Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Just Andi Now posted:

Put me in the column of loving Metroid, loving Igavanias, and bouncing off of Hollow Knight hard several times. Latest try, I got 12 hours into the game and just was not enjoying myself. I bounce off a lot of Metroidvanias, actually. Latest non-Metroid non-Igavania ones I actually finished were a couple Shantae ones and Axiom Verge 2.

I think a lot of it is that I like my Metroidvanias to last like 10 hours max on a casual first playthrough.

You might enjoy Timespinner, it's not that long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Ooh. Last I checked it wasn't on Switch, but apparently that was years ago since it's there now.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

AGDQ just wrapped up but as far as I can tell, Dread wasn’t featured. Dread speed runs are really interesting though. Also it’s a new game and Metroid games historically do well there. Anyone know what’s up? Is there drama, or just a late submission, or what?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

mastajake posted:

AGDQ just wrapped up but as far as I can tell, Dread wasn’t featured. Dread speed runs are really interesting though. Also it’s a new game and Metroid games historically do well there. Anyone know what’s up? Is there drama, or just a late submission, or what?

It was just too late to be submitted for this GDQ. No doubt it'll be featured prominently for SGDQ.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I managed to get a SWOLED because my previous switch stopped functioning in handheld mode, and picked up Dread along with it. This is a fun game, I'm a few hours in and [spoilers]X is back and an infodump guy is now posessed, and the EMMI are powered up.[/spoiler]. Samus feels great to control.

That said, I do not care for EMMI in any way. They just feel annoying and tedious, but because of generous autosaves they are not particularly frustrating. I generally can flash shift past them reliably and then counter with some reliability if they catch me. Also, the amount of damage you take is pretty silly. Bosses taking off entire health tanks in one hit. But I've got like five health tanks already so it's not a big deal, but maybe give me less health or something. I dunno, weird decision but I guess it's likely to make things more fun for speed runners.

Flash shift is real cool.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Traversal is one big difference between Metroid and a lot of -vania games. For the most part, every power up in Metroid helps traversal in some way, whether it's movement options, making it easier to find new paths, or just getting past enemies more easily. Where in quite a few Metroidvania games, that can end up not being the case and some abilities really are just glorified keys to get past one obstacle that never gets seen again.

Should also note that while Metroid can be open-ended in some games, generally that's not exactly a focus. Usually it's a more linear experience whenever sequence breaking, intentional or unintentional, doesn't get involved.

While I do like Hollow Knight, I am not exactly a fan of the bloated world design, but either way I find it and Metroid to be very different experiences. I wouldn't say liking or disliking one means that the same automatically applies for the other. They're both pretty different types of search-action platformers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The ostensible reason for HK's slow movement and big areas is to create a gorgeous and lonely world, the kind of atmosphere you normally get from a soulslike, in a 2D game on an indie budget. Whether it works and whether it working is worth the price is up to the player, though. I've played HK twice, once when it first came out, and once for the DLC, and I plan to play Silksong when/if it finally gets released, but I haven't felt any particular urge to go back 'just because' since.

Edit: The game's absolutely beautiful, though, especially the OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABXga9y0B3I

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 17, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I prefer Hollow Knight’s vast and barren emptiness to the claustrophobic Castlevania maps, and I like Hollow Knight better than those games because the Castlevania games have this completely backwards idea that “farming”‘specific enemies in a 2D platformer is somehow fun. Grinding a specific skeleton or Axe Knight hundreds of times until they drop the magic spell or item you want (that you only know exists because of a GameFaqs post from 15 years ago) totally loving sucks and it’s one of the reasons I thought Bloodstained kind of sucked too.

Hollow Knight just gives you bosses to kill and then gives you items as a reward. Simple & Clean.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

What’s frustrating is I actually really liked everything else about HK but like goddamn if you’re going to make a map that big give me a few more benches so when I die I’m not spending an hour trying to backtrack to get my shade.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Bust Rodd posted:

Grinding a specific skeleton or Axe Knight hundreds of times until they drop the magic spell or item you want (that you only know exists because of a GameFaqs post from 15 years ago) totally loving sucks and it’s one of the reasons I thought Bloodstained kind of sucked too.

Yeah, I finally played Bloodstained a few months ago and was disappointed that so much of the apparently fun stuff was locked behind grind. Between that and there only being one movement ability that I obtained and thought was fun, I was deeply confused why so many people are so gaga for that game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You don't need to grind. Use what you get. It is more fun than trying to farm every drop.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I didn't grind and not much of the stuff I did happen to find was fun anyway. Combat was very stilted and janky.

Also there was one part where it was actually necessary to grind and I was irritated that I'd wasted a chunk of time because of it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I dunno why you'd bring up grinding as a point in HK's favor anyways. In my ill-spent time with that game, quite a significant part of it was spent grinding. The game's pretty big, but not big enough to spend 20 hours just on exploration

edit: many bad things and decisions in Bloodstained can be directly traced back to "it was like this in SotN"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's an ability that turns you into a laser than bounces across the stage and another that inverts the entire game world, it's not short of cool movement stuff imo

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

No Dignity posted:

There's an ability that turns you into a laser than bounces across the stage and another that inverts the entire game world, it's not short of cool movement stuff imo

There's also a required movement ability that drops off a fish at not a 100% rate that isn't signposted anywhere so it's not like it's free of bad decisions.

It does ascribe to the "well if you grind a lot you can break the game in half" mantra which is fair if that's you're thing, but meteoid has always been about Samus being a badass enough that even if you weren't pixel perfect supergamer badass you could always still finish with a reasonable amount of time/effort input.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

DelphiAegis posted:

There's also a required movement ability that drops off a fish at not a 100% rate that isn't signposted anywhere so it's not like it's free of bad decisions

I still think that the Focalor boss from Curse of the Moon was supposed to be in that general area and drop the water jet shard but got cut for some reason. It's not a *rare* drop as it is (and because it's also an attacking shard, making it 100% would make it too powerful), but if there was no boss for it it would have been better if they could somehow script it so the FIRST one was a forced drop.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah that is just a bad design decision. Surprised they never fixed it.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I normally hate grinding but I spent 30 hours grinding in Bloodstained and it was very zen. I've mostly enjoyed it in every Castlevania just cause I like to optimize the process. Only some mobs are super annoying.

Also I was lucky and the required fish drop dropped on the first one I killed, but I can see why it's be stupid for anyone else.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Y'all check out the Deedlit Record of Lodoss War game on gamepass, it's a good SotN-like - nice and compact and the buttons and systems are a lot busier (in a good way) than walking down corridors and sometimes mashing attack.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Darth Nat posted:

Hollow Knight's world is just too big and traversing it is neither easy or fun even when you're fully powered up. And I swear the fast travel points were positioned to be as inconvenient as possible. I beat it and enjoyed it enough, but I've never felt like revisiting it because traveling around the map could be such a slog.

I played through Hollow Knight and enjoyed it, but you’re right. I wish there was any point where being fully powered-up made you feel like a badass.

I also felt like the story got less good the more I learned about it. And the true end boss was so difficult it made it not fun at all. Even beating it didn’t feel good. Metroid Dread got the difficult balance exactly right where beating the end boss the first time made you feel like a huge badass.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I played through Hollow Knight and enjoyed it, but you’re right. I wish there was any point where being fully powered-up made you feel like a badass.

I also felt like the story got less good the more I learned about it. And the true end boss was so difficult it made it not fun at all. Even beating it didn’t feel good. Metroid Dread got the difficult balance exactly right where beating the end boss the first time made you feel like a huge badass.

By true final boss do you mean the final boss of the base game, or the Godmaster DLC? Because as someone who loves a good challenge in games and eagerly played through almost everything else in Hollow Knight, I don't even want to think about trying that nonsense.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’ve been having a lot of fun with Dread but the EMMI in Fermia can gently caress right off.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Bee posted:

By true final boss do you mean the final boss of the base game, or the Godmaster DLC? Because as someone who loves a good challenge in games and eagerly played through almost everything else in Hollow Knight, I don't even want to think about trying that nonsense.

Not the DLC boss, I watched videos of that. The god trapped inside the Hollow Knight. was an awful, unfun fight that made me very mad. It sucked and I hated it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I absolutely love the Metroid games. The boss battles, the exploration, discovery, etc. I’ve had people tell me that if I love Metroid, I should love Hollow Knight.

But I just can’t. I’ve tried 3 times over the last two years to get into Hollow Knight and while I love the atmosphere, the music, the presentation, etc, I find it way too stressful. Yes the enemies themselves are much harder than your average enemy in a Metroid game, but it’s the exploration. I feel like in a Metroid game I am rewarded for exploration, but in HK I can spent over an hour carefully navigating a really difficult area. Precision timing my jumps, my encounters with enemies perfectly, then die to a scrub enemy, lose my shade, all my geo, and find myself on a bench with no easy way to retrieve my shade or try again and I’m totally demoralized. A feeling I never get in a Metroid game.

So, am I just a fan of Metroid but not necessarily “Metroidvanias”? Is Metroid considered “easy” for the genre or is HK known for just being really difficult?

Hollow Knight is great, but the World/level Design could have been tightened up a lot which would have improved the overall game massively. Large areas are fine, long tunnels are fine, being forced to traverse multiple large areas connected by multiple long tunnels, multiple times throughout a playthrough isn't fun or good. Still worth picking up if you haven't played it since the boss battles are really good.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Hollow Knight is great, but the World/level Design could have been tightened up a lot which would have improved the overall game massively. Large areas are fine, long tunnels are fine, being forced to traverse multiple large areas connected by multiple long tunnels, multiple times throughout a playthrough isn't fun or good. Still worth picking up if you haven't played it since the boss battles are really good.

I stopped playing because I love exploring but then you die and you lose everything including the whole time you spent exploring. I don't have enough time to lose 30 mins to an hour of progress each time I die.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah I've tried to play Hollow Knight several times and bounced off of it. I recognize that it is an absolutely sublime game, but I just absolutely have not been able to get into the right mindset to play it simply because of how grueling it can get just to make inches worth of progress.

Like right now if I were to choose a new Metroidvania to go through, I'd probably pick Deedlit over Hollow Knight even if the latter is probably a better game (but probably just not the best game for me right now).

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Hollow Knight is my favorite game and even I have to admit that people wouldn't bounce off of it so hard if they hadn't aped the Dark Souls death mechanic for what appeared to be no reason. It works in Dark Souls for specific reasons that make it incompatible with a sidescrolling paltformer.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Bleck posted:

Hollow Knight is my favorite game and even I have to admit that people wouldn't bounce off of it so hard if they hadn't aped the Dark Souls death mechanic for what appeared to be no reason. It works in Dark Souls for specific reasons that make it incompatible with a sidescrolling paltformer.

I like Hollow Knight too but yeah that mechanic is kind of weird. And due to save points and fast travel points being fairly far apart, dying is essentially a double punishment. The first one being your lost money and that your mana is set back, the other being actually having to take the time to travel back to where you died to get back your money, and double graving just causes all that money from the first death to be permanently lost.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hollow Knight just genuinely needed a better map system. I get what they were going for but it made the basic act of exploring the unknown kind of frustrating and tedious in a way that Metroidvanias shouldn't be. Play long enough and you don't really need the map but just have a drat map that fills out normally and let the bug map dude mark important things you might have missed if you want it that way.

Also don't use a goddamn charm slot on basic functionality.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I get why people don't like the map system, but I personally loved it. Something about venturing into the unknown and figuring things out on my own for a little while before finding Cornifer and getting a clear view of where I was and where I'd been just hit really well for me. Fog Canyon was definitely a low point though, with no way to get to Cornifer until long after even I got sick of not having the map.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
All of these critiques of Hollow Knight are spot on but man was it the perfect game for me to play through for the first time while I was laid up recovering from lung surgery for a few weeks. Just a huge world to explore when I was incapable of moving around in the real world.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I absolutely did not enjoy hollow knight but it's so beautiful and atmospheric I often consider picking it up again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Such a divisive game, but Hollow Knight is one of my goats and my pick for “pinnacle of the genre”

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hollow Knight's map system is perfect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The fact that so, so, so many of Hollow Knight’s criticisms boil down to “I wish the game did more handholding, there was too much game, too much to explore, and everything makes you feel very small and powerless and far away” is so interesting to me, because those are EASILY the qualities of this game that made it so special and so important to so many people.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I really like Hollow Knight.

But most of the decisions that would infuriate me didn't impact me.

I barely died so res running just wasn't problematic and I had my best mate telling me what to do if I got too lost so the map didn't cause enough of an issue.

Bust Rodd posted:

The fact that so, so, so many of Hollow Knight’s criticisms boil down to “I wish the game did more handholding, there was too much game, too much to explore, and everything makes you feel very small and powerless and far away” is so interesting to me, because those are EASILY the qualities of this game that made it so special and so important to so many people.

It's an obstacle course wall that's *just* high enough for some people to get over and for others to be unable to do so. Those who get over the wall have a great experience because they get all the endorphins of success against a challenge, those who don't end up feeling terrible.

Typically, where I think things are more clear cut are things like save point structure. There really isn't a good reason for there not to be a bench close to most bosses, in fact, for me, it negatively impacts the game because boss difficulty has to account for people getting fewer tries across an amount of time.

If anything I'd have preferred a game with harder bosses but with save points in front of them. (Which to be fair, Godhome ascended difficulty kinda is?)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I completely understand where you’re coming from, but Hollow Knight allows you to set an “Instantly Return Here at any time” teleport magic spell, something that basically completely solves that issue, but for one reason or another a lot of folks never think to use Dreamgate in that way.

“You know, this boss has totally fragged me 2-3 times, let me just pop a dreamgate down here for a quick run back”

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Everyone complains that the compass uses a charm slot, but they also don't take note of the fact that not having the compass on doesn't actually give you enough space for more useful charms until the end of the game where you presumably know where everything is.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bust Rodd posted:

I completely understand where you’re coming from, but Hollow Knight allows you to set an “Instantly Return Here at any time” teleport magic spell, something that basically completely solves that issue, but for one reason or another a lot of folks never think to use Dreamgate in that way.

“You know, this boss has totally fragged me 2-3 times, let me just pop a dreamgate down here for a quick run back”

Oh absolutely, but the Dreamgate only shows up like halfway into the game (later or earlier depending specifically on your route)? By then most people will probably have made their call on whether they're in or out.