Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My tab hoarding resulted in me digging through the experimental Chrome settings and I was able to set both a minimum tab width (so I could read them) and scroll wheel scrolling though the list.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is this available to Edge/Opera/Chrome? My "daily driver" is Edge because I'm terribly happy with its sync between my Apple products and my Win10 products, but big research papers and PDFs are sent to my desktop so I can read them easier with my bad eyes. I use Opera and Chrome for separate things specifically but this looks more awesome (and easy to follow) than Opera's vertical tabs.

Firefox also syncs and you can send tabs between devices.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I need to find a new tab group solution for firefox, I don't actually use onetab.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

MikusR posted:

Firefox also syncs and you can send tabs between devices.

Opera does, too...but I've never "lost" a tab on Edge is all. And the main thing is: I don't want 4 browsers or more! :D But I added an extension another goon clued me into Edge on my laptop last night and it appears to work great so far.

Thanks for the inputs, folks!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Here's a super-useful software I just found: MS recently made their own undelete file recovery utility, Windows File Recovery.

Does it work? Seems ok, I recovered the things I was looking for quickly enough. But I was not giving it a difficult job: I got stuff deleted, looked on google, installed winfr from the MS store, and ran it.

Does it work well? Eh, it has an option to supposedly filter by folder location or file name/type, but it still recovered 11 GB of ... random garbage. Real files, corrupt files, other stuff that I don't know what the gently caress. It does at least sort the filter hits from the other stuff, but that was not what I was expecting from a "filter".

One note is you need more than one drive (or partition) -- it can't recover from C: to C:, you need another destination.

(Also another useful note: when writing a batch file that includes a DEL %var% command, don't test it in a folder that has stuff in it like a giant idiot. It was just a scratch folder with some misc files, I'm not so dumb as to run poo poo from the root of my C drive or anywhere else important. But it was stuff I was working on that did *not* want to be deleted just yet.)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a decent replacement for OnTopReplica? I've been using it for years, but I'm starting to have issues with it on Win10 with games that use Java.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Curious if this is something known: I tried to update my desktop to the latest win10 pro cumulative update and got this error: 0x800f081f . From what I see searching, it reads like I am missing some part of .net if the google results are correct? Is that right? Do I just need to snag a win10 ISO and install said .net?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Google Results seem to suggest this post whose first reply has a set of troubleshooting methods that seem to have helped a few of the users replying after https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cumulative-update-error-0x800f081f/5e513035-a9f1-46e2-87af-58fa890dc123

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there an easy way to get diacritical mark shortcuts that doesn't require punching in an alt code? I've been a mac user for work for a long time and am used to doing, say, option+e and then e to do é. It seems like the default way to do this in windows is to use a numeric code with alt or bring up an onscreen keyboard. Apparently it's the same for things like em-dashes?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

powderific posted:

Is there an easy way to get diacritical mark shortcuts that doesn't require punching in an alt code? I've been a mac user for work for a long time and am used to doing, say, option+e and then e to do é. It seems like the default way to do this in windows is to use a numeric code with alt or bring up an onscreen keyboard. Apparently it's the same for things like em-dashes?

Some programs have this neat system where you do ctrl+' followed by an e to produce é and other similar combinations:
ctrl+` and e for è
crtl+, and c makes ç
ctrl+shift+; (ie ctrl+:) and o for ö
etc for â ñ

It's not a wide standard though, the function is in a particular windows input & text rendering component (RichEdit32) that isn't used very much anymore.

I always thought it was a pretty great way to do that input for standard english keyboards where you need accents and such occasionally. Very easy to use, pretty much how an old-school electric typewriter did things: combine the visual symbol with the character. Always thought it was a shame that didn't catch on as a more pervasive thing.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

powderific posted:

Win+. opens a pop-up symbol/emoji keyboard, which is at least less of a hassle than the full on-screen keyboard.

Alternatively, if you use diacritical marks often, you might want to enable the US-International keyboard layout. It makes the right-hand Alt key function instead as AltGr, which you can hold down when pressing other keys to produce alternate symbols (e.g. accented letters, different currency symbols, fractional numbers). It also makes a few keys ( ` ~ ' " ^ ) act as "dead keys," which wait for your next keystroke. If the next keystroke is a letter that key can modify, you get the modified letter (e.g. typing "o produces ö). If the dead key is followed by anything else, you get two separate characters (e.g. typing "f produces "f).

Edit: instructions for enabling the US-International keyboard layout

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 6, 2022

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ahh, thank you so much, the international keyboard thing does what I want.

Klyith, something like that's what I'm used to with OSX and looks like it might work like that in word still? But yeah the international keyboard thing will be good enough for what I need.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Klyith posted:

Some programs have this neat system where you do ctrl+' followed by an e to produce é and other similar combinations:
ctrl+` and e for è
crtl+, and c makes ç
ctrl+shift+; (ie ctrl+:) and o for ö
etc for â ñ

It's not a wide standard though, the function is in a particular windows input & text rendering component (RichEdit32) that isn't used very much anymore.

I always thought it was a pretty great way to do that input for standard english keyboards where you need accents and such occasionally. Very easy to use, pretty much how an old-school electric typewriter did things: combine the visual symbol with the character. Always thought it was a shame that didn't catch on as a more pervasive thing.

Yeah, it's a shame Microsoft hasn't pushed global text shortcuts like this into the entire Windows ecosystem.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What do you guys use for cold backup these days? I use Carbonite and have been having all sorts of issues with it not recognizing files, and add that it doesn't back up video files anymore I'm looking for an alternative. It's not critical since I have OneDrive for the majority of the important files along with an external drive, but I do like having options.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Medullah posted:

What do you guys use for cold backup these days? I use Carbonite and have been having all sorts of issues with it not recognizing files, and add that it doesn't back up video files anymore I'm looking for an alternative. It's not critical since I have OneDrive for the majority of the important files along with an external drive, but I do like having options.

I switched to iDrive a couple of years ago. No complaints so far, but I haven't had to restore anything, either.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

I switched to iDrive a couple of years ago. No complaints so far, but I haven't had to restore anything, either.

I use this, too. It's fine once it's set up, though I did notice that there was a setting for backing up large files that I didn't have checked, so it wasn't backing up my movie library for a bit. I also had a lot of problems when I moved my files to a different drive (from my network to my desktop) in that it didn't recognize them as being the exact same files, so it uploaded everything again, blowing through both my storage limit and my ISPs usage limit. I had to pause uploading until the next month and manually remove duplicates to have enough storage on the server side.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

I may not be understanding what Cold Backup is but I recently started using Syncthing and I'm blown away, it's extremely unintrusive and works flawlessly. Just backing up from my phone's photo/video folder onto my NAS but you can set it up with a variety of clients.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

VelociBacon posted:

I may not be understanding what Cold Backup is but I recently started using Syncthing and I'm blown away, it's extremely unintrusive and works flawlessly. Just backing up from my phone's photo/video folder onto my NAS but you can set it up with a variety of clients.

Cold is where I'm backing up everything to the cloud, but it's not readily available like OneDrive or Dropbox.

I use FreeFileSync for local backup. :)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been very happy with backblaze. Feel kinda guilty about how much I’ve got backed up for the price. Only thing I don’t like is you have to keep external drives connected like once a month.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

powderific posted:

I’ve been very happy with backblaze. Feel kinda guilty about how much I’ve got backed up for the price. Only thing I don’t like is you have to keep external drives connected like once a month.

Yeah Backblaze B2 is great, cheap, and I can set up scheduled pushes from TrueNAS to keep things backed up without having to think about it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m just on the $7 month home backup plan. Someday I’ll get all my stuff on a NAS but for now external drives have been easier to deal with.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Cold is where I'm backing up everything to the cloud, but it's not readily available like OneDrive or Dropbox.

I use FreeFileSync for local backup. :)

CloudBerry + Google Cloud. I like that I own the encryption keys on everything and have some file versioning and retention controls.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Someone please shoot meeeee....

Is there a way to search for duplicate files (vids) that do not share the file name/file size, but length is the same?

My in laws have been taking to "archive" their old vids and photos. The bulk of this is a massive mixture of digital files (jpg and various vid formats), starting from the beginning of digital cameras around 20 years ago, DVD converted files (generally with some ripping software) and even VHS and Hi 8 converted files.

The worst thing, and this is making my life a nightmare, due to their experimenting with several programs (both commercial and "freeware" they found) over the years, many of the files they have include duplicates, spread over various drives and folders of their computer that have nothing in common in the filename.

At all.

I'm not sure if they manually typed in names at the time that the did this or if their conversion programs automatically did it.

Either way, I'm trying to get rid of the duplication and just keep the "best" - which is typically, but not always, the largest file.

So to illustrate my problem,

Let's just say the original file is (and I'm just pulling this out of my butt to illustrate)

ORIGINAL.MPG 580,000kb 24:52 length

They ran it through something and now have another file which is named

MYFILE1.MOV 325,000kb 24.52 length

and for shits and giggles they also tried it on a different program so they also have

SPYWARE2000CONVERSION.AVI 155,982KB 24.52 length

In a normal scenario, I'd just do a wildcard search over multiple directories (or even entire drive) and sort the results by length, but they have so many files, that if I manually scroll down just to find ones where lengths are the same... is painful and eye straining to the max. And even then they are not necessarily duplicates as I've discovered they have ton of vids that are the same length, to the second. It's tedious.

I'd really, really like to automate this as much as I can by something just giving results where the times match and then I can manually do it from there and ignore anything that has a unique length.

Is there a simple way to do this? Built into windows? Ideally something I can easily show them how to do it so I don't get suckered into it?

File searching is not my strong suit, but I can sorta fumble my way through but this is painful.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 10, 2022

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is the best way to do it but in a video editing or media management program it'd be easy enough to just import all of those files and sort by length. Then all the same length stuff would be grouped together. Like I could do this in Kyno and it also does subfolder drilldown thing that'd make finding stuff easier, and you can filter by duration and so on. It's $160 but there's a 30 day free trial so you could just knock out the sorting quick.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Sounds like any media library software that also delete files directly would work. VLC can sort your videos by duration but not the latter. Maybe media monkey? IIRC people always talked about it being good as a library & organizer.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Have you thinned out things by getting rid of really identical files by using a duplicate finder program that compares by hash yet? I'd start there if not.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

Have you thinned out things by getting rid of really identical files by using a duplicate finder program that compares by hash yet? I'd start there if not.

Can you recommend one of these by any chance? I have large folders to clean out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

SkyeAuroline posted:

Can you recommend one of these by any chance? I have large folders to clean out.
Totally, I've never used one but absolutely open and would appreciate recommendations!

And thanks for the ideas guys, this is a big undertaking that I volunteered for without realizing the size... I thought how hard could it be a few hundred files.

hahahahahahaha... few hundred.. :smith:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SkyeAuroline posted:

I've used the one by digital volcano because at the time I couldn't find another one that would let me select files to keep based on which top level folder they were in. I had two similar folder structures and I wanted to systematically favor keeping files in one of them over the other.

Now free software like AllDup should get you in the game of hash comparisons as well, I just don't know about how easy its selection tools are.

All these softwares have fairly poo poo interfaces, because of the many angles there are depending on what specific problem your trying to solve.

In general you definitely want to go with an iterative approach, at each time trying to think what the lowest hanging fruit is you can get rid of. Basically because your last iteration is going to involve tedious manual work selecting which files to keep. If you have too many results, make the search more specific. You want as many rounds before that where the automatic selection tools can help you. Finding duplicates by similarity of the image, which is an option I think, is something for at the very end of the process.

I can't tell offhand what metadata either program has access to for video; like bitrate would be interesting eventually.

It's always going to be a pain in the rear end though, but definitely focus on both the criteria for comparison and which automatic selection tools the program has and try to leverage those maximally.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SkyeAuroline posted:

I use Deduplicator once a month or so to delete duplicates from my desktop and OneDrive (my photos’ backup). It’s in the Microsoft Store and works ok for what I’m doing. Never tried it on anything other than iTunes music folder and Camera Roll in OneDrive, though (phone backs up completely to iCloud occasionally too, but nothing I have besides photos/music downloads is irreplaceable).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

slidebite posted:

Ideally something I can easily show them how to do it so I don't get suckered into it?

Congratulations on getting a new task that you need to do for your in laws.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats the easiest way for me to grab an audio snippet from a video these days? I assume stereo mix is still out the window

e: apparently its not. Carry on

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

slidebite posted:

Someone please shoot meeeee....

Is there a way to search for duplicate files (vids) that do not share the file name/file size, but length is the same?

AllDup has a search option for comparing the length of the audio track in music or video files (it's in the drop down for search method).
Found it very useful overall, it's been my go-to duplicate finder for a while. The UI feels a bit cluttered though.
It has a preview window as well which might come in handy, since depending on the number of files, you're likely to end up with a bunch of nonidentical files with the same length.

Quick fix is probably adding a column for media length in Windows Explorer and sort by that.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 15, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I have a Logitech M337 which is a bit hard to middle-click without scrolling the wheel down a bit.
There is one of those buttons under the wheel that does a Win+Tab.
Is there a good way to remap this to middle-click? Can AHK do that? (I already have a AHK script running to make numlock bring up SpeedCrunch.)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

~Coxy posted:

I have a Logitech M337 which is a bit hard to middle-click without scrolling the wheel down a bit.
There is one of those buttons under the wheel that does a Win+Tab.
Is there a good way to remap this to middle-click? Can AHK do that? (I already have a AHK script running to make numlock bring up SpeedCrunch.)

The normal way to do it would be logitech options software to remap the buttons. That mouse doesn't have onboard memory though, so you'd have to keep the logi software on all the time.

AHK can also probably do that, but it depends on what the mouse is sending when you press the extra button. If you make a new script file that's just this:
code:
#InstallKeybdHook
#InstallMouseHook
#Persistent
and run it, you can then open the console and use view -> key history to see if autohotkey can see the mouse button and what its identifier is. Possibly it's a literal win+tab, but also MS makes these functions into single-button windows-only buttons because they effectively control the spec.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mcbexx posted:

AllDup has a search option for comparing the length of the audio track in music or video files (it's in the drop down for search method).
Found it very useful overall, it's been my go-to duplicate finder for a while. The UI feels a bit cluttered though.
It has a preview window as well which might come in handy, since depending on the number of files, you're likely to end up with a bunch of nonidentical files with the same length.

Quick fix is probably adding a column for media length in Windows Explorer and sort by that.

Yeah, I tried the length method and it's still painful.

Alldup looks interesting, I'll check it. Thanks for mentioning it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Klyith posted:

The normal way to do it would be logitech options software to remap the buttons. That mouse doesn't have onboard memory though, so you'd have to keep the logi software on all the time.

Thanks for this, the mouse just sends a literal Alt+Tab so I'll try Options for now and see whether it's unpleasant to have installed.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Can anyone recommend a good comparison program for text files? I am liking the Notepad++ plugin less and less and really want something simple to compare and edit simple configuration files across revisions.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

SEKCobra posted:

Can anyone recommend a good comparison program for text files? I am liking the Notepad++ plugin less and less and really want something simple to compare and edit simple configuration files across revisions.

Pretty sure you can do that with Beyond compare. I've not personally used that feature though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

WinMerge is competent if basic.