Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'd stop Tom Brady from his reign of terror and create a NFL C&C Red Alert scenario and it would be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Spoeank posted:

with the exception of your mom (sorry buddy) literally nobody would listen to you about any of those things

Probably. Although if my family is kinda rich from over a decade of perfect investing, I might be able to get someone to listen to me. Honestly, I’d just look up lottery numbers and just get the $10 million that way.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think sports would butterfly effect pretty bad if you were going back to age 6. Most people born after that in the US are totally different people.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I would immediately take the 10M. I’d end up suicidal mourning the family I couldn’t recreate in another life.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

It would be cool to gently caress with Stephen Hawking at that time traveler's party he hosted

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

I would immediately take the 10M. I’d end up suicidal mourning the family I couldn’t recreate in another life.

I mean, for me 10m easily, but I also feel anyone who has kids and/or a wife is going to take that disproportionately than those who don't.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

I mean, for me 10m easily, but I also feel anyone who has kids and/or a wife is going to take that disproportionately than those who don't.

I would hope. I’ve had a good life so far and I still wouldn’t want to live through my teen years again even if I didn’t have a family to miss. I’d definitely be more successful professionally but gently caress giving away everything for just that.

It’s a fanciful old man’s dream to wonder if you could become a loving tycoon or whatever if you could go back with all your current knowledge, but one move would disrupt enough in chance alone that life wouldn’t just proceed as it was—and you’d give up everything with that much risk. Woof. You still wouldn’t have Bezos’s parents or Musk’s emeralds giving you financial advantages even if you know the idea. How many similar businesses failed?

There’d also be no guarantee you would know anything about this other reality and you’d just end up as a small kid on powerful antipsychotics.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Here's a question: what if you had to do both or neither? Meaning, you'd get the 10 million at whatever age you are now, but you'd have to relieve your life all over again before you get it.

I'd still say nope for going back in time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

Here's a question what if you had to do both or neither? Meaning, you'd get the 10 million at whatever age you are now, but you'd have to relieve your life all over again before you get it.

Still no.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

whoa! never seen it do that

this is right near where i grew up

GD_American posted:

Please everyone in the TFF 'Rona crowd take care. I haven't personally lost anyone I know to it and would love to keep that streak going

my girlfriend got her test back. negative. guess how long the results took to arrive??

TWO motherfucking weeks

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Also, come on folks. Those Psaki snow comments are really tame. That's the same poo poo everyone north of Ohio says every winter. Hell, TFF can't go through the season without posting that photo of an Atlanta highway in chaos due to a half inch of snow. Psaki is Amazon HR rep type scum, but this is a reaction to nothing.

Agreed I think people are just really primed to hate her right now, probably for some fair reasons and some unfair ones, but I can't muster the slightest gently caress to give about that particular comment

Silly Burrito posted:

There's a series of books on Amazon called the Middle Falls Time Travel books (https://www.amazon.com/Unusual-Second-Life-Thomas-Weaver-ebook/dp/B01J8FBONO). It's sort of like this, although with no 10 million dollars. People live their lives over and over, sometimes getting rich, sometimes getting famous, usually screwing up things.

Give me the 10 million every day. Even when you think you know what will happen, just see what happened to the guys in Hot Tub Time Machine. Things go tits up y'all.

This is also the plot to the novel The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. It's a pretty good book actually

Play fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 18, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pain of Mind posted:

Kind of weird reading the thread in post your favorite about the choice between $10m or going back to when you are 6 years old with the knowledge you have now. It feels like taking the 10m is almost always the wrong choice financially, but a bunch of people seem to like it as an option. I am pretty sure if I went back to when I was 6 (1988) I could make wayyyyyy more than $10m on sports betting and stocks. I would not be surprised if I could reach $1B by now. Just convincing my parents to take a second mortgage and dumping it all into Amazon in 1997 would probably be well into 9 figures today, and that is just one event, not counting moving money around to other companies that peak at different times or betting every penny moneyline against the lions in 2008. The only drawback I could see is that there would really be no way to get your kids back, so you would have memories of the kids you had but they would also be completely gone. You could be the most prolific songwriter on earth, discover 20 blockbuster drugs, or whatever else your inside knowledge allows you to do to be essentially the most important person in the world.

I guess there could be butterfly effect stuff where Cody Ross knows the guy that is always right bet on him to hit 2 homeruns in the 2010 NCLS game 1, and then he thinks different thoughts and no longer hits the homeruns.

The real boss move is stabbing Jeff Bezos to death as a 12 year old.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The ethical choice is clearly going back to 6. It’s not even a discussion. Leverage knowledge to get the money and power to try and influence the world to a better place.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Braksgirl posted:

Yes, I put a plastic baby in the cake after it's baked. You just poke it through the bottom of the cake before you put the icing on. I've never cut through the baby in the cake before. It's plastic but it's pretty hard to cut. I think you'd have to be pretty deliberate about it if you wanted to cut it in half.
Thanks!

opposable thumbs.db posted:

That makes sense, I never really thought much about it but for some reason I assumed it was mixed in prior to baking
Yeah I thought it was baked in, but also yeah baking a little plastic baby isn't healthy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

At 6 you're past potty training so there's that, but I keep thinking about both how goddamned bored I'd be in school about stuff I know, and how embarrassed I would be about stuff I've forgotten.

And I don't think I'd get along with my teachers either way.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
poo poo, maybe I’m weird but I’d be grateful for the chance to age with whatever small amount of grace and understanding, even from a personal growth standpoint that sounds nice, I like living and would appreciate the chance to do more of it

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I'd take the cash now but would be lying if I didn't say there are times I miss the complete innocence of being that young and get depressed.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I'd take the cash now but would be lying if I didn't say there are times I miss the complete innocence of being that young and get depressed.

Imagine importing your adult depression into that child of 6. It’s a crime.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Being 6 with my current knowledge and memories would suck as I would understand how broken my parents were and have to put up with their selfish bullshit. Also school, gently caress that.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Getting to do college over again with an understanding of basic human interaction and flirting would be worth it alone.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Getting to do collegemiddle school over again with an understanding of basic human interaction and flirting would be worth it alone.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

swickles posted:

Yeah, not like I have children or even a significant other to wonder what could have been.

I think I could even find my friends, I know where they are and where they came from and I would just put myself in the same area where we met the first time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The ethical choice is clearly going back to 6. It’s not even a discussion. Leverage knowledge to get the money and power to try and influence the world to a better place.

Yea after thinking about it more, what I would really do is study up on a bunch of current technology that i could then become like a boy genius.

I don’t even know exactly what that would be. Like lithium-ion batteries? Super efficient solar panels?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea after thinking about it more, what I would really do is study up on a bunch of current technology that i could then become like a boy genius.

I don’t even know exactly what that would be. Like lithium-ion batteries? Super efficient solar panels?

Social Media. Control it make it less poo poo.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BigPaddy posted:

Oh poo poo, I could go back in time and RULE on the Prodigy boards. Muahahahahhaa

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

No one would listen to a six year old.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Guze posted:

Considering I was born in 81, I could easily wait until I was in high school to drop a bunch of knowledge and still be decades ahead of technology at the time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Guze posted:

Yeah you’d just be institutionalized

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BigPaddy posted:

I'm basically the same age as Mark Zuckerberg. If I could get myself near him when we're both children I could probably kill him and make it look like a childhood tragedy and not a premeditated act.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Sorry to humanity, but I will not being learning my times tables and eating lunchables again

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I have kids and it would be impossible to perfectly recreate them so gimme the dough right now

That's probably a bit too pragmatic for a thought experiment though

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

https://twitter.com/TheDavidDrake/status/1482924793951363078

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'd stop Tom Brady from his reign of terror and create a NFL C&C Red Alert scenario and it would be worth it.

:hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUWUtTZvK4

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Intruder posted:

I have kids and it would be impossible to perfectly recreate them so gimme the dough right now

That's probably a bit too pragmatic for a thought experiment though

I’m currently battling a 2 year old with getting him to poop in a potty. I don’t think I care that much about perfectly recreating my kid.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Having my adult mind put into a 6 year old body and starting elementary school sounds like a Black Mirror level of cosmic torture I could not imagine. Just passing the time at a desk listening to a teacher talk about long division, interacting with all the other kids with an adult brain for a full day for five school days a week.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm going to go out on a limb and say "yeah you do"

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Having my adult mind put into a 6 year old body and starting elementary school sounds like a Black Mirror level of cosmic torture I could not imagine. Just passing the time at a desk listening to a teacher talk about long division, interacting with all the other kids with an adult brain for a full day for five school days a week.

Imagine high school dating. I would feel super gross even if my body was the right age. Or oh god junior high dating

e: or having nothing to talk to anyone about except the dumb bullshit you were into when you were 10

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 18, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bird in a Blender posted:

Considering I was born in 81, I could easily wait until I was in high school to drop a bunch of knowledge and still be decades ahead of technology at the time.

To what effect though? I could go back to 1984 and say "hey Apple you're gonna make an iPhone" but I have no idea how they do it. Maybe say something about graphene or CRISPR? Hey Larry and Sergei, you need to make a search engine that prioritizes links that are on other pages, and hey, you need to charge people for specific words that are searched.

Maybe just go back in time and register all the URLs that will get used. Sorry, there's no Facebook anymore but Yearbook is full of crap.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Get into buttcoin early but get scammed out of it all anyway

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I could go back and tell everyone that OJ did it and they'd be like "yeah no poo poo"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'll give you ten million dollars now or the ability to go back and give John Hinckley shooting lessons for six months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Intruder posted:

I'll give you ten million dollars now or the ability to go back and give John Hinckley shooting lessons for six months

How is this even a question? Of course Hinckley gets the lessons.