Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Should just use Okada as a litmus test and take away everyones ballots who didn't vote for him.

Sorry bix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

IceAgeComing posted:

His argument was that if you don't vote for the strongest candidates then its bullshit
But what if I don't think he's one of the 10 strongest candidates on the ballot? The only wrestlers I voted for who weren't long-term huge draws and/or long-term amazing workers were uniquely transformative draws/historical figures (Sputnik Monroe and Junkyard Dog). Plus Dave had previously seemed fine with those who wanted to wait if the candidate was an active headliner.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

davidbix posted:

But what if I don't think he's one of the 10 strongest candidates on the ballot? The only wrestlers I voted for who weren't long-term huge draws and/or long-term amazing workers were uniquely transformative draws/historical figures (Sputnik Monroe and Junkyard Dog). Plus Dave had previously seemed fine with those who wanted to wait if the candidate was an active headliner.

Particularly since conventional wisdom says certain guys, like Edge, may be actively hurting their HOF case the more they work, I could see the argument for waiting to get a sense of their entire body of work.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Wezlar posted:

in case anyone is unaware Baseballs Hall of Fame is absolutely terrible.
It's just filled to the brim with the most sanctimonious jagoffs known to man. The Baseball writers who vote I mean.

Couldn't Dave just change how voting is done? It's his Hall of Fame basically.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

davidbix posted:

But what if I don't think he's one of the 10 strongest candidates on the ballot?

Then it's not strategic voting?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

xbilkis posted:

Then it's not strategic voting?

its strategic in the sense that you have 11 picks for 10 slots and are keeping 1 off because you feel like other people will make up the slack

also I don't remember of Dave has any rules that cause candidates to drop for failing to meet vote %'s or not

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Talk N' Shop is a great listen this week for Rhyno telling road stories. Including a great Hulk Hogan story.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

its strategic in the sense that you have 11 picks for 10 slots and are keeping 1 off because you feel like other people will make up the slack

also I don't remember of Dave has any rules that cause candidates to drop for failing to meet vote %'s or not

Under 10%, and then if they were on the ballot for 10/15 years, need to have over 50%.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GoutPatrol posted:

Under 10%, and then if they were on the ballot for 10/15 years, need to have over 50%.

yeah that makes sense then

honestly the major issue is that you really should only be voting after their body of work is fully established and they retire but with pro wrestling that can take a long loving while, especially if someone moves to a non-wrestling role

it would help alleviate some of the glut that dave has but tbh idk how much he as really thinking long term on this when he started the HOF

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I mean I think in the first year after the big 96 class there still wasn't voting, but I'm trying to remember from reading the issue whenever it first got put up 7-8 years ago. It was really just gonna be Dave going "hey, they should go in."

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I get the active wrestler thing for some people but frankly what would Okada have to do in order to not be a Hall of Famer at the end of his career? I think he'd still be one if he lost the belt to Naito in February and hosed around in the Dad matches for the rest of time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

IceAgeComing posted:

I get the active wrestler thing for some people but frankly what would Okada have to do in order to not be a Hall of Famer at the end of his career?

It comes out that actually Dick Togo was just the whipping boy, and the real mastermind behind the House of Torture booking was Okada. Also all his matches his entire career were in reality performed by Hiroshi Tanahashi suppressing his hair beneath a wig.

Yes, including all the Tanahashi/Okada matches. ESPECIALLY all the Tanahashi/Okada matches.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

IceAgeComing posted:

I get the active wrestler thing for some people but frankly what would Okada have to do in order to not be a Hall of Famer at the end of his career?

Murder his wife & child?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

forkboy84 posted:

Murder his wife & child?

誰かが戻ってきた ?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

dsriggs posted:

誰かが戻ってきた ?

これ なんですか?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

davidbix posted:

Dave did make the exception for something like this, yes. He even conceded that if a voter couldn't decide between Okada and an 11th guy that he can understand picking the 11th guy. Or not voting on Okada if you don't vote on Japanese candidates at all.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

Murder his wife & child?

with the Money Clip? I doubt it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

new beeps on the WOR today, expanding the office lore

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MotU posted:

with the Money Clip? I doubt it
maybe if they had to watch one of his matches featuring it

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Quantum of Phallus posted:

"Your computer doesn't do that? Hmm." Lmao

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dave still working on an Apple IIe over there

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

what's the timeline for the smoke detector beep or is it still ongoing and I haven't noticed

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Disregard, figured it out

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Came in, breathlessly, as soon as I heard this.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

what's the timeline for the smoke detector beep or is it still ongoing and I haven't noticed

it’s probably a carbon monoxide detector with how Dave’s brain is

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

it’s probably a carbon monoxide detector with how Dave’s brain is

Thanks for reminding me of charismaless Rock on the Manningcast last night.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I bet Dave still uses Corel Word Perfect to write the observer

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Vinny discovering who Gunter Stark was is magic.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Discussing the important things in wrestling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJMXPKOU31g

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

He took all the hairy poo poo off at Mania and honestly I think the look could have worked if he wore a gnarly mask which made him look like a DOOM villain

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Okay who's the goon on Granny's Facebook page?

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Dango Bango posted:

What was the goon question?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave saying "Angel o Demonio" after Maryse hit Beth with the brick in her purse is the funniest thing on WOR in ages.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

I know Karmine is a regular commenter, won a recent poetry contest.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cody not on WOR confirmed :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bryan unloading on Gunther on WOL today was very funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsdO5ttHvoU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JimValley/status/1483924659020042240

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It absolutely blows my mind, and I don't think it's been mentioned yet in any of the rants but has anybody brought up that once they found out (way later than they should have) the new name was the same as a prominent Nazi's, WALTER hadn't been given a new name on television yet and they could have just.... kept calling him WALTER for now until they came up with a new one, instead of him announcing that he was changing it to just "Gunther" with zero explanation?

Also it goes without saying and the answer is obvious, BUT WHY CHANGE WALTER'S NAME IN THE FIRST PLACE!?!?! :supaburn:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wwe bad op, it’s not hard to understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Also it goes without saying and the answer is obvious, BUT WHY CHANGE WALTER'S NAME IN THE FIRST PLACE!?!?! :supaburn:

Because WWE couldn't trademark and therefore own all rights to the name WALTER. It's a standard part of their business: own the name, own the likeness, control everything.