Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

sethsez posted:

the Game Gear actually had a standard 4:3 screen, just with wider-than-usual pixels.

drat why old hardware gotta be so weird :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Considering the Game Gear is essentially a portable Master System with a massively expanded color pallette, it's not really that surprising that it ended up being a bit weird

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Rectangular pixels were quite common back in the day, which is why NES and SNES games in particular can be a bit of a pain to get looking just right on modern displays.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
The run ahead emulation on the RP2+ is so worth the upgrade, Super Mario World jumps are almost as good as they are on PSP. Wish the latency was just a bit tighter but still, this is way more playable than the old RP2 for precision platformers.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I will disagree with everybody else itt and recommend you get something a little cheaper. An rg350 or rg280 will be more than powerful enough to play the systems you want, and you can even go cheaper if you only want to play certain games. I can personally attest that sotn runs great on a powkiddy v90

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

that looks uncomfortable to hold

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

loopsheloop posted:

There's another PiBoy model coming out in February that looks cool as gently caress to me

https://www.experimentalpi.com/PiBoy-XRS_p_59.html

Bit pricier than a 351 device but I like the Pi as an emulation platform a lot

Did they cancel this or something? Looks like it's disappeared from their site.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
link still works for me. Their estimated release date is 2/7

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

flavor.flv posted:

I will disagree with everybody else itt and recommend you get something a little cheaper. An rg350 or rg280 will be more than powerful enough to play the systems you want, and you can even go cheaper if you only want to play certain games. I can personally attest that sotn runs great on a powkiddy v90

Yeah an RG350P is only 80 bucks on Amazon and probably more than good enough if you don't want or need to do PSP, Dreamcast, Saturn, or DS

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retroid Pocket 2+ Upgrade Kit Guide by Retro Game Corps, I expect this covers things the Taki video did not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKf_TDS4KC8

Miyoo Mini new firmware updates by Taki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okAe8kBvOHA&t=2s

sethsez posted:

A few days late, but none of those are actually square. The Gameboys are close but still wider than they are tall, and the Game Gear actually had a standard 4:3 screen, just with wider-than-usual pixels.
Yes however the vast majority of Game Gear games did not account for that so you end up with this:

And while 10:9 is not exactly square it is extremely close.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I really want a miyoo mini, but there’s no reason for me to get one. They’re just so neat.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

beep-beep car is go posted:

I really want a miyoo mini, but there’s no reason for me to get one. They’re just so neat.

Empty quote.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I really want a miyoo mini, but there’s no reason for me to get one

Yes there is:

They’re just so neat.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I’m in the same boat, I don’t use my RG350 much but the part of my brain that was addicted to a Gameboy Color for years as a child won’t stop screaming at me to buy a Miyoo Mini.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

I will stan for the V90 all day. It's loving mind-blowing that it costs less than $40, and the fact that it runs on incredibly cheap and common Nokia batteries you can swap out in five seconds is just gravy.

In summary: the V90 isn't powerful enough to be the only handheld emulation device you'd want to own, but it's so cheap and honest to goodness pocket-sized, gently caress, why wouldn't you?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I will stan for the V90 all day. It's loving mind-blowing that it costs less than $40, and the fact that it runs on incredibly cheap and common Nokia batteries you can swap out in five seconds is just gravy.

In summary: the V90 isn't powerful enough to be the only handheld emulation device you'd want to own, but it's so cheap and honest to goodness pocket-sized, gently caress, why wouldn't you?

Why not get the myihoo mini? It’s the same price nearly and I think it’s more powerful.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Why not get the myihoo mini? It’s the same price nearly and I think it’s more powerful.

I just checked AliExpress and the Miyoo Mini is ~$60 and I paid $32 for the V90. Also I like the clamshell design and the previously mentioned swappable batteries.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
my RG351p arrived, along with a surprise screen protector and wifi dongle included in the box :woop:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I wish they'd just keep making better v90s. Like, make one with a 3ds thumb nub that can run sightly more games and I'll buy three. Release a new one less than a year later that has the same chipset but with two thumb nubs and I'll buy that too

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Retro Game Corps Retroid Pocket 2+ Setup Guide and Video (Part 1)

This should help anyone set up their new RP2+ since as people here have mentioned, it doesn't come with any useful instructions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koUzJWWqScY

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

After reading the thread and the youtube experts, I decided to commit to my first third party console with a Retroid Pocket 2 +. It looks like sort of the ideal starting point for getting into this hobby more directly.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

kirbysuperstar posted:

The best non FTP/scrape/cheevo use of the wifi is syncing your saves/states/screenshots to a cloud service imho

Is there a decent tutorial for doing this with a rg351 somewhere? I've got all my saves on my main network setup to sync to dropbox, but I wasn't sure how to tie this in, and due to the portable nature of the thing I didn't want to like change the save location to an SMB share or something.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Substandard posted:

Is there a decent tutorial for doing this with a rg351 somewhere? I've got all my saves on my main network setup to sync to dropbox, but I wasn't sure how to tie this in, and due to the portable nature of the thing I didn't want to like change the save location to an SMB share or something.

https://351elec.de/Getting-to-Know-351ELEC.html#cloud-backup

rclone can be a little confusing to set up, it took me a couple tries but now there's just a 351backup folder in my Google Drive root which I could then use for Retroarch on PC if I wanted I guess

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Figured I’d add this screenshot from the video because it’s a handy quick guide for file types, although I’m sure RGC will have this in the written guide as well.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

I wish they'd just keep making better v90s. Like, make one with a 3ds thumb nub that can run sightly more games and I'll buy three. Release a new one less than a year later that has the same chipset but with two thumb nubs and I'll buy that too

Hell, same. I gave three people V90s for Christmas and everyone loved them.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Man sits in chair and complains about mostly Android stuff regarding the Retroid Pocket 2+ for 23 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atkvB0BdmI8

Humongous Pear posted:

Figured I’d add this screenshot from the video because it’s a handy quick guide for file types, although I’m sure RGC will have this in the written guide as well.

Yes the image is right in the written guide

https://retrogamecorps.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/rp2.004.png?w=1024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I watched Russ’s video and it’s pretty drat impressive how much easier it is to update the RP2+ vs like everything else. It having OTA updates is pretty sweet.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Is there anything in here that’s useful knowledge for Android in general or is it all RP2+ specific? I’ve gone down the RG552 path but don’t really know the first thing about Android so haven’t done any customisation/nice setup there. Though I kinda feel like it’s better to just wait until a newer Lineage is released before diving in too deeply.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Froist posted:

Is there anything in here that’s useful knowledge for Android in general or is it all RP2+ specific? I’ve gone down the RG552 path but don’t really know the first thing about Android so haven’t done any customisation/nice setup there. Though I kinda feel like it’s better to just wait until a newer Lineage is released before diving in too deeply.

It’s pretty RP2 specific.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

uiruki posted:

There's someone on Patreon called Black-Seraph who does images for a few systems and they have a beta of AOSP 9.0 for the base XD. I don't know if it's any good as I haven't tried it and as far as I can tell you need to sub to the Patreon for the files, but if you're OK with a bit of tinkering it might be worth a shot and subbing for a month. They're also doing LineageOS builds for the Powkiddy X18s which is as close as you're going to get to a successor device right now.

Just wanted to mention that this was indeed extremely helpful. Didn't require too much tinkering at all to get flashed and up and running.
With a newer version of Android I can do this through Xbox's cloud streaming, so that's pretty drat cool. Not to mention better emulation possibilities.

Wee Bairns fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 17, 2022

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Nice to see! That pushes me towards grabbing a month myself, definitely once they get their RG552 build out.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Anbernic's making a windows handheld

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD
I'm experiencing some frame hitching / video stuttering with my 351MP on the latest 351ELEC (haven't tried any other version or the stock OS). Here's a video of it happening in 240p test suite, but I first noticed it in FF6: https://imgur.com/a/Fq5nD3F. Occurs at :12 and :2 and running on a fresh factory reset. Does this happen to anyone else?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The default SNES core runs at the actual SNES refresh rate which is a little over the screen refresh rate, so you'll get the odd hitch on 351ELEC. One of the earlier ones does haul the whole thing back to the screen refresh but I can't remember which off the top of my head - you can change it in the game/machine specific options in the front end.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Is it necessary to add a PSX BIOS to a fresh install of 351Elec these days? I played a handful of games that ran very well without any tweaking, but I did receive an error message indicating a missing BIOS on launch.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

Is it necessary to add a PSX BIOS to a fresh install of 351Elec these days? I played a handful of games that ran very well without any tweaking, but I did receive an error message indicating a missing BIOS on launch.

Adding a file to your bios folder takes zero time and effort so I don't know why you wouldn't do it as a matter of course.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Because I've been messing with emulation for one day, and I don't really know anything about how it works. I added a BIOS to the folder and performance seems marginally better, thanks!

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The smaller SD card that came with the 351 should have had some BIOS files on it in the BIOS folder when you got it, if you get those files and stick them into the BIOS folder on your games card then that should suffice for pretty much anything you're likely to run.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

This is a real long shot, but I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the last build of JELOS for the 552? It's an alternate firmware by the original author of 351elec.

I was literally planning to install it tonight but went to the shops and when I came back there'd been some Discord drama and he'd taken the project offline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What other windows handhelds are currently out there?