Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Gaunab posted:

Which scene is that?

it was the dinner scene, but it wasn't the Avengers, but Thor who would look up at Kingo when he was a child. And Odin was good friends with some of them. Or something :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lobok posted:

One thing that's potentially good about a sequel is that there will be, or should be, fewer members of the team. A lot of the movie was about introducing an Infinity War-size team and bringing the band back together.

Also, question for the post-credits scene (guess I'll spoiler it?) What is Black Knight supposed to appear in next? That was Ali's voice at the end, so is he going to be part of Blade? I know the Ebony Blade (lol) is cursed so is Blade going to be the centre of a different corner of the MCU with supernatural / dark / horror stuff, separate from Strange?
I would assume that he shows up in Blade, whenever that gets made. Right now it doesn't have a release date. I can't think of anything else that would make sense for him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It seems a bit weird how Arishem made Sprite an eternal child though. Like, why would he do that? Just to be a dick?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alhazred posted:

It seems a bit weird how Arishem made Sprite an eternal child though. Like, why would he do that? Just to be a dick?
Probably

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Desperado Bones posted:

it was the dinner scene, but it wasn't the Avengers, but Thor who would look up at Kingo when he was a child. And Odin was good friends with some of them. Or something :P
I kinda liked that bit. Either Kingo's inflating his own importance, which is on-brand for him, or he's telling the truth, in which case it's a charming addition to both characters.

Asking for spinoffs is a bit gauche nowadays, but I'd love a spinoff where we followed a bunch of these ageless MCU characters across time. So at one point -- during the Renaissance or whenever -- you have Thor, Loki, the Eternals, the Ancient One, Wenwu...and, hell, Sigourney Weaver from the Netflix shows all having met up to do...something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alhazred posted:

He also made Makkari deaf.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Ikaris has laser eyes, strength, and flight. And then Kingo just has hand guns. Arishem's design decisions is definitely suspect.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

iceyman posted:

Ikaris has laser eyes, strength, and flight. And then Kingo just has hand guns. Arishem's design decisions is definitely suspect.

Excuse you, Kingo is also, according to the MCU wiki, blessed with the power of 'Master Acting'.

He's not even famous on his own merit, he just has magic acting powers, his one thing not hand gun related is also a dumb magic space power

Being Kingo is pain

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think that's actually supposed to be a "power" he has, it's just another instance of fan wikis being dumb. It's like how people joke that Batman's superpower is "being rich" even though that's not something you're born wi--okay, you know what, bad example

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Arishem didn't have a coffee cup head ergo it's the worst film ever imo.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Finally watched Eternals and uh… I kinda enjoyed the hell out of it? :shrug:

Yeah it’s a mess in places and half the characters are ancillary, but it’s weird in all the right ways and it didn’t even feel like a normal MCU movie until the mid-credits thing. It’s also weirdly pretty and the action was shot pretty well for once.

Most of the cast is decent-to-great, but I was surprised by how good Angelina Jolie was in this. I figured it would just be a paycheck role for her, but she’s one of the better characters in the movie.

Parkingtigers posted:

I just finished rewatching it, and the pacing issues are almost completely gone on a second viewing. It’s still a very beautiful film with actual things to say on what it is to be human and I will forever be sulky that Marvel trying something deeper and more thoughtful is what makes all the critics turn on them.

In all seriousness, these two sum up my feelings. I really liked it, even if it didn't always hit all the notes it was going for. I dug the back and forth narrative across the centuries, enjoyed most of the cast, there were some really gorgeous shots and imagery at times (though it was also a bit gloomy in places, felt like all Thena's fight scenes were in near darkness - maybe it was just my TV settings). I figured there was going to be a heel turn but I figured it was totally going to be Druig, not Ikaris, so that was a nice surprise, and the fight with Makkari zipping about battering him was great to see. I also thought I'd been spoiled that Kingo dies but he just fucks off because he's an obedient robot and poor Gilgamesh snuffs it instead, boooo. Honestly, I spent the whole thing expecting Druig and Sersi to try and gently caress everyone over and was so glad to be wrong.

Could have done with all the Dane Whitman stuff - save it for another film - and Arishem sounding like some guy next door with added bass felt wrong and ungodly, neither of the credits reveals worked for me, and yes, the main conflict is basically just Surfer/Galactus but eh. In any case, I'd totally be up to see them return.

Also, seeing a fight kick off between some alien dog thing and not-Superman in Camden Town will never not be hilarious to me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The way Thanos is in the MCU made my brain unable to process that post-credit scene. And it's the guy from One Direction which was even more insane to me.

I like Jon Snow though, so I was glad to have him around.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Makkari was by far the coolest speedster (from a combat perspective). She was putting in work on Ikaris. I really liked that.

The Ikaris heel turn was great, they should have focused on that and discarded the Deviants after the reveal. The super evolved Deviant felt superfluous and stupid.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

mikeraskol posted:

Makkari was by far the coolest speedster (from a combat perspective). She was putting in work on Ikaris. I really liked that.

The Ikaris heel turn was great, they should have focused on that and discarded the Deviants after the reveal. The super evolved Deviant felt superfluous and stupid.

I was okay with it. The super Deviant is mostly there not to be a threat, so much as to be another aggrieved voice at being just playthings of the gods, sent to do their bidding. I can see how some people weren't happy at him being a poor villain, but he's not even a villain, just a force of nature unleashed by Arishem doing what he was taught (programmed/instructed) to do. The evolution isn't to make him deadlier, it's to make him more self-aware and vocal. He does also serve the purpose of breaking up the final fight so that he can provide *some* threat while Ikaris gets a timeout from Phastos.

I'd go further and say there are no villains in this film. The deviants are just being true to their nature, Arishem is a god trying to birth more gods to create life, and Ikaris is just following faith and duty to its painful extremes until it comes up against the unbreechable wall of his love for Sersi. His anguish at what he has done, and what he has become, is tangible, Madden killed those scenes and on rewatch there's a real sense of that constant internal conflict.

While I'm on the subject of this good as hell film, the other bit of the rewatch that really got me was Phastos and his little family home. When his husband comes out and tells him that he has to go, to just try and buy a chance of their son getting to grow up and live his own life, and that song plays as he puts his son to bed and kisses his husband goodbye... man, they finally did a prominent gay main character and it was one of the most emotionally rewarding moments in the MCU. Leave me, go and run towards danger, because our son needs you to... Phastos then going to loving town on Ikaris because he's fighting not to save the world, but to save his world... so drat good. Between that and Makkari being so angry at Ikaris battering Druig she's hitting him with sonic booms, it was one of the most emotionally investing fights in these films.

I swear, the more I think about this film the more I like it. Felt that way after first viewing. Confirmed it after the rewatch. If anyone wants me I'll be on this hill defending this film for the foreseeable future.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Deviants was completely unecessary. By the time the super deviant says that the Eternals are not heroes they already know it. It's not like Captain Marvel where learning that the Skrulls saying that they wasn't the enemy were the big twist. Then he just goes away and comes back just to get killed. The Deviants adds nothing but added runtime. A better twist would've been if Ikaris and Sprite together had tricked the others to believe that the Deviants were back and let them chase an enemy that wasn't there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alhazred posted:

The Deviants was completely unecessary. By the time the super deviant says that the Eternals are not heroes they already know it. It's not like Captain Marvel where learning that the Skrulls saying that they wasn't the enemy were the big twist. Then he just goes away and comes back just to get killed. The Deviants adds nothing but added runtime. A better twist would've been if Ikaris and Sprite together had tricked the others to believe that the Deviants were back and let them chase an enemy that wasn't there.

Yeah but how? You'd need some kind of illusion power for that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SonicRulez posted:

I think some critics being harsh on the movie has made you forget it still made a zillion dollars and Disney will favor that over anything else.

Eh it wouldn't be the first time a Disney movie was successful financially but the fan/critical reaction, deserved or not, made them panic and either cancel sequel plans or make a far worse movie by trying to overcorrect

What I'm saying is Eternals 2 will start with "Somehow Thanos has returned!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not just about pure box office numbers. TASM 2 made several hundred million dollars.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Alhazred posted:

the script manifestly has no idea what it's doing with the Deviants, and that's really one of my biggest gripes. it even sets up a fairly obvious way that they could have tied back into the primary conflict and themes of the film but does nothing with it

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Parkingtigers posted:

I swear, the more I think about this film the more I like it. Felt that way after first viewing. Confirmed it after the rewatch. If anyone wants me I'll be on this hill defending this film for the foreseeable future.

I'll be next to you. Because I liked it a lot (and my family did to! They were stuck to the screen thanks to the drama lol And even my elderly mother who isn't that much into MCU stuff).

And now I'm saddened I didn't have the chance to see it on a movie theater. :( I hope they do re-screenings years after all this pandemic bullshit it's 100% endemic and we have super-vaccines.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It was even good in 3D. The landscapes looked really nice and expansive. Especially during the third act.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The thing I kept wondering about was how Arishem said "One every billion years" about when the Celestials are born, but the Eternals are only on Earth for seven thousand years and it's implied they get memory wiped and do missions more or less continuously. What else are they doing? And if the Deviants are a failed experiment, wouldn't Arishem just stop seeding planets with them? Or was Earth their trial run?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I believe the idea is that the Deviants may have been a failed experiment on their own, but adding Eternals into the equation had balanced out the problem so that the overall process is satisfactory now, by the Celestials' standards.

Like, even if the Deviants go a bit overboard, the Celestials do still want the original apex predators on a planet to be trimmed down so that sentience could emerge. That's still necessary for their goals.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wrong thread

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

https://youtu.be/x7Krla_UxRg

Dick Van Dyke ahoy in new Moon Knight trailer

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I believe the idea is that the Deviants may have been a failed experiment on their own, but adding Eternals into the equation had balanced out the problem so that the overall process is satisfactory now, by the Celestials' standards.

Arishem basically added snakes to eat the lizards, then gorillas to eat the snake and then hoped that the gorillas would freeze to death during the winter.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 18, 2022

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Alhazred posted:

Arishem basically added snakes to eat the lizards, then gorillas to eat the snake and then hoped that the gorillas would freeze to death during the winter.

"so anyway I accidentally invented Spyro the dragon, Kingo go throw some space hadokens at it"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Amazing. Willem Dafoe is hosting SNL at the end of the month.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Also on the NWH tip, I dig this quote from Andrew Garfield:

"Emma kept on texting me, and she was like, 'Are you in this new Spider-Man film?' And, I was like, 'I don't know what you're talking about.' She was like, 'Shut up, just tell me.' I'm like, 'I honestly don't know.' I kept it going, even with her. It was hilarious,'" Garfield said. "Then, she saw it, and she was like, 'you're a jerk.'"

The mental image of Emma Stone spamming her ex with texts over this is just hilarious to me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Batman's runtime has been announced:

2 hours and 55 minutes

f'n hell

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Davros1 posted:

The Batman's runtime has been announced:

2 hours and 55 minutes

f'n hell

Movies are too long

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
should just split it into batman riddle wars and batman endgame

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I cannot imagine any reason for a Batman movie to be that long goddamn

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

I cannot imagine any reason for a Batman movie to be that long goddamn

Everytime he suits up it's shown in real time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

First 30 minutes is the Wayne's murder

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Idfc anymore, I like long movies. Small bladder weaklings can just wait until it’s streaming.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

20 minutes of slow motion bullets traveling through the Waynes

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
while hallelujah plays

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

while hallelujah plays

Okay but only if it's a really bad new cover.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Idfc anymore, I like long movies. Small bladder weaklings can just wait until it’s streaming.

:hmmyes:

As long as it's entertaining be as long as you want. Title of your sextape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

20 minutes of slow motion bullets traveling through the Waynes

How long can you film pearls dropping to the ground?