Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Hunt11 posted:

I saw it happen on console versions so it can't be a mod.

Huh, I guess I just coincidentally only got them on abandoned city maps. I figured that was intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I played the same rescue mission earlier tonight before I watched your vid and I did the exact same strategy with blowing up the back wall to escape. Except mine worked because I aimed the grenade at a regular wall (not the prison walls) and it let all of my soldiers go out the back in one turn instead of having to go through the enemy reinforcements that got dropped right in front of the door.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The "I'm supposed to save lives, not take them... and in this case, I believe we saved a great many. She got the medicine she deserved." has lead me to here: https://www.scribd.com/document/30641738/soundMachine-beta06

I believe what I have found might be a data dump, so the line seems to originate from a mod of Jagged Alliance 2.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also: was that a model of the interceptors in the cabinet in the bar? I rarely visit it so I never noticed it before

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I was going to suggest a mod that exists out there to make the Lost HP bar a different color (green, like their targeting icons) than Advent, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what it is called.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like Total Combat, personally. I find it very handy for when I need the skirmisher to do a full move, but this lets them also throw a grenade in that turn as well. It's part of how I use skirmishers as hyper-mobile utility characters.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

GuavaMoment posted:

Oh, you are posting these. Then let me preface:

PLAY THIS GAME BEFORE WATCHING THE STREAM
THE LESS YOU KNOW ABOUT OUTER WILDS THE MORE YOU WILL ENJOY PLAYING IT

I hope the audience of people watching this is people who have played before, attempting to relive the joy of discovering new things through Jade and to see what he does in what order. (Like go to Brittle Hollow first like a lunatic...)

Are spoilers for Outer Wilds likely to crop up in the thread in response to the stream? Can posters use spoiler tags (with an indication they’re Outer Wilds spoilers and not WotC spoilers)? I know I wouldn’t want to be reading an LP of one game and stumbled across spoilers for a different game.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I like Total Combat, personally. I find it very handy for when I need the skirmisher to do a full move, but this lets them also throw a grenade in that turn as well. It's part of how I use skirmishers as hyper-mobile utility characters.
Total Combat is kind of a C-tier ability to me. It's has some uses but isn't stellar - but it's competing against a poo poo ability in Reflex, so I'll often end up taking it if there's no good X-Com option rolled in the tier.

Also, it wasn't mentioned in the video but Reflex is actually worse than you were describing, because it only triggers once per mission. So you get one bonus action point over the entire course of a mission and you can't really control when you get said bonus action point.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bremen posted:

I've never seen Lost on a city center map, is that a mod? I thought you could only get that sitrep on the abandoned pre-invasion cities maps.

Thing is, that wasn't a city center map, that was a slums map. Maybe it's like, someplace ADVENT were about to turn into one of those city centers, but then abandoned it or something. And maybe it's dilapidated enough that some roaming Lost end up moving in there. Or maybe it's just something we shouldn't think about too hard. :v:

Oh and as for the lost and ADVENT just chilling out: In my experience, they will activate and aggro on eachother even while you're still concealed, but only if you have direct vision on both of them when you end your turn. From what I saw in the video, Jade only had ADVENT units visible when he ended his turn before going loud, so nothing happened.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 17, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Also: was that a model of the interceptors in the cabinet in the bar? I rarely visit it so I never noticed it before
Yes it is

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Nordick posted:

Thing is, that wasn't a city center map, that was a slums map. Maybe it's like, someplace ADVENT were about to turn into one of those city centers, but then abandoned it or something. And maybe it's dilapidated enough that some roaming Lost end up moving in there. Or maybe it's just something we shouldn't think about too hard. :v:

Oh and as for the lost and ADVENT just chilling out: In my experience, they will activate and aggro on eachother even while you're still concealed, but only if you have direct vision on both of them when you end your turn. From what I saw in the video, Jade only had ADVENT units visible when he ended his turn before going loud, so nothing happened.

Sometimes "jake" is a four letter word. :v:

Still funny to remember the literal corner case where the Archon King got trapped between a dumpster, the map-edge, and a pack of Lost. Apparently fliers still need a walkable path in order to create their patrol route, so even though AK could have just flown out of there he did not. And I guess Lost don't attack rulers when idling? Either way i'd finished the objectives but it took an extra 20 minutes to end the mission because I had to search blindspots all over the map to find the obscure alley they were in, and they just stood there doing nothing for several turns while I reassembled the team.

On the plus side having the King completely immobile gave me the initiative to begin the encounter by bombing him into a firing squad (since going on overwatch doesn't trigger a Ruler Reaction if your soldier is out of their LOS)

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Just out of curiosity what's the mod you're getting the synthwave combat music from? It's pretty nice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MShadowy posted:

Just out of curiosity what's the mod you're getting the synthwave combat music from? It's pretty nice.

That's from the Tactical Legacy Pack DLC. It comes with a soundtrack based on the original XCOM: UFO Defense, and adds a menu option to change which music plays in the game.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Narsham posted:

Can posters use spoiler tags (with an indication they’re Outer Wilds spoilers and not WotC spoilers)? I know I wouldn’t want to be reading an LP of one game and stumbled across spoilers for a different game.

I think this is fair, and would ask that people label and spoiler tag any Outer Wilds discussion.

OW: It's so good go play it!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Flair posted:

The "I'm supposed to save lives, not take them... and in this case, I believe we saved a great many. She got the medicine she deserved." has lead me to here: https://www.scribd.com/document/30641738/soundMachine-beta06

I believe what I have found might be a data dump, so the line seems to originate from a mod of Jagged Alliance 2.

It's definitely a line from JA2, and plays when Danny MD is present when Deidranna, the big bad, is killed, IIRC. Man, if I'd known the JA2 voicepack was an option I would have given my toon the Malice voice...

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 18, 2022

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Canuck-Errant posted:

Man, if I'd known the JA2 voicepack was an option I would have given my toon the Malice voice...

you misspelled Ira Smythe voice. It's okay, happens to the best of us.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Because of course i have; Reinstalled Xcom 2 and morbid curiosity brought me to trying long war of the chosen. I'm sure as poo poo looking for ways to tune down its grindy nonsense and welcome for any suggestions but I always did like the idea of infiltrating sites and having a deeper geoscape phase.

Also gently caress me i forgot how hard the remake ufo defence ost slaps. :dance:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Thyrork posted:

Because of course i have; Reinstalled Xcom 2 and morbid curiosity brought me to trying long war of the chosen. I'm sure as poo poo looking for ways to tune down its grindy nonsense and welcome for any suggestions but I always did like the idea of infiltrating sites and having a deeper geoscape phase.

Also gently caress me i forgot how hard the remake ufo defence ost slaps. :dance:

You probably want to turn off Chosen reactions (Yes, LWOTC Chosen get ruler reactions, though they "only" trigger when the Chosen takes damage) or disable Chosen entirely, both are under advanced options, and possibly disable rulers somehow. Both work differently in LWOTC, Chosen only appear on retaliation missions (and at full strength make retaliation missions into very dangerous missions some people try to avoid at all costs, which can be done in LWOTC since there are prerequisites to get them) and rulers show up as sitreps in mission planning so you know to pack your frost bomb and stuff, but are also really hard and can be devastating if you don't understand their abilities well.

There are also second wave options to enable your soldiers to take multiple perks of the same rank with AP (normally disabled since there are some extremely powerful combos) and to enable resistance orders (normally disabled because the Devs didn't want to completely rebalance things again), both of which will make the game much easier if you like.

IMHO LWOTC isn't as brutal as some people make it out to be, but it can definitely be unforgiving until you have a good understanding of the mechanics. I'm currently playing a game on Veteran with none of the above options and it's going alright so far, but I watched an Ironman Impossible LP for help.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 19, 2022

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Bremen posted:

You probably want to turn off Chosen reactions (Yes, LWOTC Chosen get ruler reactions, though they "only" trigger when the Chosen takes damage) or disable Chosen entirely, both are under advanced options, and possibly disable rulers somehow. Both work differently in LWOTC, Chosen only appear on retaliation missions (and at full strength make retaliation missions into very dangerous missions some people try to avoid at all costs, which can be done in LWOTC since there are prerequisites to get them) and rulers show up as sitreps in mission planning so you know to pack your frost bomb and stuff, but are also really hard and can be devastating if you don't understand their abilities well.

There are also second wave options to enable your soldiers to take multiple perks of the same rank with AP (normally disabled since there are some extremely powerful combos) and to enable resistance orders (normally disabled because the Devs didn't want to completely rebalance things again), both of which will make the game much easier if you like.

IMHO LWOTC isn't as brutal as some people make it out to be, but it can definitely be unforgiving until you have a good understanding of the mechanics. I'm currently playing a game on Veteran with none of the above options and it's going alright so far, but I watched an Ironman Impossible LP for help.

The chosen didn't come with reactions baseline right? Defo not removing them because I really like what they add and murdering them for their stuff is a plus too.

What's resistance orders again?

Think I'll do mine on rookie, maybe with twice as long AVATAR project.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why can the chosen bods contact you on the boat? This is some Ace Combat level comms chatter opsec.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

Why can the chosen bods contact you on the boat? This is some Ace Combat level comms chatter opsec.

Space magic/tech and yeah it can be fun to hear them react to what you are getting up to on the campaign level.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I always install a mod to make the Chosen stop talking.

It's one of my biggest irritations with X-COM 2: People never loving shut up.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Thyrork posted:

The chosen didn't come with reactions baseline right? Defo not removing them because I really like what they add and murdering them for their stuff is a plus too.

What's resistance orders again?

Think I'll do mine on rookie, maybe with twice as long AVATAR project.

No, chosen definitely don't have reactions baseline. Resistance orders are the Civ 6 policy cards you get for improving your relationships with resistance factions and get to swap out at the end of the month; Jade in the LP is currently using the one that makes all attacks on Lost an instant kill. By default you don't get those in LWOTC but it's an advanced option.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
gently caress defo re-enabling that, I actually liked it a bunch.

goatface posted:

"WHOEVERS OUTSIDE THE AVENGER YELLING AT ME TO LOG OFF, LEAVE, I WILL NEVER LOG OFF!" or however that goes.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The Chosen are obviously broadcasting to the entire planet, in the clear, when they bitch at you, some poor HAM radio nerd in the rear end end of nowhere is wondering what the gently caress is that guy whining about burgers and honor all about.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Thyrork posted:

"WHOEVERS OUTSIDE THE AVENGER YELLING AT ME TO LOG OFF, LEAVE, I WILL NEVER LOG OFF!" or however that goes.

"-I WILL FACE THE ELDERS AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL-"

"it is with a heavy heart that I must announce that the humans are at it again"

"joke's on you; i actually love being shot by one dozen perfect overwatches. and my mouth isn't filled with bloodm, it's victory wine"

"issuing correction on a previous broadcast of mine, regarding the terror group XCOM. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them" "

Man, do the voice actors have Cameo accounts?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I got a little further into the expansion, and they sure do seem to have been going for a Star Trek TNG cast reunion or something

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

LashLightning posted:

"issuing correction on a previous broadcast of mine, regarding the terror group XCOM. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them" "

I mentally heard the Speaker saying this and it put the biggest and dumbest grin on my face. :allears:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

LashLightning posted:

Brandon Keener (the Speaker) doesn't seem to.

But Jon Bailey sure as hell does :getin:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Kyrosiris posted:

I mentally heard the Speaker saying this and it put the biggest and dumbest grin on my face. :allears:

"Citizens of ADVENT, I come to you to inform you of the lies spread by this so called XCom organization; that they will not, in fact, 'Give it to you'"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Citizens of ADVENT, many of you have asked whether you can gently caress the snakes. I tell you now, they won't even let ME gently caress the snakes."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ablative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q0HsCRjPlo

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I can just hear that assassin Chosen now:

"What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I was recruited first into the Chosen, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on X-Com, and I have over 300 confirmed kills..."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I mean, there's always the former OverEnglishman (now known as Edit:Ed) with his Modded Beyond Reason series; he does pretty drat good impressions of all three Chosen, and his Speaker impression is so spot-on that on a few occasions, he has people genuinely fooled until he comes out with something meme-y.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Ablative posted:

https://www.cameo.com/epicvoiceguy
That's....fairly reasonable for a price as far as cameos go.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

AltaBrown posted:

I can just hear that assassin Chosen now:

"What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I was recruited first into the Chosen, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on X-Com, and I have over 300 confirmed kills..."

She was actually the last of the three. The warlock came first and went kookoo for coco puffs. Then they made the Hunter, who turned out as an rear end in a top hat that didn't give two figs about them. Finally they made the assassin who had the loyalty of the warlock without the crazy. But she hosed up capturing the rogue skirmishers, so they hate her too. In short it's canon that the chosen are a bunch of fuckups hated by their creators.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

That tracks, their official deal from the Elders is “whichever of you idiots fixes your gently caress-ups first can have our garbage when we leave and throw it away”

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I mean, there's always the former OverEnglishman (now known as Edit:Ed) with his Modded Beyond Reason series; he does pretty drat good impressions of all three Chosen, and his Speaker impression is so spot-on that on a few occasions, he has people genuinely fooled until he comes out with something meme-y.

Links to good examples?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

GuavaMoment posted:

https://www.cameo.com/epicvoiceguy
That's....fairly reasonable for a price as far as cameos go.

We're going to have to talk about this and see how many lines we can get for fifty bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

(accidentaly fires entire assault rifle magazine into a wall with 100% accuracy rate) alright. thats fine. heres what i think happened, [1/82]