Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
easypal fake/hybrid mode is the dumbest poo poo. if you can't send a picture without an internet connection, it's not slow scan tv. cross arms emoji

actual digital sstv is cool when people send pics over the air with it, but i like the analog aesthetic better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

easypal fake/hybrid mode is the dumbest poo poo. if you can't send a picture without an internet connection, it's not slow scan tv. cross arms emoji

Huh wow nice gatekeeping, go back to QRZ grandpa :colbert:

Nah I'm just kidding, the fun part is seeing the picture trickle in over the radio (rather than trickle in over your dialup connection, grandpa). I wasn't even aware of the "hybrid" poo poo, but I've only done analog SSTV.

Speaking of, I set up my hamstick dipole on the 2nd floor balcony a couple nights ago and didn't hear poo poo, I mean not a peep on the entire 20m band except a very brief burst of CW. But then I remembered this probably isn't too surprising on a winter night on 20m, so I'm going to try and fire it up again at lunch today.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i too prefer the noise-ridden garbage that i get over analog SSTV -- theres no mistaking that it came in over the radio. At the same time, its funny to abuse OFDM by cramming it into 2.5 kHz of bandwidth

band conditions on 20m are quite good lately, and 14.230 is hopping with analog SSTV signals right now

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Well folks, I've had enough of this RF noise jamming up my SSTV reception! I'm looking at replacing the power supply for my monitor with something else, and hope it runs quieter. The existing one outputs 50 watts at 12 volts. I suppose I just find a power supply with that spec and a matching connector?

It got me thinking: shouldn't it be possible to have a single power supply (maybe an old ATX PSU) that runs all the monitors and other peripherals? And wouldn't that reduce the possibility of RF noise vs having a bunch of tiny ones of varying efficiency? Is this something that people do?

EDIT: thanks vv
EDIT2: i was talking about my computer's display, not my speakers

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 18, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
absolutely, i prefer 12v for as much stuff as possible. Don't like AC in the shack. My lone holdouts are my monitors (18v) and my big rear end ryzen; everything else except the FT1000MP runs on the 12v system.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when yall say monitors, are you talking speakers or displays? cause every monitor-meaning-display i know of just takes 120vac straight to the domepiece (and probably has some kinda transformer in there but idk what). unfortunately my monitor-meaning-speakers are the same way

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Achmed Jones posted:

when yall say monitors, are you talking speakers or displays? cause every monitor-meaning-display i know of just takes 120vac straight to the domepiece (and probably has some kinda transformer in there but idk what). unfortunately my monitor-meaning-speakers are the same way

There are "monitors as display" that use DC inputs off AC with transformers, it's actually quite common. For "monitors as speakers", those drat things are noisy as hell and generally take AC direct and have transformers build in on the driving unit.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
trying to decode some digital signals. can anyone tell me what this thing on my waterfall is? I've been on https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide and it looks like Olivia to me, but I cant get fldigi to decode it no matter what I try.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

drunk mutt posted:

There are "monitors as display" that use DC inputs off AC with transformers, it's actually quite common

huh cool, that's news to me. thanks!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah computer monitors. a lot of the 24-32" ones take laptop bricks cause thats one less thing they have to design

anyways i'm not sure what that mode is but have a suspicion it's ALE http://hflink.com/automaticlinkestablishment/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Helianthus Annuus posted:

trying to decode some digital signals. can anyone tell me what this thing on my waterfall is? I've been on https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide and it looks like Olivia to me, but I cant get fldigi to decode it no matter what I try.

It looks like only 14 different tones, which is odd. You’d expect 16. Or some other power of 2

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

anyways i'm not sure what that mode is but have a suspicion it's ALE http://hflink.com/automaticlinkestablishment/

i couldn't find that in fldigi, i guess i need to download yet another sketchy unsigned .exe from a non-ssl web server? perhaps this one? http://hflink.com/pcale/ Would love to use something that has a github repo instead.

thehustler posted:

It looks like only 14 different tones, which is odd. You’d expect 16. Or some other power of 2

yeah! i counted the tones as well, and this Russian digital mode was the only 14 tone MFSK i could find on the sig id wiki https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/CIS_MFSK-16_XPA2 but the signal I found seems to use more bandwidth than this.

On the topic of powers of 2, it has this to say: "Although XPA2 uses 14 tones, its spacing suggests 16 possible tones, but two tones are always unused."

And speaking of sketchy unsigned .exe files, the wiki also links to these decoder programs. Anyone have experience using them? here they are:

http://www.kd0cq.com/2013/07/sorcerer-decoder-download/
http://www.signalshed.com/rivet/index.html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah ALE is serious fringe poo poo, even for ham radio. It's really yoinked from the military ALE system. Idea is that you have a rig and automatic antenna tuner that can band switch effortlessly, so you program the ALE channel in like six HF bands in, and hit PTT - the radio squawks out on all the bands, and the destination radio reports back which, if any, band they heard you best on - then the two rigs settle there for the contact.

I honestly don't mess with it as you'll get some real military radio dorks in on that, and they can be pretty cringe. "commo" and whatnot.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I tried to give PCALE a try but I ran into some walls that felt really intentionally exclusionary.

I needed to be personally-approved by one person to get necessary config files, and it seemed like that person wasn’t interested in approving anyone without military history, or at least people *really* into playing Army Man.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Even if you get rid of/plug off switchy powers you can still get "killed" by "SOCIETY". (neighbors)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow a shortwave thing made the news

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3vbjj/pirates-spammed-an-infamous-soviet-short-wave-radio-station-with-memes-uvb-76

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
huge CW net on 20m right now! i fired up CW Skimmer, and i'm getting much better decode results than with fldigi.

CW Skimmer costs money -- is there no good open source option for morse decoding?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Not really, no. CW decoders are actually really finicky to write - not because it's hard to decode CW, but because it's hard to machine-decode human-sent CW.

Even FLdigi's pretty lovely decoder works perfectly with computer-sent CW, but it completely falls over with a real fist on the other end (IMO).

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

It'd be a pretty good machine learning problem but you'd need to have years of labeled training data

xblackdog
Dec 19, 2013

Organic Lamb Sauce.
Made for angels, by angels.

Progressive JPEG posted:

It'd be a pretty good machine learning problem but you'd need to have years of labeled training data

Could probably collect a lot of samples from people. Heck, the same person could probably provide several done using different methods (straight key, bug, lambic, etc) since each is going to have different oddities (like bugs having a swing).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

I did a project in my cybernetics course along these lines. I put electrodes on my forearm, tapped my hand on the table, and trained some machine learning algo from that.

I didn't have a lot of training data (because I was generating all training data sitting in the lab) and I surely wasn't "sending" good code. It didn't do a great job of decoding but it picked up some which was enough to get an acceptable grade.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I have been using this thing to practice sending morse on occasion: https://www.elektronik-labor.de/Arduino/MorseKB.html
(if you don't have a german keyboard, change the line keystrokeDE = (usToDE[morsechar]); into keystrokeDE = morsechar;

It decodes my hand sent morse flawlessly. Someone could probably use the code and turn it into something computer executable, tack on some existing filters/ALC and use it that way.

My experiences with standard computer CW decoders are often bad. Only when there is no fading and the signal is strong, it'll give a proper result. So far CWget was the best, but not good enough to spend like 40 euro on.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 26, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the best computer cw thing i've ever seen is the decoder in my old rear end AEA PK-232. You gotta get it right on frequency b/c it's a fixed frequency filter feeding into an integrator or whatever, but it nails it really well. just ascii firehose out the serial port.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

Not really, no. CW decoders are actually really finicky to write - not because it's hard to decode CW, but because it's hard to machine-decode human-sent CW.

Even FLdigi's pretty lovely decoder works perfectly with computer-sent CW, but it completely falls over with a real fist on the other end (IMO).

thanks for the insight -- it makes sense because I read that CW Skimmer uses bayesian rules to decode the messy human-originated morse code. https://ag1le.blogspot.com/2013/01/towards-bayesian-morse-decoder.html

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
In other news: I decoded a digital voice signal on 20m for the first time with this: https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui. The signal turned out to be 700D, and I was only just able to get it to decode with all the fading. Kinda cool, but probably not very useful vs just using SSB

Overall, trying to decode these digital signals is a bad experience. You have to either guess correctly what type of signal it is, or be able to recognize it from prior experience. And unless you make a recording, its usually gone before you get a chance to make a guess.

Speaking of difficult-to-recognize signals... you can hear some spooky stuff on HF sometimes, especially if you listen outside the ham bands. On my waterfall, I thought I saw a carrier wave (somebody tuning up) and then the sudden onset of something that looked like broad spectrum noise. It made me wonder whether someone has developed a digital radio protocol that appears to be environmental noise.

Sure enough, it exists, and its called Spread Spectrum Steganography: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/217680/plausable-deniablity-steganography-in-radio-transmission

xblackdog
Dec 19, 2013

Organic Lamb Sauce.

In other news: I decoded a digital voice signal on 20m for the first time with this: https://github.com/drowe67/freedv-gui. The signal turned out to be 700D, and I was only just able to get it to decode with all the fading. Kinda cool, but probably not very useful vs just using SSB

Overall, trying to decode these digital signals is a bad experience. You have to either guess correctly what type of signal it is, or be able to recognize it from prior experience. And unless you make a recording, its usually gone before you get a chance to make a guess.

Sure enough, it exists, and its called Spread Spectrum Steganography: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/217680/plausable-deniablity-steganography-in-radio-transmission

We had sun the last week so I'd been doing 20m SSTV (I don't have a shack, just a portable setup and mast), and between boomers talking ontop of 14.230, and everyone on SSTV being impatient and txing ontop of each other I only made like three SSTV contacts. Was still fun.

Speaking of difficult-to-recognize signals... you can hear some spooky stuff on HF sometimes, especially if you listen outside the ham bands. On my waterfall, I thought I saw a carrier wave (somebody tuning up) and then the sudden onset of something that looked like broad spectrum noise. It made me wonder whether someone has developed a digital radio protocol that appears to be environmental noise.

Could have been military, or the like too. I can't remember because I don't do that kinda stuff, but isn't there a way to be given bits of out of band spectrum to try out new protocols? Edit: nvm, I failed to read the last sentence.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

xblackdog posted:

I can't remember because I don't do that kinda stuff, but isn't there a way to be given bits of out of band spectrum to try out new protocols?

i'm not licensed to operate a transmitter -- hell, i'm just copy pasting from stack overflow over here! So i defer to someone more knowledgable than i am. But i think the answer is "no (but yes)".

see: https://ham.stackexchange.com/questions/72/encrypted-traffic-and-amateur-radio/112

I'm sure a lot of this stuff is military. However, the existence of this HF Monster shows that even private entities can play around with encrypted data over HF https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/HF_Monster.

So, if you wanna transmit new protocols out of the ham bands, i think you need to 1) be part of the government and/or 2) be sickeningly wealthy

EDIT: other option I forgot to mention is to just do crimes against radio and see what you can get away with, i suppose. But then this guy's gonna drive up to your house https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIGAOLJh-XE

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 1, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xblackdog posted:

but isn't there a way to be given bits of out of band spectrum to try out new protocols? Edit: nvm, I failed to read the last sentence.
Experimental licenses are a thing and have been granted to ham operators in the past. I don't know how easy/hard it is to get one, but it can definitely be done. If you can describe what you want to do, why you want to do it, and how you can be confident it won't cause problems for other radio services it's theoretically doable.

Amateur radio licenses are honestly the most flexible radio license out there. Pretty much every other license type has strict limits on all aspects of the transmission, where ham radio is more or less "stay within the lines and don't try to hide what you're doing".

There are a few arguably needless limits, like certain bands being limited to certain kinds of modulation only, but there's a lot more room to play than you'll get basically anywhere else.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Limiting which modes you can use on certain bands does make sense.

Take the 475khz band and the 136khz band. Those are both about 1 SSB channel wide. Someone using voice there would occupy literally the whole band.

10MHz is also quite narrow, only 50khz. That would fit a few SSB signals, but they still might bother other users.
There are plenty of other spaces you can use for wider signals.

Almost all other bands are just 'use whatever you want'.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Limiting the amount of bandwidth that is allowed to be used by a single transmission makes sense, especially in the low bands. I'm also entirely behind the idea of keeping separate areas for CW, voice, and data where practical, it makes sense that those actually listening to the airwaves don't want to hear modem noises unless they choose to.

What I have a problem with are the limits on what you can do within that bandwidth where data or is allowed. What modes can be used, what symbol rate can be transmitted, etc. For the most extreme example, look at 70 centimeters. It's completely normal in 70cm to transmit 6 MHz wide amateur TV signals, but data is limited to 100kHz and even within that you're only allowed symbol rates up to 56 kilobaud.

https://hackaday.io/project/164092-npr-new-packet-radio had to add their "x0" mode specifically for the US.

I think that anywhere that data, digital voice, or television modes are allowed should simply have a maximum "channel width" and whatever you can fit within that is allowed. Require that those using unusual modes identify both themselves and their signal in a mode common to the band but let them do whatever works from there. Amateur radio is supposed to be about experimentation, we shouldn't have hard barriers on how efficiently we can use the bandwidth we have.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 2, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

wolrah posted:

Amateur radio is supposed to be about experimentation

Careful with this though - this isn't the sole purpose of it.

If we wanna get real dry,

quote:

(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

Hacking and inventing is one of the goals, but not the only one. A person that gets their ticket and never does anything more than pick up an HT and chitchat once a week is no less a ham than me, even though i've bounced signals off meteor trails and built my own transmitters from scratch.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Anyone know how to order parts from ICOM in America? Or a distributor?
Anyone who has actually succeeded doing this?
I lost the bottom of the case to my IC7300. Whoops.

I've had it splayed open fer fiddlin' since October 21 and haven't seen the bottom since then. Not sure how I lost something that big, awkward and sharp. Sometimes I surprise myself.
Finally got the "form factor" board for my IC7300 display capture project figured out. Would be cool to have my radio back in one piece and closed up.

Broken/for parts ic7300s are $700 on ebay. Absurd.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

Anyone know how to order parts from ICOM in America? Or a distributor?
Anyone who has actually succeeded doing this?
I lost the bottom of the case to my IC7300. Whoops.

I've had it splayed open fer fiddlin' since October 21 and haven't seen the bottom since then. Not sure how I lost something that big, awkward and sharp. Sometimes I surprise myself.
Finally got the "form factor" board for my IC7300 display capture project figured out. Would be cool to have my radio back in one piece and closed up.

Broken/for parts ic7300s are $700 on ebay. Absurd.

Your best bet is probably to contact icom support and see how much they want for a bottom case.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?

manero posted:

Your best bet is probably to contact icom support and see how much they want for a bottom case.

I contacted the ICOM America Parts Department via email twice, a week apart, no response.
I also asked DXengineering, they did respond, said contact "Icom Service Center Michigan". Also tried them, no response.

edit: I suppose I should call them instead of just email. harder to ignore I guess.

e2: has anyone successfully ordered parts for an icom, and how?

horse_ebookmarklet fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 3, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jonny 290 posted:

Careful with this though - this isn't the sole purpose of it.
Of course, I definitely don't mean that in an exclusive, gatekeeping way, just that experimentation is one of the pillars of the service.

xblackdog
Dec 19, 2013

Organic Lamb Sauce.

wolrah posted:

Experimental licenses are a thing and have been granted to ham operators in the past. I don't know how easy/hard it is to get one, but it can definitely be done. If you can describe what you want to do, why you want to do it, and how you can be confident it won't cause problems for other radio services it's theoretically doable.

Amateur radio licenses are honestly the most flexible radio license out there. Pretty much every other license type has strict limits on all aspects of the transmission, where ham radio is more or less "stay within the lines and don't try to hide what you're doing".

There are a few arguably needless limits, like certain bands being limited to certain kinds of modulation only, but there's a lot more room to play than you'll get basically anywhere else.

Interesting. I've got my gen ticket so it wasn't something I'd followed lol. It is pretty nice how lax amateur licenses are, although I do wish licensees would take the time to learn what a band plan is, even if it's optional.

xblackdog fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 4, 2022

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I finally joined the HF club today and managed to work 3 countries with a hugely compromised antenna setup while sat on my sofa. What a day!

Also tried to reply to a CW CQ and mucked it up and got scared and then ran away by tuning away fast.

xblackdog
Dec 19, 2013

Organic Lamb Sauce.

thehustler posted:

I finally joined the HF club today and managed to work 3 countries with a hugely compromised antenna setup while sat on my sofa. What a day!

Also tried to reply to a CW CQ and mucked it up and got scared and then ran away by tuning away fast.

Congrats! I still haven't tried CW. I can send, but can't receive for poo poo.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
If you guys want to have a gentle introduction to cw, try responding to a Summits On the Air or Parks On The Air activation. You'll be able to listen to the standard exchange multiple times before jumping in, and it's usually pretty low key. I know personally I am happy to work with a faint signal or slow keyer when I'm activating SOTA, and that's my general impression of most activators.

The exchange will go something like this:

CQ SOTA DE WS0TA
WG0ON
WG0ON UR RST 599
UR RST 599
TU 73

here are lists of current activations for SOTA and POTA.

If you want to improve CW receiving, it takes some dedicated practice. I went through the CWOPS academy, but I also found the "Morse Mania" app on Android and iOS to be super helpful if you don't want to commit to scheduled classes.

Walrusmaster fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That’s really helpful, thanks. I intend to get into this and maybe even CW activate as well

Edit: summit code usually in CQ?