Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Barry Foster posted:

Marmite and marmalade? Now I've heard it all!!!

But no, butter goes on toast on its own, not with other things, it is final

I have spoken

Butter and jam is the toast topping of the gods and I will hear no bad word about it.

e: gently caress. The Channel Tunnel would be announced two days from now, if it was 1986.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

keep punching joe posted:

It's because Starmer is poo poo, and Labour have no policies, and are therefore unable to capitalise on the government melting down of its own accord.

As soon as the Tories get a "competent replacement" in to fill Johnson's shoes we'll start to see their polling improve again. Labour's entire plan seems to be "wait for Johnson to be kicked out by his own side" and little else. Starmer simply isn't a politician. He's surrounded by scheming ideologues and he is too easily led to be anything more than a wet Tory puppet for them to point and shoot at whoever they feel is the enemy: ie, the left. Wholly uninterested in winning an election because they have no answers and know that they'll be shown up as the fraudulent inadequates they are in any election campaign.

Part of me weeps. Another part of my can't wait to wait them flail around while they get smeared and slammed by every tabloid in the country, despite selling the working class out to them at the earliest convenience.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Last night I got a jar of Marmite, I put it on some toast and it was awful. Just god awful.

Today I got home from work and found myself feeling like some toast with marmite (and butter).

What the hell?

I really wanna try vegemite too now. But it's out of stock.

Your body obviously craves the B-Vitamins.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So why 'if they are all the same" does that translate to tory votes? I don't get it.

People not voting impacts the non-tory parties more. In essence, the tories have a solid floor of people who will always vote for them no matter what. The other parties don't have the benefits of nationalism, and the peculiar british character of punching out at anyone who looks like they have it better than you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
FPTP but if non-voters win it goes to a random person on the constituency roll

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

Unironically probably a better voting system than what we have.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

If recent events have taught us anything it's that government by jury would probably be a lot better for everyone.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

fatelvis posted:

What do you mean by "zealous circadian rhythm habits" - sleep hygiene/regularity?

Yeah all that. There is a great adhd thread in e/n

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Anarchists and MLists routinely do work together at protests and on pickets.

Maybe London just has more of an issue with this than other places in the UK then. The scene here is dramatically more fractured than other cities, from what I gather.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Bring back the Athenian system imo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think they're already working on the "no votes for slaves" and "noncing acceptable if you're rich" bits.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Replace the commons with a battle royale and whoever holds the mace gets to make the laws.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

keep punching joe posted:

Bring back the Athenian system imo.

I enjoyed something I watched the other day about Athenian democracy, apparently there were no taxes but every year a list of the richest citizens was publicly displayed and each one was given a duty for the year proportional to their wealth. So the richest guy in town might be asked to build a whole rear end temple or whatever, others needed to build/maintain roads and marketplaces, and all public works were completed by this system. Being a society big on grand displays of honour and civic pride as a way to show off your prestige it apparently worked out alright as it goes, though I'm sure some did take the piss. Just lol at trying that now though. Eh, Bezos, turns out you've got to fund a US-wide high speed rail network to be made available to all citizens at affordable prices or you will no longer be welcome in this republic.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Jakabite posted:

Maybe London just has more of an issue with this than other places in the UK then. The scene here is dramatically more fractured than other cities, from what I gather.

The narcissism of small differences - the left is the loving worst for this

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Australia has mandatory voting; nonetheless a turnout of 90%+ does not render its political zeitgeist substantively different from the rest of the Anglosphere or the West

whilst there is probably a significantly-different-from-zero partisan skew to marginal voters, the magnitude of the skew is probably not very large; mainly it would matter to very close elections - that is, apathetic voters are not exactly indifferent voters but they're pretty close

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 18, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's why constituency sortition if non-voters win is better than mandatory voting. It'd probably have a Tory bias in the short run, but every party would have to campaign both against each other and against voter apathy.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

That's why constituency sortition if non-voters win is better than mandatory voting. It'd probably have a Tory bias in the short run, but every party would have to campaign both against each other and against voter apathy.

This, but instead a random winner, we have an execution.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Honestly I can't be arsed getting into a big debate today, my point was just that co-operation is theoretically possible. The Kronstadt rebellion for example was I think completely misjudged in timing (though not necessarily intent), the later treatment of anarchists in the USSR was also counterproductive and wrong. I'm not really interested in relitigating any of this, just suggesting that political relations between the two groups don't always have to replicate these historical events.

"I don't want to have this conversation" *proceeds to make a point I already debunked about the timing of Kronstadt*

Maybe some time you do want the discussion you can suggest when would've been an appropriate time to challenge the dictatorship of the party. Because if not after White's were such a small concern that the Red Army Had turned on their former allies in the Ukraine when?

Can't be 1922 when the Workers' Opposition were kicked out for wanting workers (BOLSHEVIK WORKERS at that) to have more say than the rising bureaucracy in the running of the state. By the 30s, ah, got to combat fascism abroad and then as soon as WW2 is over they can claim to be undersiege with the Cold War

Nevermind that the bureaucracy is firmly established really strong by 24/25

None of this really matters to contemporary politics except when daft gits ask why can't all just come together and another blames the anarchists for just not wanting to work with Leninists. Pet peeve

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 18, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Switch to PR, and non-votes count towards electing cats. Said cats get to roam around Parliament and they count as voting against in all votes. Without a sufficient coalition being formed, one of the cats will be appointed PM.

The Cat Rule will ensure the parties have to care about high turnout.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

"I don't want to have this conversation" *proceeds to make a point I already debunked about the timing of Kronstadt*

Maybe some time you do want the discussion you can suggest when would've been an appropriate time to challenge the dictatorship of the party. Because if not after White's were such a small concern that the Red Army Had turned on their former allies in the Ukraine when?

Can't be 1922 when the Workers' Opposition were kicked out for wanting workers (BOLSHEVIK WORKERS at that) to have more say than the rising bureaucracy in the running of the state. By the 30s, ah, got to combat fascism abroad and then as soon as WW2 is over they can claim to be undersiege with the Cold War

Nevermind that the bureaucracy is firmly established really strong by 24/25

I wish the bolshevik revolution wasn't more or less the only history taught in schools.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jiggerypokery posted:

I wish the bolshevik revolution wasn't more or less the only history taught in schools.

I didn't get to do anything on it in school which blows,but gently caress it, it'd have been garbage anyway

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

If recent events have taught us anything it's that government by jury would probably be a lot better for everyone.

Ironically that is sort of the system you do have.

In that if people decide they just don't want to do jury duty*, the pool is made up of people who actively want to be on a jury. And, in my experience, the people who actively want to serve on a jury are the ones most likely to want to convict the accused, regardless of the merits of the case.

Much like "if most people don't show up, the right wing parties voters still show up."

* = not that they aren't able to do it, because there are absolutely people who have commitments or difficulties that make them unable to do jury summons. But there are people who don't feel like doing it and get out of it for that reason.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I blew off jury duty during my PhD cause I was stressed to the balls and living off an overdraft, but I still feel kinda guilty at the possibility that some gammon took my place.

Would love to lead a jury towards nullification and get some non-dangerous defendant exculpated. I'm sure there's plenty of reasons it doesn't work like that in reality but it's a nice hero fantasy

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the classic Marxist argument against anarchism is 1848, isn't it, and the Marxist-Leninist argument against anarchism is 1968, in Paris and Prague both

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

I've just read something that made me realise that Gordon Brown is probably the best PM this country has had in my lifetime, and now I want to walk into the sea with no clothes on and then just keep walking...

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

lol, lmao

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1483469727511064582?s=20

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Switch to PR, and non-votes count towards electing cats. Said cats get to roam around Parliament and they count as voting against in all votes. Without a sufficient coalition being formed, one of the cats will be appointed PM.

The Cat Rule will ensure the parties have to care about high turnout.

I have never wanted to be a politician more

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/mish_rahman/status/1483489487959302145

150,000 gone since the advent of Kieth

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

And they've gone up to 10 pts ahead

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

None of this really matters to contemporary politics except when daft gits ask why can't all just come together and another blames the anarchists for just not wanting to work with Leninists. Pet peeve

No, it still doesn't matter then.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

What are the odds conservatives think Maxwell is ganna name and shame Boris/his wife/his family and are hoping to oust him before that happens?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Prole posted:

I've just read something that made me realise that Gordon Brown is probably the best PM this country has had in my lifetime, and now I want to walk into the sea with no clothes on and then just keep walking...

he was and I voted lib dem to my eternal shame :commissar:

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

jiggerypokery posted:

he was and I voted lib dem to my eternal shame :commissar:

So did I. Student, init. Radicalising moment for me, that election.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very glad I did not have a lib dem phase. Have instead had a mild goth phase which has been ongoing for about 15 years, which is much less cringey.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I remember being a teenager and CLAIGMANIA gripping the youth.

The Lib Dems being irrelevant is good, but the fact they've recovered at all since then breaks my heart.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

Very glad I did not have a lib dem phase. Have instead had a mild goth phase which has been ongoing for about 15 years, which is much less cringey.

It wasn't a Lib Dem phase really. Just a "they're scrapping tuition fees" moment of gullibility. I've just about forgiven myself for it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

We all believed in Nick.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

IIRC they were also anti-prohibition and pro-electoral reform which was the main thing i was voting for. Honestly the AV thing was more of a betrayal for me than the tuition fees, which i don't think was the worst policy ever in it's original form.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not so much anti-prohibition as that Alan Johnson shat his pants in public to appeal to the Sun and even Cameron was talking about hugging of hoodies to seem less fash by comparison.

Good to see that startmer has learned from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
The rats are in the bag

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1483492272985542661