Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SimonChris posted:

For the record, here is how the romantic marriage was portrayed at the time:

But then someone asked him to use they/them pronouns so he changed his mind on literally everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

readingatwork posted:

But then someone asked him to use they/them pronouns so he changed his mind on literally everything.

It's literally that "I hate to do this" Bors comic. It's actually amazing.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman 1:

Broelman 2:

Peter Broelman is filling in for Mark Knight so he included a quipping critter thing in the corner.

Warren Brown:

Benke:

Kudelka:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

How people deal with trauma is none of your loving business. gently caress you.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Mikl posted:

How people deal with trauma is none of your loving business. gently caress you.

Not to mention venting online is the only avenue open to plenty of people. See a therapist? If you even have insurance, better hope it covers that at all. Or maybe you live under someone's thumb as a minor or in an abusive relationship and don't have the means to take your health care under your own control. Like holy poo poo, gently caress him, this is the only way to reckon with personal trauma that he wants other people to have already.

Also gently caress you, Stantis, you spend most of your life fellating the people who respond to stuff like MLK Day or Black History Month with, "Har-har, where's White History Month?"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

Remember, though, crying Lady Liberty is a powerful symbol and you don't want to overuse it.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

The ring on the last finger weirds me out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The 2021 Kellies nomination thread is now live!

Nominations are due by February 7. Please nominate any cartoons from the 2021 thread in that thread, if you haven't done so already.

New This Year: Kelly's Kommandos
I need volunteers to help get wiki sours up to date. Let me know if you can help with adding material to the wiki; it's a big task, so I'm looking to split it up and do it in phases. Members of the Kelly Kommando Kre- uh, I mean, the people who help out will get a free forums upgrade of your choice.

Kellies Kategories
Note I may condense or expand categories based on nominations received.
  • Worst “A Thing Happened” Cartoon
  • Best Cartoon
  • Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon (gender)
  • Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon (race)
  • Least Concealed Bigotry in a Cartoon (all other)
  • Worst Caricature
  • Worst Covid Particle Cartoon
  • Worst Gaslighter Cartoon
  • Laziest Non-Gorrell Cartoon
  • Worst Label
  • Most Incomprehensible Cartoon
  • Worst Obituary Cartoon
  • Best Edit/Parody
  • Most Easily Reinterpreted
  • Worst Cartoon about a (non-covid) Tragedy
  • Worst Cartoon about Terrorism
  • Most Willfully Dense
  • Worst Overall

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 17, 2022

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

Jeff Danziger

Al Goodwyn

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Gary Markstein

Jack Ohman

Michael Ramirez

Tom Stiglich

One for the "If MLK Jr. were alive today he would agree with me" pile.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kellies Nomination: Most Incomprehensible Cartoon

I had to take three tries to realize the person on the left was wearing a Pelosi mask and not just some weird extra-tight mask on their mouth, and I'm still not 100% confident on what the newspaper has to do with the comic.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Raised By Birds posted:

Tom Stiglich

I'll never grow numb to these. They piss me off as much now as they ever have. Anything I could say here would be preaching to the choir, but it's just so infuriating to see this poo poo completely miss the point from every possible angle, on purpose.

"What he meant was you should never comment on race. This is also the only thing MLK ever said."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Randalor posted:

Kellies Nomination: Most Incomprehensible Cartoon

I had to take three tries to realize the person on the left was wearing a Pelosi mask and not just some weird extra-tight mask on their mouth, and I'm still not 100% confident on what the newspaper has to do with the comic.

It's "Haha, libs are hypocrites because look at all these pictures of Pelosi and other Democrats being out and about without masks."

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Sometimes all you need to do is take your tires and air them up.

A (kinky) Inflation Cartoon

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Raised By Birds posted:

Gary Markstein

It says “check one” but three of those answers are correct. :mad:

It’s obviously one of those weasel questionnaires where one side is consolidated into a single point while the other is split across overlapping categories, so they can deceptively report that the former is a plurality. I feel like there must be a word for that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

*sighs* Skelley's right.

He still sucks and is a bad cartoonist though.

I hope Stiglich gets his arms and vocal chords mangled beyond repair in an accident so he can never draw, write or speak his stupid, hateful poo poo ever again.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Raised By Birds posted:

Tom Stiglich

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

*sighs* Skelley's right.

He still sucks and is a bad cartoonist though.

I hope Stiglich gets his arms and vocal chords mangled beyond repair in an accident so he can never draw, write or speak his stupid, hateful poo poo ever again.

Skelly also has no idea what a flat tire looks like when you're holding it in the air.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Still Don't Think He's Senile?

Ted Rall posted:

The filibuster is the most powerful legislative tool available to the minority in the United States Senate. Why on earth would Democrats want to get rid of it now that there is an overwhelming likelihood they will lose control of the Senate this November?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Holy poo poo Rall really is that loving stupid, god drat.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Those two in the background are Grandma and Aunt Vera from the british political cartoonist Carl Giles. Giles was an actual Good Cartoonist who used a recurring cartoon family to comment on current events. Actually this joke is similar in style to a lot of Giles cartoons - ordinary british people joking and teasing each other about topical events - which might be why he included them as an homage.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I am 100% Rall has called Biden a senile idiot for not moving to end the filibuster, but I don’t hate myself enough to actually dig up the cartoon.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I am 100% Rall has called Biden a senile idiot for not moving to end the filibuster, but I don’t hate myself enough to actually dig up the cartoon.
Last year Rall did a similar cartoon about the filibuster so he is consistent:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Still Don't Think He's Senile?

Geez, why is Mikhail Gorbachev so against the filibuster?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The intent is to kill the filibuster and pass enough Good Bills to get votes from liberals but especially leftists who are tired of decades of excuses. Thus you hold the Senate.

The fatal flaw is that this requires Democrats to actually pass Good Bills.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Getting mad at little libraries seems a dead end. I don't think anybody views them as "just like" actual libraries.

This is a good illustration at why I have to tamper my joy about the Djockovic story: it's using the same racist edifice that Australia has built to keep out refugees. Look at that white family with their iron shield of Rules and umbrella of Strong Borders.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Gosh, I had no idea the Lil' Library was so much of a threat to real libraries. The church near my house has a Lil' Pantry, I should go yell at them.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Republicans posted:

Gosh, I had no idea the Lil' Library was so much of a threat to real libraries. The church near my house has a Lil' Pantry, I should go yell at them.

Little libraries are often pointed to as something people can do if they’re upset about their local library funding being slashed or outright closed. So what started as a cute project has morphed into yet another “Just boot strap your own social services!”

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Ow, my appendix is inflammated. I'd better go to the Lil' Hospital and operate it!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Nenonen posted:

Ow, my appendix is inflammated. I'd better go to the Lil' Hospital and operate it!

That'd be a cute name for a first aid kit.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Little libraries are often pointed to as something people can do if they’re upset about their local library funding being slashed or outright closed. So what started as a cute project has morphed into yet another “Just boot strap your own social services!”

I see the point in that it does drastically minimize all of the things a library actually does, but at the same time, I dunno. Just seems like it's yelling at clouds.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From what I've heard the dialogue in that clip is apparently an edit, what did the guy say in the actual scene out of curiosity?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Raised By Birds posted:

Tom Stiglich

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

the_steve posted:

I see the point in that it does drastically minimize all of the things a library actually does, but at the same time, I dunno. Just seems like it's yelling at clouds.

I think it's "comfortable people see a library exclusively as a place to borrow books, when actually there's more going on." The point, I believe, is less to yell at the people who are making the thing, and more to use the thing as a jumping off point to inform the reader that there is far more going on with a library than just some old books. It's a classic theme but classic themes need repeating as audiences cycle through; most people haven't been exposed to as much message-oriented media as the regulars of this thread.

It also ends on a note about private donations, here "putting lovely books you don't want in a box for people to take away," which I believe is being contrasted with "actually buying books for other people," aka what a public library does.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 17, 2022

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Boris Johnson throwing a No 10 leaving party — Boris Johnson is committed to changing the culture at Downing Street that led to staff partying and drinking while the country was in lockdown, Oliver Dowden has said"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Monty Python.

Times:

Evening Standard:

BBC licence fee to be abolished in 2027 and funding frozen

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Larryb posted:

From what I've heard the dialogue in that clip is apparently an edit, what did the guy say in the actual scene out of curiosity?

Might not be a word for word quote but it’s an entirely accurate representation of the moment, he’s misappropriating MLK and getting the poo poo kicked out of him for it

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Re; Little Free Libraries; Never really thought about them (even though I work in a public library), but like others have said, part of the criticism is that politicians might see LFLs as an alternative to public libraries. From an article I found online from the University of Toronto

quote:

They offer the story of Vinton, Texas as a “cautionary tale.”

In response to budget cuts, El Paso Public Library imposed a $50 fee on non-residents. The village of Vinton announced five new book exchanges to compensate, Hale and Schmidt say.

“This solution demonstrates that in at least one small corner of the world, politicians looked to this social enterprise as a solution to the lack of access to public library services,” they write.

The article also notes that the LFLs are, in Toronto at least, mainly located in wealthier areas that have well-funded public libraries.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Larryb posted:

The premise of the episode it's taken from is actually "I think if MLK Jr. was alive today he would..." The guy is berating MLK, who has awoken from a coma, and gets the chair right after telling him to shut up and claiming to be "fair and balanced."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_zkurs2vVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

Downes:

Wilcox:

ACCC cracks down on COVID-19 RAT price gouging (ABC). "The country's competition watch dog is referring some reports of significant price hikes on COVID-19 rapid antigen tests (RATs) to the Australian Federal Police (AFP)."

Le Lievre:

On the racquet appear to be George Christensen, Craig Kelly and Matt Canavan. Scott Morrison has been under fire for hypocrisy by talking up being tough on vaccines for border entry for Djokovic while not doing anything about the politicians in their government or vote with them with strong anti-vaxxer stances.

Warren Brown:

Spooner:

If global warming why volcanoes.