Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

badjohny posted:

My daughter asked me, and I had never even thought about it...but is the sea dragon in the lava zone the male to the female sea empress that is trapped in the final base? they look very similar and it would explain why she is trapped down there and they are so angry trying to get to her. . Or is it never said.

I think that the game clarifies at some point that the animals of the planet appear to have no real gender, which explains why any two you get into an aquarium can breed, but either way, the sea emperor is different enough from the sea dragon that it's clearly a different species. I kinda thought maybe the sea emperor has been locked up long enough that the creatures in the outside world have evolved into something different, but the sea dragon doesn't really present any signs of sentience.

Salt Fish posted:

The whole BZ experience was missing that horror-movie feel. Great game, enjoyed it immensely as a normal game, but OG subnautica was on the next level. I very much hope they lean into the Alien Isolation style gameplay where you are bracing for the jump scare that never comes. I want to feel the pure panic of having a mile of black water below my feet.

Honestly I think BZ was consciously stepping away from the ways in which Subnautica was scary. Like Subnautica was very spooky, but I can see viewing the way that some people were too frightened to go on as a failure.

So BZ lacks threats and urgency. No exploding ships or mysterious space cannons. No reefbacks or manatees making creepy noises or just creating a mild hostility around the starting area. The "leviathans" are mostly tiny in comparison to Subnautica's. One of them seems purposefully designed to train the player to be brave against perceived threats because it makes a very big noisy show of attacking but barely does any damage. The scariest and most dangerous creatures are neatly cordoned off into enclosed areas and you get multiple verbal warnings before you encounter them. There's much less open water and it doesn't seem to go as deep, so you'll get much less of the terror of the abyss. You have a message right when the game opens that clarifies that Alterra pulled out of the planet in an orderly evacuation, so there's not even that much spooky mystery over their facilities if you paid attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I agree and I also think Subnautica wasn't intentionally designed to be the lonesome terror simulator it turned out to be. Kind of like how Metroid was intended to be an anime-rear end action game but turned out as an isolated independent exploration game instead due to technical limitations

So maybe it's a toss-up for whether a hypothetical Subnautica 2 would even have the same atmosphere it got famous for. But that might leave the market open for another game to fill that niche

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well this playthrough got buggered worse than I've ever seen it.
Towards the end...
In the first lava zone there was no pedestal to put the key and no forcefield behind which where a blue key should have been.
I cheated in 2 just in case and went further down.
No forcefields again so no blue keys needed.
When I got to big mama she was already on the ground, eggs cracked and portal uncovered.
Luckily there were 2-3 bubbles of the enzyme floating about.
I'll just have to backtrack to the portal room and pick one and hope they work so I can get back topside.

Its almost like someone came along and finished the game for me.
If it wasnt for all the bugged pedestals/portals.

e: Almost forgot, multiple times I could not pull out some of my tools.
Sometimes hitting Esc and going to options and back would fix it, other times a restart.
But strangely my Prawn never got stuck, so...

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 12, 2022

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Always finding time capsules filled with flares

Why do so many people leave flares

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Always finding time capsules filled with flares

Why do so many people leave flares

I don't know. The loving things should be moderated, preferably replaced with a static list of a selection of the best player created ones

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I don't know. The loving things should be moderated, preferably replaced with a static list of a selection of the best player created ones

They were voted on by the community, but don't know if any new ones have been added in years.

https://subnautica.unknownworlds.com/time-capsules

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
I had to resist the urge to put all 3 depth module mk3's in mine :v: I put the seamoth one in which I think is super helpful but won't make the rest of the game trivial for someone early on.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I think I put in a cuddlefish egg I got out a time capsule, and a repair tool with an ion battery in it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm not a fan of putting tools in time capsules. By the time a player leaves the Safe Shallows, they're just about guaranteed to have pretty much every tool already. Another copy of tools isn't going to do much. What would be valuable would be some advanced components which are have multiple possible applications.

I put Computer Chips and Advanced Wiring Kits in my time capsule. No matter how far they are in the game, players are just about always going to need more of those, and they can be a bit annoying to make.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I think I put a purple tablet and a depth module in mine. Valuable without being absolutely gamebreaking

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Flares and a picture of my naked rear end hanging out of the rocket as I blast off. See you later losers!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The laser cutter is notoriously hard to find, but other than that I agree about tools.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Oasx posted:

The laser cutter is notoriously hard to find, but other than that I agree about tools.
When a run holds out on laser cutter fragments until you are over-prepared for the engame, and the first thing you open is a box full of enough laser cutter and battery charger fragments to cover several runs.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I opened a time capsule with like three tools but the real prize inside was that they were loaded with ion batteries. Immensely helpful to get those early.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Cartoon Man posted:

I opened a time capsule with like three tools but the real prize inside was that they were loaded with ion batteries. Immensely helpful to get those early.

This is the real thing to put in time capsules, I usually put in two earlygame tools with ion batteries, a cuddlefish egg, and one of the rare decorations

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I got screwed. Hardcore run. 18 hours in. I was cruising. I pushed a little hard, finding blue crystals in a hot place. Getting ready to finish the story. I was at 40 health, in a prawn suit, and felt safe. I thought, should I take my emergency med kit in my suits inventory? Maybe.

Then I get warped, instantly die, and lose the save file? I can’t even reload it from my last save point!

It’s fine, I need a few months from this game anyway.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

LionArcher posted:

Hardcore run.

LionArcher posted:

lose the save file? I can’t even reload it from my last save point!
Was this an actual surprise or are you just venting? It's the entire point of the hardcore game mode.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've had enough deaths where Warpers glitch me into inescapable cavities in the geometry that I have already decided hardcore is not for me.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Hardcore more like No-rdcore

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Warper teleports me out of the Seamoth, Crabsquid eats the Seamoth, don't have enough oxygen to swim home. Tale as old as time.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Lol you guys are dying to legit things though.

How about opening a hatch door, glithcing out and just falling to the infinite death.

Hardcore is not for this game.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I beat hardcore 2/4 tries. One of the successful runs I had two different seamoths clip through the side of the world and I had to rebuild them and all the upgrades. One of the failed runs I got 1 shot by a volcanic vent trying to place a geothermal generator. The other death was getting my seamoth blown up by a squidface guy in the deep delgasi base and then drowning to death.

I would say overall its not that hard to do. You just have to be slight aware of some bugs here or there. One advice: rush the seaglide and scan the cyclops parts under the aurora ASAP. It's very very risky, but you can do it super early and get 2/3rds of the pieces you need

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

YggiDee posted:

Warper teleports me out of the Seamoth, Crabsquid eats the Seamoth, don't have enough oxygen to swim home. Tale as old as time.

This is why I wouldn’t play Hardcore even if not for the bugs: this is a Working As Intended behavior and all of the elaborate extra precautions I could have taken for other risks (trunk module with survival supplies, spare power cell, shock module, etc), it’s still possible to get jerked out of your ride, watch it get eaten, and then drown frantically seagliding directly upward.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I kind of wish there was a checkpoint you could add to hardcore, just one, where you'd at least restart from there. Something early.

Because while it's thrilling the first few times, those really early days get tedious quickly.

I'd be totally fine having to rebuild a base and/or vehicles, but ugh, swimming around barely having enough to eat and drink constantly gets too much, especially after dying later on.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You could just play normal and choose to only ever restore from one particular save if you die.

I will never understand hardcore mode in any game. It’s the hair shirt of gaming.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 16, 2022

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Must have played 50 hours of this on creative mode with my 5 year old just exploring, building random bases, giant 300 foot towers filled with alien containment, naming and painting various submarines, and reading about the ecosystem. So many good memories =)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s something to keep an eye on.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/no-headline

https://youtu.be/vqy5noRNVJo

https://www.ign.com/articles/polish-studio-far-from-home-next-gen-survival-forever-skies?amp=1

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 16, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah i'm kinda interested in that from what I've seen.
Hope it turns out ok.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
I love how much of a loving blatant ripoff it looks like and I'm here for it :hmmyes:

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
I'm hoping between Forever Skies and https://store.steampowered.com/app/1265800/Hubris/ we get one good game to pickup Subnautica's torch.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://youtu.be/0_K30JnmqR0

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I'm hoping between Forever Skies and https://store.steampowered.com/app/1265800/Hubris/ we get one good game to pickup Subnautica's torch.

Ugh, requires VR.

Something I wish more games did was give the opportunity to explore while building/upgrading a mobile base. The Cyclops was one of my favorite moments in gaming, it was awesome to navigate around some of the later states of the game and then go sleep in the cabin or tend the internal growbeds. It's a real shame this isn't something that is explored in many games.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 17, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone think Breathedge is going to be Subnautica-like?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hasn't Breathedge been out for ages, and had terrible terrible humor that turned everyone off of it?

As for those other games, if you're walking around with a gun shooting things (and even using it as the crosshair to place objects!) I don't really think they'll be nailing the Subnautica vibe.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone think Breathedge is going to be Subnautica-like?

Breathedge is one of the fastest Steam Refunds I've ever done, awful gameplay loop with a painful tool durability mechanic, but the sheer volume of tired edgelord humor just makes it suck so bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

Breathedge is one of the fastest Steam Refunds I've ever done, awful gameplay loop with a painful tool durability mechanic, but the sheer volume of tired edgelord humor just makes it suck so bad.

Oh, wow, I had no idea. :stare:

Edit: I've only recently gotten a pc that can run recent stuff and must've forgotten that it came out already.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Breathedge sucks rear end. I slogged through a lot of it hoping that the cool base building part would ever happen. Nope, just build some required modules and abandon the whole thing. Humor was not good, and I gave up when I hit a bunch of boring back and forth fetch quest poo poo.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Just died deep within the underground river because I got out of my Seamoth too fast and was run over…

Game owns

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

That being said, I cannot find the last 1/3rd scan for the Cyclops or Aerogel and I’m going crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

omg chael crash posted:

That being said, I cannot find the last 1/3rd scan for the Cyclops or Aerogel and I’m going crazy

Go deeper or scarier. Push your limits. The less you want to be there the closer you are. E. Vast plains and dark depths can't be ignored.

I just figured out Subnautica is an ode to the Smiths

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 18, 2022