Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It's new mattress time in the Shark household.

We've got a positively ancient (circa 2006?) Tempurpedic that is starting to show its age. I'm pretty sure it was the middle-of-the-line model, but the tag is long unreadable. I'm fine with it, but the wife has back pain after a few nights on it. IIRC, it didn't have any "cooling" layers. Currently our primary mattress, on an adjustable solid foundation.
We've got a Tempur Contour Supreme that my mom bought as a showroom demo for $1200, and hated immediately. It's 4 years old, and we both hate it. We sink in super deep and can't move. It's not firm at all (which is surprising, given it's supposed to be the most firm Tempur). It feels like it has 6" of Tempur material... This is currently our guest mattress, in a murphy bed.
We're moving the adjustable foundation to the nursery, where my wife is sleeping about half the night now. We've got another solid platform foundation for our master bedroom.

Everything is queen. New bed is a queen as well.

Stats:
Me: 6'2", 235#, side sleeper. Runs hot.
Wife: 5'9", 165#, back sleeper. Runs cold.

Any thoughts? We could spend pretty much whatever, under like $5k. We both liked the Tempurpedic when we got it, but we'd like something a little less squishy than the Tempur material, and certainly less entrapping than the Contour Supreme. Because we have different body weights and sleep positions, it'll have to be a balanced mattress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Should I be taking the mattress of the box spring to try to wear it? I'm thinking about sleeping on the mattress just on the ground for a few night to see if the box spring may be the issue. I wish there was a way to check the wear of the mattress or box spring like checking the wear of your tires with a penny.

Look for dips/sags. Flip the box over and see if there is a crack in the frame on the bottom. If the box is completely level and solid, it isn't the problem.

Mattress is much, much harder to try to check though. I got nothing for you there, buddy, sorry.

sharkytm posted:

It's new mattress time in the Shark household.

We've got a positively ancient (circa 2006?) Tempurpedic that is starting to show its age. I'm pretty sure it was the middle-of-the-line model, but the tag is long unreadable. I'm fine with it, but the wife has back pain after a few nights on it. IIRC, it didn't have any "cooling" layers. Currently our primary mattress, on an adjustable solid foundation.
We've got a Tempur Contour Supreme that my mom bought as a showroom demo for $1200, and hated immediately. It's 4 years old, and we both hate it. We sink in super deep and can't move. It's not firm at all (which is surprising, given it's supposed to be the most firm Tempur). It feels like it has 6" of Tempur material... This is currently our guest mattress, in a murphy bed.
We're moving the adjustable foundation to the nursery, where my wife is sleeping about half the night now. We've got another solid platform foundation for our master bedroom.

Everything is queen. New bed is a queen as well.

Stats:
Me: 6'2", 235#, side sleeper. Runs hot.
Wife: 5'9", 165#, back sleeper. Runs cold.

Any thoughts? We could spend pretty much whatever, under like $5k. We both liked the Tempurpedic when we got it, but we'd like something a little less squishy than the Tempur material, and certainly less entrapping than the Contour Supreme. Because we have different body weights and sleep positions, it'll have to be a balanced mattress.

The Contour Supreme is ca. 2014ish, but had most of the same stuff as your OG Tempur did.

Your problem with Tempur isn't that it isn't firm, it's that I don't think you like Tempur material. There was maybe 3 inches of Tempur material in the Contour Supreme, and that motherfucker is the firmest thing I've ever laid on. Tempur material, though, always has some sink to it, because it is necessary to conform to the occupants--regardless of firmness. Because the material is so goddamn dense and slow to react, it feels like quicksand that sucks you in and holds you. A ProAdapt Firm is the closest current comparison, so if you go try one it'll show what I mean more clearly than an older model like that.

Check out some hybrid models. Depending on what you're feeling the most, a Silver Chill Firm, Tempur Probreeze hybrid, or an iSeries 2000 Firm would be good--all of which are tryable at a Mattress Firm. Alternatively, Serta has a firm Arctic hybrid, and there are some good S&F firm hybrids. And BeautyRest Black is always a solid choice. All of these run about medium-firm, but none of them will trap you like a full-foam Tempur.

Try some stuff, let me know what you liked and/or didn't like, and I'll see if I can generate some further recommendations!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I think there were a couple queries previously around Saatva, but has anybody tried their all-latex mattress?

https://www.saatva.com/mattresses/zenhaven

I tried the Purple mattresses earlier and they felt too... bouncy? for me; I think I would like something a little bit more firm.

Trying also to think if it's worth getting an adjustable base since sometimes I work in bed.

Generally I'm a back sleeper around 170 or so lbs.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Awful App ate my draft boo

Looking to replace my mattress because it’s dogshit, I had a corporate discount for Hilton bed products at cost via my employer for a long time. First purchase was amazing, great bed, lasted drat near ten years. second one in late 2019 is crap for whatever reason. It’s an internal spring double sided Serta "Sweet Sleeper PS II". I’ve checked the box springs and they’re fine.

I’m a side slash stomach sleeper, very light so I end up tossing and turning a lot. 5’10” 160. I can’t tell if it’s the lack of firmness, my posture, or the pandemic … 5 pounds that is fuckin me up but lately I wake up with pain in my upper back like between my shoulder blades. It’s starting to work through to other muscle aches like in my shoulders too which sucks. Can’t get a good nights sleep.

We’ve had good Casper and purple experiences, so I’m curious about what mattress in a bag I should try. my wife doesn’t really care because, and I quote, "I’m medicated, my sleep is great". Trying to keep it below $2k for a king.

Anyone with thoughts or experiences?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

re side sleeper pillow discussion, I've had very good results for years with a two pillow combination of shredded foam as a base and extra firm actual down as the face layer. Even when travelling and on unfamiliar mattresses that combination can be molded into a perfectly comfortable shape and then, most importantly, stays there.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Synastren posted:

The Contour Supreme is ca. 2014ish, but had most of the same stuff as your OG Tempur did.

Your problem with Tempur isn't that it isn't firm, it's that I don't think you like Tempur material. There was maybe 3 inches of Tempur material in the Contour Supreme, and that motherfucker is the firmest thing I've ever laid on. Tempur material, though, always has some sink to it, because it is necessary to conform to the occupants--regardless of firmness. Because the material is so goddamn dense and slow to react, it feels like quicksand that sucks you in and holds you. A ProAdapt Firm is the closest current comparison, so if you go try one it'll show what I mean more clearly than an older model like that.

Check out some hybrid models. Depending on what you're feeling the most, a Silver Chill Firm, Tempur Probreeze hybrid, or an iSeries 2000 Firm would be good--all of which are tryable at a Mattress Firm. Alternatively, Serta has a firm Arctic hybrid, and there are some good S&F firm hybrids. And BeautyRest Black is always a solid choice. All of these run about medium-firm, but none of them will trap you like a full-foam Tempur.

Try some stuff, let me know what you liked and/or didn't like, and I'll see if I can generate some further recommendations!

We're going to MF tomorrow. I'll report back.

The Contour Supreme... I don't know how to describe it. If you sit on the edge or in the middle, you'll sink in like 8". That is what I'd call "Not Firm". There's plenty of support when I'm lying on my side, but I'm stuck at what feels like about 5-6" deep.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are Purple mattresses still held in high regard?

Is there a huge difference between the normal Purple $1200 Queen and the Hybrid Purple $2100 Queen model or whatever?

I could spend the extra $900 if necessary but I’m not sure it’s a huge difference.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 29, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

Is there a huge difference between the normal Purple $1200 Queen and the Hybrid Purple $2100 Queen model or whatever?

I could spend the extra $900 if necessary but I’m not sure it’s a huge difference.

If you live near a Gardner White furniture, you can go try them out. That's what I did. I picked the Hybrid 3 because that's the one I liked the best.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Live reporting from Mattress Firm.

Serta i2000: too firm for me
Purple 2: way to little padding
Purple 3: enough padding, but the bounce is weird
Purple 4: too deep

Pro-adapt firm: way firmer than our contour supreme, but get stuck. I think we've moved away from TempurPedic

Beautyrest beyond medium: wife loves it, and I actually like it

Kingsdown Malbec plush: we both like it, but it's warm for me

S&F Rockwell plush: wife loves it, I'm ok with it

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

RoyalScion posted:

I think there were a couple queries previously around Saatva, but has anybody tried their all-latex mattress?

https://www.saatva.com/mattresses/zenhaven

I tried the Purple mattresses earlier and they felt too... bouncy? for me; I think I would like something a little bit more firm.

Trying also to think if it's worth getting an adjustable base since sometimes I work in bed.

Generally I'm a back sleeper around 170 or so lbs.

Adjustable bases are great for sleeping. Better if you're doing other things in bed. Keep in mind if you're sitting in your mattress for an extended period of time regularly, you will likely disproportionately wear where your butt goes (more weight, smaller area, etc.). You should likely full-on lounge if you're going to work from bed with a base, instead of just sitting as if you were against the headboard.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Awful App ate my draft boo

Looking to replace my mattress because it’s dogshit, I had a corporate discount for Hilton bed products at cost via my employer for a long time. First purchase was amazing, great bed, lasted drat near ten years. second one in late 2019 is crap for whatever reason. It’s an internal spring double sided Serta "Sweet Sleeper PS II". I’ve checked the box springs and they’re fine.

I’m a side slash stomach sleeper, very light so I end up tossing and turning a lot. 5’10” 160. I can’t tell if it’s the lack of firmness, my posture, or the pandemic … 5 pounds that is fuckin me up but lately I wake up with pain in my upper back like between my shoulder blades. It’s starting to work through to other muscle aches like in my shoulders too which sucks. Can’t get a good nights sleep.

We’ve had good Casper and purple experiences, so I’m curious about what mattress in a bag I should try. my wife doesn’t really care because, and I quote, "I’m medicated, my sleep is great". Trying to keep it below $2k for a king.

Anyone with thoughts or experiences?

I don't like Casper as a company. Purple is hella unique, and is the most distinctive, thought Tuft & Needle kinda walk an in-between line between Purple and more memory-foam-feeling beds in a box (e.g., Nectar). It's hard to make generic recommendations, but see what local stores may have for you to try in that category. I'd recommend looking at firm pillowtops, or firm-ish hybrids, if you like good hotel beds, in addition to beds in a box.

RCarr posted:

There is a massive difference between the original Purple and the hybrid 2. Simply put, the hybrid models have coil based support, where the original Purple is foam under the smart grid. The hybrids are much bouncier, and I would argue that the hybrid is firmer than the original. Purple is branching out to lots of different furniture and mattress stores, so you can likely find somewhere near you to try them!

The smartgrid is the exact same between the two. The difference is the support. The hybrid premier models (3, 4) have thicker grid layers!

sharkytm posted:

Live reporting from Mattress Firm.

Serta i2000: too firm for me
Purple 2: way to little padding
Purple 3: enough padding, but the bounce is weird
Purple 4: too deep

Pro-adapt firm: way firmer than our contour supreme, but get stuck. I think we've moved away from TempurPedic

Beautyrest beyond medium: wife loves it, and I actually like it

Kingsdown Malbec plush: we both like it, but it's warm for me

S&F Rockwell plush: wife loves it, I'm ok with it

Based on your feedback:
The only Tempur you would like is the ProBreeze medium hybrid. If you get super hot, investigate. If not, you're doing fine with anything else.

I have a high opinion of BeautyRest in general, and the Beyonds are pretty good. Keep in mind it will take a long time for those beds to break in on account of the huge amount of high density memory foam.
Try the Sealy Silver Chill models. You'll probably like the Plush more than the Firm, but I don't know for sure.

I would posit that the reason you like the Beyond and Rockwell is because they both have a fairly hefty amount of memory foam that is also high density. The Malbec has no memory foam, nor do the Purple models. And the non-Tempur beds are generally fairly buoyant. Sounds like the sleep expert you got showed an appropriate selection for what you are looking for, so that's good!

To quickly sum up, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the following (in what I think is most to least expensive):
ProBreeze Medium Hybrid
Beyond Medium
Silver Chill Plush/Firm
Rockwell

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Definitely try a Purple before buying one. I understand that some people like them but I bought one off Amazon 'cause I bought into the hype and the reviews, and it veeeeery much wasn't for me. Just felt weird and hurt my back. Also when you look at them the "smart grid" seems to often be hosed up - it's supposed to be this perfect grid but in reality it's like somebody blobbed a load of extra silicone in there so there are weird streaks and blobs and bumps that make it uneven. Ended up returning it, which was easy because they have a good return policy (even when bought through Amazon Canada) but actually physically repackaging it and lugging it to a post office was a huge pain in the rear end.

Ultimately got one of the mattresses on the firmer end of the Tempur range - bought a show model and got a super cheap deal on it. I absolutely love it. Doesn't matter that other people have laid on it and stuff because I put a hardcore anti-allergy cover on it anyway.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Thank you so much!!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any mattresses that are known to be better for lower back pain and/or sciatica?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

RCarr posted:

Is there any mattresses that are known to be better for lower back pain and/or sciatica?

I am not a Mattress Expert, but I do have two decades of experience with ruptured discs & sciatica. I personally find that a firmer mattress helps to improve/relieve my sciatica where a softer mattress has not.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I got a 20% off coupon emailed to me from MattressFirm but the fine print says:

“**Limit one coupon per customer. Cannot be used in combination with any other coupon offer. Not valid on previous purchases, floor models, clearance items, final markdown, Purple, tulo, iComfort, Tempur‑Pedic, Stearns & Foster, Sealy Hybrid, Nectar, DreamCloud, Tuft & Needle, Lull, Bedgear, BlanQuil, Pet Fusion, select Sheex products, Inner Balance Wellness, Healthy Sleep, Synca, Wellness, Infinity; other exclusions may apply. See store for complete details.”

Sooooo, it basically excludes everything? What mattress can this even be used for?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

RCarr posted:

I got a 20% off coupon emailed to me from MattressFirm but the fine print says:

“**Limit one coupon per customer. Cannot be used in combination with any other coupon offer. Not valid on previous purchases, floor models, clearance items, final markdown, Purple, tulo, iComfort, Tempur‑Pedic, Stearns & Foster, Sealy Hybrid, Nectar, DreamCloud, Tuft & Needle, Lull, Bedgear, BlanQuil, Pet Fusion, select Sheex products, Inner Balance Wellness, Healthy Sleep, Synca, Wellness, Infinity; other exclusions may apply. See store for complete details.”

Sooooo, it basically excludes everything? What mattress can this even be used for?

Sealy innersprings, Serta, Simmons (Beautyrest), Sleepys, Kingsdown, Intellibed, Nature's Rest all qualify. The brands mentioned are generally either 1) on deep promotions, or; 2) are nationally priced product, and are not subject to sales outside of vendor promotions. Shocking that Beautyrest Black isn't included in the disclaimer.

Purple, DreamCloud, T&N, Nectar, Lull, and Bedgear are also retailers in their own rights. Tempur/Sealy/Stearns is the same company and that is generally all nationally priced product. iComfort is the national line of foam/hybrids for Serta and have always been nationally priced. tulo is basically the cheapest thing MF sells. I haven't heard of half of those brands though, honestly.

I dunno, probably 2/3rds of what is sold in-store qualifies, as does more than half of what is on the website.

RCarr posted:

I'd probably suggest a hybrid, but beyond that it depends on what triggers your flareups. Each person is different, and I can try to give some more specific advise, but there isn't a one-size solution as far as I know.

Cubish
Mar 12, 2006

close enough

Synastren posted:

I dunno, probably 2/3rds of what is sold in-store qualifies, as does more than half of what is on the website.

I've been in mattress sales for about six years now. Not sure how much I should disclose or what's allowed to be said in that regard but there you go. Everything you said is right on the money. The coupon essentially applies to anything that's non-nationally (and thus contractually) priced. At Mattress Firm, your coupon should be good on practically anything Beautyrest and Serta Perfect Sleepers and Serta iSeries Hybrids, and if your region has them, the Kingsdown brands as well. Which is surprising because those are also typically deep discounted.

I'm a huge nerd on the whole sleep science as well, so if y'all don't mind my input, I can also offer advice/direction.

Edit:

Synastren posted:

I've now sold mattresses for more than 5 years with Mattress Firm and have been very good at it. I hate sales, and basically just educate folks, because I was a grad student in my previous career path.

Hello fellow Mattress Firm person! I never thought I'd come across someone on the internet that also does this. Because, y'know, mattresses.

I've also found that educating is the absolute best way to help people make their decisions, and reading back a few pages just to get the feel of this thread, you know your stuff!

You've all been in great hands!

Cubish fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 7, 2022

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Putting off buying a new mattress until covid cools down and going into a store for an extended amount of time makes sense.

In the meantime, I’m thinking of blind buying a topper that will make our very firm innerspring mattress more comfortable to me, a mostly side sleeper. Any topper recs? Was thinking of a 3” latex topper (Turmerry) based on 5 minutes of research but thought I’d ask here before I go down the rabbit hole.

Cubish
Mar 12, 2006

close enough

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Putting off buying a new mattress until covid cools down and going into a store for an extended amount of time makes sense.

In the meantime, I’m thinking of blind buying a topper that will make our very firm innerspring mattress more comfortable to me, a mostly side sleeper. Any topper recs? Was thinking of a 3” latex topper (Turmerry) based on 5 minutes of research but thought I’d ask here before I go down the rabbit hole.

Honestly, mattress shopping is typically a very chill experience. A good percentage of the time, it's you and the sales person, and an empty store. Masked up and distanced, it's more than likely your safest shopping experience. I can't speak for major metropolitan areas, but a large majority of mattress stores are pretty empty. Especially this time of year if you live anywhere where the temps are currently knocking at single digits.

That said, totally understand if it still keeps you away. When you're ready, swing on by.

As for your topper, side sleeping on a very firm mattress would probably require more than three inches. It's totally dependent on your weight and how firm the mattress is. As has been stated here before, your topper is going to be more of a temporary fix, so keep that in mind.

I'm not very well versed in toppers, but as I said, more thickness to it will allow more for you shoulders and hips to roll downward some before it hits the stopping point of the mattress, and the remaining foam should fill into your core. Keep that in mind as you make your selection, and then read specifications on what you're leaning towards.

Latex foams will typically breathe better for you, but depending on the mix can be very ... buoyant? I've never been a fan of a straight latex foam feel, personally. Blind buying these things are frustrating, as some of these can start at the high $100s or low $200s and climb. If you're going to buy, try to buy from somewhere that allows any sort of return or exchange. Many don't.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

When I was looking, I saw a lot of people were DIYing their own mattresses using layers from latexmattressfactory.com which afaik is the same company as sleepEZ. This would let you opt for talalay latex rather than dunlop should you want to, as it it's supposedly better for softer layers though it comes at a significant price premium.

I ended up getting one from sleeponlatex, but from what I understand, their 'medium' is on the firmer side, so it may not be what you're looking for, though they do appear to offer a 'soft' topper. I ended up with the 'medium' mattress from them and have been happy enough with it other than it not having much to grab onto. I'm not primarily a side sleeper though.

If you regularly share your bed, latex does not isolate motion as well as memory foam, though it may not be any worse that what you have now. Also it's quite heavy, but it's probably not that bad a 3"

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 8, 2022

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

gwrtheyrn posted:

When I was looking, I saw a lot of people were DIYing their own mattresses using layers from latexmattressfactory.com which afaik is the same company as sleepEZ. This would let you opt for talalay latex rather than dunlop should you want to, as it it's supposedly better for softer layers though it comes at a significant price premium.

I ended up getting one from sleeponlatex, but from what I understand, their 'medium' is on the firmer side, so it may not be what you're looking for, though they do appear to offer a 'soft' topper. I ended up with the 'medium' mattress from them and have been happy enough with it other than it not having much to grab onto. I'm not primarily a side sleeper though.

If you regularly share your bed, latex does not isolate motion as well as memory foam, though it may not be any worse that what you have now. Also it's quite heavy, but it's probably not that bad a 3"

The difference between dulop and talalay latex comes down to how they are produced. Talalay latex is vacuum sealed in its mold before it is baked, resulting in a uniform structure that is often lighter and softer than dunlop. Dunlop latex tends to be firmer, and can have a firmer base than top if it is in a thick enough layer.

Latex is bouncier than any other kind of foam material, due to the fact that it is quite literally rubber. Petroleum based foams tend to absorb kinetic energy, with memory foam being more extreme than traditional foam. Latex also tends to conform less than memory foam, resulting in the firmer feel.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I ended up getting the Purple Hybrid Premiere 3.

It is amazing.

I’ve had back pain every night for 15+ years and it is instantly gone with this mattress. It’s honestly life changing.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

It is amazing.

I’ve had back pain every night for 15+ years and it is instantly gone with this mattress. It’s honestly life changing.

I ordered this and the delivery company likes to play the "Say you're not home tot he dispatch rather thana ctually delivering it game." My new delivery date is this Tuesday.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I ordered this and the delivery company likes to play the "Say you're not home tot he dispatch rather thana ctually delivering it game." My new delivery date is this Tuesday.

I got mine through Mattress Firm and they were pretty good about the whole delivery.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

I got mine through Mattress Firm and they were pretty good about the whole delivery.

I'm kinda cheesed that the last place I ordered by mattress from went out of business and their stores were all bought out by mattress firm. I knowit's illogical, but my old mattress is less than 3 years old and I got pretty screwed by it, so I just ordered it directly from purple (after trying it out at gardner white). I believe this was a mistake, now.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'm kinda cheesed that the last place I ordered by mattress from went out of business and their stores were all bought out by mattress firm. I knowit's illogical, but my old mattress is less than 3 years old and I got pretty screwed by it, so I just ordered it directly from purple (after trying it out at gardner white). I believe this was a mistake, now.

I would assume you went to Sleep Train before? As far as I know, Sleepy's didn't exactly inspire loyalty, but Sleep Train sure as hell did.

Unless you bought your mattress from a manufacturer/retailer, the manufacturer will still hold their warranty, so you've got that to fall back on, too!

Oh, and I rudely forgot. I'm happy to show you my credentials sometime Cubish. Since you don't have PMs, you can email this username at gmail and I'll respond with some intra company details, if you are curious.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RCarr posted:

It is amazing.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

what's yalls body type / sleep preference if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking at this exact one because I'm having back pain for the first time in my life as I mentioned upthread a ways.

I'm a dude, 5'10" 160 lazy-skinny former soccer player so a huge amount of my weight is from my rear end and down, and I tend to flop around between stomach/back/side.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Ended up getting a Tempurpedic 3" foam topper, and also a Coop adjustable foam pillow. Have slept on the topper for a few nights now and it's good enough as a temporary stopgap until we get ourselves into an actual store to test out some real mattresses. The pillow is great after a couple nights' sleep, enough support for me to side sleep comfortably for most of the night and enough give that when I roll onto my back it's fine too.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what's yalls body type / sleep preference if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking at this exact one because I'm having back pain for the first time in my life as I mentioned upthread a ways.

I'm a dude, 5'10" 160 lazy-skinny former soccer player so a huge amount of my weight is from my rear end and down, and I tend to flop around between stomach/back/side.

I’m 5’10” 185. I’ve always tossed and turned, but prefer to sleep on my back if I’m comfortable. Im certainly tossing and turning a lot less after getting this bad boy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We visited a Mattress Firm today and decided we liked the Stearns and Foster Rockwell best. I've been looking up reviews to see how people like them, and I'm seeing comments that the Costco Lakeridge is essentially the same mattress but cheaper -- is that true? The Rockwell is $2400 while the Lakeridge is like $1100. I also saw people saying they negotiated the price down at MF -- is that possible?

I would love to save $1000.

E: nvm. was told by MF salesman that they wouldn't lower the price on this one. The Lakeridge also only comes in medium, but we needed firm.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 24, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This is somewhat adjacent to the actual thread topic, but close enough that I figure it might be worth a try. A while back I upgraded my old lovely bed from university time to an actually decent one that I'm quite happy with, but now I'm noticing that the bedding/bed linen I'm using on it is still of the old "whatever looked alright at IKEA" make. So now I'm looking to get something nicer there to match, but I've got exactly no idea where to start. What do the various materials mean, does threadcount actually matter, are there particular brands to look out for, that sort of thing. In general I'd be willing to spend a bit more for quality, but this certainly seems like an area where you can waste ludicrous amounts of money on fancy-sounding nonsense that makes no practical difference.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm finally getting around to replace my 15 year old bed. After trying out a lot of beds and reading this thread, I went with a Purple 4. I'll post a review when I get it and put some nights on it.

This thread is a secret treasure of SA. Navigating mattress sales is a nightmare and hearing some first-hand accounts from folks along with expert advice from Synastren and co has been so nice.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah I might as well mention I splashed on a purple hybrid premier 3 and will also post reviews and thoughts as I go through my trial.

Thanks for all the thoughts and feedback from folk in this thread.

Perestroika posted:

What do the various materials mean, does threadcount actually matter, are there particular brands to look out for, that sort of thing. In general I'd be willing to spend a bit more for quality, but this certainly seems like an area where you can waste ludicrous amounts of money on fancy-sounding nonsense that makes no practical difference.

I coulda sworn there was a sheets and bedding stuff thread in ask/tell at one point but I can’t find it.

Very quick from my experience of buying sheets: for cotton sheets the big differentiator thing is sateen (smooth and dense) vs percale (crisp and light). I switch to percale for the summer and have sateen for the winter.

Imo you hit diminishing returns above 300 thread count, certainly above 500. For a long time the go to bang for buck sateen sheets were from JC Penney lol.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We visited a Mattress Firm today and decided we liked the Stearns and Foster Rockwell best. I've been looking up reviews to see how people like them, and I'm seeing comments that the Costco Lakeridge is essentially the same mattress but cheaper -- is that true? The Rockwell is $2400 while the Lakeridge is like $1100. I also saw people saying they negotiated the price down at MF -- is that possible?

I would love to save $1000.

E: nvm. was told by MF salesman that they wouldn't lower the price on this one. The Lakeridge also only comes in medium, but we needed firm.

I know absolutely nothing about the Lakeridge, and I didn't even know that S&F was doing retailer exclusive models. It is possible it's a limited run product that they will not replenish, as well. A lot of their mattresses sold at low prices (e.g., Tempurpedic) are previous generations of product that aren't actively sold anymore. I'll ask my TSI rep about this one tomorrow and try to give a bit of info here.

In general, Stearns & Foster products are nationally priced, and TSI will pull product out of a retailer if they are caught violating the pricing policy. It wouldn't happen if Joe Blow at a store discounts product below policy once, but that person may very well find themselves on the end of a serious disciplinary action--maybe even termination, depending. And this is assuming that the salesperson has the ability to discount product anyway!

If folks were successful in negotiating price down at any store, and it is brand new product, those employees could be in serious trouble if it gets discovered by either their boss or Tempur-Sealy. Product that is not factory-sealed and brand new can definitely be sold at a discount. TSI owned outlet stores frequently sell all S&F Estate mattresses at ~1050, but those are either comfort returns or factory mistakes.

Perestroika posted:

This is somewhat adjacent to the actual thread topic, but close enough that I figure it might be worth a try. A while back I upgraded my old lovely bed from university time to an actually decent one that I'm quite happy with, but now I'm noticing that the bedding/bed linen I'm using on it is still of the old "whatever looked alright at IKEA" make. So now I'm looking to get something nicer there to match, but I've got exactly no idea where to start. What do the various materials mean, does threadcount actually matter, are there particular brands to look out for, that sort of thing. In general I'd be willing to spend a bit more for quality, but this certainly seems like an area where you can waste ludicrous amounts of money on fancy-sounding nonsense that makes no practical difference.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Oh yeah I might as well mention I splashed on a purple hybrid premier 3 and will also post reviews and thoughts as I go through my trial.

I coulda sworn there was a sheets and bedding stuff thread in ask/tell at one point but I can’t find it.

Very quick from my experience of buying sheets: for cotton sheets the big differentiator thing is sateen (smooth and dense) vs percale (crisp and light). I switch to percale for the summer and have sateen for the winter.

Imo you hit diminishing returns above 300 thread count, certainly above 500. For a long time the go to bang for buck sateen sheets were from JC Penney lol.

I'm not as knowledgeable about linens, but I know more than the average bear, I guess. There are three big categories to think of, in no particular order: 1) material, 2) thread count, 3) finish.

Sheets can be made from a bevy of materials, from relatively natural (e.g., cotton, wool, silk), to processed (e.g., rayon, tencel), to completely artificial (e.g., microfiber). The more processed, generally the softer it can be, but you may pay for softness with heat retention. And there is a huge variation even within a given material: consider jersey knit cotton vs. Egyptian cotton.

Thread count is generally minor, and not indicative of quality, though intuition (and marketing!) implies otherwise. If you get hot, stay under about 600. Otherwise, follow your heart, imo.

Finish is what I know least about, but now we're talking about things like sateen, percale, and flannel. It can affect the feel as well as its heat retaining qualities.

I like sheets from DreamFit, PureCare, & Purple. Sheex are OK, and Malouf seems fine. There are plenty of quality sheet manufacturers out there, though, and I'm far from a specialist.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm finally getting around to replace my 15 year old bed. After trying out a lot of beds and reading this thread, I went with a Purple 4. I'll post a review when I get it and put some nights on it.

This thread is a secret treasure of SA. Navigating mattress sales is a nightmare and hearing some first-hand accounts from folks along with expert advice from Synastren and co has been so nice.

From OrangeFluffySheep's excellent Final Fantasy Tactics LP

:unsmith:

I pop by to offer thoughts and suggestions despite the fact that I spend entirely too many waking hours talking, thinking about, and selling beds, specifically because I know that there is a lot of absolute poo poo information floating around out there, and I'm glad that folks find this helpful!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Another note is that sateen sheets are often extremely wrinkle resistant, while percale sheets will always be wrinkled after the first time you wash them unless you iron them. If you don't care about the looks, it doesn't really matter, but if you don't like the look of having wrinkled sheets, maybe don't get percale sheets. Sateen also tend to be warmer due to the weave pattern.

As far as materials, I'd avoid anything labeled 'egyptian cotton' unless you know exactly what you're getting because the term is about as regulated as 'wagyu beef' in the US. Supima should be more regulated long-staple cotton because it's a trade association with a trademark.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Synastren posted:

I know absolutely nothing about the Lakeridge, and I didn't even know that S&F was doing retailer exclusive models. It is possible it's a limited run product that they will not replenish, as well. A lot of their mattresses sold at low prices (e.g., Tempurpedic) are previous generations of product that aren't actively sold anymore. I'll ask my TSI rep about this one tomorrow and try to give a bit of info here.

In general, Stearns & Foster products are nationally priced, and TSI will pull product out of a retailer if they are caught violating the pricing policy. It wouldn't happen if Joe Blow at a store discounts product below policy once, but that person may very well find themselves on the end of a serious disciplinary action--maybe even termination, depending. And this is assuming that the salesperson has the ability to discount product anyway!

If folks were successful in negotiating price down at any store, and it is brand new product, those employees could be in serious trouble if it gets discovered by either their boss or Tempur-Sealy. Product that is not factory-sealed and brand new can definitely be sold at a discount. TSI owned outlet stores frequently sell all S&F Estate mattresses at ~1050, but those are either comfort returns or factory mistakes.

Thanks for sharing some insight. Our MF salesman hadn't heard of the Costco mattress either. He looked it up and claimed it was a lower quality product, but I don't know if I believe that. He said essentially the same thing about pricing -- that S&F mattress prices are set by the company and that salespeople don't have the freedom to negotiate prices on them. Ultimately we went with the MF version because Costco's version was only medium firmness, and saving money wouldn't be worth it for an uncomfortable mattress. I hate negotiating with salespeople because it makes me feel greedy, but we did work out a better deal than the initial offer (not by lowering the price of the mattress though).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I just got my mattress today!

I'm 6' 225. Back sleeper. I never had back pain until last year. I thought I pulled something until I slept on an air mattress and had about 80% less pain than sleeping in my normal bed.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Mattress just showed up, mercifully in company of my brother in law to help me lift it cuz holy poo poo. I could maybe squat this but anything else just lol

The vacuum packing is intense. Laying on it now, seems very bouncy but firm at the same time

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I just got my mattress today!

I'm 6' 225. Back sleeper. I never had back pain until last year. I thought I pulled something until I slept on an air mattress and had about 80% less pain than sleeping in my normal bed.

Thanks! Yeah I've never had pain until mmmm maybe six months ago and was trying every other possible variable before I committed to the new mattress

We'll see what happens. The cats love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gunshow Poophole posted:

My experience with the Purple 3 is that you really do want stretchy sheets on it. Mine came with a free set of their sheets and the difference between their sheets and my old cotton percale sheets was night and day. The percale sheets didn't really stretch, so I got a sort of drumhead effect where the tight fitting percale sheet didn't have enough give in it to let me sink into the mattress, and sinking into the grid layer is the entire point of the mattress. It was much more comfortable with their sheets, or stretchy jersey ones.