Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

infernal machines posted:

Weird question for the AB/BC folks in here, is tobacco advertising legal out there? I don't mean vape products (which sort of fly under the radar here in ON), I mean like cigarettes and other tobacco products?

You’re not even allowed to display the cigarettes you have here in BC. Every store has hidden shelving now so you have to know what brand you want and can’t just look behind the counter and go “that one”. I also don’t think I’ve seen an ad in over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ChickenDoodle posted:

You’re not even allowed to display the cigarettes you have here in BC. Every store has hidden shelving now so you have to know what brand you want and can’t just look behind the counter and go “that one”. I also don’t think I’ve seen an ad in over a decade.

In Alberta, again, it depends on the venue being 18+. Tobacconists are still allowed to display product openly, but they are not allowed to have minors in the store.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only snow days I remember in Toronto was the one time it dumped like 40 inches of snow over the weekend and the other time there was freezing rain schedule for rush hour.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ChickenDoodle posted:

Yeah, that's the same as Ontario, so either this is just AB or it's seriously illegal

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Proper snow days were pretty rare for me, but if buses were canceled (which happened pretty much any time there was enough snow or freezing rain,) it might as well have been a snow day since attendance would be such that teachers couldn't really do constructive things.

I remember it being pretty nice since my highschool was only reachable by bus by the majority of the attendance unlike other high schools, so that didn't really ever change for me. As well, bus cancelations were all or nothing, so with a decent amount of rural routes they had to err on the cautious side. Except the occasions they didn't.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/vote4robgill/status/1483115782980751362

Normal things!

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

LOL what a dumb rear end in a top hat

I remember the 1998(?) ice storm in Ontario when school bus cancellations were so common that the radio had a little jingle they would play before announcing them all. To the tune of The Simpsons, "The Cancellaaationsss"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

What’s interesting is because we’re already set up for remote learning the kids don’t get a snow day, they get a “virtual classroom” day instead.

not in Ontario. a lot of teachers are pissed because they were preparing for asynchronous remote learning, then the decision was made to do in person classes this week, so they had to redo all their lesson plans for in person. then last night dougie announces we're going to a remote learning school day today, but that's synchronous classes so they've had to prepare the same lesson three times in different ways, the last time with less than a day's notice.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ChickenDoodle posted:

This has been my experience in Alberta as well. I don't know what the actual rule is but the typical place to buy tobacco (grocery store, convenience store) all have them behind a plastic shield so you can't see them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Well, look here: if students miss a single day of learning about the water cycle or some dumb poo poo, how will society survive?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I remember one year in rural Nova Scotia, we only had 13 school days in March because it snowed so much.

Vintersorg posted:

Snow days are generally more for rural schools here. If you're in Winnipeg you're going. Although the one snow day we had it was like 6 foot high snow drifts - no lie. Wind and accumulation sucks.

That's literally the first snow day I've ever heard of in Winnipeg. I remember we had literal blizzard warnings (maybe some actual blizzards?), but school was still on. Wow.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

not in Ontario. a lot of teachers are pissed because they were preparing for asynchronous remote learning, then the decision was made to do in person classes this week, so they had to redo all their lesson plans for in person. then last night dougie announces we're going to a remote learning school day today, but that's synchronous classes so they've had to prepare the same lesson three times in different ways, the last time with less than a day's notice.

They're not doing virtual classrooms, but my kid is in ontario, and the asynchronous learning he was going to do today anyway (because teachers were prepping for a chunk of their class not to come in) is going forward as planned for everyone.

e: I'm a fan of this, if he can log in to view the homework there's no reason for him not to do it no matter what the weather is like outside. He can still go outside and play once the homework is done.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

They're not doing virtual classrooms, but my kid is in ontario, and the asynchronous learning he was going to do today anyway (because teachers were prepping for a chunk of their class not to come in) is going forward as planned for everyone.

e: I'm a fan of this, if he can log in to view the homework there's no reason for him not to do it no matter what the weather is like outside. He can still go outside and play once the homework is done.

ah, that's good. you're in a better position to know than me reading tweets last night, thank you for the correction.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

ah, that's good. you're in a better position to know than me reading tweets last night, thank you for the correction.

That's the plan from the ottawa carleton public board at least. Different boards are different, etc.

Also schools can be a bit unique as well. Every school in this board that we've attended has been pretty good, but this one in particular is really strong with communication. We were asked on Friday to let the school know if our children would be attending this week or not, so that their teachers could prep remote work for them.

My expectation for this week is that even if the schools were open, transportation would be pretty dicey. There are significant shortages of bus drivers. It was easier for us to just plan for a week learning from home vs trying to figure out if we were sending him at 7am once they made the transport call. Also I don't really want him catching covid, soooooo

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
For OCDSB, not every school was asynchronous today. Some schools with a higher percentage of students with exceptionalities decided to do synchronous learning.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

As some have already said, different boards are doing different things. My board said everyone gets the day off, no online, no in person, nothing, go enjoy that snow. Good.

The Toronto District School Board was the one that did the flippy-flopping last minute synchronous/asynchronous stuff, and while I love to poo poo on Doug and the Cons, this one was on the TDSB. They made that decision... er, decisions.

The usual thing in my board for bus cancellations is to have the schools open, staff are asked to come in 'if they can safely do so'. Which leads to sitting in a classroom with five kids (high school). An actual closure is rare, but in this case made sense... there was no way anyone was getting to school this morning.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

infernal machines posted:

I would be so pissed if I were a kid.

No you wouldn't, kids love school!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I remember one year in rural Nova Scotia, we only had 13 school days in March because it snowed so much.

How did you survive?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ZShakespeare posted:

How did you survive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FEW5mh7iAI

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

ZShakespeare posted:

How did you survive?

I was in grade 5, so obviously I got dangerously depressed, and it's created childhood trauma that has never really healed. Every time I see snow I break out in uncontrollable sobs and get flashbacks, terrified that I won't get to see my friends or go to my job.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I was in grade 5, so obviously I got dangerously depressed, and it's created childhood trauma that has never really healed. Every time I see snow I break out in uncontrollable sobs and get flashbacks, terrified that I won't get to see my friends or go to my job.

You know, the way some people talk about schools makes me think they've repressed a lot of memories of their childhood.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

PT6A posted:

You know, the way some people talk about schools makes me think they've repressed a lot of memories of their childhood.

I definitely have. I don't think I was happy in school from grades 4-9 and it was only when I transferred to a hippy dippy alternative school in grade 10 that I realized just how drat miserable I was. I honestly don't think I would have finished high school otherwise.

e: i remember one teacher I had in grade 11 explaining that teaching was so hard because you have to show up everyday and sell something to a room full of people who don't want to even be there.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 17, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Another Bill posted:

I definitely have. I don't think I was happy in school from grades 4-9 and it was only when I transferred to a hippy dippy alternative school in grade 10 that I realized just how drat miserable I was. I honestly don't think I would have finished high school otherwise.

e: i remember one teacher I had in grade 11 explaining that teaching was so hard because you have to show up everyday and sell something to a room full of people who don't want to even be there.

And the people who want to buy it are basically bored as gently caress 2/3s of the time, because of all the additional time it takes the teacher to sell their wares to the unwilling, so they hate it too!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

And the people who want to buy it are basically bored as gently caress 2/3s of the time, because of all the additional time it takes the teacher to sell their wares to the unwilling, so they hate it too!

Yeah pretty much. Schooling should be separated more based on interest, engagement and ability instead of just age which means nothing.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

leftist heap posted:

Starting to think PT6A doesn't know anything at all about kids lmao
He knows how it felt for him as a kid, and some of what he's saying resonates with me too, regarding experiences at school. While some are able to synthesize tgoughts by incorporating their own childhoods with experience looking after children as an adult, others may be only applying their own first hand knowledge of what it feels like as a child. I don't think the perspective of how it might feel as a kid is invalid, nor do I think that any perspective can encompass the whole picture.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

He knows how it felt for him as a kid, and some of what he's saying resonates with me too, regarding experiences at school. While some are able to synthesize tgoughts by incorporating their own childhoods with experience looking after children as an adult, others may be only applying their own first hand knowledge of what it feels like as a child. I don't think the perspective of how it might feel as a kid is invalid, nor do I think that any perspective can encompass the whole picture.

Thanks. I mean, what gets me about the whole thing is: I was really good at school, and I was intrinsically motivated to do well because I enjoyed it, and I still hated school overall! The crushing boredom is something I can still remember, the feeling that most of the assignments were just completely loving pointless most of the time, it's just the worst. It's like one of those Scandinavian prisons: it's not actively cruel, it's just lovely to be there and you can't leave. To quote Gogol Bordello: I would never, ever, ever want to be young again!

The true irony is you have to be there in school when it's pointless and lovely, but you don't have to be there in uni, when things are interesting and actually require your attention because they're not programmed for the lowest common denominator! I think I skipped more class in high school than all through university.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Finally learned why BC seems to give even fewer fucks about covid than average!

https://twitter.com/daniatomicus/status/1482233293814710276

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alberta's Health Minister has COVID, and it just came out that Alberta's Justice Minister called the Edmonton chief of police after getting a ticket for using his phone while driving in a school zone in May.

Another great day for Alberta.

Still 497 days until we can get rid of these chucklefucks. 497 horrifying, frustrating, embarrassing days.

pokeyman posted:

That is so completely hosed up.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 18, 2022

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Powershift posted:

Alberta's Health Minister has COVID, and it just came out that Alberta's Justice Minister called the Edmonton chief of police after getting a ticket for using his phone while driving in a school zone in May.

Another great day for Alberta.

Still 497 days until we can get rid of these chucklefucks. 497 horrifying, frustrating, embarrassing days.

LOL at everything thinking that THIS WILL BE THE THING THAT GETS HIM.

No one cares, the base are loving stupid assholes using politics as a team sport. Madu could eviscerate a child on national television and nothing would happen.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

pokeyman posted:

Hope it was just a dark throwaway quip and not reality

Because, gently caress.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah Madu is the only Edmonton UCP MLA too, no way he gets the boot for the mere crime of being obviously corrupt and generally awful.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

pokeyman posted:

Well that's one hell of a silver lining.

Edit: I missed how those were for COVID-19 patients. gently caress everything.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mr. Mercury posted:

Because, gently caress.

I've heard it said that Nova Scotia is a good place to tear your knee because we have a lot of cadavers. Phrased that way it's almost a twisted kind of boosterism

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I've heard it said that Nova Scotia is a good place to tear your knee because we have a lot of cadavers. Phrased that way it's almost a twisted kind of boosterism
Strange way to attract a CFL franchise.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Strange way to attract a CFL franchise.

lmao that you mention it I'm shocked they haven't trotted it out, they've tried every other World Class booster argument there is.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Count Roland posted:

Yeah pretty much. Schooling should be separated more based on interest, engagement and ability instead of just age which means nothing.

The logical result of this would be a bunch of old kids with learning disabilities/poverty/parental neglect/failure to thrive in the school system stuck in like grade 6, how does this fix anything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
After a few years in grade 6 we just hand them a diploma and sent them on their way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Eej posted:

The logical result of this would be a bunch of old kids with learning disabilities/poverty/parental neglect/failure to thrive in the school system stuck in like grade 6, how does this fix anything

And on the other side, a bunch of keeners skipping grades and hanging out with older kids.

I've been there. It's a good way to learn how to smoke cigarettes when you're 10, but I can't say it's really beneficial in any sense. I probably could've completed the legally-required BC curriculum by the time I was 13 or so, no problem, but then where does that leave you? My folks called time on that poo poo for obvious reasons (and god knows they weren't wrong to do so) and so I got to be bored for the next 5 years or whatever.

Like, my oath, high school was easy as gently caress. The hardest part is motivating yourself to do useless nonsense that's designed to keep you, a teenager, off the street. I graduated, not counting the weird pseudo-credits I got in BC, from Alberta high school with a full extra semester of credits because I wasn't allowed to take more than one spare period per semester. It leads to you being a resentful weirdo like I am to this day, and I do resent it!

EDIT: And, you know, since I'm having a rant about this issue: one of my best friends, a guy I would go to the end of the earth for and visa versa, never graduated high school. He only told me this years after I met him; he had decent jobs and a good family, and he is an absolutely wonderful, smart and wise person, and he was ashamed of it. Why? Well, not any particular hardship; he just didn't give a gently caress at that point, and he hated it, so he left. To me, that's terribly sad, that the institution of school could turn someone off so completely that they just say "gently caress it, I guess." So if we speak about mental health and education, the conversation has to go further than "is the pandemic bad?"

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 18, 2022

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

https://twitter.com/Tayrayerayeraye/status/1483291507503239172

My friend posted this about a lady that came into his work and my very first thought was that Queen of Canada? lady who was trying to invite Americans to cross the border and overthrow Trudeau or w/e. I wonder if there's any relation.

e- He confirmed it absolutely was her. Holy balls We The People, this isn't America.

Caedus fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Mr. Mercury posted:

Because, gently caress.
I can believe it. I mean, doing inner city medicine in Alberta obviously my practice is skewed, but so far during the pandemic I have lost two patients to COVID, and at last count thirty-seven to opioid overdoses. The last few months, like once a week I find out that someone who I've known for a decade and have helped get housing and maybe intermittently stop using has overdosed and it's starting to progress more from "burnout" to "straight up trauma."

She is right in that there's a lot more organs than usual. Young patients usually, and now that we've got treatments hep C status doesn't really matter. The old surgeons say it was like this before motorcycle helmet laws...