Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

It’s an interesting defence to say that his accusers don’t care about feminism, and then immediately turn around and blame it all on the conniving manipulations of A Woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People believed my wife’s lies about me just because she mentioned all the bad stuff I did. It’s all her fault that I did the bad stuff.

Where was this article published?

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006

the_steve posted:

There was the episode where Giles drugged her and then set a vampire after her so she would be forced to kill it without being able to use her "specifically for fighting and killing vampires" powers, because the Watcher Council thought that was a good way to test Slayers.

I think this is a bit weak.

It's a show where Giles is tortured, Riley is stabbed and ends up hospitalised for several episodes, Oz is regularly locked in a cage. IIRC Xander loses an eye at one point?

Buffy gets beaten up in one episode of a series about her beating people up. Not sure its a show massively focused on beating Buffy up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean even if he was a bad actor it doesn’t seem revelant to the main point

Can't be racist against someone that is a bad actor, duh

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

FightingMongoose posted:

I think this is a bit weak.

It's a show where Giles is tortured, Riley is stabbed and ends up hospitalised for several episodes, Oz is regularly locked in a cage. IIRC Xander loses an eye at one point?

Buffy gets beaten up in one episode of a series about her beating people up. Not sure its a show massively focused on beating Buffy up.

The problem is that Whedon is a sex criminal and was jacking off while writing those scenes

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Here’s the whole article, as a series of twitter images. The guy’s a monster:

https://twitter.com/Mainterrio/status/1483069934066618373/photo/1

He’d have to be a total narcissist to give that interview and think he would look like a human being. I don’t think this article could be called an attempt to rehabilitate his image, even if he thinks it was an attempt at that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Believe it or not Joss Whedon actually tried to get a cereal called wheedies made when he was at the height of power

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The origin of the Slayer is given as a bunch of (men) druids chaining a woman up and forcing her to get possessed by a demon, so they could control her and force her to fight demons. This is also the origin of the Watcher Council.

Anyway Angel was the better show and I think Joss had very little to do with it, Cordelia's character assassination notwithstanding.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

oldpainless posted:

Believe it or not Joss Whedon actually tried to get a cereal called wheedies made when he was at the height of power

Could you imagine if Buffy had come out more recently? All the lovely tie-in energy drinks and gimmick cereals at FYE?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I mean Kevin Spacey kept releasing those weird shorts with him in Frank Underwood mode, Louis CK literally just went back to work as if nothing happened, so none of that is really surprising.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

can't believe that in an attempt to rehabilitate his image joss shares with us the time he was partially responsible for a child's death; something none of us would have known if he'd simply not shared it.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

can't believe that in an attempt to rehabilitate his image joss shares with us the time he was partially responsible for a child's death; something none of us would have known if he'd simply not shared it.

Which tweet was it? I couldn't get past 'i write strong female characters because of my mom, but also maybe all my problems were from how she raised me' bs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like the part where he has a woman half his age do roleplay with him as one of the slaves from Dollhouse, and he roleplays as the owner of the slaves. And after he gets her to reveal her most painful memory to him, which was being dumped on her birthday, he dumps her on her birthday that year.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 'I obviously haven't been clear enough' stage of narcissistic meltdowns, where they've been living in their own bubble of self serving lies so long they think they just need to explain themselves properly to get everyone to shut up and worship them again, because they literally can't conceive of even having to lie anymore.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FightingMongoose posted:

IIRC Xander loses an eye at one point?

Nathan Fillion does it. He's the preacher-cult leader for the First One in Season 7, he just presses a thumb into Xander's eye until it pops.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Looking at Whedon selfimmolate again reminds me of how, 4 years ago, the patron saint of selfdestructive sadboi nerds somehow managed to go on his own podcast and properly apologize and address his harassment:

(archived)PYF Apologies that did age well

Dan Harmon posted:

I was attracted to an employee. I really want to be really careful about that language because a huge part of the problem is a culture of feeling things that you think are unique and significant because they are happening to you and saying things like “I had feelings for” and “I fell for” and all these things. The most clinical way I can put it in ’fessing up to my crimes is that I was attracted to a writer that I had power over because I was a showrunner, and I knew enough to know that these feelings were bad news. That was easy enough to know. I knew that they ran the risk of undercutting people’s faith in my judgement, her faith in her talent, the other writers’ respect for me, the entire production, the audience. I knew that I wasn’t doing anybody any favors by feeling these things, and so I did the cowardly, easiest, laziest thing you could do with feelings like that, and I didn’t deal with them. And in not dealing with them, I made everybody else deal with them. Especially her.

Flirty, creepy. Everything other than overt enough to constitute betraying your live-in girlfriend to whom you’re going home every night who’s actually smart enough and respectful enough to ask you, “Do you have feelings for that young writer that you’re talking about, that you’re paying all this attention to?” and saying to her, “No,” because the trick is, if you lie to yourself, you can lie to everybody. It’s really easy.

And so that’s what I continued to do, telling myself and anybody that threatened to confront me with it that if you thought what I was doing was creepy or flirty or unprofessional, then it’s because you were the sexist. You were jealous. I was supporting this person, I’m a mentor. I’m a feminist. It’s your problem, not mine, that you’re the one who’s seeing things through that lens. And so I let myself keep doing it.

It’s not as if this person didn’t repeatedly communicate to me the idea that what I was doing was divesting her of a recourse to integrity. I just didn’t hear it because it didn’t profit me to hear it, and this was, after all, happening to me. And so after a season of playing it that way, I broke up with my girlfriend, who I had lied to the whole time, while lying to myself. Lied to her about why I was breaking up with her, because I thought that would make having inappropriate feelings for a co-worker appropriate, if I wasn’t involved.

I want you to be the one to examine this every step of the way and decide for yourself where I’m making mistakes. I don’t want to explain to you what I’ve learned. I want you to look at this and I want it to sound relatively unremarkable to you, because that’s the danger.

I broke up with my girlfriend, then I went full-steam into creeping on my employee. Now I wasn’t in danger of being “a bad person,” and then after that season I got overt about my feelings because it was wrapped and said “I love you,” and she said the same thing she’d been saying the entire time in one language or another: “Please, don’t you understand that focusing on me like this, liking me like this, preferring me like this, I can’t say no to it, and when you do it, it makes me unable to know whether I’m good at my job.”

And because I finally got to the point where I said to her, “I love you,” because that’s what I thought it was, when you target somebody for two years and was therefore rejected that way, I was humiliated, and so I continued to do the cowardly thing and continued to do the selfish thing. Now I wanted to teach her a lesson. I wanted to show her that if she didn’t like being liked in that way, then, oh boy, she should get over herself. After all, if you’re just gonna be a writer, then this is how “just writers” get treated. And that was probably the darkest of it all. I’m gonna assume that when she tweets about it and refers to “trauma” that that’s probably it, because I drank. I took pills. I crushed on her and resented her for not reciprocating it, and the entire time I was the one writing her paychecks and in control of whether she stayed or went and whether she felt good about herself or not, and said horrible things. Just treated her cruelly, pointedly. Things that I would never, ever, ever have done if she had been male and if I had never had those feelings for her. And I lied to myself the entire time about it, and I lost my job. I ruined my show. I betrayed the audience. I destroyed everything, and I damaged her internal compass.

And I moved on. And I never did it before, and I will never do it again, but I certainly wouldn’t have been able to do it if I had any respect for women on a fundamental level. I was thinking about them as different creatures. I was thinking about the ones that I liked as having some special role in my life, and I did it all by not thinking about it.

So I just wanna say, in addition to obviously being sorry, but that’s really not the important thing, I wanna say I did it by not thinking about it, and I got away with it by not thinking about it. And if she hadn’t mentioned something on Twitter, I would’ve continued to not have to think about it[/b), although I did walk around with my stomach in knots about it, but I wouldn’t have had to talk about it.

The last and most important thing I can say is just: Think about it. No matter who you are at work, no matter where you’re working, no matter what field you’re in, no matter what position you have over or under or side by side with somebody, just think about it. [ b]You gotta, because if you don’t think about it, you’re gonna get away with not thinking about it, and you can cause a lot of damage that is technically legal and hurts everybody.
And I think that we’re living in a good time right now, because we’re not gonna get away with it anymore. And if we can make it a normal part of our culture that we think about it and possibly talk about it, then maybe we can get to a better place where that stuff doesn’t happen. So that’s it. Please don’t hurt her. Please don’t make this worse on anybody but me, and let’s move on. I’m bad at ending things.

Paracaidas has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Jan 17, 2022

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I AM GRANDO posted:

He’d have to be a total narcissist to give that interview and think he would look like a human being. I don’t think this article could be called an attempt to rehabilitate his image, even if he thinks it was an attempt at that.

Jesus loving Christ.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Which tweet was it? I couldn't get past 'i write strong female characters because of my mom, but also maybe all my problems were from how she raised me' bs

1st pic in tweet 3. When he was 5 he invited a 4 year old kid to play in a pond where he drowned. He doesn’t feel responsible because he was 5 which is completely fair play but also you did not need to tell anyone who wasn’t your therapist this.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

1st pic in tweet 3. When he was 5 he invited a 4 year old kid to play in a pond where he drowned. He doesn’t feel responsible because he was 5 which is completely fair play but also you did not need to tell anyone who wasn’t your therapist this.

Jfc "mommy didn't teach *me* to swim after I drowned a boy" is definitely not what the therapist intended him to take from that experience

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

"Communism is all over the place" is such a silly phrase even if it wasn't trying to sound all portentous.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why not just link the article, this is the worst possible way to try and read something, lol

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Reminder, sexual abuser Joss Whedon wasn't allowed to be alone in the room with teenage Michelle Trachtenberg.

Joss Whedon has been accused of many things which are probably true. He cheated on his wife, he is verbally abusive, and is known for hounding actors/actresses he doesn't like with vindictive writing. But he hasn't been accused of sexual harassment or misconduct .

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
uhhh yes he has

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sweet geek swag posted:

Joss Whedon has been accused of many things which are probably true. He cheated on his wife, he is verbally abusive, and is known for hounding actors/actresses he doesn't like with vindictive writing. But he hasn't been accused of sexual harassment or misconduct .

He pestered his employees for sex and tried to gently caress fans and people sent to interview him. I don’t know the precise criteria for misconduct in this context, but that’s 100% sexual harassment.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

moonmazed posted:

uhhh yes he has

Edit: apparently I did miss something.
I wasn't aware that he had those accusations. They didn't come up when I googled it

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Jfc "mommy didn't teach *me* to swim after I drowned a boy" is definitely not what the therapist intended him to take from that experience

His therapist could have been a feminist also, telling him how it's his mothers fault for being 'weak' and not 'strong'.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He couldn't be in a room alone with Michelle Trachtenberg.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

I wasn't aware that he had those accusations. They didn't come up when I googled it

I don't know what the context for "don't let this man be alone in the room with a female teen" means to you but to me that's 100% he is a serial sexual harasser and a danger to the safety of the female actors.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He did sleazily proposition his subordinates. And women sent to interview him. Check out the part where he has a sexual relationship with a reporter that involves her role-playing one of the sex slaves from Dollhouse and him playing the owner of the sex slaves.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

pentyne posted:

I don't know what the context for "don't let this man be alone in the room with a female teen" means to you but to me that's 100% he is a serial sexual harasser and a danger to the safety of the female actors.

My context would be that I would not let my child work in a situation where they were working subordinate to a known sexual harrasser, so I assumed it had to be something else. If I had that situation and learned that he was screaming abuse at everyone on set I very well might say he couldn't be alone with my daughter. Michelle Trachtenberg's parents aren't that scrupulous it seems.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

I read it as more "I hadn't even been taught to swim, why were we allowed to be at the pool without any adults around?"

Which is actually a perfectly legitimate question, IMO.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

christmas boots posted:

I read it as more "I hadn't even been taught to swim, why were we allowed to be at the pool without any adults around?"

Which is actually a perfectly legitimate question, IMO.

Yeah Whedon has plenty of stuff you can make fun of him for, this seems like it’s a big stretch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dr Christmas posted:

"Communism is all over the place" is such a silly phrase even if it wasn't trying to sound all portentous.

it's all over the walls, on the ceiling, under the tiles

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's all over the walls, on the ceiling, under the tiles

the ending of the American Dad episode wherein the Smiths’ home becomes a bed and breakfast, but instead of poo poo Steve’s finding communism everywhere

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

He did sleazily proposition his subordinates. And women sent to interview him. Check out the part where he has a sexual relationship with a reporter that involves her role-playing one of the sex slaves from Dollhouse and him playing the owner of the sex slaves.

that's not a roleplaying relationship. the text doesn't make it totally explicit unless you know what was up, but they were doing a BDSM thing that is basically irl Dollhouse.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Arivia posted:

that's not a roleplaying relationship. the text doesn't make it totally explicit unless you know what was up, but they were doing a BDSM thing that is basically irl Dollhouse.

So? Who cares about kink poo poo? Harassing employees is the gross thing here.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well, people half his age sent to write feature stories about him. Still extremely unethical.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

sweet geek swag posted:

You should definitely actually read that linked article before trying to clear him of being a sexual abuser. Unless you are a victim yourself in which case definitely don't.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

Well, people half his age sent to write feature stories about him. Still extremely unethical.

That's unethical all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sweet geek swag posted:

Joss Whedon has been accused of many things which are probably true. He cheated on his wife, he is verbally abusive, and is known for hounding actors/actresses he doesn't like with vindictive writing.

Things that also haven't aged well: my humorous anecdote about how Tim Minear had me killed for criticising Angel.