Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

External Organs posted:

Y'all know there's like a taxi system right

Yes, that's also usually halfway away from where I am currently.

I sunk a couple of days into the Ascent before it's bullshit difficulty spikes turned me off. Along with having to walk almost everywhere because the fast travel sucked.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The Ascent owns. It you are fighting against guys 10 levels above you then you are in the wrong area! You don't need to grind!

This is a lie. I literally tried to do a story mission I was at level for and got wasted immediately.

Or I'd get wasted on my way there because lol gotta walk through 5 different zones to reach the one I'm going to because fast travel isn't unlocked there yet and look at that, over level enemies!

I wanted to love The Ascent because I like dungeon crawlers but I ended up spending more time with Torchlight 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

External Organs posted:

Y'all know there's like a taxi system right

Its often not accessible

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Under "security preferences" there doesn't seem to be an option to turn on the console and play existing content without signin/passkey, but still require signin/passkey to buy things. My choices are "no barriers" which isn't going to work with 3 young kids in the house, and "ask for my passkey" which I can't give them because it's the same passkey for starting the console and buying things. Am I missing an option, or is this a very stupid system?

edit: figured it out and made a custom profile!

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 17, 2022

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

FistEnergy posted:

Under "security preferences" there doesn't seem to be an option to turn on the console and play existing content without signin/passkey, but still require signin/passkey to buy things. My choices are "no barriers" which isn't going to work with 3 young kids in the house, and "ask for my passkey" which I can't give them because it's the same passkey for starting the console and buying things. Am I missing an option, or is this a very stupid system?

The solution is they should have their own kids account on your xbox family.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/apps/family-settings-app

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/for-everyone/responsible-gaming

You set up their kids account to require no sign in on the xbox, but have their permissions set to not allow them to buy things.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

All of the modern consoles are designed with the expectation that each individual user has their own user account. For what it's worth, with my kid I created a free outlook.com account and added it as a Child account under my account's umbrella. So my user is password-protected but his can sign in normally and play whatever, with his own saves, with child protection systems to prevent unauthorized purchases on his account.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1483100705824985090?t=bqvjTO7L9ZjwbIJX_76lwg&s=19

If you haven't played the yakuzas, get on it

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018

External Organs posted:

I'm still in the beginning-ish region so I can't speak to the difficulty... It does seem to have some obtuse systems though. But I play Path of Exile and like it so we'll see how it goes.

(Which, btw, if anyone wants to get in on PoEs next season which starts in early February, I will be happy to show you the ropes. I am not like a god tier player poop sock player but I can definitely help you get to Maps. I think I'm one of the few console players that posts in the thread).

Sent you a pm for some PoE fun times

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

poo poo, no way am I going to finish 5 in two weeks and I'm also now going to be 0/3 on finishing a FF before it leaves gamepass lol.

How did people feel about Octopath? Thinking about buying it and probably never playing it but maybe playing it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Octopath is not very good as it exists in a space where it doesn't have the mechanical or narrative wildness of the SaGa games it pays lip service to but also doesn't have any of the narrative or character interaction youd expect given it didn't go full saga.

The narrative is effectively 8 unrelated JRPGs, each 4 acts long, with a whopping 1(one) act of the 32 that isn't just go to town->dungeon->end of chapter. Something like 6/8 chapter 3's all use the same narrative twist, no matter how poorly it fits or the fact you might be sick of it by your 6th go round. You also have very few stories that even attempt to tell much of a story at all, and of those one just falls off the rails so hard by the end what started as tragedy reads as farce. Also, none of the characters interact in these stories as mentioned above, so every one of these tales has to be carried entirely by the character whose story it is while everyone else is relegated to the game pretending they don't exist.

Combat wise its got a problem where mechanically, as the game progresses, fights just take longer because the games mechanics are basically "earn the right to actually deal damage" giving even late game encounters a sloggy feel. You've also got an issue that not all characters are even remotely mechanically equal and for a game where you have 8 playable characters, for no discernable reason the first one you picked is locked to your party until you finish their chapter 4. Hope they're good!

There is a postgame that attempts to wrap the story together and it is so badly handled that the standard recco is to just watch youtube instead of playing it.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Mummy Napkin posted:

Sent you a pm for some PoE fun times

Hell and drat yes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Octopath sucks.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Octopath is cool.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Worlds most powerful console needs to be connected to the internet to change its background or color scheme

Series X stays winning

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Works on my machine.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Weird. I’m remodeling my grandparent’s old condo in Florida so no internet but it would not let me change.

Which is annoying as I’m playing Witcher 3 and the very bottom of the screen shows the dashboard. Figured it was a bug I could fix by changing to a static background.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

welcome posted:

poo poo, no way am I going to finish 5 in two weeks and I'm also now going to be 0/3 on finishing a FF before it leaves gamepass lol.

How did people feel about Octopath? Thinking about buying it and probably never playing it but maybe playing it.

I liked it.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
anyone run into their series x (or otherwise) not tracking minutes played?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Are you looking at the Progress > Stats section?

I just checked a game I've only played on my Series X and it's showing a Time Played.

Only other thing I could think is that maybe it's a profile privacy setting? But you still think you'd be able to see your own.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

American McGay posted:

Are you looking at the Progress > Stats section?

I just checked a game I've only played on my Series X and it's showing a Time Played.

Only other thing I could think is that maybe it's a profile privacy setting? But you still think you'd be able to see your own.

yeah, I’m looking at game activity > all achievements > game > stats. everything is being tracked, other than minutes played, which is stuck at 0

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Kill It With Fire is alright. It's moderately silly and there isn't a lot of challenge involved other than having to hunt for the spiders.

Each level has many objectives and some require you to play differently or are secret until you discover them - one is basically lawnmower simulator.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ0j5maNZJ0

this is out on Game Pass tomorrow and it looks like it owns and apparently does own very hard

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Bardeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ0j5maNZJ0

this is out on Game Pass tomorrow and it looks like it owns and apparently does own very hard

I agreeeeee, can't wait! Xbox etc etc winning.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Tons of BC games are on sale right now.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1483232549996433408?t=tRmDMvl9eXwGkf3hrekb9Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1483230508595048450?t=Q8OYcAl7HoNaj9hzKpuTFQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1483228691534516225?t=Hpp6_5OVTuJEZyQoruP52w&s=19

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1483228078386024450?t=kN9JZyAlKDtIWZDHq6nCgA&s=19

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1483233292635701248

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 18, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Does the 360 version of Crazy Taxi have the song All I Want by Offspring?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Is Azure's Wrath any good? Was that the game with the DLC locked ending?

Barudak posted:

It is indeed that game. Its mostly cutscenes and QTEs, so how that draws you in is up to you.

OK thank you. I might have had a but too much of that lately -- or have i?

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 18, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

It is indeed that game. Its mostly cutscenes and QTEs, so how that draws you in is up to you.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a full list of what's available in this sale? I checked the Xbox store but didn't have a category with these games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think so. You can just scroll though Wario's recent tweets he posted most of the games of interest. A lot of Sonic games, Bully, Gunvalkyrie, The Darkness, the OG Prey.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a full list of what's available in this sale? I checked the Xbox store but didn't have a category with these games.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n48389/xbox-sale-roundup-january-18th-2022

There's a deals section on the console store but it may take a little bit to update yet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Danganranpa is apparently up on game pass now

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Did the wario64 tweet about that above not load? Twitter is being weird for me on this forum today.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snacksmaniac posted:

OK thank you. I might have had a but too much of that lately -- or have i?

Asuras wrath completely owns despite being a 5 hour movie with qtes and so so brawling

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Did the wario64 tweet about that above not load? Twitter is being weird for me on this forum today.

It didn't until right now for me. Could also just be my device.

Binary Domain is on sale for 9 bucks if you want to check that out

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Are the Lost Planet games any good in the year 2022? I remember trying them as they came out and not particularly liking them, but willing to give a try again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tensai posted:

Are the Lost Planet games any good in the year 2022? I remember trying them as they came out and not particularly liking them, but willing to give a try again.

You need a crew to enjoy lp2
Lp3 is like a bad deadspace clone

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

tensai posted:

Lost Planet 2 is okay if you need a coop shooter game that is Monster Hunter adjacent.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

tensai posted:

I just finished the first one a few days ago. It's kind of like an ice planet Metal Wolf Chaos that's not quite as charming but the mechanics are slightly better. There's also an annoying difficulty spike boss around the 2/3 mark (Stage 7 or 8 maybe?). I had fun with it but it's very launch era PS3/360 game.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
I want to buy a bunch of these BC games but the Xbox site keeps failing. Just let me give you money, Microsoft!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

tensai posted:

They were always mediocre and not worth revisiting. I think that the best of that type of game really were Gears 2 and 3, which have a weird rear end world but a really satisfying gameplay loop.

I'm surprised they never got remastered, given that 1 did, and Gears 1 was a lot rougher.