Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

weirdly i still feel like my CPU is the bottleneck based on the way i've seen a lot of games perform, but you guys are smarter than i am so i'll take your word for it

It depends entirely on the games you're playing. With Minecraft, I can 100% believe that it's maxing out your CPU. But the 1050 is over 5 years old and was a weak budget card when it first came out, so there are a lot of newer 3D games that will not work well without dropping settings to the lowest. So if you're mostly playing old games or 2D cpu-heavy indie games, that kind of stuff, then a CPU upgrade would likely help a lot. But if you want to play some nicer-looking 3D games, then the GPU will be the better upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So given I've got a dying video card in my current ~8 year old setup, I'm looking to just do a full build of a new computer. Been playing around with Cyberpower's building system and I've currently got this build.

Gaming Chassis: NZXT H510 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Window panel (Matte Black)
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700G 3.8GHz [4.6GHz Turbo] 8C/16T 20MB L3 Cache 65W W/ Radeon Vega Graphics
CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: CyberPowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate
Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: None
Video Card: GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 Video Card (Ampere) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
Power Supply: 750 Watts - CoolerMaster MWE GOLD 750 - V2 80 PLUS GOLD Ultra Quiet Full Modular Power Supply
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-PRO ATX, RGB, 1GbE LAN, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2x M.2 SATA/PCIe
RAM / System Memory: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)
Primary Hard Drive: 1TB WD Blue SN570 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
Secondary Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) Seagate SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 256MB Cache HDD

Totalling ~$1900.

Given it's been a while since I've gone through parts, wanted it to run this by the thread to see if there are any glaring errors I've made or things I'm forgetting for a PC I'm wanting to last for a similar amount of time (or longer), or anything superfluous I can downgrade or cut. Or just any suggestions in general. For reference I'm looking for a solid mid-tier gaming PC that will STAY solidly mid-tier for the indefinite future.

Cutting down on the RAM a bit is something I'm at least considering already, but that's not too much either way.

Also whether I should be avoiding Cyberpower. They seem fine, but a friend pointed them out recently and I'm not terribly familiar with them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

So given I've got a dying video card in my current ~8 year old setup, I'm looking to just do a full build of a new computer. Been playing around with Cyberpower's building system and I've currently got this build.

Gaming Chassis: NZXT H510 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Window panel (Matte Black)
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700G 3.8GHz [4.6GHz Turbo] 8C/16T 20MB L3 Cache 65W W/ Radeon Vega Graphics
CPU / Processor Cooling Fan: CyberPowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate
Video Card: GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 Video Card (Ampere) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
Power Supply: 750 Watts - CoolerMaster MWE GOLD 750 - V2 80 PLUS GOLD Ultra Quiet Full Modular Power Supply
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-PRO ATX, RGB, 1GbE LAN, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2x M.2 SATA/PCIe
RAM / System Memory: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)

Totalling ~$1900.

Given it's been a while since I've gone through parts, wanted it to run this by the thread to see if there are any glaring errors I've made or things I'm forgetting for a PC I'm wanting to last for a similar amount of time (or longer), or anything superfluous I can downgrade or cut. Or just any suggestions in general. For reference I'm looking for a solid mid-tier gaming PC that will STAY solidly mid-tier for the indefinite future.

Cutting down on the RAM a bit is something I'm at least considering already, but that's not too much either way.

Also whether I should be avoiding Cyberpower. They seem fine, but a friend pointed them out recently and I'm not terribly familiar with them.

$1900 is way too much money to pay for a 5700G/3060 Ti system. 32GB of RAM and an extra HDD are adding a little bit to the cost (going higher than 16GB isn't doing a lot, and you can probably get cheaper extra storage by buying it elsewhere), but even with that stuff, I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for a prebuilt of that caliber. You would be heavily overpaying for what will be a fairly unspectacular system.

This "build kit" for $1450 (including shipping) will get you basically the same performance (with even the same case) for about $450 less: https://nzxt.com/product/bld-kit-starter-pro-pc

Newegg has 3060 Ti prebuilts listed starting at $1500 (if you ignore the HP Omen, which you should), though you're better off getting that build kit in my opinion.

You can get a 5600X/3070 machine from Redux for $1800 (no OS license included). $100 less for a much better system, though $1800 is still a bit much for this to be honest. You can also get a similarly specced build kit from nzxt for about the same price (with faster shipping). Newegg's PC builder contains what's potentially a better deal, $1750 for 11600k/3070 (after a mail-in rebate for the cpu cooler and a coupon code for the cpu). That's much better performance than the prebuilt you mentioned for $150 less. If Newegg let me, I'd substitute in a 12th gen intel CPU instead, but they're being annoying today. Some days they let you check out with those, other days they don't.

Overall the 3060 Ti prebuilt is probably a better deal. They're both kinda meh though, with better and cheaper prebuilts having been available during black friday, but those days may be over now because I haven't seen anything decent since.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 18, 2022

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Finished assembling my new PC to test things before I shove them into a case.

I went with ROG Strix-E z690 mobo and it came with this PCIE "hyper m.2" expansion card with two m.2 slots covered with an absolutely massive solid heatsink...

The board already has three m.2 slots, (1 on the gen5 and two on gen4) but does anyone know if I'd be better off using this hyper card in the secondary gen 4 slot over one on the board itself?

I can't figure out why Asus included this thing... When so many m.2 slots are on the board already. Maybe to free up SATA??

I'm still new to m.2s... coming from 2.5" SATA III drives lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Slayerjerman posted:

Finished assembling my new PC to test things before I shove them into a case.

I went with ROG Strix-E z690 mobo and it came with this PCIE "hyper m.2" expansion card with two m.2 slots covered with an absolutely massive solid heatsink...

The board already has three m.2 slots, (1 on the gen5 and two on gen4) but does anyone know if I'd be better off using this hyper card in the secondary gen 4 slot over one on the board itself?

I can't figure out why Asus included this thing... When so many m.2 slots are on the board already. Maybe to free up SATA??

I'm still new to m.2s... coming from 2.5" SATA III drives lol

The joke answer is that they have to toss some extras into the box in order to justify the price, and that's all they could come up with. The real answer is that most Z690 boards have 4 m.2 slots, with some having 5. The fact that this $450 board has 3 was probably seen by Asus as a drawback big enough worth correcting.

Your boot drive should be in the m.2 slot closest to your CPU since it will be connected directly to it. This will have very minor performance benefits that are basically unnoticeable in normal use but whatever.

As for what to do with all those m.2 slots, I guess you get a shitload of m.2 drives. That's essentially the form factor of the future. Nearly all SSDs worth buying will be using it, and it's presumably going to stick around for a while. I have 5 storage drives in my computer right now (though three are SATA), so I can see someone accumulating that many m.2 drives over time, especially if they already have a couple. The hoarder mindset is real. (though yeah, five is a bit excessive)

On that note, I don't fully understand that card/mobo combination. The instruction manual says that it only works in the gen 4 slot (the bottommost one) which switches from "x4" to "x4/x4" mode, but I have no idea what that means. The expansion slot itself is electrically x4 only; the other pins aren't even there. So I don't know what happens if you have two high-speed gen 4 SSDs plugged in.

edit: Actually the manual says that using that topmost slot forces your main x16 PCIe slot into x8 mode because it's a Gen 5 slot that has to steal PCIe lanes from the Gen 5 PCIe slot. There may be a bios option to disable this, but the manual frustratingly doesn't explain what's in the bios. If there's not an option to disable that, then I'd recommend using the m.2_2 slot instead to avoid stealing lanes from your GPU. (Even though that slot is gen 5, GPUs are either Gen 4 or 3, so they'll run a little bit slower with half the lanes)

edit 2: honestly, this board kinda seems poorly designed

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 17, 2022

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It depends entirely on the games you're playing. With Minecraft, I can 100% believe that it's maxing out your CPU. But the 1050 is over 5 years old and was a weak budget card when it first came out, so there are a lot of newer 3D games that will not work well without dropping settings to the lowest. So if you're mostly playing old games or 2D cpu-heavy indie games, that kind of stuff, then a CPU upgrade would likely help a lot. But if you want to play some nicer-looking 3D games, then the GPU will be the better upgrade.

okay cool, this is the information I needed. I guess I'll wait until demand goes down for better cards, then.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thumbtacks posted:

I guess I'll wait until demand goes down for better cards, then.

Oh sweetie.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Are the Radeon 5X00G CPUs with no dedicated GPU still ok for basic gaming? I basically only want to play my existing Steam library and not new games, haha. Looking to build a mini-ITX SFF that can connect to my TV and fit in my entertainment center.

Edit -
Basic gaming for older games, like Portal 2. Not trying to run Cyberpunk 2077 or Witcher 3 or Doom 2016.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 17, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
define basic gaming. google whatever part you're looking at and there will be a ton of people doing benchmarks on youtube.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tmbiRvGHg

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have a Ryzen 3600 with the stock cooler, and it's running pretty hot. I'm switching to a better cooled case very soon (already have it, just need to actually transplant things), but I think I'd still like a better CPU cooler. Ideally both more quiet and better cooling.

The Scythe Fuma 2 recommended in the OP seems like it might be slightly too large footprint to fit my board (MSI B550 Gaming Plus, MS-7C56), so I'm looking at other options.

Currently eyeing one of these:
Noctua NH-D9L
NZXT Kraken M22

Any words for/against either of those?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
both will be colossal upgrades, but are kind of overkill for a 3600. you could probably get like an arctic esports duo or something for cheaper, six cores aren't saturating that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lord Koth posted:

Totalling ~$1900.

Where are you?
Are you near a microcenter

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CoolCab posted:

both will be colossal upgrades, but are kind of overkill for a 3600. you could probably get like an arctic esports duo or something for cheaper, six cores aren't saturating that.

I'm running the esports 34 duo and can confirm, it maxes out in the 50s and is absolutely silent.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Are the Radeon 5X00G CPUs with no dedicated GPU still ok for basic gaming? I basically only want to play my existing Steam library and not new games, haha. Looking to build a mini-ITX SFF that can connect to my TV and fit in my entertainment center.

Edit -
Basic gaming for older games, like Portal 2. Not trying to run Cyberpunk 2077 or Witcher 3 or Doom 2016.

I can only speak to the 2200G, which I THINK has worse GPU cores than the 5600G. I'm doing exactly what you're doing: catching up on my Steam library (mainly AAA titles from 2016 and earlier), and doing couch co-op with my 4-year-old.

The short answer is gently caress YES.

I'm totally floored by how well Ryzen's APUs do. I just finished playing Halo 2 Anniversary (2014) at full graphics and it's a great gameplay experience. I haven't tried the Witcher 3 yet, but like someone else said, search "[Game] with 5600G" and see what people can pull off. This youtube playlist shows a number of titles running off a 2200G, and it's nuts.

I don't mean to oversell it—it's still integrated graphics; you're going to turn down the settings for newer AAA titles. But you sound like me a few months ago, so I think you're going to be really impressed at what the Ryzen APUs can handle. The 2200G was the best $100 CAD I've ever spent.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 17, 2022

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

okay cool, this is the information I needed. I guess I'll wait until demand goes down for better cards, then.

The only wat to get out of GPU hell is to work extra hours or pinch pennies and save up.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Thumbtacks posted:

I guess I'll wait until demand goes down for better cards, then.

:laugh:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

it is the year 3090

a 3090 is free because the world is like star trek

thumbtacks dies after 5 minutes of Fortcraft (they merged in 2399)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I was going to say that we could probably even change that to "5 years", but at the rate things are going, we might as well accept the inevitable.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress it 1-2 year

"hey guys i walked into a microcenter and got a 3080 back in september 2020 and now it's bricked. What's the whole process like now? "

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

CoolCab posted:

change my name posted:

I'm running the esports 34 duo and can confirm, it maxes out in the 50s and is absolutely silent.

Thanks.
I didn't get the Arctic eSports Duo, but rather went with a be quiet! Pure Rock 2, it looks roughly equivalent (design and price) and my local store had it in stock.
This is my first time getting an aftermarket CPU cooler since all the replaceable backplate stuff got introduced, even.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

nielsm posted:

Thanks.
I didn't get the Arctic eSports Duo, but rather went with a be quiet! Pure Rock 2, it looks roughly equivalent (design and price) and my local store had it in stock.
This is my first time getting an aftermarket CPU cooler since all the replaceable backplate stuff got introduced, even.

I had that exact same cooler before this one, it's great as well but a huge pain in the rear end to mount IME (no threaded thumbscrews). I don't remember why I replaced it and gave it to a friend but the thermals were really good

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Are the Phanteks T30-120 hit by supply issues, or is there a known issue for them being unavailable here in my part of Europe? Are they using Noctua's special black paint or something.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The single packs are hard to come by in the UK, both retailers that sell them are backordered and one lists the ETA for more stock as March

They're also sold in triple-packs though and those are in stock here, check if you can get that SKU anywhere

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 17, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

The single packs are hard to come by in the UK, both retailers that sell them are backordered and one lists the ETA for more stock as March

They're also sold in triple-packs though and those are in stock here, check if you can get that SKU anywhere
Ah, I had a hunch. Guess I should have ordered one just in case. Maybe the Lian Li Evo case is also making more people pick up fans for when it comes out within next month.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

gently caress it 1-2 year

"hey guys i walked into a microcenter and got a 3080 back in september 2020 and now it's bricked. What's the whole process like now? "

There was never a time when any 30x0 card was available like that. This has been insanity since the launch day.

I’d argue it was worse then because everyone was feverishly trying to get one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

change my name posted:

Mine isn't. Not that it's loud, but you can hear it humming. Maybe my case is closer to me/has more ventilation.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Thanks for the info!

I did know shoving it into m.2 slot1 would share the GPU lanes, so i did use m.2 slot 2 instead, its not like i have two GPUs in here... I swear board mfg's are still trying to conceal/hide this lane "sharing" between storage and PCIE. Its like almost never explained or mentioned in the manuals or spec sheets.

I just didnt know what the hell to do with this extra hyper card thing. I agree this board is kinda meh, but it was a combo deal to get my hands on some DDR5-6000, and since the Hero boards are exploding and seemingly all been recalled, I went with this one to finish my build and stop shopping for more poo poo I dont need. :-)

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Crossposting from GPU thread:

My EVGA queue for a 3080 12gb popped, but I have no interest in it. Does anyone want it? I think I could just give someone my evga login and they'll punch in their own payment/shipping details so I won't have to handle it. My link will expire at Jan 18, 7AM PST. It's for this model that's $1299:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=12G-P5-4877-KL

edit: gone

yergacheffe fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 18, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Newegg just sent me a replacement for the Hero z690 from the shuffle bundle so hopefully it doesn't :supaburn:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

edit: Actually the manual says that using that topmost slot forces your main x16 PCIe slot into x8 mode because it's a Gen 5 slot that has to steal PCIe lanes from the Gen 5 PCIe slot. There may be a bios option to disable this, but the manual frustratingly doesn't explain what's in the bios. If there's not an option to disable that, then I'd recommend using the m.2_2 slot instead to avoid stealing lanes from your GPU. (Even though that slot is gen 5, GPUs are either Gen 4 or 3, so they'll run a little bit slower with half the lanes)

Wait, that’s crazy about the pcie lanes. Is that an issue for all z690 boards or just that asus? I’m in the middle of a build with a msi pro z690-a ddr4 and just slotted a gen 4 m2 ssd into m2_1 about 30 minutes ago. It’s connected to cpu there while the other slots are chipset slots. Should I move it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pmchem posted:

Wait, that’s crazy about the pcie lanes. Is that an issue for all z690 boards or just that asus? I’m in the middle of a build with a msi pro z690-a ddr4 and just slotted a gen 4 m2 ssd into m2_1 about 30 minutes ago. It’s connected to cpu there while the other slots are chipset slots. Should I move it?

No, that will be fine. The Z690-E Strix does that so you can install pcie 5.0 m.2 drives (even though they don't exist yet), but only a handful of high-end boards do this. The MSI Pro lets you keep all your PCIe lanes for your GPU no matter which m.2 slots are populated (and as a result, it doesn't support gen 5 drives)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
My Lenovo Y50 laptop has served me well for the last 7 years, but it is starting to slow down a bit and I would really like to upgrade by doing my own PC Build. I don't really have any need for a laptop anymore and have been browsing desktop PC Builds to see what I could get in my price range. I checked the PC Part Picker link from the OP and have been looking at the Modest AMD Gaming Build since that seems to be close to my price range. I don't know much about computer parts so I am not sure what I should change from the list provided by PC Part Picker. Based on my answers below, I think I could probably downgrade the graphics card, but would want to get a 1-2TB SSD instead of the 500GB one they have. Would definitely appreciate some general advice / suggestions. Thanks for helping out a complete noob with building my first PC!

• What country are you in? USA (California)
  • What are you using the system for? Gaming, Music Production
  • What's your budget? About $1200, hoping for closer to $1000
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 60 Hz, but I don't currently play any graphics-intensive games (WoW, Starcraft, MTG Arena). I like my current monitor because it is 32" and the size is great for music production. I realize that the refresh rate is pretty bad and would likely be a bottleneck for graphics processing.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? I use Ableton Live for music production. It can get pretty CPU intensive, especially for larger projects. The project files and sample libraries also take up a pretty large amount of hard drive space.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MrSargent posted:

• What country are you in? USA (California)

where

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think I put my fan in backwards

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

I think I put my fan in backwards

That's a pain in the rear end. Fans usually have an arrow on them to indicate which way they push air, but it can be hard to find/hard to see.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The convention is they blow towards the side with the sticker on it

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

repiv posted:

The convention is they blow towards the side with the sticker on it

The conventional way is the side with the fan guard (extra plastic in front of the fan blades) is exhaust.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

well it's on the bottom of the case so right now it would be sucking up from the cabinet and then blowing out at the top sides of the case so i dont think it should be circulating the same hot air until i feel like moving it and opening it up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

I am near Sacramento.