Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Gaius Marius posted:

The Republican Calendar is around the same way Esperanto is technically a spoken language. The only ones using it are contrarian pricks

The biggest problem with it was that it was based on the autumn equinox, which shifts around and is hard to predict.

At least it gave us a nice song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX7Bw6HLWQI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Kylaer posted:

Early Modern is the worst name and it really should be something else.

Very Late Antiquity

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Antiquity II: Return of the Heavy Infantry Formation

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Not quite antique but old. Vintaguity?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Gaius Marius posted:

The Republican Calendar is around the same way Esperanto is technically a spoken language. The only ones using it are contrarian pricks

I hope you have a terrible 25th of Nivôse then :colbert:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Kylaer posted:

Early Modern is the worst name and it really should be something else.

The Post-Roman Era.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the eras should be named after paradox games, because the people playing those games are the ones who care the most

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

The Post-Roman Era.

1453 - present

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Angry Salami posted:

The Post-Roman Era.
?????????

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the revolutionary calendar is fun but not actually better or more useful than its predecessors

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the revolutionary calendar is fun but not actually better or more useful than its predecessors

yeah, 5 day week is too weird. this is why the international fixed calendar is my reform calendar of choice. 13 Friday the 13ths every year, gently caress yeah.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Discard all concepts of years and months. Just go with unique days. Call this day 999 999, tomorrow is 999 998. Keep counting down. Who knows what amusing mythology will emerge as the countdown progresses.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I like the early Roman calendar where they just stop counting the days in winter and pick up again when the weather does.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
bring back the pre julian roman calendar and mercedonius :gritin:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ola posted:

Discard all concepts of years and months. Just go with unique days. Call this day 999 999, tomorrow is 999 998. Keep counting down. Who knows what amusing mythology will emerge as the countdown progresses.

Time is a construction of the international bourgeoisie, smash the system and clock out whenever

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Azza Bamboo posted:

I like the early Roman calendar where they just stop counting the days in winter and pick up again when the weather does.

As someone who suffers from pretty bad seasonal depression, I would also like to obliterate winter from the official calendar and reckoning of time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TipTow posted:

As someone who suffers from pretty bad seasonal depression, I would also like to obliterate winter from the official calendar and reckoning of time.

You have sense. You're a sense-haver. A sans hiver.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Azza Bamboo posted:

And this is in Italy where "winter" means slightly chilly.

At least it is now, might've been different back in the day.

I went to Italy a few years back and all the locals we met apologized constantly for the horrible wintry weather (around 12°C, cloudy and some rain) which where I come from is the sort of weather where you break out the barbeque and summer shorts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cool thread.

https://twitter.com/OptimoPrincipi/status/1336271055602774018

Some quick googling failed to yield a full translation. Anyone know where to find it?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ola posted:

Cool thread.

https://twitter.com/OptimoPrincipi/status/1336271055602774018

Some quick googling failed to yield a full translation. Anyone know where to find it?

I couldn’t find one either, but here’s the original text pulled from CIL if anyone wants to take a crack at it:

first inscription posted:

Libellus L(uci) [Septimi Aug(ustorum?) l(iberti) Adrasti ex officio] / operum publi[corum in verba haec] / scripta Severo [Augusto] / domine permitta[s rogo ut rectius fungar of]/ficio meo pos(t) colum[nam centenariam divorum] / Marci et Faustina[e pecunia mea loco publico] / pedibus plus min[us 3 aedificium me exst]/[ru]ere et in matri[culam referri quod sine i[n]iuria cuiusqua[m fiat et] / [reliqua fieri] / secundum litter[as Aeli Achillis Cl(audi) Perpetui] / rationalium [tuorum quas huic libello] / subieci dat[a 3 Romae Falcone et Claro co(n)s(ulibus)

second inscription posted:

Exemplaria litte/rarum rationali/um dominorum nn(ostrorum) / scriptarum pertinen/tes ad Adrastum / Augg(ustorum) nn(ostrorum) lib(ertum) quibus {a}ei / permissum sit aedifi/care loco cannabae / a solo iuris sui pecunia / sua pr(a)estaturus solari/um sicut c{a}eteri / Aelius Achilles Cl(audius) Perpetu/us Flavianus Eutychus / Epaphrodito suo salutem / tegulas omnes et i<m=N>pensa(m) / de casulis item cannabis / et aedificiis idoneis adsigna / Adrasto procuratori / columnae divi Marci ut / ad voluptatem suam hospi/tium sibi exstruat quod ut / habeat sui iuris et ad he/redes transmittat / litterae datae VIII Idus / Aug(ustas) Romae Falcone et / Claro co(n)s(ulibus) / Aelius Achilles Cl(audius) Perpetu/us Flavianus Eutychus Aqui/lio Felici {H}Adrasto Aug(usti) lib(erto) / ad aedificium quod custodi/ae causa columnae cente/nariae pecunia sua exstruc/turus est tignorum vehes / decem quanti fisco consti/terunt cum pontem neces/se fuit compingi petimus / dari iubeas litterae datae / XIIII Kal(endas) Sept(embres) Romae / Falcone et Claro co(n)s(ulibus) / rationales Seio Superstiti / et Fabio Magno procurat/or columna(e) centenariae / divi Marci exstruere habi/tationem in conterminis / locis iussus opus adgredi/etur si auctoritatem ves/tram acceperit petimus / igitur aream quam demo/nstraverit Adrastus lib(ertus) / domini n(ostri) adsignari ei iubea/tis praestaturo secundum / exemplum ceterorum so/larium litterae datae / VII Idus Sept(embres) Romae red/ditae IIII Idus Sept(embres) Romae / isdem co(n)s(ulibus)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

FreudianSlippers posted:

And this is in Italy where "winter" means slightly chilly.

At least it is now, might've been different back in the day.

I went to Italy a few years back and all the locals we met apologized constantly for the horrible wintry weather (around 12°C, cloudy and some rain) which where I come from is the sort of weather where you break out the barbeque and summer shorts.

I went to Italy during November in 2014 and the weather was incredible. Nice and comfortable in the 60s or 70s and there weren't really any crowds to deal with at all. I now try to always plan my travel outside the normal tourist season, though I think I would avoid going somewhere that gets a poo poo ton of snow on the ground in the winter.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mr. Fix It posted:

yeah, 5 day week is too weird. this is why the international fixed calendar is my reform calendar of choice. 13 Friday the 13ths every year, gently caress yeah.

No, it was a 10 day week. Workers still only got one day a week off from work, but now that was every tenth day instead of every seventh (OK, and a half day off every fifth day, but still). Local area lawyer discovers one weird trick—peasants HATE this

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Driving through Germany later this year, had a scan of my "want to go" places on Google Maps. The Teutoburg forest battle museum was on there and is in reach. Anyone every been there? Is it good? Looked at some pics and a youtube clip, it didn't look that good to be honest. Other tips for museums in the northern half of Germany welcome.

Going through Denmark as well, so thought I'd have a look at some viking stuff like the Jelling stone and the Roskilde viking ship museum perhaps.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fuschia tude posted:

No, it was a 10 day week. Workers still only got one day a week off from work, but now that was every tenth day instead of every seventh (OK, and a half day off every fifth day, but still). Local area lawyer discovers one weird trick—peasants HATE this
Doing some mental math, it seems like you'd still be getting the same amount of time off per month, but obviously it would also suck rear end because a half-day sucks and your "actual" day off was way more spread out. Good job, Monsieur Lawyer

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Nessus posted:

Doing some mental math, it seems like you'd still be getting the same amount of time off per month, but obviously it would also suck rear end because a half-day sucks and your "actual" day off was way more spread out. Good job, Monsieur Lawyer

Lol I'd imagine the other problem was that a very large fraction of the French populace were still devout Catholics, and wanting to continue with their religious observances.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol I'd imagine the other problem was that a very large fraction of the French populace were still devout Catholics, and wanting to continue with their religious observances.

I don't really know what the situation was like in the 1700s but in earlier centuries at least there was a huge number of various local religious feasts which were days off work, so a medieval labourer wasn't really working six days a week all year every year

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That was another reason for the calendar switch. See, for instance, the rural calendar that was linked to below (with the picture of the cats). The Revolutionaries decided that, instead of every day being associated with a saint, it would be associated with French animals, or mining, or important occupations. A large part of the calendar switch was to weaken the ties of French peasants to the Catholic church.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hi Roman/ancient history thread, I mostly lurk but I have to post a question because I'm baffled. I've read about Persia had a long history of being a populous cultural home of ancient empires. I've been working on a map for a boardgame I want to make so I've been looking topographical maps of Persia and I'm curious.... how was this a seat of empires? Look at this one (its all of the fertile crescent but I assume anyone reading this thread knows which part is Persia-esque):

Its all high mountains. Is there somewhere I can read about how rich and powerful empires imposed their will across the near east from what looks to be a mountainous hellhole?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the short answer is that once you conquer Mesopotamia, that's an incredible tax base to use to fund further imperialism. And Mesopotamia and Iran are right next door to each other, so the logistics of that aren't so bad.

You might ask the same thing about Rome, for instance. If you had to guess which Mediterranean region would be dominant from demographics alone, you'd guess Anatolia or Egypt, probably. Italy wasn't exactly a backwater but it wouldn't have been dominant without the vagaries of fate falling the way they did.

This is a bit of an off-the-cuff answer and I'm sure there's much more to say on the topic since I'm not super well-versed in Persia's rise.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

OTH being in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea gives a great central point for a potential power with being able to quickly expand in multiple directions.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hi Roman/ancient history thread, I mostly lurk but I have to post a question because I'm baffled. I've read about Persia had a long history of being a populous cultural home of ancient empires. I've been working on a map for a boardgame I want to make so I've been looking topographical maps of Persia and I'm curious.... how was this a seat of empires? Look at this one (its all of the fertile crescent but I assume anyone reading this thread knows which part is Persia-esque):

Its all high mountains. Is there somewhere I can read about how rich and powerful empires imposed their will across the near east from what looks to be a mountainous hellhole?

the ancient persians started out near the gulf where things are flatter and you have easy access to mesopotamia by simply advancing up the coast. aside from that, a very large swathe of persia is actually a plateau - that map makes the geography seem more severe than it actually is in practice. not that it isn't a barrier - there's a reason the romans never even thought about advancing into persia proper even when they briefly held mesopotamia, that alexander's conquest mostly involved seizing mesopotamia and killing the emperor rather than actually campaigning in the mountains, etc. etc. - but it's not literally all mountains.

you could say much the same about greece, in any case - at first glance it looks far too mountainous to be workable but you can stick to flatter land and still be able to march on all the cities; you may not be able to really impose yourself militarily on the sparse populations living deeper in, but that doesn't matter very much

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Because you're willing to do anything to stop living there. See also: the british empire.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Couple of pretty big empires were based in Anatolia too OP.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Basically that map is giving a very misleading portrait of what Iran looks like. Because it's easy for accountability purposes I'm just gonna use Wikipedia images:

Land use:

Tea in Northern Iran:

Rice in northern Iran

Currently they're #1 producer in half a dozen agricultural products, inc my beloved pistachios. Unsurprisingly it's a pretty self sufficient country on food production on account of being so at odds with the US while being rather politically stable.

ANYWAY

That is all modern stuff. The main thing I wanted to convey is that Iran is not really a mountainous hellscape. You can def find maps that make California look like a mountainous wasteland.

To get back to the ancient history, the first Persian Empire was as we know founded by Cyrus I. Cyrus I started his career as the King of Anshan, which is located in modern Fars province. From where we get the term "Farsi" and ultimate "Persian." Fars is...not exactly a desert to put it simply.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah the strip of land along the Caspian is incredibly lush and pretty and grows stupid amounts of things like pomegranates and walnuts and such

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
wish i could have tried traditional Shiraz wine from the region

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I too, have had difficulty with figuring out what makes an area tick and what terrain actually means from maps. I think the key points I have are:
  • It's all relative. The impassability of an area isn't actually about how high it is, it's how high it is relative to the space around it.
  • Rivers still run through high elevation areas
  • You are looking at an extremely zoomed-out area; that map covers the space of like 20% of the contiguous US.
  • People actually need fairly little space to actually live in compared to the size of the entire empires they may live in. A pass through the mountains can be even smaller and still be comfortable for people to go through so long as somebody isn't pushing a whole army through (and even then, an army can fit through a pass that looks "small" on a big map)
  • Look at satellite views and maps that tell other metrics like population density to get a more complete view.
  • Try looking up how harsh your local terrain, or any areas you're somehow familiar with were considered during the days of settlers or whenever to get an idea of what it might've been like. Odds are there's something not that far away that could've caused issues back in the day.
A great example of people being squeezed into a "small" area is Egypt. Modern Egypt has a geometrically pleasing trapezoidal shape, but really, through most of history, mighty Egyptian states have mainly been everybody squeezed into the area right around the Nile, plus sometimes the coastal population without a river to cluster around.

Also throughout a lot of the Middle East, how much the areas could prosper is based around how well they could be irrigated, and there can be a stark difference in how they look seasonally.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I don't know why, but gently caress it. Vaporwave Roman Empire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-L61Cu3QZI

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lady Radia posted:

wish i could have tried traditional Shiraz wine from the region

Some Iranians have told me that there's still a trade in wine grapes for home wine making that's semi-tolerated. Like you go to the market and there's a farmer selling grapes, and you ask them "are these good grapes for making 'grape juice'?" and they tell you "oh yes, these are the grapes you'll want for making 'grape juice'". And then you go home and press the grapes, and stick them in a kit you got from the pharmacy that's definitely "for novelty purposes only", and oops, your grape juice went bad. But guess you gotta drink it anyway.

Which is to say, if you make friends with the right people, then tasting Shiraz wine from Shiraz might not be impossible.

Also OP, you should look into the Elamite Empire for a pre-Persian example in the area.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The map is just unhelpfully coloured, it makes it all the flat desert in mesopotamia look grassy, and the fertile valleys in the mountains look dried out.The mountains are actually very conducive to agriculture in this area because they condense the air currents and cause clouds to form. You can see the difference in precipitation in these two maps, particularly between mountainous Northern Iraq and flat Southern Iraq

Besides having reliable rainfall, the ancient people in this area figured out that the water table is higher in the mountains than the valleys, and how to dig deep tunnels into the mountainsides to collect groundwater. These irrigation tunnels are still important in Iran today, though the scale of agriculture is becoming a problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qanat

Jazerus posted:

the ancient persians started out near the gulf where things are flatter and you have easy access to mesopotamia by simply advancing up the coast. aside from that, a very large swathe of persia is actually a plateau - that map makes the geography seem more severe than it actually is in practice. not that it isn't a barrier - there's a reason the romans never even thought about advancing into persia proper even when they briefly held mesopotamia, that alexander's conquest mostly involved seizing mesopotamia and killing the emperor rather than actually campaigning in the mountains, etc. etc. - but it's not literally all mountains.

you could say much the same about greece, in any case - at first glance it looks far too mountainous to be workable but you can stick to flatter land and still be able to march on all the cities; you may not be able to really impose yourself militarily on the sparse populations living deeper in, but that doesn't matter very much

flat part of the persian plateau is quite empty, its too dry. the coast is also too dry and sparsely populated

eke out posted:

yeah the strip of land along the Caspian is incredibly lush and pretty and grows stupid amounts of things like pomegranates and walnuts and such

Mazandaran wasn't where the medians or persians came from