483119789493166082?s=20

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

the world's most effective pro-environmental direct action organization strikes again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1483125473018363913?s=20

the other china genocide not talked about