Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

No kidding. "Someone like Tony Zurovec". His most recent experience on Crusader (20+ years ago) makes him about as qualified for his job as any random mid-tier game developer. Maybe less.
Absolutely the only reason he has a job right now is because he worked with Chris in the 90s. I don't think he has a clue what he's doing.

It's funny, as I see more posts like this I'm reminded of the forum thread for investors in GT Advanced Technologies. Regular people who had poured millions of dollars into this company because they were set to supply the sapphire for Apple phones. The thread is full of rapturous posts about how much money they're going to make when the contract comes through, how the execs are geniuses for getting this deal done.
And then trading is stopped.
People start making GBS threads themselves but there are still the true believers shouting them down as naysayers, that it must just be some hiccup.
And then the actual news comes out that GTAT is bankrupt. Apple called a loan because they failed to deliver on time and they have no cash on hand to pay it back.
The shares are now trading at a few cents each and hundreds of people have lost their entire life savings as reality sets in.

This won't be as bad of course because very few people actually "invested" in Star Citizen in terms of expecting a financial return. I just get similar vibes.

It's just some really, really badly placed idol worship. As far as SCultists are concerned, the mere fact that Tony Z works at CIG (and at a high-level position too) means that he's got to be one of the most talented developers in the Dreamlands world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Sandepande posted:

When it first happened, it resembled (in a perversely enjoyable way) amateurish, heavy-handed GM railroading, where stupid players refuse or don't realize they need to be taken captive.

It unexpectedly helped me to deal with the stupidity.

Once was fine, twice was irritating, it happening multiple times for each of the main antagonists was Just Bad Writing

At least in FarCry 3 they made you walk through a door before Vaas blindsides you yet again for the next you've-been-captured plot part, in 5 you would be whisked away from literally anywhere (including inside an otherwise empty helicopter at 1000ft) after a couple of audio warnings. That is CIG level implementation :eng99:

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

NumptyScrub posted:

Once was fine, twice was irritating, it happening multiple times for each of the main antagonists was Just Bad Writing

The worst one was the northern area, honestly. To get free you run through a gauntlet of enemies that gets progressively longer with every capture. By the final one you're not just going through a regular looking interior, it's clearly the bunker the people you're helping are based in. When you get to the final enemy he's begging you to stop and realize what you're doing and won't attack you. Of course you have to kill him, even if you figure out what's going on. I stood there for five minutes and just waited to see if anything would happen. Nope, gotta kill the dude, can't progress otherwise. For a game series that's been known to have surprise alternatives to quests, it was quite the letdown.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It was a great way to make me never buy a FarCry game again

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Question: Has there ever been a game released with such an outdated engine? I know the current version of cry engine is 5.6.7 isn't SC based on a version of 3?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

monkeytek posted:

Question: Has there ever been a game released with such an outdated engine? I know the current version of cry engine is 5.6.7 isn't SC based on a version of 3?

I mean, sure, there are tons of shovelware games that sit on top of some barely functional antiquated UnrealEngine or Unity is-this-even-1.0 version, but counting those is perhaps cheating.

As a serious release from an actual games company, though? The closest I can think of is some of the later Postal 2 sequelisodes, still running on UE2.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sandweed posted:

The way they implemented it was loving stupid, I was ambushed by a spec op squad, hit with a tranquilizer and taken to the bad guy base while flying a helicopter. This happened like 4 times during the story.

lol tranq me once shame on me, tranq me twice shame on you, tranq me three times... wait no stop

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

monkeytek posted:

Star Citizen is built on top of CryEngine 3.7.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

monkeytek posted:

Not a $400,000,000 dollar-ten year in development AAAA life simulator, no.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's not CryEngine it's Star Engine!

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Yeah but CI stole most of the Crytek wizards, so the current engine is way superior.

In fact, my reddit friends told me CI will eventually sell their magic tech and makes tons of money. This is the evidence for that:

.random
May 7, 2007

JugbandDude posted:

Yeah but CI stole most of the Crytek wizards, so the current engine is way superior.

In fact, my reddit friends told me CI will eventually sell their magic tech and makes tons of money. This is the evidence for that:

Hi OP, it seems your message got cut off. Not sure what happened

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

I attacked someone, but was able to give them a criminal stat when he killed me? posted:

Hello,

I was wondering if there is an explanation to this, or is just a broken mechanic.

To make things shorter lets cut to the important part of the day. I targeted a player in his ship, launched missiles (so I am the aggressor), then we started to dogfight, I shot at his friend too but when I was destroyed, I was given the choice to give them a criminal status while I woke up at the med bay with no criminal stat. They didn't even get given the choice to give me any from what I could tell.

This seems wrong to me. Can someone explain the logic here if there is any?

quote:

sounds about right. The crime stat mechanic is broken. Its like a game of "I'm not touching you".

Even with "A Call to Arms" I've found that shooting Players that are red targets will get me the message "Caution , Friendly Fie"
A lot of people when shot at will just kill the aggressor. ... (which is what I found myself doing until I realized I was the one ending up with a crime stat)

I've found that I can shoot at people and end up giving them the crime stat if they kill me

quote:

"Aggravated criminal damage" has been removed in 3.16 and replace with aggressor timers.

So you can now shoot at someone, and all that will happen is you will turn red to everyone but won't get a crime stat. The first offence you can commit to get a CS is destruction of vehicle.

Now you can let them shoot you and you wait for the timer to run out so you are no longer an aggressor. If they are still shooting at you, they will turn red to everyone and be free to kill. If after you became blue and they are now red, you can shoot back and become red to only them again, so unless they paid close attention, they are now the aggressor without knowing it. If they kill you now, they will get the CS.

This is such a broken mechanic and I don't know how that made it past QA or even an internal meeting before they started programming it. In atmosphere, you can even kill another player with distortion by letting them crash while disabled and never get a CS.

Had some fun moments while observing a friendly jump town. Some player must accidentally have shot someone, and a few other players started shooting at him. The chaos that ensued and the confusing in global chat why people switched between being blue and red as the timers ran out was priceless!! In the end they were all shooting at each other. There were even accusations of other players hacking to switch between red and blue. :joy: 

If players can switch between being friendly and aggressor it needs to be clearly indicated when they become friendly again (flashing red/blue for 15 seconds, as an example). And if you can be red without a crime stat, CS needs to be indicated separately with a small icon next to the label. Disabling a ship with distortion needs to be a separate CS, like interdiction.

In my opinion a players should remain aggressor until they leave the area (exit the object container of the other players), i.e until they jump away or exits their ship (ship no longer red if the player lands and gets out).

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

dass dat booty!!

ngl I actually think the correct stair walking is kind of cool. laughable in the overall sense in terms of where the game is at, but still cool

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

TheDarkFlame posted:

There is nothing more annoying in an open-world game than having something in the game require you to talk to Some Dude, who is not in Some Dude's spot in town on the second left turn, or in Some Dude's shop, so you've got to go find them. It doesn't add more to the game if you have to go and figure out where they are instead, wandering around the town, tending to virtual business, living their virtual life doing virtual things, whatever. Having to do extra faff and busywork is not gameplay.

The limited iteration of a similar system in Majora's Mask is probably 90% of the ill will I have for that game. Simply slides MM right off the list of good Zelda games. Creativity points for trying something unique but it was a swing and a miss.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Play posted:

dass dat booty!!

ngl I actually think the correct stair walking is kind of cool. laughable in the overall sense in terms of where the game is at, but still cool

*somewhat correct

it's literally just IK

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Play literally any game that lets you see your feet regularly in the last 20 years.

IK is not special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyCXM87r8MY&t=270s

Nobody brings up feet positions because its useless from a gameplay perspective, and you'd have to be a terrible pedant to refuse to play a game because you don't like the position of the feet. Star Citizen and its followers bring it up because, surprise, nobody makes a big deal out of it. They slap a new name on it, call it a porsche, and then wait for donations so they can continue their operations for another year.

Meanwhile, you have games like GTA 4 back in 2008 doing some slightly innovative stuff with ragdolls and collision, and even that isn't the first instance of that in gaming afaik.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

There are those who truly think that everything they are working on, have worked on, is on the Roadmap - it isn't a complete listing. Nowhere near. You can tell this easily, look for Banu and Tevarin stuff on the roadmap, do you see any? The information about the Vanduul falls way short of all we know about them and how they operate. They have done massive amounts of animations already.

I wouldn't like to predict how long it will take to reach the full level that they intend, but what I do know is that they are taking a novel approach. They are using tools (AI being one of them) - I don't mean scripted NPC AI, I mean true AI, to create tools that will make huge amounts of NPC's without needing an army of developers using scripting language to create them. They will be generated 'on the fly'. When you say the majority NPC's will be virtual on the background simulation this is partly true, but it ignores the potential for what they have developed. When t-hey say there are no background characters it doesn't mean that there won't be characters in the background as you go around, it means that any character can become a tier 1 character - on demand.

It works this way (TZ did explain it):
The universe simulator will simulate a character going about it's business in the backend simulation. Random things will happen to it according to where it is and what is happening around it - these are probability volumes that are tied into the overall universe simulator. The backend simulated character also has a basic set of personality traits and basic history that governs it's responses to any events - it has also memory and life goals. Look on the Roadmap you will see natural disasters are planned, solar flares for example, there will also be crop failures/famine, pandemics/epidemics, wars among factions. Boom and bust economic cycles affecting regional migrations.

If the simulated character is anywhere where it could potentially be in contact (this includes scanning etc) with a player it becomes a virtual NPC and is now controlled by the NPC scheduler. They refer to this by the term 'instantiated', it's activities are still recorded to the backend persistence database and universe history logs. It's backstory is further fleshed out - this may be needed for comms traffic etc, it will have a ship or be part of a crew suited to it's role, it will have clothing assigned that fits it's role, history and affiliations, weapons and armour that match it's wealth status etc.

If you get to the point where you can physically see that virtual NPC it will be given a physical appearance and that clothing/armour assigned above will now become a part of that NPC's inventory. It's physical appearance will be randomly assigned but there will be aspects that are not random, some facial features will predominate in certain regions or races for example, it's birthplace and parentage can be taken into consideration. As you interact with this now present NPC it will be given more and more dialogue options,more and more personality traits and backstory 'on the fly' right up until the point you could potentially hire that NPC as crew - that background NPC has become a tier 1 character on the fly. Every single NPC entity in the game has this history log, they remember what happened to them, they have basic traits and loyalties that govern their responses. They have the same progression with factions and other characters that you do.

Once that NPC is no longer interacting with players it reverses the process and goes back to being virtual backend simulated, but it retains all the information about who it is, what it looks like etc and a memory of all that happened to it, so that if it ever becomes instantiated again it comes back as it was the last time a player saw it, unless events in the virtual universe made changes (scars, prosthetics, hairstyle etc).

How are they going to write the billions of lines of dialogue for scripted NPC's? They aren't.

They are going to do what they always do, they make tools that do the basic grunt work and only the high level stuff is left for actual people. The same way they make tools to create space stations from modular units, one developer can make dozens of them, rather than dozens of level designers creating one space station. It's CIG, it's what they do.That's the whole point, they are not using traditional methods, they will make the background AI generate dialogue that is personality aware, location aware, events aware - the plan is to have the computers (AI) simulate a person to such a degree that you can't tell it isn't another person, that's what Chris means when he says he wants it so players can't tell the difference between other players and NPC's. He's not talking about whether an NPC bunny-hops everywhere, he's more talking about an AI that can approximate passing a Turing Test.

When pressed on the subject of NPC dialogue Chris said (a long time ago) that they were considering synthetic speech production from text which was auto-generated from look up tables. That's what you are in the game as far as the universe sim is concerned, a series of look up tables - you have a history, you have an inventory, you have a DNA profile for appearance etc. NPC's are the same, they are made up of look up tables, but they can change according to what is happening to them and the universe around them.

For example an NPC is assigned the trait that he is initially 90% law abiding and moral, he is basically non-aggressive and backs down if threatened. Never misses a days work and will do boring work for low pay. He gets attacked often because crime levels in his locale are going up and so his trust level goes down, he is more likely to attack first now if cornered. If the local area economy is bad, he loses his job at the pizza place because it goes out of business and he has no money - he knows he will lose his home if this continues, that 10% ability to become lawless is becoming the dominant feature now and it might change, he will take more risks to get the money he needs to get out of the dire situation he now finds himself in - none of this behaviour is the result of any human input, only the basic starting information was randomly assigned at the NPC's 'birth'. NPC's with forward planning, goals, needs, environment aware and self preservation tactics is what they are making, it's all AI controlled. You are going to see NPC's doing things you've never seen before, behaving in ways never seen before and most if it was never planned or scripted, it just happened because of what was going on at the time and some random variables thrown in.

The huge expansion of the offices at F42UK and F42DE as well as the offices at Montreal and Derby are not related to Squadron 42 production as the gaming media would like to think CIG have done perfectly well with existing staff and infrastructure for that, they are about the coming expansion of the PU. Why are they expanding in the UK, Canada and Europe but not in the USA? It's simple economics, it's cheaper outside the USA, they get better tax breaks in the UK and Europe and property leases are cheaper. They are gearing up to expand the PU.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

source: my butt lmao

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Popete posted:

Wikipedia says 40% but also

I have to disagree about the racism angle. Racism is about a race of people. Boycotting is about corporations and governments and their behavior.

This is the exact same red herring that Israel uses against boycott, divest and sanction calls to action. Or any opposition to the Israeli apartheid state. They claim it is all antisemitism which isn't remotely true or legitimate

dieselfruit posted:

source: my butt lmao

your butt is a way more trustworthy source than wherever he's pulling that nonsense from

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mirificus posted:

They are going to do what they always do, they make tools that do the basic grunt work and only the high level stuff is left for actual people. The same way they make tools to create space stations from modular units, one developer can make dozens of them, rather than dozens of level designers creating one space station. It's CIG, it's what they do.That's the whole point, they are not using traditional methods, they will make the background AI generate dialogue that is personality aware, location aware, events aware - the plan is to have the computers (AI) simulate a person to such a degree that you can't tell it isn't another person, that's what Chris means when he says he wants it so players can't tell the difference between other players and NPC's. He's not talking about whether an NPC bunny-hops everywhere, he's more talking about an AI that can approximate passing a Turing Test.

"It's what they do!" after describing something they have not done

Christ this poor bastard seriously thinks CIG will make NPC AI that can pass the Turing test for their janky space MMO. Imagine the server load required if they actually did...!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
is there a TLDR on the last couple of years somewhere?

alternately: drat it bootcha

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

precision posted:

is there a TLDR on the last couple of years somewhere?

alternately: drat it bootcha

Citizens are looking forward to salvage, refuelling and server meshing. This time for sure

About the only new thing is that Chris paid himself a dividend and the investors extracted some cash. The dreams business is doing well

e: also they have space whale statues now

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Littrbx sccsfl!

https://i.imgur.com/anNIm5P.mp4

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

why do citizens write dissertations on why star ciitizen is good

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

nawledgelambo posted:

Due to having no game to play they have lots of free time

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Khanstant posted:

lol tranq me once shame on me, tranq me twice shame on you, tranq me three times... wait no stop

you don't get trang'd again

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

star citizen could learn a lot from the now-defunct obscure MMO "Face of Mankind"

FoM had a cult playerbase and was heavy on the RP side of player interactions. I probably played it for a month but didn't form the close connections with strangers I think you'd need to fully enjoy the game for longer than that.

The game had a lot of novel systems. Effectively the entire economy was player driven, ala EVE. There were different colonies that could be taken over & controlled by player controlled factions. Manufacturing equipment was mostly a time-gated and resource-gated affair, where you needed to go through a big tech tree of refining junk and purchasing more obscure elements/textiles etc, so there was lots of down time for merchant/producer oriented players.

The game was more or less "PVP anywhere", but you could be taken to jail pretty quickly if you stepped out of line. Jail was literally a jail where you'd have to spend a week or more just hanging out and doing hard labor, killing time with other prisoners until your time was up.

FoM had a lot of similarities to Garry's Mod RP servers now that I think about it, but had a much larger playerbase.

There was 3rd person action combat stuff, and super janky/laggy netcode so it felt impossible to actually be good at the game. The character controller logic was sort of tanky and miserable as well. Despite all this it had pretty good environments for it's time and for a free to play MMO. However it suffered from a miserable onboarding experience where you were just lost and confused unless someone showed you the ropes or you got pulled into RP intrigue or OOC vengeance pettiness by folding into the community more.

Something I always thought was cool about FoM was it's job system. On paper it's some stupid pie-in-the-sky poo poo that shouldn't work, but it totally did. Basically you would make a character, join one of the major player factions, and that'd decide your starting colony and give you access to the faction chat & the faction job board. Jobs were player-defined and fell into different categories (produce items, do patrols, go on invasion/attack missions etc).

Players at a certain rank in the faction could define the jobs, which had to have a starting rally point and a time/date. You'd sign up for a job, go to the time & place, and if you were signed up for the job and at the place, you & everyone else there for the same reason would get put into a party for the mission. You'd all vote on the mission leader, then try to fulfill the written description of the mission to the best of everyone's abilities. The game then kept a log of the mission participants activities throughout the mission, zone-warps gone through, what was said, actions taken (things picked up/put down etc), weapons fired/damage dealt & done etc.

You'd complete the job and had the option to write up a post-mission report, but only the captain had to actually full one out and mark the mission a success/failure.

Here's the magic part: Once a day, any player could get some decent cash by reviewing 5 mission logs from your faction. You could see missions that were done recently and decide if it looked like it was done appropriately or not. Once the mission log got consensus from random players, you'd get an extra payout for a job well done once a week.

There was a fun feeling of logging in and getting a big rear end "paycheck" since you spent the week doing stupid RP poo poo like walking around on "patrols", inevitably RPing like a dork.

Anyways, FoM was in every way more "alive" than Star Citizen appears to be, as a result of clever designs that encourage player participation in the spirit of the universe. The huge walls of text from SCers in this thread about how they're imagining AI will behave and live real lives is incredibly stupid when SC's goal should be to engage real players to act more like citizens in a living/breathing community.

edit: thank god for MMOHuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47RtN_cF6xQ&t=213s

FoM also beat SC to the "insurance" approach to dying.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 18, 2022

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Does anyone remember that name of that PvP MMO that had permadeath and player owned islands and castles and poo poo that pubbies were getting all ginned up for but in the end it turned out to be a pile of horseshit? I thought it was called like 'Daggerfall' but I can't for the life of me find it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Crowfall?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Azubah posted:

Crowfall?

Nah it was much older than that. It was from like 8 years ago or something.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's great that you have this dumpster fire to learn from as you go through your studies on what not to do. You pick any part of SC and it is a treasure trove of incompetence. That is not news to any of us here. It is when you start to learn the finer nuances of project management one begins to really appreciate the sheer level of ineptitude involved at every conceivable level.

This farce of a "project" will be in case studies in the years to come along with the other inevitable collapses in this shithole industry.

Star citizen is the result of greed and a lack of some oversight committee that's dedicated to actually having a product be produced within a reasonable pint of time for a reasonable amount of money.

It's effectively answering that age old question of "what if they just didn't cancel that project and gave it infinite time and money?"

The result is pretty much an ironclad reason for why publishers need to exist over video games studios.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Gynovore posted:

Like I mentioned earlier, this whole ''living breathing universe " thing was probably poo poo out by some intern in five minutes, then forgotten. There's no code.

Bethesda already tried the whole "NPCs have lives" bit with the Radiant system for Oblivion and Skyrim. They chopped it because players want NPCs who stand around the store all day and say "Times are tough".

I think that marketing phrase (living, breathing universe) is a great indicator to realize your game company is run by manchildren and the end product is going to be way off base from the promises and videos you see, possibly right up until release when a million screaming fans shout in unison and boards everywhere light up about how it turns out the video game is just another video game and it's not actually going to replace your life.

I'm pretty sure every new game developer who decides their first game is going to be better than GTA right off the bat just knows their Ai will work like real people because they have all these ideas.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
And ultimately what "living breathing universe" ends up being is another one of those terrible survival games where you have a constantly depleting hunger and thirst meter and to fill it half way you have to eat 200 cans of noodles and drink 42 bottles of water.

And no, these life problems only affect the player, not any of the NPCs who can stand in place forever and watch you die of starvation as you get -1 hp taken off you every second after one of your life meters hits 0.

Soooo awesome. :homebrew:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Anybody thinking they gonna get innovative gameplay out of Chris Roberts, movie director, is kidding themselves.

Expect cutscene after cutscene where actors tell you about their life. That's what you'll get for your living breathing universe.

Not gameplay... video segments.

Pretty much like what they've been doing for the past 10 years. This is not new info... it's not sudden. It's literally all the smoke and mirrors to make the game look like a universe.

Go watch some good star citizen YouTube's and enjoy the ai tech at work. :homebrew:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

nawledgelambo posted:

Because the alternative is having to ask cig why they are screwing everything up, why the roadmap does not represent reality in any way, what they are actually working on, and how long its really going to take.

All these answers would be soul crushing to the strident supporter. :shrug:

So instead you just make poo poo up to defend a multinational corporation with hundreds of employees because they are clearly too incompetent to do something simple like make a roadmap of what their plan is because they are too busy inventing a new computer system that's not based on simple on-off circuitry because star citizen demands more from reality than reality can deliver.

Chris will never let you down, you can only let down the Chris.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rotten Red Rod posted:

"It's what they do!" after describing something they have not done

Christ this poor bastard seriously thinks CIG will make NPC AI that can pass the Turing test for their janky space MMO. Imagine the server load required if they actually did...!

You have to say this.

As otherwise what are you going to be able to say?

Chris, who has only been able to work in movies and whatever for years, who was fired from his last actual video game job space game from Microsoft, with a track record of making on-rails space shooters with story pieces between each mission, and his mastermind accomplice who made a 2D shooter game in the 1990's... is going to reinvent technology as we know it today because of their amazing experience in ??? field of ???

Because of their amazing work in AI for making mission objectives be able to pass or fail that triggers a different story section when you end the mission???

Because Tony really knew how to make a character in an isometric game????

Basically You need to append everything you say about star citizen with "I sure hope they can" and end it with "because they have more dumb loving luck than experience doing that."

Let's try it out:

I sure hope they can reinvent MMO technology to allow thousands of player to play together because they have more dumb loving luck than experience doing that.

I sure hope they can make NPCs that are literally indistinguishable from human players because they have more dumb loving luck than experience doing that.

I sure hope they can make a ramp and stairs in a level that don't kill players because they have more dumb loving luck than experience doing that.

Seems like it works ok! :3:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Counter point to The Titanic - Mae Demming, Tickle Porn star.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

star citizen could learn a lot from the now-defunct obscure MMO "Face of Mankind"

Hell yeah. FoM was an absolutely jank mess but at least the devs really did seem to try and keep it alive. It just had an unsustainable game loop.

Played a lot with EC pals and hyper-capitalisting it up by stealingacquiring the resources of new-players and low-ranks to use in production of weapons/armour to sell to the military faction was 100% badguy fun.

Still a better game than starcitizen ever will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Does anyone remember that name of that PvP MMO that had permadeath and player owned islands and castles and poo poo that pubbies were getting all ginned up for but in the end it turned out to be a pile of horseshit? I thought it was called like 'Daggerfall' but I can't for the life of me find it.

Darkfall ?