Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Mazerunner posted:

Tasting History does some neat recreations of historical dishes

They're pretty good, from what I've seen of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mazerunner posted:

Tasting History does some neat recreations of historical dishes

I've tried a few of the better looking ones and so far I've really enjoyed them. The hippocras was delicious with an orange slice tossed in, and the pecan pie was way better than the syrupy version we have now

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Holy poo poo, I was just thinking they might be exaggerating how much they paid to up the value. But no, Christie’s have the price it sold for on the auction site.

https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6345488

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bismuth posted:

I've tried a few of the better looking ones and so far I've really enjoyed them. The hippocras was delicious with an orange slice tossed in, and the pecan pie was way better than the syrupy version we have now

I hosed up the pecan pie somehow and got something that tasted like lovely quiche. I should try it again sometime.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Scientastic posted:

Holy poo poo, I was just thinking they might be exaggerating how much they paid to up the value. But no, Christie’s have the price it sold for on the auction site.

https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6345488

I still wonder how it got that high though.

I mean who were they bidding against?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It blows my mind people are still pulling "I have a black friend" as if they don't know as well as anyone that this excuse never amounts to anything. It's used so widely and mockingly in the most popular media surely they must know this by now. Is it just a case of "oh, well I actually do so..." or not believing they could ever be that person?

Data Graham posted:

500-800 AD
Dark Ages
Renaissance

All the same thing
If it helps, I just read that the Renaissance Men are coming into town.
E: Really soon, by the looks of it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Deptfordx posted:

I still wonder how it got that high though.

I mean who were they bidding against?

Maybe they just went straight in at that value?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Scientastic posted:

Maybe they just went straight in at that value?

My auction strategy is unbeatable: first, I immediately bid 10-50x the market value of the item. This makes everyone else think I'm so wealthy that any counter bid will be deftly beaten, thus ensuring that no one else even tries bidding. I've never lost even once with this strategy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kit Walker posted:

My auction strategy is unbeatable: first, I immediately bid 10-50x the market value of the item. This makes everyone else think I'm so wealthy that any counter bid will be deftly beaten, thus ensuring that no one else even tries bidding. I've never lost even once with this strategy

Fry above doesn't help but I heard this in Zapp Brannigan's voice.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fry above doesn't help but I heard this in Zapp Brannigan's voice.

and once we've hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You see, Bidbots have a preset bid limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own money at them until they reached their limit and shut down.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They were probably bidding against someone else in their decentralized autonomous org who either didn't realize they weren't supposed to be bidding on behalf of the DAO or who was trying to buy it themselves for the exact same stupid reasons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

These people are like, idiot parody supervillains. Dr Weird tier.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Dr. Weird made stuff though. These nerds are the Spacecataz aliens.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vib Rib posted:

It blows my mind people are still pulling "I have a black friend" as if they don't know as well as anyone that this excuse never amounts to anything. It's used so widely and mockingly in the most popular media surely they must know this by now. Is it just a case of "oh, well I actually do so..." or not believing they could ever be that person?

Same with "I don't see color".

It's that people don't "get" racism. At all.

People recognize when they have some failings, like if they can't draw or can't sing, but there's no societal ~repercussions~ for being bad at those so they'll own up to it happily or even try to improve. But confront the fact that they're latently racist and/or have benefited from structural racism? That could get them fired by the PC police!!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Memento posted:

and once we've hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate

Lol

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

They were probably bidding against someone else in their decentralized autonomous org who either didn't realize they weren't supposed to be bidding on behalf of the DAO or who was trying to buy it themselves for the exact same stupid reasons.

My RPG group once said "We could do with another copy of the 6th Edition Call of Cthulhu RPG" and we spent 2 days bidding up the price of one on ebay to almost RRP before I went waiiiiiiiittt a minute here and checked with everyone else.

Of course we're not wealthy techbro masters of the universe.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1483432456548196358

https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1483433973711781891

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Jan 18, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Deptfordx posted:

My RPG group once said "We could do with another copy of the 6th Edition Call of Cthulhu RPG" and we spent 2 days bidding up the price of one on ebay to almost RRP before I went waiiiiiiiittt a minute here and checked with everyone else.

Of course we're not wealthy techbro masters of the universe.

Who was left holding the bag?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Syndicalism for idiots! :anarchists:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Oh no, the community

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

drat I didn't know this. I need to have a chat with Nintendo about 34 years of unpaid royalties

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
man i wish my gaming hobby was more like a job! also i'm a gigantic loving moron btw

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
What does "Pay to Earn" mean?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He thinks gamers deserve to earn money for the time they dedicate to playing for reasons.

edit possibly that playing a game should earn people stock in the game or something? Like if a game company is sold the people who played their games the most should be the majority stakeholders?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How the gently caress does this moron think...life works. I'm just amazed at how little there is going on in his brain. Incredible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Scratch Monkey posted:

What does "Pay to Earn" mean?

Play to Earn.

No one, especially the people saying it, actually knows.

Though I think they think that playing a game mean you should like... buy shares in it or something.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Play to Earn is about NFTs, because of course it is. They thing that while playing, you should essentially be mining/earning NFTs that you can own and sell.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

so it's like folding@home but you know, terrible

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
“Play to earn” means they want gold farming to be a core part of the game design rather than just a natural consequence of MMOs being a soulless grind 90% of the time.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That is the dumbest one yet. Honestly, I've seen some dumb poo poo in this thread, but this is phenomenal. What possible incentive does anyone have to make a game "play to earn"?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Somebody mentioned a game called Axie Inifinity as a 'counterpoint' to people mocking this, talking about 'all those people overseas making money from gaming'

I looked it up; to start you need to buy 3 'axies' which are like $300 each. Or, you can borrow 3 axies from established players who will then take a %40 of your income. It's pyramid schemes all the way down

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"M'Lord!!!" gasps the hurrying peasant, "the Right-Click Brigands hath broken through the blockchain and attacked yon Bitcoin mines! Even now the villains doth defile Her Majesty's NFTs!"

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I laugh, weakly, for I would make exactly this kind of mistake

At least I wouldn't confidently display my idiocy for all to see, though

Wait, gently caress

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Dewgy posted:

“Play to earn” means they want gold farming to be a core part of the game design rather than just a natural consequence of MMOs being a soulless grind 90% of the time.

I'd be fine if they gave me money to watch ads in games, unlike now where it's the complete opposite.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

This is like when really young kids think 1/4 is bigger than 1/2 because the bottom number is bigger.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Captain Monkey posted:

This is like when really young kids Americans in general think 1/4 is bigger than 1/2 because the bottom number is bigger.

FTFY

Sincerely,
A former math teacher

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fractions are like literally the easiest thing for kids to grasp

americans are just actively miseducated at every level despite Sesame Street's best efforts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

FTFY

Sincerely,
A former math teacher

This is a weird change to make considering what started this