Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

There is a $669 i7 6th gen aio on the site that dfsdirect.ca now redirects to. It would need an ssd for ~$40 to be humane to have someone use rather than the cruelty of making someone use a dell 500 gb 2.5 molasses boot drive in 2022.

How I miss the days of buying old workstations for $54 off vfxweb.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
all in ones are great conveniences but unless you're getting an imac (which it sounds like you don't want to pay that much which is fine) you're really best off with the micropc idea and a monitor. cheap pc all-in-ones are mostly unfixable garbage in my experience and anything cheap is likely to still come with an hdd

edit: the best buy marketplace often has some interesting items, too. (lol fu for making me bring up the inspector to get the jpg url)

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-elitedesk-705-g3-mini-desktop-amd-a10-8770e-8-gb-ddr3-128-gb-ssd-windows-10-pro-refurbished/15886909

it does only have an amd a10-8770E in it, and 128 gigs of storage, but at least it's an ssd. and it's $150 right now.

cheap thumb drive would add more if it's a problem.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 17, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dell has their own refurbished store for selling off-lease machines:

https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/

They have sales pretty often, their email newsletter is handy to snap up deals early in a sale. I was impressed when I ordered a laptop from them a few years ago it was immaculately clean and they bundled a brand new power adapter.

e: and memory express has some refurb machines on sale on their front page right now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The Optiplex Micro 30XX series will do what you want and are solid little machines, IMO.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I never even considered Dell refurbished.

What's the thought on something like this?

Gaming is Zuma, Rise of Nations, etc? Nothing intensive.

https://www.dellrefurbished.ca/item/dell-optiplex-7450-aio-5f6b1daf/dell-optiplex-7450-aio/1.html?child=dell-optiplex-7450-aio-000019

A little more than I was thinking, but I do like the AIO package.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's 7th-gen Intel integrated graphics, so you can run stuff on the lowest detail settings and probably hit 30fps. Otherwise the hardware is fine, beyond the fact that as previously noted, AIOs are the worst possible choice 100% of the time unless you're buying an iMac. The LCD panels are usually the cheapest possible TN trash, so it will look bad and you can't get anything better, usually the build quality isn't very good either, but it probably doesn't matter much.

That price isn't great unless it comes with a 1-year warranty, but it may just be that the prices for used hardware have gone up a lot in the last two years, IDK.

e: Yeah, everything there is pricier than I would expect, so I'm guessing prices have gone up. That's probably the cheapest you will find those specs with a display, so if you don't mind maybe getting a grainy looking display with terrible viewing angles that you can't replace, go for it.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 17, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i really think buying a cheap dell aio is just a bad idea if you're planning on using it for several years. i totally get if money were an issue (if it weren't, i'd recommend a mac mini, which is $829 in the education store and will last for at a decade) but just remember when that feels old or gets issues, it will take your screen with it. i'd almost check on kijiji to see if there's anything at all reasonable first.

quote:

e: That's probably the cheapest you will find those specs with a display, so if you don't mind maybe getting a grainy looking display with terrible viewing angles that you can't replace, go for it.

mostly agree, you could probably minmax it and wait and buy separately but i get if thats a pain

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mediaphage posted:

i really think buying a cheap dell aio is just a bad idea if you're planning on using it for several years. i totally get if money were an issue (if it weren't, i'd recommend a mac mini, which is $829 in the education store and will last for at a decade)

This, unironically. 2012 Mac Mini I'm only looking to replace now that the M1s are here. Excellent machine if all you do is type and browse.
Also gently caress Windows 10. The most not-straightforward Settings and options organization i have ever seen.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 17, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, the Mrs. Has been using a lovely TN display for years and has had zero problems with it. Not Mac people and tbh I have zero problems with Win 10.

I'll keep my eyes open a bit more, by coincidence, my Lenovo is coming up for it's lease next month, I might see if I can buy it out if it's cheap enough through my company but I doubt they will.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

This, unironically. 2012 Mac Mini I'm only looking to replace now that the M1s are here. Excellent machine if all you do is type and browse.
Also gently caress Windows 10. The most not-straightforward Settings and options organization i have ever seen.

You got it backwards skip. Settings are a disaster on all apple devices, none of which have any business existing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

codo27 posted:

You got it backwards skip. Settings are a disaster on all apple devices, none of which have any business existing

this is not a thread for arguing about this

all of you are wrong. as yospos dictates all computers are bad so don't turn an internet thread into a brand war slapfight

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I didn't mean to get this into a Mac/Win/Commodore superiority pissing match.

That said, Lenovo actually has some other nice looking AIO that with various programs (parent/student) brings down the i5 unit to $8xx with free shipping. IPS screen, 8GB RAM, 10th gen, SSD and SATA for bulk. The cheapo i3 can be had for ~$700, but only 4GB RAM.

I'll give a better look at it, thanks everyone for their input and I apologize for a thread hijack.

e:
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/aio-300-series/IdeaCentre-AIO-3-22IMB05/p/F0EV0029US

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/aio-300-series/IdeaCentre-AIO-3-22IMB05/p/F0EV0028US

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 18, 2022

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Please don’t shut this conversation down until I can show off a pc made of dreg parts on Amazon.ca that don’t show up on pcpartpicker because there is a fascinating world of brand new am3 motherboards being made by ghost oems that would not otherwise see the light of day

And the ssds are a sight to behold making tcsunbow look like 90’s ibm

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

shadow puppet of a posted:

Please don’t shut this conversation down until I can show off a pc made of dreg parts on Amazon.ca that don’t show up on pcpartpicker because there is a fascinating world of brand new am3 motherboards being made by ghost oems that would not otherwise see the light of day

Oh hell yeah, sounds neat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

And the ssds are a sight to behold making tcsunbow look like 90’s ibm

no thats fine and hilarious, you arent being bitchy about it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Don't encourage him.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If you want off lease laptops, https://icssystems.ca (danforth east) have been around for a while.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

infernal machines posted:

Don't encourage him.

To what? Deliver incredible value in an easily _vesa mountable_ PC that meets every single on of OP's needs?

Sadly the AM3 mobo selection from trusted names like Bobotron, Ctzrzyt and Fulshi now push $77 so they are right out. But we do have assembled before us Amazon.ca's cheapest plausibly deniable "modern" PC that legally could be considered to be able to execute binary instructions and/or run Windows10.

mobo $30.59 +5.99 shipping, A presumed to be new-old stock Gigabyte model that has 2022-spec integrated graphics.

https://www.amazon.ca/YoBuyBuy-G41MT-S2-Mainboard-G41MT-D3-Computer/dp/B09MKRWVVH/

CPU $18.95 FREE SHIPPING Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Dual-Core Processor, 2.66 GHZ, 4M L2 Cache. Presumed but not stated to come with an HSF. Loved by several Germans in the review section.

https://www.amazon.ca/Intel-Dual-Core-Processor-1333MHz-LGA775/dp/B000R9BJ2C/

Ram $19.99 FREE SHIPPING - Sadly the cheapest 4GB DDR3 ram is findable on PCPartpicker Foiled again, PCpartslicker who should feel bad for wasting $2.55 worth of John Q. Ddr3Rambuyer's money with their garbage recommendations.

https://www.amazon.ca/Patriot-Signature-PC3-10600-Memory-PSD34G13332/dp/B003GSLDJ0/

SSD $16.90 FREE SHIPPING Somnambulist 2.5 Inch SATA 3 60GB, or upgrade to 120 for $23.55. Vastly cheaper than you'd ever find on PCpartsnicker.

https://www.amazon.ca/Somnambulist-120GB-Internal-Laptop-Bear-60GB/dp/B096LXCCGR/

Extra storage $4.13 FREE SHIPPING 8Gb Flash drive pre loaded with 350 hours of the teachings of Dhadhi Vaaraan

https://www.amazon.ca/%E0%A8%B5%E0%.../dp/B07QMR99NG/

PSU $31.12 FREE SHIPPING Coolmax I-400, meets all legal requirements to earn the coveted ATX & SATA designations.

https://www.amazon.ca/Coolmax-I-400-Power-Supply-Cooling/dp/B0081H7E4E/r

Case $29.36 Acrylic slab, M-ATX form factor. Easily mountable in any VESA pattern you care to drill the holes for.

https://www.amazon.ca/Computer-Transparent-Acrylic-Modified-Motherboard/dp/B09F6SHD99

To your door for 159.59 157.03 plus tax with presumed warranty coverage on several parts, presumed medium-low risk of fire from the Coolmax and presumed enlightenment from the teachings of Messrs. Vaaraan & Kavishri. Easily worth the $7 premium over that HP bestbuy thing for the PCIe, PCI, LPT1 and COM1 expandability

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 18, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao that was a lot of work to put together something worse than the $150 hp crapbox i posted earlier

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

good work though

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just wanna say those tiny hp g3 sffs are great, we bought a ton for work stuff and I was always happy with them.

Was kind of annoying when they got rid of the vga ports (all the kvm stuff in the lab was vga)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

To what? Deliver incredible value in an easily _vesa mountable_ PC that meets every single on of OP's needs?

Sadly the AM3 mobo selection from trusted names like Bobotron, Ctzrzyt and Fulshi now push $77 so they are right out. But we do have assembled before us Amazon.ca's cheapest plausibly deniable "modern" PC that legally could be considered to be able to execute binary instructions and/or run Windows10.

mobo $30.59 +5.99 shipping, A presumed to be new-old stock Gigabyte model that has 2022-spec integrated graphics.

https://www.amazon.ca/YoBuyBuy-G41MT-S2-Mainboard-G41MT-D3-Computer/dp/B09MKRWVVH/

Optimized for 45mm CPU indeed.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You Canadians sure are serious about your boxes of ram and fans and poo poo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nitr0 posted:

You Canadians sure are serious about your boxes of ram and fans and poo poo.

Try living somewhere where the warmth from your PC's exhaust fans is literally the only thing keeping you alive

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The only cloud services we get here are the condensed vapor from our breath in the freezing air

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Anyone know if Telus or Shaw has any promos running or coming up in Vancouver? My old rate of $55/mo for Fiber 300 is ending and Telus wants to more than double it…

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

Anyone know if Telus or Shaw has any promos running or coming up in Vancouver? My old rate of $55/mo for Fiber 300 is ending and Telus wants to more than double it…

check redflagdeals’ hot forum

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Acer Pilot posted:

Just call Telus and ask for retention, you'll have to speak to someone to get transferred (either billing or even tech support). They'll probably just give you another 2 year term similar to your old one.

I had just had something similar. My 750 2 year term expired last month and was going to go up something like $60-$70.

I called them and they kept everything the same but Gigabit and the price was literally $2-3 difference from the old term.

We have our landline (yes) with 1 or 2 calling features and gigabit unlimited (no cap) for....$85 I think?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I want Telus to put gigabit in my area dammit. I have the Shaw Gb but fibre would be better.

Telus maxes out at 75Mb or something lame like that here.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mediaphage posted:

lmao that was a lot of work to put together something worse than the $150 hp crapbox i posted earlier

Is there any way to tell with refurbs how old they are? My mom's 11 year old windows 7 desktop she uses for youtube and stardew valley is slow as hell now, and I suspect part of the problem is all the moving parts are 11 years old. (I've gone through and cleared out the software cruft and startup programs that tend to accumulate over the years, but it is still slower than when it was new.) She's reluctant to replace it because "it still works".

My suspicion is that a 1 year old HD will be more reliable for longer than a 5 year old HD, but the listings for refurbs never mention how old the dang thing is.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Is there any way to tell with refurbs how old they are? My mom's 11 year old windows 7 desktop she uses for youtube and stardew valley is slow as hell now, and I suspect part of the problem is all the moving parts are 11 years old. (I've gone through and cleared out the software cruft and startup programs that tend to accumulate over the years, but it is still slower than when it was new.) She's reluctant to replace it because "it still works".

My suspicion is that a 1 year old HD will be more reliable for longer than a 5 year old HD, but the listings for refurbs never mention how old the dang thing is.

if you get one that can be returned, i'd get something and run a scan or something. or honestly a 128gb ssd is cheap as poo poo these days, just throw one in. i wouldn't make anyone use a hard drive as a primary drive these days. it's just mean.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you should replace the HDD with a large SSD yourself, much more cost effective and environmental

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Please don’t buy any computer where the drive is listed as an hdd. Only buy it if it says ssd, it makes a world of difference.

If you want to save money, If you have a huge nerd local to you, get a $59 500gb ssd, image that with your moms current hdd using the free software bundled with the ssd and get a few more happy years use out of the pc she likes. Put the old hdd on a shelf as a backup. I’ve done this for lots of people and every time they have been happy to get to keep their same pc with all their crazy setting and files, but much faster

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

priznat posted:

I want Telus to put gigabit in my area dammit. I have the Shaw Gb but fibre would be better.

Telus maxes out at 75Mb or something lame like that here.

Same, but bell/Rogers. I wonder what it would cost to get it pulled, but I can’t find the office to call/email.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It should be illegal to sell computers without an SSD.

Answered a Statistics Canada survey recently about Internet access in the North. Sadly they didn't ask about pricing, just speed and availability, which has been adequate.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CoolCab posted:

you should replace the HDD with a large SSD yourself, much more cost effective and environmental

Hmm, that's a great idea. If the computer is still too slow I can always put a new SSD in a cheap new computer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh god yes, going to an SSD from a physical platter drive is without question the biggest single improvement you can make to a computer.

I get having a large physical HDD for bulk storage if necessary, but the OS and often accessible problems on an SSD is going to make you wonder why you didn't do it it years ago.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

odiv posted:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

odiv posted:

Answered a Statistics Canada survey recently about Internet access in the North. Sadly they didn't ask about pricing, just speed and availability, which has been adequate.

Not asking about internet pricing when even the news has started admitting people are complaining about it is quite telling about how the CRTC operates with respect to the price fixing cartel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

One of the questions was to give them an estimate of what % of my shopping is online.

I asked for clarification. Is it instances of shopping? Or % of dollars spent? The guy didn't have an answer for me.

edit: we don't even have a cartel where I am. Woo, enforced monopoly.