Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

i kinda wanted to make a 2022 predictions thread last month, but i didn't know if that would be gauche. like cspam is doomer, whatever. but theres variation in that. like i too think that your opinion is in the minority, but im just guessing.

Go to Joe 20220

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

mediaphage posted:

so i really think you could get away with just wiping things down with a germicidal cloth. also, ozone is actually a respiratory irritant and you want to minimize generating it in your house.

with that said, these masks are silicone, right? should be pretty stable on the silicone parts but who knows what it might be doing to anything else

it really seems like way more effort than you talk about. i'm not trying to pile on but i fail to see how this is easier (especially with constantly failing containers) than just using a wipe

Yeah, I learnt that ozone is fairly rough, I now vent that outside.

It might be more effort during the initial setup, but right now, when I get home the procedure is as follows:

• enter garage
  • drop mask, keys, etc into box
  • walk into house
  • use google assistant routine to activate UV lamps for 30 mins
  • drop clothes in washing machine
  • take shower

The mask, my keys, everything else are disinfected and waiting for me when I need them next. I'm coming to the realisation that I may be on the extreme end of cautiousness even for this thread.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mediaphage posted:

so i really think you could get away with just wiping things down with a germicidal cloth. also, ozone is actually a respiratory irritant and you want to minimize generating it in your house.

with that said, these masks are silicone, right? should be pretty stable on the silicone parts but who knows what it might be doing to anything else

it really seems like way more effort than you talk about. i'm not trying to pile on but i fail to see how this is easier (especially with constantly failing containers) than just using a wipe

The nonsilicone parts of the body are polybutylene terephthalate. The straps are polyester/polyurethane, and the cradle is polyethylene.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

on a scale of 69 to 420, how over is covid

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Bearjew posted:

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

neat

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

yoloer420 posted:

It might be more effort during the initial setup, but right now, when I get home the procedure is as follows:

• enter garage
  • walk into house
  • take shower

The mask, my keys, everything else are disinfected and waiting for me when I need them next. I'm coming to the realisation that I may be on the extreme end of cautiousness even for this thread.

are you the guy that started yelling at me that i was unclean in the grocery store at 9PM, because i was wearing my half mask and scrubs from my veterinary shift?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Bearjew posted:

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Rauros posted:

are you the guy that started yelling at me that i was unclean in the grocery store at 9PM, because i was wearing my half mask and scrubs from my veterinary shift?

Nah, I was the guy who kept his distance and quietly went about his business.

Platystemon posted:

The nonsilicone parts of the body are polybutylene terephthalate. The straps are polyester/polyurethane, and the cradle is polyethylene.

Thanks! That helps heaps. I've contacted 3M to ask about the specific composition of the PBT and PE components.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Thoguh posted:

https://twitter.com/vprasadmdmph/status/1482760622890786818?s=21

Gotta do a bunch of unethical long term trials and see how many more kids die in the control group before we can do anything. Precautionary measures in the face of uncertainty do not merit consideration.

the person who's tweet is being quoted does not understand ethics in clinical trials for 200, alex

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

kreeningsons posted:

This reminds me of the time our IT guy used a company fire extinguisher to put out a fire in our office caused by faulty wiring, saving the company at the very least several hundred thousand dollars in damages. He was then fired because he wasn't trained to use a fire extinguisher. Also our company didn't even have a fire extinguisher training program. Also he was a volunteer fire fighter.

:owned:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the IT guy who put out the fire got fired for ruining a perfectly good insurance fraud scheme

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

yoloer420 posted:

• enter garage
  • walk into house
  • take shower

some actual percentage of this thread just doesn't actually leave the house, so you're comfortably within a standard deviation at most.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

yoloer420 posted:

• enter garage
  • walk into house
  • take shower

yeah like i know we all do what we gotta to feel like we're in control in this hellworld but i think you could maintain your current level of safety and really cut back on some of this.

the first bit of both of these is door, right? whats on the bottom, is it letters? i don't really remember my asl alphabet (though i should probably relearn it).

edit wow this page i don't know this meme at all lol

Platystemon posted:

cheers. pbt is definitely uv sensitive but its possible 3m put something in it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Lawlicaust posted:

This is normalcy now. Large portions of the population being fed to the number grinder every day with varying levels of protection. 40% higher mortality rate. Likely an average lifespan less than 70 in a few more years. Every store at the verge of running out of stock of most items on any given day. Emergency services slow to respond. Long lines for any healthcare. Everyone with a “X person I’m related to, grew up with, etc died of Covid” that increases in number every years. 80% of the world denying reality while shoveling down blooming onions and baby back ribs.

Go outside in your respirator and just look at restaurant, bars, stores. Most people have accepted this as reality. They may complain a little bit but they are all onboard with rolling the dice for a beer or appetizer. We are the people who haven’t accepted the new normal and want the world to be better or different. As we should of course.

Normalcy will never break down because it just keeps shifting year after year into the abyss.

That's a lot of effort to avoid giving the Biden Admin credit for keeping Social Security solvent

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

i kinda wanted to make a 2022 predictions thread last month, but i didn't know if that would be gauche. like cspam is doomer, whatever. but theres variation in that. like i too think that your opinion is in the minority, but im just guessing.

I'd like to post in that thread

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mediaphage posted:

the first bit of both of these is door, right? whats on the bottom, is it letters? i don't really remember my asl alphabet (though i should probably relearn it).

Quick someone make this into a wordle.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mediaphage posted:

no, the first sign is the Open sign, the Door sign is double gesture, this is one time gesture

the rest is just Biden finger spelled alphabetically

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lastgirl posted:

no, the first sign is the Open sign, the Door sign is double gesture, this is one time gesture

the rest is just Biden finger spelled alphabetically

cheers, appreciate the clarification

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Oh my god I love this guy so loving much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrOzY86YcEM

e: this is his intro class for a course he's teaching

i put off watching this because the screnshot shows cringe, but holy poo poo, it's worth a watch

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

hobbesmaster posted:

its so cool that a pair of brits were tired of people like this and published the perfect rejoinder https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC300808/

20 years ago too!

sarcastic scientific papers own

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

drat I have been dev’ing Covid Simulator all day. Steam integration is done (achievements, cloud saves for the levels you make) a ton of bug fixes, and a nice credit screen. I then messaged every person who’s free sounds I used, just to let them know and gave them a game credit.

I should probs do SOME marketing reach out :p

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I'm cruising the 'net looking for some good n95s - just saw that our buddies at Zoro have those vented Milwuakee's in stock.
This design seems cool, have read reviews that they aren't as long lasting because of the gasket seal mechanism.

https://www.zoro.com/milwaukee-10pk-n95-valved-respirator-48-73-4014/i/G9136642/

They also have.... this in stock

https://www.zoro.com/save-phace-terminal-sum2-mask-3013050/i/G503450729/

The Milwaukee with rubber gasket are my favorites. The straps are adjustable and they are quite durable. I even use some scuba diving grease on the gasket to improve the seal.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

If The Walking Dead happened in real life, zombies would be expected to keep going to work.

isn't that a plot points at the end of one of the dawn of the dead movies?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Those Milwaukees were readily available and cheap at the HDs near me up until very recently. I have no idea what happened.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Chard posted:

is there a doomer equivalent of the hopium furry? feels like an unfilled niche, maybe i should start making horny $

i always wonder how these things make money for grifter

I guess you could approach honeywell/3M and maybe they'd be willing to give indirect ad revenue

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
It appears that Victoria's health system has shat itself
https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1483275457655099394?t=8887ovlcB5ntIgD26oBspw&s=19

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Tulip posted:

i always wonder how these things make money for grifter

I guess you could approach honeywell/3M and maybe they'd be willing to give indirect ad revenue

in the case of chise, she runs furcons and has a vested interest in them continuing to occur.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

its so cool that a pair of brits were tired of people like this and published the perfect rejoinder https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC300808/

20 years ago too!

Seriously pro click

best paper ever posted:

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a medical intervention justified by observational data must be in want of verification through a randomised controlled trial.
In addition, the use of parachutes is itself associated with morbidity and mortality.
However, as with all interventions, parachutes are also associated with iatrogenic complications. Therefore, studies are required to calculate the balance of risks and benefits of parachute use.
The relevance to parachute use is that individuals jumping from aircraft without the help of a parachute are likely to have a high prevalence of pre-existing psychiatric morbidity. Individuals who use parachutes are likely to have less psychiatric morbidity and may also differ in key demographic factors, such as income and cigarette use. It follows, therefore, that the apparent protective effect of parachutes may be merely an example of the “healthy cohort” effect.
However sinister doctors may be, there are powers at large that are even more evil. The parachute industry has earned billions of dollars for vast multinational corporations whose profits depend on belief in the efficacy of their product.

Parachutes, a land of contrasts.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

McNugget Buddy posted:

The family friend who I said was on ECMO and pulled through had a change of heart for like a week with nothing but positivity on social media, but now they're back to posting antivaxx stuff

Can you be addicted to chuddery, I don't understand it

The people in their lives apply peer pressure to get them back into proper chud thought and since it’s difficult for people to abandon their entire support network they just go back to screaming let’s Brandon at the top of their lungs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

nexous posted:

my disinfection protocol is leaving my half mask in the car. hth

public service announcement: all car windows block UV rays from the 1990’s onward. getting sun in your car will not disinfect masks

however 4 days of sitting around will

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Wisest Moron posted:

Anyone use the Envo Mask N95s? They look amazingly comfortable. This review seemed pretty good:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9dpfoMdXG28

I have one and I love it. Got it for working out at the gym and it is subjectively easier to breath in than 3m + 7093. Main reason I got it is it looks less scary than half mask respirator. Downside is it kinda looks like a pig snout mask since it doesn't go below the chin.

I got it on sale for like $60 shipped and it's well worth it. Full price is steep but if you have the cash to spare go for it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Oh my god I love this guy so loving much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrOzY86YcEM

e: this is his intro class for a course he's teaching

lol this is pro watch

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Steve Yun posted:

public service announcement: all car windows block UV rays from the 1990’s onward. getting sun in your car will not disinfect masks

however 4 days of sitting around will

of course my car isn’t getting UV in it, it is in my garage, I’m not a hobo

(but it’s usually at a minimum of 85 degrees because I live in Arizona)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

some actual percentage of this thread just doesn't actually leave the house, so you're comfortably within a standard deviation at most.

hahah after posting in Covid threads for years (lol gently caress you can say that now) I’ve realized I’m not even the median poster in terms of personal safety: i get carry out and will go inside restaurants to collect the food, I will occasionally drink a beer on the patio of a brewery (by myself, only if all other customers are inside, but it’s 30 degrees so that’s easy), and while I use a half mask the majority of the time I will occasionally step down to an aura if I need to talk to another human