Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ror posted:

this is canon, zack gets shot by a couple cops

Not in the liberal, powerful, future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I began today with the goal of restarting a FFXV playthrough; I bought it on the PC a few years back but the performance wasn't great, so I sidelined it. Now that I've beefed up my rig in pretty much every respect and moved the game to an SSD it runs quite well.

But then I started watching an FF7R Let's Play series on youtube. And now I'm downloading that because it looks better in every way.

I really like the whole ~vibe~ that FFXV has and it seems like a really interesting world to explore, but everything about actually playing it feels really clunky compared to what I'm seeing in FF7R.

Welcome. You'll love FF7R. You made the right decision.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am replaying LR and it is ridiculous how the combat system does what XV wanted to do but better. With the proper setup boss fight feel like an actual anime battle.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I am replaying LR and it is ridiculous how the combat system does what XV wanted to do but better. With the proper setup boss fight feel like an actual anime battle.

I feel like 15 was too afraid to be anything close to demanding for timing/action game inputs. LR you can do some bullshit with frame perfect guards/dodges/attacks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ror posted:

this is canon, zack gets shot by a couple cops

Zack is just that guy who was off-screen owned by Sephiroth in 3 seconds, never really meant that much to Aerith, and died to two Shinra mooks.

Never forget.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He's super cool

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Zack is just that guy who was off-screen owned by Sephiroth in 3 seconds, never really meant that much to Aerith, and died to two Shinra mooks.

Never forget.

Crisis Core is canon and Aerith loved that guy. I'm sorry, Claerith fans. Seethe.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Could play both. XV for when you just want to chill out with your bros and VIIR for serious play.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Crisis Core is canon and Aerith loved that guy. I'm sorry, Claerith fans. Seethe.

Even in FF7 doesn't she say "He was the first guy I ever liked/loved" (in japanese at least, I think in the english translation she calls him her first boyfriend but that implies a lot more) so she deffo liked Zack, but uhhh it's entirely possible for somebody to like two people ZMB, Aerith loved Zack and she also comes to love Cloud before she dies :colbert: she's just confused as to what Cloud's whole deal is at first

Xad fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 17, 2022

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Xad posted:

Cloud loved Zack

So you read my fanfic!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Xad posted:

Even in FF7 doesn't she say "He was the first guy I ever liked/loved" (in japanese at least, I think in the english translation she calls him her first boyfriend but that implies a lot more) so she deffo liked Zack

The English version says:

quote:

Aeris
Just the same as him.

Cloud
The same as who?

Aeris
My first boyfriend.

Cloud
You were... serious?

Aeris
No. But I liked him for a while.

Cloud
I probably knew him. What was his name?

Aeris
It doesn't really matter.

I can't speak for the Japanese script.

At any rate, what ZenMasterBullshit said is true, though. Just as how Crisis Core retcons Zack's death as being from two random mooks into an epic battle against hundreds of soldiers, it also retcons Zack and Aerith's relationship as "Yeah we dated for a while" to "We were so very much in love, love love love, he was my one true love and I only was interested in Cloud because he acted like the man I really loved."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Xad posted:

Even in FF7 doesn't she say "He was the first guy I ever liked/loved" (in japanese at least, I think in the english translation she calls him her first boyfriend but that implies a lot more) so she deffo liked Zack, but uhhh it's entirely possible for somebody to like two people ZMB, Cloud loved Zack and she also comes to love Cloud before she dies :colbert: she's just confused as to what Cloud's whole deal is at first

What she likes in Cloud is the Zack bits he's taken on. When she leaves she even talks about how she wishes she had met Cloud. TO get to know Him and not the persona he's clearly bolted on. She didn't know the guy and knew it.

Of course 7R can go another way with this and has definitely set up a much more personable relationship between them but in the OG she was aware of how little she really understood him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Cloud of Disk 1 was not some alien being to who he was after the Lifestream. Nobody in the party is like 'wow, you're totally not the same person now, Cloud!"

Of course he's not identical after he gets his head on straight but it's not like Aerith never knew him at all. She understands there's something wrong with him but she cares for him enough to want to get to know what's wrong and fix it.

"Cloud" and Zack really, in the end, aren't alike at all. Superficial similarities and nothing else.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Yeah, the way I see it is the dorky moments are Cloud being himself while the cockiness is the tacked on Zack/SOLDIER stuff.

I think it's funny reading people posting online that they're upset Cloud isn't actually this gruff badass they had imagined him to be, the kind of person that thinks Cloud dancing in the Honey Bee Inn was way out of character. Cloud has been a huge dork since 1997.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The odd thing is, Cloud initially comes across as this too-cool-for-school lone wolf mercenary who doesn't need anyone and is rude and dismissive. But he totally did not get that from Zack, who is incredibly affable and enthusiastic and supportive of people. And the "real" Cloud is this awkward, kinda dorky shy kid. So broke-brain Cloud is really presenting himself as what he wanted to be as a SOLDIER- honestly more like the (real or imagined) way Sephiroth acts, and who Cloud wanted to be like, than Zack.

But in the end it IS all just an act, an so the awkward dorky Cloud shines through even when he's trying to be a badass mercenary, because he doesn't really know how to not be awkward and dorky.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mustang posted:

Yeah, the way I see it is the dorky moments are Cloud being himself while the cockiness is the tacked on Zack/SOLDIER stuff.

I think it's funny reading people posting online that they're upset Cloud isn't actually this gruff badass they had imagined him to be, the kind of person that thinks Cloud dancing in the Honey Bee Inn was way out of character. Cloud has been a huge dork since 1997.

Until fairly recently, people misremembered a lot about FF7. People also got Tifa and Aerith's personalities mixed up too. Part of this is probably due to the EU stuff like Advent Children and even tertiary stuff like Kingdom Hearts playing into those misconceptions but I'm also pretty sure it's because people were dumb kids with zero reading comprehension when they first played FF7 and they had to contend with what's considered a pretty bad translation too.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Nobody in the party is like 'wow, you're totally not the same person now, Cloud!"

They in fact say the exact opposite!

quote:

Tifa
You're sure messed up, Cloud!

Barret
That means there ain't no difference from before!

For what it's worth, the game presents Aerith as initially being interested in Cloud purely due to curiosity and slight confusion as to why his mannerisms are like Zack's. On the Gold Saucer date:

quote:

......first off, it bothered me how you looked exactly alike.
Two completely different people, but look exactly the same.
The way you walk, gesture...
I think I must have seen him again, in you...

She says they "look exactly alike" but I think she means like how they dressed (the SOLDIER First Class uniform), their body type (Cloud was kind of scrawny when he was just a Shinra grunt but he got buffed by the Jenova/Mako infusion), the "Mako eyes," and how they presented themselves, obviously Zack doesn't really look that similar to Cloud as far as face/hair.

Anyway then we get the iconic line.

quote:

But you're different.
Things are different.
Cloud...
I'm searching for you.

"Things are different," probably means that if she was still hung up on Zack, she would've been totally fine with Cloud the way he was. He would have almost been like a replacement for Zack, since his general appearance was similar, and he acted the same. But it's been five years since she's seen or even heard from him, not only that but she was a teenager when she was dating him but now she's in her early 20s. She's just not that into him anymore, and she's more interested in Cloud. But she wants to meet the real Cloud, not the fake persona he has at the time.

Though, again, this is all going purely off FF7 as it was originally. Since Aerith and Zack's VAs are married, Square probably is likely to go all in on the idea that Zack is Aerith's true love, and she only likes Cloud as a friend and just wants to help him find himself. Which I 'm not a fan of, but nothing I can do about it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Im okay with aerith hooking up with zack (and tifa in a polycule of course) bc cloud needs to marry barret

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

Im okay with aerith hooking up with zack (and tifa in a polycule of course) bc cloud needs to marry barret

cloud would make a godawful stepdad though

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

EightFlyingCars posted:

cloud would make a godawful stepdad though

Can he honestly do worse than leaving her all alone to run a bar in a slum?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

she's getting early job experience, what's the problem

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Please don't start with that. Barret thinks about it all the time. He wants to be with Marlene...but he's gotta fight. Cause if he doesn't, the Planet's gonna die. So he'll keep on fighting. But he is worried about Marlene. He really just wants to be with her, always. See? I'm going in circles, now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Japanese script us a lot clearer. Aerith refers to Zack as the first person she fell in love with. Later when meeting Zacks parents she refers to him that way again and is clearly blindsided by meeting them.

The "She didn't care about Zack" stuff is another translation issue.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the english script for the original game has johnny claim to be a childhood friend of tifa and cloud and he calls cloud a murderer for no reason in costa del sol lol.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the english script for the original game has johnny claim to be a childhood friend of tifa and cloud and he calls cloud a murderer for no reason in costa del sol lol.

Johnny is anti troop.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Yeah Johnny is a drunk with a crush on Tifa who gets depressed and jealous over Cloud's prior relationship to Tifa and has him call Cloud "Tifa's childhood friend" in a sarcastic, almost mocking manner. The English translation somehow missed that mocking and somehow ended up thinking Johnny was a Nibelheim survivor.

Seriously the translation for Final Fantasy 7 is awful. Same with Final Fantasy 8, in the Japanese version it's clearer that Squall has resentment towards Cid for dictating his life choices since childhood into becoming SeeD. This isn't present in the English version and a lot of people complain in the west that nobody seems to take any issue with the fact that SeeD are child soldiers and that Cid is immoral.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How can Cid be morally-suspect when he looks like Patch Adams?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah Johnny is a drunk with a crush on Tifa who gets depressed and jealous over Cloud's prior relationship to Tifa and has him call Cloud "Tifa's childhood friend" in a sarcastic, almost mocking manner. The English translation somehow missed that mocking and somehow ended up thinking Johnny was a Nibelheim survivor.

Seriously the translation for Final Fantasy 7 is awful. Same with Final Fantasy 8, in the Japanese version it's clearer that Squall has resentment towards Cid for dictating his life choices since childhood into becoming SeeD. This isn't present in the English version and a lot of people complain in the west that nobody seems to take any issue with the fact that SeeD are child soldiers and that Cid is immoral.

They probably "somehow missed" it bc the lines were all out of order and they had only a month to work on it bc translating japanese media in the 90s was a loving nightmare

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

They probably "somehow missed" it bc the lines were all out of order and they had only a month to work on it bc translating japanese media in the 90s was a loving nightmare

iirc it was all done by one guy in an extremely short timeframe so yeah that's very very likely to be the case. I imagine it was probably just an unordered list of lines in an Excel spreadsheet and they were told "ok translate these all by Friday"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the English localization team had to use a game shark to translate final fantasy 8 because Square never gave them the script so they had to buy a Japanese copy and dump it themselves lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 17, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it is pretty funny that the series who staked their claim on the importance of story was just like yeah whatever the gaijin will figure it out who cares. especially after the success of ff7

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

it is pretty funny that the series who staked their claim on the importance of story was just like yeah whatever the gaijin will figure it out who cares. especially after the success of ff7

I mean in that era "look at our graphics" was the big thing they banked on

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah the translators probably had zero context in relation to the game too. I think the translation of Xenogears being such an awful experience is what pushed the localization team to work much closer with the developers?

Even then, you still had stuff like the English voice lines in Final Fantasy X had to be the same length as the Japanese ones exactly or the game engine would crash, or some weird localization choices for characterization in Final Fantasy XIII, or managing to misgender Nael van Darnus in Final Fantasy XIV 1.0, to the point they had to retcon an explanation during the Coils of Bahamut raid in A Realm Reborn for why she's a woman.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i think final fantasy 9 was the first time Square took a translation seriously instead of just dumping it on some hapless employee and telling them to make it work.

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 17, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I began today with the goal of restarting a FFXV playthrough; I bought it on the PC a few years back but the performance wasn't great, so I sidelined it. Now that I've beefed up my rig in pretty much every respect and moved the game to an SSD it runs quite well.

But then I started watching an FF7R Let's Play series on youtube. And now I'm downloading that because it looks better in every way.

I really like the whole ~vibe~ that FFXV has and it seems like a really interesting world to explore, but everything about actually playing it feels really clunky compared to what I'm seeing in FF7R.

Play both

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

For what it's worth I don't think Aerith had no feelings for Zack, or that she didn't care for him. She says they weren't serious in the English script but she does say she liked him for a while. And it's very clear that her initial attraction to Cloud was based on the fact that he acted like Zack did, if she didn't care about Zack at all she probably wouldn't have had that attraction.

It's just like I said, Aerith started dating Zack when she was 16. She's 22 by the events of FF7, and again, Zack has been gone for five years. No letters, no phone calls, nothing, just gone (because he's dead). I don't think very many people would still be deeply in love with a person they met when they were a teenager who they haven't seen in nearly half a decade. It just makes sense that Aerith has moved on from how she felt about Zack. Even if she did fall in love with him at the time, they weren't together long enough for it to be serious, and she's a young adult now instead of the kid she was when they were dating.

That's more or less why I'm not a fan of "Zack is Aerith's true love" thing. But maybe this is one of those things where it's a cultural difference? What I mean is that it seems like there's a lot of anime/manga/video games where high school kids meet and it's true love and they'll stay together forever and ever because they're soulmates. Which is weird to me because in the US, generally, most people don't end up marrying people they dated in high school. I know there isn't really a public school system in the world of FF7, so one of the reasons why high school couples don't work out (going to different colleges/career paths) doesn't really exist there, but turning from a kid into an adult still would. So that's why it doesn't make sense to me that Aerith would still be hung up on some guy she only dated for a little while, but I guess "everyone meets their soulmate when they're a teenager" is one of those anime things that you have to accept.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Twelve by Pies posted:

The English version says:

I can't speak for the Japanese script.

At any rate, what ZenMasterBullshit said is true, though. Just as how Crisis Core retcons Zack's death as being from two random mooks into an epic battle against hundreds of soldiers, it also retcons Zack and Aerith's relationship as "Yeah we dated for a while" to "We were so very much in love, love love love, he was my one true love and I only was interested in Cloud because he acted like the man I really loved."
I know when I'm flirting with a cute boy I just absolutely dump all my baggage on them by like the 6th sentence. Yeah I'm still pining after my dead soldier boyfriend that I am going to endlessly compare you against. Perfect thing to drop in between explaining how my James Bond dad keeps trying to bring me back to the crazy researcher who's degree is written in crayon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

For what it's worth I don't think Aerith had no feelings for Zack, or that she didn't care for him. She says they weren't serious in the English script but she does say she liked him for a while. And it's very clear that her initial attraction to Cloud was based on the fact that he acted like Zack did, if she didn't care about Zack at all she probably wouldn't have had that attraction.

It's just like I said, Aerith started dating Zack when she was 16. She's 22 by the events of FF7, and again, Zack has been gone for five years. No letters, no phone calls, nothing, just gone (because he's dead). I don't think very many people would still be deeply in love with a person they met when they were a teenager who they haven't seen in nearly half a decade. It just makes sense that Aerith has moved on from how she felt about Zack. Even if she did fall in love with him at the time, they weren't together long enough for it to be serious, and she's a young adult now instead of the kid she was when they were dating.

That's more or less why I'm not a fan of "Zack is Aerith's true love" thing. But maybe this is one of those things where it's a cultural difference? What I mean is that it seems like there's a lot of anime/manga/video games where high school kids meet and it's true love and they'll stay together forever and ever because they're soulmates. Which is weird to me because in the US, generally, most people don't end up marrying people they dated in high school. I know there isn't really a public school system in the world of FF7, so one of the reasons why high school couples don't work out (going to different colleges/career paths) doesn't really exist there, but turning from a kid into an adult still would. So that's why it doesn't make sense to me that Aerith would still be hung up on some guy she only dated for a little while, but I guess "everyone meets their soulmate when they're a teenager" is one of those anime things that you have to accept.

That isn't a cultural thing. There is plenty of non-anime stuff that does the same. If a story focuses around young adults they usually meet their soulmate during it.

Harry Potter or Aang or whoever inevitably ends up with a member of their peer group because it is unsatisfying to end with "and he married Snookums who he met while drunk at a bar in his mid 20s" realistic or no.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 17, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Zuko_Reborn/status/1482919072652488704?t=FH8ibYL34dyDiEcQYJrzww&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It does seem like the Cloud/Tifa "Childhood friends become lovers" thing is pretty common in anime or manga at least? Of course there's Ron and Hermione in HP but it feels like the way your standard anime or manga goes about childhood friend romance is very distinct.

Now, FFVII was the first time I ever saw it. I think that's part of why I have gravitated more to Aerith over the years. Originally I was all for Team Tifa but these days I prefer Aerith because she's just more interesting and her relationship with Cloud is more unique.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 18, 2022