Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, in a way 2 years on an RS125 made life a bit harder because I'd picked up a couple of bad habits that you *really* can't get away with on anything bigger or more powerful and without a GP chassis and cut slick tyres. I definitely learned a lot more about how to handle a bike with the old MZ I got as a winter bike when I had the Laverda, because the ragged edge for a bike like that is a 30mph roundabout.

Actually maybe this is the *real* solution to rider training - forget cc restrictions, restrict it by bike shitness. No Panigale for you until you've proven you can get a 70s UJM on Shinkos round a corner.
Down here in Strayaaa we restrict learners to a power to weight figure of under 150kW/t, which means you can ride everything up to and including certain 650s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The bit at the beginning where they reenact finding the rusted out motorcycle in a trash pile or whatever is the “but I didn’t order a pizza” of the motorcycle restoration video.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
AJS and BSA now? How many more decades dead British brands will be revived by grifters rebadging Chinese DR125 knockoffs? Can we get a Douglas, Ariel, Matchless, Velocette?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

AJS and BSA now? How many more decades dead British brands will be revived by grifters rebadging Chinese DR125 knockoffs? Can we get a Douglas, Ariel, Matchless, Velocette?

Ariel technically exist now.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ariel has existed for ages, but they've been concentrating on cars!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Royal Enfield's former UK distributor Watsonian Squire (is there a more British name than that?) own the Matchless name at least, and for a while were using it for sidecar outfits with rebadged Enfields.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Ariel has existed for ages, but they've been concentrating on cars!

They make the best 4 wheel motorcycle.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I want an Ariel Atom but they're Łlol.

Also any day I would want to drive one, I'd want to ride my bikes more.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, every time I see an open-wheel sports car on the road now I just think "oh, it's like a motorcycle! but it's slower...and it can't split lanes...and it needs a whole parking space...and it leans the wrong way in turns...and instead of exuding Cool like a motorcycle, it exudes 50 year old Hot Wheels collector energy. Hmm"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Every person I've seen driving an Atom gives off a big "my mom wouldn't let me have a motorcycle" aura.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've always seen the Atom as more of a driver's car and can't hate them too much.

Now those dorky rear end 3 wheeled things, yes. Signed.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
If I had infinite money, I would absolutely own a BAC mono along with a bunch of motorcycles.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
LCC Rocket or nothing, IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw43m0TVsZE

Maybe chuck an RSV4 RF engine in there to replace that ancient YZF engine in it if you're feeling kinky.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Interesting, googled it, they don't seem to make em any more!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

opengl128 posted:

Now those dorky rear end 3 wheeled things, yes. Signed.

Sagebrush posted:

it exudes 50 year old Hot Wheels collector energy

Great news, you can have both of these flavours in one package:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Interesting, googled it, they don't seem to make em any more!

No, they were going to make another run of them because it got featured in Gran Turismo 6 to a lot of hype, and even put out a press release about it claiming they'd be using "the most powerful motorcycle engine available" which got a lot of people arguing, but then they had money problems and abandoned the idea because it would have been too expensive to get it through type approval and the previous single vehicle approval loophole they'd used was closed.

*In theory*, if you waved enough money at them (and were willing to take it through SVA), they could make you one tomorrow as they still have all the jigs and tooling, but fundamentally it was always crippled by the fact that it was pricier than a Caterham Superlight or similar Lotus 7-derived vehicles which have almost as good a power/weight ratio and - because they're type-approved - can be insured for non-insane sums of money. Also I'd assume emissions regulations have something to do with it - bike engines are still years behind car engines in emission controls, so I think that they'd need to make the bike engine meet the car regs and that's just no fun at all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Great news, you can have both of these flavours in one package:

JAP-branded engine too, if we're talking about classic bike marques.

(IIRC it's actually a Harley-derived engine of all things)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It's a 56° air cooled, pushrod v-twin instead of Harley's usual 45, but other than that, I don't see a huge difference in them.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
S&S, apparently.

It's a Morgan 3 Wheeler if you feel like reading more about it, though there's really not much to it, it's an overpriced oversized go-kart trike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

It's a 56° air cooled, pushrod v-twin instead of Harley's usual 45, but other than that, I don't see a huge difference in them.

It's an s&s, the similarities basically stop at it being an air cooled pushrod v2 with a separate gearbox and broadly comparable layout to a Harley.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Bike got delivered to me today and loving rip battery dead, my tender isn’t even here yet since POD delivery got hosed due to weather also, not that I was riding any time soon though to be fair.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I swore my 400 rocket days were long behind me but it sounds like a ZX-4R is coming and God drat that will be hard to resist.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think I'm officially out of ideas on this SL175. Will not start, or even cough. It's got new rings and valves have been redone, compression is looking good (around 150psi on both), carbs have been rebuilt but I've also tried just squirting gas right into the spark plug hole, Spark looks fine but I got a new set of points and gapped them and set the timing. I'm at the point where I've fixed everything and there are no problems, but the bike refuses to believe that and will not even try to start.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I think I'm officially out of ideas on this SL175. Will not start, or even cough. It's got new rings and valves have been redone, compression is looking good (around 150psi on both), carbs have been rebuilt but I've also tried just squirting gas right into the spark plug hole, Spark looks fine but I got a new set of points and gapped them and set the timing. I'm at the point where I've fixed everything and there are no problems, but the bike refuses to believe that and will not even try to start.

You sure you haven't gotten something fundamental wrong? I'm thinking things like points 180° out, point gap measured in the wrong place, cam timing severely wrong etc? If you're getting spark and you have compression basically the only thing remaining is spark and cam timing being so far out that it can't create the conditions for combustion.

Only other thing I can think of is a coil/condenser that's weakened and doesn't spark when the plug is in compressed mixture instead of open air.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Slavvy posted:

You sure you haven't gotten something fundamental wrong? I'm thinking things like points 180° out, point gap measured in the wrong place, cam timing severely wrong etc? If you're getting spark and you have compression basically the only thing remaining is spark and cam timing being so far out that it can't create the conditions for combustion.

Only other thing I can think of is a coil/condenser that's weakened and doesn't spark when the plug is in compressed mixture instead of open air.

I'm wondering about the condenser but I don't want to keep throwing parts at it if I'm missing something. We kept losing compression earlier from the valves and had to take it apart and redo them a couple times, so I've rechecked the timing multiple times. Logically yeah I'm missing some fundamental piece, I just can't for the life me figure out which one, and I've taken apart and rebuilt the top end enough times that I should have corrected by now if so

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Have you physically verified the piston is at tdc at the right time? Use a pencil in the plug hole or similar.

Make sure the exhaust or intake aren't blocked.

Make sure your pilot jets etc are all tickety boo, there are bikes (no idea if yours is one) that have interchangeable pilot and starter/air jets which won't start if you get them backwards.

Make sure your flywheel hasn't shifted on the crank somehow, like from a failed keyway.

Is it 12v or 6v? Perhaps you have a mismatch somewhere in the ignition system.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

tickety boo

Adding to professionalsoundingmechanicwords.xlsx

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

While this is car news, I think this bodes well for the future of electric yamaha motorcycles

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FRXOV5FtPg0

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I got a pair of cow-a-sockies for Xmas.

:grin:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I did 31 miles today on the LiveWire. Battery down to 60% ish. Granted I was absolutely caning it, but still.

I'm not pleased about the range. It might improve a bit when the weather gets warmer (lithium doesn't like cold), but still, 70 or so miles per charge is likely to get annoying on a nice day.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Neither here nor there, but I was watching this motorcycle review video and the rider literally censored his speedo as he was gunning it. Made me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD7FPfFc6do&t=135s

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Every UK youtuber does that.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The $pilens are gorgeous; I'd have had one if I didn't fall in love with Fat Bob.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Steakandchips posted:

Every UK youtuber does that.

It's dumb as hell when people do, because the lines in the road are a standard length and it's trivial to calculate speed by counting them.

From Google Maps it looks like the marking standard in the UK is 30 feet from one line segment to the next. He passes 10 lines (300 feet) in 68 frames (2.26 seconds), for a speed of ~145 km/h in the arbitrary section I measured.

If the authorities gave a poo poo, they could do the exact same thing and bust him just fine. Fortunately nobody gives a poo poo

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

oi, you got a loicense for them calculations mate??

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sagebrush posted:

It's dumb as hell when people do, because the lines in the road are a standard length and it's trivial to calculate speed by counting them.

From Google Maps it looks like the marking standard in the UK is 30 feet from one line segment to the next. He passes 10 lines (300 feet) in 68 frames (2.26 seconds), for a speed of ~145 km/h in the arbitrary section I measured.

If the authorities gave a poo poo, they could do the exact same thing and bust him just fine. Fortunately nobody gives a poo poo

3 boys driving one of their dad's BMW did that over here, got convicted by counting light posts along the road. Then it got overturned because the video never showed which of the three were driving.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Evidence of uncalibrated speed measurement does not easily stand up in court, so the speedo is not much worse, however the argument can be made that video footage is sped up. This is a good defense in court, because usually no video expert testimony is gonna be given.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

Well that's the point, a number on a gauge is the lowest hanging possible fruit (in fact it's literally in your hand). Making someone do even rudimentary math, as low hanging as you've pointed out, is slightly higher hanging than anyone is going to bother with (as you've also pointed out :P )

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I had a kind of revelation this evening, thinking about the bikes I like. They're all mainly all firmly in the "looks good, mostly useless" camp, and I fret about not really being able to use them for multi day touring. But then I was thinking about those awesome photos of like, a lamborghini rocking a Thule roof box bombing up a snowy mountain road, or carrying a Christmas tree on the roof (don't remember if that was a lamborghini or somthing else) or a 911 with ski racks, and I think about how extra badass those cars are. And then thinking about bikes, like a heavily laden CB1100XX super blackbird is pretty much the coolest touring bike out there. So the idea of a Monster with a rack and a topbox, like yeah it might ruin the aesthetic , but it creates a whole new aesthetic that's a lot more badass. I don't need to keep wondering about ugly dadbike ADVs. I can make an ugly dadbike out of anything, and do it on my own terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hell yeah brother