Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I want to put an air hose reel somewhere in the garage. Where's the best place to do it, bearing in mind the garage door would probably be up some of the time when I work?

not really a very interesting pic but - basically that's my garage. I could do like, back wall between where the cars would go, side walls, front wall next to the garage door, or roof, seem like the major options.

Don't worry about the mechanics of getting hose there - I'll run copper pipe through the attic to get it where it needs to go. And this is going to be part of a major cleanup of the garage, to get it insulated and drywalled. And I need to tear down and redo a bunch of the drywall that's already up due to some water damage. Just worry about where would the most convenient place for the reel be.

I only have one car so the right side there is storage for now. Far back on the right side would be a pain, but I could do front right. That's also where the trash cans live, but if I go high enough that's not a problem. Front left I have shovels/etc stacked up.

Roof I'd have to have a pulldown cable obviously, and it'd have to be far enough back to clear the garage door when it's up.

Back wall has farther to go to get to stuff, especially if you're not pulled into the garage.

Side walls are fine too, but I have a workbench set up on the left side and the right side is congested with stored stuff and has that window there.

Kinds leaning towards front wall on the right, or right side wall, about 6 feet up so that it clears the trash cans.

edit: I guess comedy option is to run it to multiple locations (say, front left, front right, ceiling middle, back center) and leave myself multiple QDs and just only mount one reel for now.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like the idea of a spool of hose you can carry wherever, then connect it up to one of several taps on the wall as needed.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

that rotary tool seems a lot nicer than the Ryobi rotary tool that I was looking at the other day (part of what prompted my question was that I’m sort of in the market for a rotary tool, but I think I might go for a corded Dremel this time around), which was little more than the whip+base with a solitary, kinda flimsy speed knob on it.

Looks a lot like the Ryobi cordless soldering station, which apparently is comically lovely and somewhat unsafe for frequent use but also arguably the best tool in its class if you, say, live on a farm and need to drag a soldering iron out into a field for whatever reason (to do electrical work on a dead tractor was the example that I saw from one buyer)

Edit: haha holy poo poo I didn’t even see that ppl were talking about the soldering station. There’s a larger, “fancier” one that I was thinking about. Apparently it’s not much fancier.

Here's a very long video tearing into the craziness that is the newest (I guess) ryobi soldering station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xUqBB4FiOQ

I've had a few times in working on stuff when it would have been convenient to have a totally portable soldering station that didn't suck rear end. Then I remembered I have an extension cord and can just use the nice station I already own.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I wanted a portable soldering iron, I would get a TS80.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I mean, for the glue gun/solder iron situation I think it's better to just get the ryobi inverter (which is awesome btw) and then plug in whatever into that.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
Anything in particular to look for in a two/three stage snowblower?

I'm an idiot for thinking I could handle lake effect snow with an electric snowblower + shovels.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

ErikTheRed posted:

I'm an idiot for thinking I could handle lake effect snow with an electric snowblower + shovels.

3 stage is a gimmick.

Get yourself a 300hp Ariens and never worry about it again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ErikTheRed posted:

Here's a word dump of my snow blower experience: Wider means fewer passes. I don't get as much snow in Detroit as people with lake effect, but I have a 2 stage 22 or 24" that so far has been fine for up to 6-8" of snow at a time on my previous 3 car wide driveway that was maybe 30 feet? Mine has an adjustable chute which is nice and allows you to go in different directions vs always kicking it out to one side or in front. Mostly it will still blow in your face regardless. Mine also has "power steering" which I guess is nice and works but probably not necessary if your machine isn't too heavy. No heated grips either but with work gloves I've never needed them. It has a billion speeds but they're all fairly slow so less important I'd say. Amount of snow dictates speed and it really only needs about 2-3 IMO. I really like the electric start on it though. No more pulling your back out trying to stay the thing.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Uncle Enzo posted:

The differentiators are:
Size
Whether it has a hammer mode
General construction (metal chuck)
Power (particularly whether it has "Flexvolt advantage" ie boost mode with the 60v batteries)

Picking one I'd say your biggest choice is whether you need a hammer drill or not since less have that. I have I think the lowest-end (DCD771) and highest-end (DCD999) DeWalt drills. I'm very happy with the small cheap dcd771, lightweight and the clutch is fantastic for assembling furniture- I can dial it in where the fastener just barely dimples the wood before it cuts out. I've also drilled 1/2" holes through plate steel.

The big one, the dcd999, is much larger and much heavier. But it has a shitload of power and it was the only yellow hammer drill in stock at the store the day I needed one. Among other things I've used it to drill several dozen 1/2" holes in a concrete pond liner in a surprise hazardous pond I found on my sister's property. Holding it one-handed it blasted through 2" of concrete in about 2 seconds.

After you decide on whether you need a hammer drill I wouldn't stress it- they're all powerful, perfectly capable tools. Buy something on sale that feels good in your hand. If you have smaller hands, buy one from the Atomic line. Same batteries, smaller size, same or even more power.

If you can't tell the difference, the differences may not matter much for your needs. Assuming fairly standard needs.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I see the package deal comes with an even lower number (DCD707 or something). I'll have to spend some time on the dewalt site to see what the exact differences are I guess.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I have the 996, metal chuck is nice upgrade. I used the hammer function to drill through brick to install an exterior outlet. It worked but I am renting a SDS next time I need a hole bigger than 1/2”.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Snowblower chat.

Buy the widest most HP one you can afford and fit in your garage.

I live in a great lakes snow belt and I have a 24 inch ariens 2 stage. It doesn't snow enough anymore for me to mentally justify an upgrade but this morning, moving about 18 inches on a standard suburban 2 car garage driveway took me about an hour, with the speed on 1 or 2 the entire time, since the snow was as deep as the mouth of the auger. If the snow is at all wet, it really struggles.

Growing up (still in a snow belt) we had a monster 3 foot wide toro(?) blower with a big rear end tecumseh engine and that thing would rip through snow like it was nothing. Wish I had something that size, because when you need it you need it. Maybe if the ariens dies before the great lakes becomes a tropical rainforest I will treat myself.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And if you have a lot of space to clear and a riding mower with a removable deck look to see if there is an attachment for that. I have a big-rear end rural laneway and my 44" blower laughs at it like 14 carat gold Homer laughs at Lenny.

But also measure any gates that you want to pass through because it would be pretty brutal to have a 28 inch gate at the end of a 30 foot sidewalk and a 36 inch blower.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Speaking of snowblowers is there a good solution for dealing with stairs? Our whole lot is on a slope so the driveway is one long hill but our front walk has two sets of stairs on it (one wooden and one concrete set). Seems like it would be a pain to bring the snowblower out around our retaining wall or across the yard to get between sections of the sidewalk just for 30 seconds of snowblowing.

I saw the mega expensive ones with tracks can handle stairs I think? Seems like it would be pretty hard on the wooden ones at least not to mention possibly the transmission on the thing.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Squibbles posted:

Speaking of snowblowers is there a good solution for dealing with stairs?

Shovels and salt/sand

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

3 stage is a gimmick.

Get yourself a 300hp Ariens and never worry about it again.

I've been really happy with my Cub Cadet 2x 26" with the upgraded engine - 357cc I think?

I'm in Buffalo and it handles everything like a champ. Ariens is fantastic, it's a top tier blower, but when I compared I could get a similar engine and size in the cub for about $500 less.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

El Mero Mero posted:

Shovels and salt/sand

Yeah, I mean that's what do do now. I guess there's no point in getter a snowblower given that it's just a sidewalk and the area around my car that I shovel. Just kinda sucks to do even that amount when there's a foot of wet snow

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I prefer a stiff broom for the stairs. Scrape them once, dust em off, and good to go.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Can't believe no one has suggested propane brush torch for snow removal.

please don't do this

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Dig up your sidewalk and driveway and repour them with a bunch of pex loops. run warm glycol through them, heating the concrete above freezing. never shovel again bing bong

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I own a bunch of Dewalt 20v and 60v hand tools. How good is the quick connect dust collection system? Right now I just connect my shop vac to whatever via a rubber plumbing connector. It works fine but a 2 1/2” hose that’s only 8ft long is kinda annoying.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Literally A Person posted:

please don't do this

If you're averse to burning carbon may I suggest the 80V two stage snowblower?

I've had one going on 3 or 4 years now and it's pretty good. Be advised the tires are tubeless and if you let it sit with 100% zero maintenance for 3 or 4 years they will eventually go flat and then the self-propelled bit doesn't work so well. It'll still work a little bit. It's not so bad that I'm motivated to re-seat the bead. I mean, I tried but once tubeless tires are off the rim it's a pain to get air back in them. I've seen people suggest setting fire to your tires to get them re-seated, but then you're back to the propane torch.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Proper application of a propane torch can take care of any problem.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Squibbles posted:

Speaking of snowblowers is there a good solution for dealing with stairs? Our whole lot is on a slope so the driveway is one long hill but our front walk has two sets of stairs on it (one wooden and one concrete set). Seems like it would be a pain to bring the snowblower out around our retaining wall or across the yard to get between sections of the sidewalk just for 30 seconds of snowblowing.

I saw the mega expensive ones with tracks can handle stairs I think? Seems like it would be pretty hard on the wooden ones at least not to mention possibly the transmission on the thing.

We have a long sloping driveway, if it's light/fluffy snow the backpack leafblower works really well and is much quicker than shovel or snowblower. Might be an option for you at least sometimes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

withak posted:

Proper application of a propane torch can take care of any problem.

Torch: More Fire
Extinguisher: Less Fire

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

sanchez posted:

We have a long sloping driveway, if it's light/fluffy snow the backpack leafblower works really well and is much quicker than shovel or snowblower. Might be an option for you at least sometimes.

Yeah maybe. Our driveway is about 125 or 150 feet long. I have a dewalt cordless blower that could probably clear a few inches. Right now we don't clear the driveway at all and just park up by the road when it snows. So far the nova scotia winters have been fairly tame, with snow typically melting within a week or so, which makes running an extension cord out to charge the car not such a big deal. Though this January has had longer cold stretches than we've seen here since we moved here in 2020 and it has me thinking more about dealing with it long term.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Literally A Person posted:

please don't do this

My dad does this on his sidewalk. Works great.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

DreadLlama posted:

If you're averse to burning carbon may I suggest the 80V two stage snowblower?

I've had one going on 3 or 4 years now and it's pretty good. Be advised the tires are tubeless and if you let it sit with 100% zero maintenance for 3 or 4 years they will eventually go flat and then the self-propelled bit doesn't work so well. It'll still work a little bit. It's not so bad that I'm motivated to re-seat the bead. I mean, I tried but once tubeless tires are off the rim it's a pain to get air back in them. I've seen people suggest setting fire to your tires to get them re-seated, but then you're back to the propane torch.

I did see that Ego has a two stage blower, I would certainly like to not have to deal with gas. Seems to be out of stock most places though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

MRC48B posted:

Dig up your sidewalk and driveway and repour them with a bunch of pex loops. run warm glycol through them, heating the concrete above freezing. never shovel again bing bong

This is actually the emergency room solution to ice and snow. Our slanted (underground) ambulance parking ramps all are heated. It's kind of ridiculous but at the same time the only way to make sure that ambulances don't become single use during ice rain or snowstorms.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

SEKCobra posted:

This is actually the emergency room solution to ice and snow. Our slanted (underground) ambulance parking ramps all are heated. It's kind of ridiculous but at the same time the only way to make sure that ambulances don't become single use during ice rain or snowstorms.

Why would they be leaving?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

The Bandit posted:

To provide emergency medical services to people?

Or is this some :thejoke:?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Bandit posted:

lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SEKCobra posted:

To provide emergency medical services to people?

Or is this some :thejoke:?

From the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread:

Your Gay Uncle posted:

BLADE:

Quinn escapes Blade by jumping off the hospital roof and landing on an ambulance that was leaving.

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Platystemon posted:

From the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread:

Ah thanks for the explanation, that is indeed a good reference haha.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

ErikTheRed posted:

I did see that Ego has a two stage blower, I would certainly like to not have to deal with gas. Seems to be out of stock most places though.

I don't have the snow blower, but dove headfirst into their ecosystem when my gas mower bit the dust and couldn't be happier.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Calidus posted:

I own a bunch of Dewalt 20v and 60v hand tools. How good is the quick connect dust collection system? Right now I just connect my shop vac to whatever via a rubber plumbing connector. It works fine but a 2 1/2” hose that’s only 8ft long is kinda annoying.

I have a quick connect thing on my Dewalt corded sander and a Dewalt shop vac. The connector works well on the sander, the shop vac hose though just sleeve fits onto the connector so it can still slide off if you pull it away too far or too fast. If you already have something from your dust collection that fits and its not completely annoying to deal with I probably wouldn't bother.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

That Works posted:

I have a quick connect thing on my Dewalt corded sander and a Dewalt shop vac. The connector works well on the sander, the shop vac hose though just sleeve fits onto the connector so it can still slide off if you pull it away too far or too fast. If you already have something from your dust collection that fits and its not completely annoying to deal with I probably wouldn't bother.

I had the idea of buying the Dewalt replacement hose with the connector($45) then attach that to a cyclone separator on 5 gallon bucket.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

Be advised the tires are tubeless and if you let it sit with 100% zero maintenance for 3 or 4 years they will eventually go flat and then the self-propelled bit doesn't work so well. It'll still work a little bit. It's not so bad that I'm motivated to re-seat the bead. I mean, I tried but once tubeless tires are off the rim it's a pain to get air back in them. I've seen people suggest setting fire to your tires to get them re-seated, but then you're back to the propane torch.

Ratchet strap. Right down the centerline.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Mundon posted:

I don't have the snow blower, but dove headfirst into their ecosystem when my gas mower bit the dust and couldn't be happier.

I never thought I’d see an electric tool company with that much “in your face green” branding develop the fanbase among the sorts of guys who cultivate and express fandom for tool companies that EGo has managed to build in like a decade and a half.

Like it’s one thing for my Tesla owner, 30-year user of plug-in electric yard tools father to fall in love with his EGo ecosystem tools, and another thing entirely for dudes who do landscaping/construction/maintenance/facilities/property mgmt to rep EGo beanies and swear by their battery chainsaws and whatnot.

And their commercial line isn’t even out yet.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Squibbles posted:

Interesting, thanks for the info. I see the package deal comes with an even lower number (DCD707 or something). I'll have to spend some time on the dewalt site to see what the exact differences are I guess.

Post the model number on here if you like, someone will have used it. I doubt you can go wrong unless you actually have major, specific demands you're not talking about. If you're looking to drill holes and drive fasteners in wood and metal anything in the 3 major colors will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Uncle Enzo posted:

Post the model number on here if you like, someone will have used it. I doubt you can go wrong unless you actually have major, specific demands you're not talking about. If you're looking to drill holes and drive fasteners in wood and metal anything in the 3 major colors will work.

Yeah for sure. It was more a curiosity thing and wondering why they had very similar packages and pretty big price differences