Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

the PLP and all the labour staff are generally incredibly racist too

It's fun to remember all the terrible New Labour Home Secretaries and try to choose the worst. David Blunkett? John Reid? Jacqui Smith? So many shitheads to choose from!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

MikeCrotch posted:

Priti Patel would be able to absolutely whip the Tory base into a lather but she's just too vindictive and cruel to be able to hide it and would turn a bunch of people off. Liz Truss has a better chance because she's better at being able to portray that endless optimism like Boris that people just loving lap up.

Sunak will get pushed by the papers but he's just too much of a fiscal hawk - ever Tories want more money to be spent and he's very, very tight with the pursestrings.

Yeah, they're both dumb as hell but Patel's mean and spiteful dumb, whereas Truss is happy, upbeat dumb. I'd actually like to see Truss as PM for a bit, 'cos it'd be loving hilarious.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

does SA support alt-text yet?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Tories are more likely to accept a nonwhite/male or even posh leader because they know anyone who's been allowed to advance to that position is a stalwart, dead-eyed defender of the status quo. Liberals can't extend that kind of trust.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

The sexist racist Labour Party led by Oxford posh boy SIR Keir Starmer, has no chance against the progressive meritocracy of Patel's Tories.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Tories will probably have a Trans leader while Labour are still arguing over the fairest way to verify correct bathroom gender usage.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bathroom cock police are gonna be in the labour manifesto

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Labour can now focus on winning big!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

JoylessJester posted:

The sexist racist Labour Party led by Oxford posh boy SIR Keir Starmer, has no chance against the progressive meritocracy of Patel's Tories.
Keith, but otherwise correct.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://news.sky.com/story/migrant-...hannel-12518663
A senior Home Office source said Ms Patel had been pushing for military involvement for some time and had been repeatedly blocked despite crossings increasing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

You will miss Boris

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60039868?s=09
Nobody warned me drinks event was against rules - PM
Boris Johnson "categorically" denies anyone warned him the No 10 drinks party broke lockdown rules.

why's he admitting it was breaking the rules, trump would never have done that

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Boris is the stoogey clown, whereas turmp was the angry clown. They’re different roles.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

we can now blame the person who didn’t tell him it was against the rules now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jel Shaker posted:

we can now blame the person who didn’t tell him it was against the rules now

South Park episode where teacher Cartman teaches the class to cheat and say 'I misunderstood the rules'

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Because I dug it out for the discord, labour mostly voted against the 3rd reading of the voter ID bill:

With 23 abstaining:

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/1197

although it says that there's a vote discrepancy which is usually an mp not scanning their card properly or something, so some of those abstains might get corrected at some point

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 15:12 on Jan 18, 2022

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

gonadic io posted:

I think most of it stems from her conduct when she was foreign sec: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...d-a8043866.html

The problem was that she wasn't foreign secretary, and but was just...going around acting as if she was?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Cookie Cutter posted:

Where's the "patel is stupid" stuff coming from, I don't remember reading anything about that.

if you believe popbitch then the civil service has rechristened the "amber rudd test" the priti patel test...

on a less scurrilous note, have a look at her policy agenda: she genuinely tried to shutdown all the routes for legal/illegal migration into the uk. obviously people still come becasue they're pushed by massive world historical forces rather than pulled by anything the uk does

so now people still come but via more visible and dangerous routes which reflects badly on her and makes her look weak and makes the gammons even more mad about something must be done!

soon we'll send the troops in!!! and that will fail becasue they don't have the training or the contacts and working arrangements with their french counterparts that the border force has so they're less capable of solving the problem. and so the cycle will continue and ever dumber solutions scraped from the barrel of common sense will be put into practise, what if we just shoot to kill in the world's busiest shipping lane! etc etc

Rustybear has issued a correction as of 16:34 on Jan 18, 2022

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
plenty of previous home secs knew the shell game being played, look tough but actually move as much migration as possible out of the public eye to tamp down the racists and the loonies

she genuinely said what if we just stop doing that? and boris was sufficiently checked-out/pissed to say sure go for it prittster what ho

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, they're both dumb as hell but Patel's mean and spiteful dumb, whereas Truss is happy, upbeat dumb. I'd actually like to see Truss as PM for a bit, 'cos it'd be loving hilarious.

truss does photoshoots where she's 'making a phone call' only her notes are upside down and the phones not plugged in

patel does photo shoots where she's wearing a personalised stab vest deporting an asylum seeker

that's the difference

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

boris isn't going anywhere you idiots

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I mean one of the main differences is that Truss is much more beloved by the Tory selectorate, in part because Truss has never had to get her hands dirty and show how SEND BACK THE BOTES/GLORIOUS BREXIT BRITANE is a sham

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Rustybear posted:

plenty of previous home secs knew the shell game being played, look tough but actually move as much migration as possible out of the public eye to tamp down the racists and the loonies

she genuinely said what if we just stop doing that? and boris was sufficiently checked-out/pissed to say sure go for it prittster what ho

I never thought about it like that, that makes a lot of sense, thanks

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

gonadic io posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-60032465
Government defeated as Lords vote to make misogyny a hate crime
It's pretty telling when the chamber of parasites from another time tell you to gently caress off with your reactionary plan.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
truss has the most powerful stance and rides a tank around

shoe-in

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Weka posted:

I'm not super clued into UK politics but it seems obvious Patel is a Thatcher style liberal and not a fascist.

Thatcher was a fascist, hth

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1483124529215979526?s=20

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Jeep posted:

how the gently caress do you not write but even conjure up such a sentence in your head, look at it and then go "yeah I'm gonna publish this in a national newspaper"

"Since these two women were not reduced to alcoholic wrecks by their abuse* the only possible conclusion is that bulk purchases of Filipino orphans is a net social good that outdated moralists have denied us for too long."

* NB: the family's adopted son was reduced to an alcoholic wreck, also was also pretty much cut out of the will. Guess his familial love was found lacking.

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 18:15 on Jan 18, 2022

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Rustybear posted:

lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Lads, get this: Clown Prince Andrew

lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1483492272985542661?s=20

CMON BORIS JOHNSON! COME OUT AND CLAP FOR BORIS!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lol that is a fair point imo

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
why on earth are they blaming the red wall mps specifically

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

gonadic io posted:

they’re northern

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
has he got covid again lol

https://twitter.com/BareLeft/status/1483526881815187469?s=20

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

He's chasing Bolsonaro's record

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

projecthalaxy posted:

He's chasing Bolsonaro's record

if you come at the king, youd best not poo poo

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/Psythor/status/1483552032443224064

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

in liz wet rust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

gonadic io posted:

Because "they only got elected off the back of Boris". A lot of the "Red Wall" Tories are not diehard Tories, like, they are recent members & didn't grow up in the SPAD/think tank/university Tory society nest because they never really expected to beat Dennis Skinner (& seriously, Bolsover voting Tory is still far & away the biggest shock in British politics in my life, nevermind Michael Portillo or the Tories losing all their Scottish MPs in 1997) so they aren't all necessarily complete zombies who just do what they are told, like good backbenchers should.

Obviously they are still loving scummy cunts but there's a mite of individual thought at least.

Southpaugh posted:

boris isn't going anywhere you idiots

I don't know, they seem fairly confident that Boris has lost the support of at least 54 of his MPs, & if there's a leadership challenge that he doesn't win with a solid majority he'll find that a lot of the people in his cabinet will be desperate to re-enact Caesar's last moments in the Senate.

forkboy84 has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Jan 19, 2022