Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Godzilla07 posted:

Everything I've heard about the ID4 is that it's a massive pile of poo poo, in addition to being a dodgy long-term ownership proposition given that it's a first-generation Volkswagen EV

What have you heard exactly? As I understand it, it's a bit boring and journos don't like the steering wheel buttons. But that's not exactly a massive pile of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

eh on the other hand who do you think is really making a guaranteed reliable EV right now? you couldn't make me touch first year Ford product with your dick. You could argue GM or the Koreans have experience, but they have had pretty serious recalls... or maybe the Leaf, the OG? but that's kind of poo poo, and Tesla is what it is.

The main complaints about the ID.4 are infotainment, touch-capacitive buttons, no frunk, shorter range than some competitors, and it feels like a normal CUV. hardly damning.

knox_harrington posted:

What have you heard exactly? As I understand it, it's a bit boring and journos don't like the steering wheel buttons. But that's not exactly a massive pile of poo poo.

The savagegeese boys decided to kill their ID.4 video so as to not jeopardize their relationship with VW.

Jason Cammisa, noted Volkswagen apologist, had this to say about the ID4:

quote:

Verdict VW id4: Ferdinand Piëch is spinning in his grave.

This shitheap is what happens when the timecard-punching imbeciles are given the keys to the car-company castle. Had Piëch lived to see this, the homicide rate in Wolfsburg would have had a dramatic spike when the id4 launched.

Am I being harsh? Yes, but remember the BMW E65 7-series (catastrophe); the W220 S-Class (Dodge Neon-quality POS) or the ’08 WRX (an insult to its own brand.)

This is one of those moments.

Does the thing drive ok? Sure: VW has built hundreds of millions of cars. Surely they’ve learned a thing or two. It’s fine.

But from the cartoon styling to the disasterous UX, its gimmick-to-function factor is the inverse of what VW has been since its genesis.

The well-documented lack of rear window controls and non-illuminated controls are just the beginning.

The gauges and shifter are a craptastic version of the BMW i3's, which were laughable a decade ago. See slide 10 for the full range of display customization 🤦‍♂️

You can’t adjust the driver aids while moving.

I almost threw a brick through the loving window when it wouldn’t open its door on a hill unless I pushed *as* it was unlatching.

The rat’s nest under the hood tells us everything we need to know.

An all-new, from-the-ground-up platform should not need visible reinforcements. This scares me — where else did VW skimp?

Add up the negative space up front, it’d make a big frunk. There isn’t one tells us that the teams at VW worked against each other, not for the good of the whole.

Disclosure: I own an e-Golf. It’s everything a VW should be (with exception of range.) Quick, well-crafted, gimmick-free, efficient, handles well, easy to use, and packed full of features that make daily life easier.

No gimmicks, unlike this. VWs should earn you respect from grownups; not be rolling cartoons of poor design.

This thing is a comicbook joke. I’d only recommend buying one is because IONIQ 5 isn’t available yet and you need something to ram into a tree for fun. Given the visible reinforcements up front, I’m not sure I’d recommend actually being in the id4 for the impact.

Man, does it miss the mark.

This video is timestamped to where Matt Farah and Cammisa discuss Cammisa's ID4 review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fneTybECLP4

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Can they use vws electrify america charging network yet or is Ford still the only mfgr that makes cars for it lmao

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yes, my hot take is why? everything else at that price point is more compelling unless you most have a toyota

My only thought is that it's normal compact crossover SUV but electric but this is a good point... And the more reading I do more hesitant I am now buying an EV vehicle but I can't justify spending $45k+ on a Model 3.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's incredible to me that all the EVs under like 70k still kinda suck. The Tesla and Polestar seem to be the only decent ones and both options have major problems. It looks like I'll be holding on to my 328 for as long as possible.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Godzilla07 posted:

Jason Cammisa, noted Volkswagen apologist, had this to say about the ID4:
What's so bad about the shifter? I thought it was great in the i3. Much prefer that to a dial or button combo.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's incredible to me that all the EVs under like 70k still kinda suck.
People think "ooh, EV, it's cutting edge" but they want the car at a Chevy Malibu price and no one's gonna eat a few thousand bucks to give ya power seats.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 15, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's incredible to me that all the EVs under like 70k still kinda suck. The Tesla and Polestar seem to be the only decent ones and both options have major problems. It looks like I'll be holding on to my 328 for as long as possible.

What? The Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia EV6, and Ford Mustang Mach-E are all getting really good reviews. More than half of the top 10 cars ArsTechnica reviewed this year were electric.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/12/ars-technicas-top-10-cars-trucks-and-suvs-of-2021/

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Buy one last cool ICE DD and get a e-bike for short trips to reduce wear and tear on your car, and minimize your carbon footprint until EVs become more mature products

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm seriously liking the Kia EV6 but availability is an issue...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'm seriously liking the Kia EV6 but availability is an issue...

It hasn’t even fully launched yet so uhh yeah availability would be a problem

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Hi, would appreciate advice thanks in advance.
Proposed Budget: Ideally less than $30000
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4-door, don't care too much about body style beyond that it's appropriate for intended use
How will you be using the car?: Driving 4 person family around with some reasonable amount of carrying space. This is in the northeast so snow in winter is a factor but it's not excessive. Something that could be used to drive between NYC and Buffalo occasionally without difficulty
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and low maintenance are most important by far. Need something that will just work and be straightforward to get maintained or repaired when required.

Had a nice used Honda Fit in the past but that's probably too small for 4 people plus some luggage when necessary. Found the Honda reliable but wondering if they're still living up to their reputation for dependability or if there's a better option these days. The Honda Civic looks fine but is there any major advantage to the CR-V (or equivalents from other manufacturers)?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Crossover segment gets you a hatchback with higher sitting for ease of entry, loading, and vague and minor visibility benefits. Its a tall compact.

CUV gets all that in a midsize format so its a tall hatchback midsize.

Purchasing habits are going strong toward these segments so repairs and spare parts abound for cars that are already bulletproof to 150kmi, not that fleets aren't keeping compacts and midsize in a similar place anyway so there's no real reliability or life differences.

Your budget includes well equipped crossovers and lower range CUVs in addition to easily affording a compact like a Civic or Prius or getting a lower-mid range midsize like an Accord or Camry.

Crossover is a super popular style right now as its cheap and gets that high riding everybody likes but I find them compromised verse just settling for a Prius. The CHR and HRV are fine I guess. CUVs are compromised but midsize is about when things like ease of loading take over other considerations and they are the segment that probably gets the most enthusiastic recommendations when someone finally comes to the thread wanting more than a Prius. You'll find one such conversation just before, tldr that the CRV, Rav 4 and Mazda CX5 are all great cars.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Motronic posted:

If you've never run a subcompact tractor before be real careful about this. Those things are basically just toys. Unsafe ones at that. The don't weigh enough to do any real work safely, certainly not with a loader. And the loader reach is just awful.

They have their place: when you really need to be doing work close in/tight quarters. And rental yards (because they weigh so little you can put them on a trailer and tow them behind just about any small suv/pickup).

I would not recommend them for any kind of real work. But they get pushed hard because it's something someone who doesn't really have the space/need for a tractor can justify since it's just a glorified lawn tractor.

Touching back on this - what would you recommend in its place for a similar (or at least not way far away) sort of budget? I'm not even sure exactly what our primary needs will be other than occasionally removing some amount of snow from our ~600-700 foot gravel driveway, and whatever other stuff needs to be done on a ~8 acre property that has at least several acres of woods and some wide paths through that which we want to keep clean-ish and usable, plus some amount of lawn and assorted brush/etc. We do have the zero turn mower but we may sell it if we get something more versatile.

Several people that I've talked to have recommended we get something along the lines of a Kubota BX to just do whatever stuff ends up needing doing. I can't personally think of anything major where I'd really be concerned about having a big front loader payload, but I also don't know what I don't know.

If this is the wrong thread, sorry - maybe the landscaping one? I dunno.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Touching back on this - what would you recommend in its place for a similar (or at least not way far away) sort of budget? I'm not even sure exactly what our primary needs will be other than occasionally removing some amount of snow from our ~600-700 foot gravel driveway, and whatever other stuff needs to be done on a ~8 acre property that has at least several acres of woods and some wide paths through that which we want to keep clean-ish and usable, plus some amount of lawn and assorted brush/etc. We do have the zero turn mower but we may sell it if we get something more versatile.

Several people that I've talked to have recommended we get something along the lines of a Kubota BX to just do whatever stuff ends up needing doing. I can't personally think of anything major where I'd really be concerned about having a big front loader payload, but I also don't know what I don't know.

If this is the wrong thread, sorry - maybe the landscaping one? I dunno.

If budget it your issue buy a used B2610 or B2650. Those are big enough to do actual work and with 8 acres you can certainly fit a compact tractor. Just lol at trying to plow a 600 foot driveway with a subcompact and try to do any sort of tree/cleanup work with a grapple on something that small.

FYI, whatever you buy you want a "third function valve" on it. Because you will likely want a power angle plow and grapple and you will need those hydraulics to operate them. It's something that can be added later, but if you can find something with that already you should consider it.

Also, you should actually find someone with tractors that you can run to see and learn what you need and want. And if you're even willing to do that work of if you're just going to end up hiring it out in the end.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For comparison if you're buying new - the price difference between a BX and a B is surprisingly small, I think right about $1k between the BX2680 I was originally looking at and the B2301 I ended up buying. Yes, "down 3hp" but I honestly don't see the benefit of the extra power. "Lugging the engine" is something I've only had happen when operating in very specific scenarios at part throttle - normally I lose traction or the hydraulics go into bypass anyway.

And likewise on new - the LX is just the B50 tractors with a more sensible name than having two different "B" frames.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Thank you, this is helpful information.

Edit: Price isn't exactly an issue if it's what's required, I can do it. The problem is this is really new territory for me, we had no need of this on our previous property. While snow removal is definitely a thing I need to address, it's not like it needs to be addressed all that often in SW Virginia - probably a handful of times a winter on average. At the moment, neighbors are taking care of it for us, but that's not a long term solution.

Looking at the B series and speccing them out to take a look-see, the problem is really that I have no idea what I'm doing. I was planning on just going to the nearest dealership and talking to them, so that's probably the next step to try to figure this stuff out.

ssb fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 18, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Considering you'll probably be talking to that dealer again in the future for parts and service, yes. Aside from the fact that two of my implements are still in supply-chain hell, buying from the dealership here was quite pleasant compared to any car I've ever bought from a dealer. Probably helps that by and large these things go for $MSRP minus any offers that Kubota is sticking on them.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

Hi, would appreciate advice thanks in advance.
Proposed Budget: Ideally less than $30000
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4-door, don't care too much about body style beyond that it's appropriate for intended use
How will you be using the car?: Driving 4 person family around with some reasonable amount of carrying space. This is in the northeast so snow in winter is a factor but it's not excessive. Something that could be used to drive between NYC and Buffalo occasionally without difficulty
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and low maintenance are most important by far. Need something that will just work and be straightforward to get maintained or repaired when required.

Had a nice used Honda Fit in the past but that's probably too small for 4 people plus some luggage when necessary. Found the Honda reliable but wondering if they're still living up to their reputation for dependability or if there's a better option these days. The Honda Civic looks fine but is there any major advantage to the CR-V (or equivalents from other manufacturers)?

Toyota Prius is the default recommendation and I think it applies in your case as well. With snow tyres perfectly capable enough for normal snow and winter conditions.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Inner Light posted:

FWIW I have a decent amount of experience with Audi (have owned one for several years and driven several service loaners) and I would recommend them. I do not think the internet wisdom about reliability is much more of an issue than any mainsream brand when you talk 2017+ MY. What is true is that when you will need service, the parts/labor will be ~25-50% more, but if the gods smile upon you it won't be much more often than if you bought a Camry.

Modern Audis are nice and solid, it's a good brand, and their corporate design language is up there with the top of any mainstream make right now. BMW ruined it with the nostrils.

BMW M340i is still probably a more compelling package than an S4, though, even with the nostrils. That's my favorite realistic dream car right now.

I'm used to expensive parts and labor - I drove BMWs for quite awhile and loved them. Did most of the routine maintenance on them myself, though I don't know if I'd want to do that on a newer car.

How annoying are they when it comes to simple maintenance? A friend has a newer BMW and after he replaced the battery he had to take it to the dealership so they could 'program' the battery to his car. Apparently it's a thing. Are Audis similarly annoying or are they more reasonable when it comes to stuff like that? I know a lot of modern cars are going in that direction so I guess I wouldn't be surprised if VAG was leading the charge.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I have never owned a car before, but I'm getting tired of renting / mooching off of friends.

Proposed Budget: $12,000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-door
How will you be using the car? Weekend trips to the mountains in all seasons (Boston -> New Hampshire / Vermont / Maine). I bicycle commute when I'm at home so it's definitely not going to be a daily-use car. Will likely be using it to transport a lot of bikes and kayaks or canoes.
What aspects are most important to you? Don't need any fancy features, but having decent ground clearance to get down unpaved roads and reasonable handling in snowy conditions are definitely a priority. I'll definitely get winter tires.

I've seen some used Foresters that seem appealing just based on the northeastern flannel-clad lesbian stereotype, but I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 18, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

I have never owned a car before, but I'm getting tired of renting / mooching off of friends.

How will you be using the car? Weekend trips to the mountains in all seasons (Boston -> New Hampshire / Vermont / Maine). I bicycle commute when I'm at home so it's definitely not going to be a daily-use car. Will likely be using it to transport a lot of bikes and kayaks or canoes.
What aspects are most important to you? Don't need any fancy features, but having decent ground clearance to get down unpaved roads and reasonable handling in snowy conditions are definitely a priority. I'll definitely get winter tires.

I've seen some used Foresters that seem appealing just based on the northeastern flannel-clad lesbian stereotype, but I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

Hmm, how do you feel about boxy and utilitarian?
You could probably get a Honda Element for that kind of money. Those things were built for being stuffed full of muddy bikes, canoes and kayaks. I'm pretty sure you can hose out the inside.
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/d/wakefield-2011-honda-element-ex-awd-4dr/7431933954.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I love the Element for the use case but holy loving poo poo @ paying twelve thousand American dollars for a tarted up CR-V with 190k miles on it. then i looked at what a 2011 CR-V costs these days and jesus christ man

my honest no bullshit advice is to keep renting a car and mooching off your friends. it sounds like you don't NEED a car and if that's the case now ain't the time to buy. Although some leading indicators are showing that the used car market is cooling off a bit - if that does happen, pretty much any CUV or the Outback will be just fine for your needs. You are in :wrongcity: so beware of rust and very worn suspension items.

also: have you considered a small truck?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Small truck is the correct choice for a use case where you want to wake up Saturday morning and throw some bikes and kayaks in the back of something and just go. But even in the normal market $12k of truck is probably a little intense for a my-first-car experience.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

As somebody who just bought a pickup in Vermont I’d agree it’s a non starter under 20 or even 25k. Shits out of control. I wouldn’t recommend it for long gas mileage trips anyways unless you have serious need of the bed. I’m out here paying $65 a fillup. There’s basically no need for the extra clearance over say a forester if you’re only talking about the roads to the resorts etc. most unpaved roads are still maintained to the point snow tire fwd cars can handle them. I have extra clearance because I sometimes leave the road entirely for work. But normal roads I’ve gotten around in both a crv and forester just fine.

Snow tires a must, I think you’re on the right track with Subaru as long as you’re willing to pay the rust tax. A crv would be fine too. If you’re stuck at 12k it might be easier to find a forester. If you’re just going to common ski places then honestly snow tires and fwd might be just fine and better for a 12k budget, I would think on that.

I think my top rec for you would be to bite the bullet and get a decent crv, rav4 something like that which you can put boat rack on and a bike inside (or out).

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I vote you get this: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3147177368885942/

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

zedprime posted:

Crossover segment gets you a hatchback with higher sitting for ease of entry, loading, and vague and minor visibility benefits. Its a tall compact.

CUV gets all that in a midsize format so its a tall hatchback midsize.

Purchasing habits are going strong toward these segments so repairs and spare parts abound for cars that are already bulletproof to 150kmi, not that fleets aren't keeping compacts and midsize in a similar place anyway so there's no real reliability or life differences.

Your budget includes well equipped crossovers and lower range CUVs in addition to easily affording a compact like a Civic or Prius or getting a lower-mid range midsize like an Accord or Camry.

Crossover is a super popular style right now as its cheap and gets that high riding everybody likes but I find them compromised verse just settling for a Prius. The CHR and HRV are fine I guess. CUVs are compromised but midsize is about when things like ease of loading take over other considerations and they are the segment that probably gets the most enthusiastic recommendations when someone finally comes to the thread wanting more than a Prius. You'll find one such conversation just before, tldr that the CRV, Rav 4 and Mazda CX5 are all great cars.

bad_fmr posted:

Toyota Prius is the default recommendation and I think it applies in your case as well. With snow tyres perfectly capable enough for normal snow and winter conditions.

Thanks very much for the replies, they're super helpful.

Didn't really consider the Prius as an option, my likely incorrect understanding was that the additional complexity of the design would make it less robust and more difficult to repair. Will definitely look into them if they're a reliable choice.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

I wish these were loving legal in Austin! Kei Trucks are absolutely perfect for my needs (carrying random stuff out to the lake/woods/trails and commuting), but last I checked they're completely illegal to drive on roads, regardless of speed limit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

Thanks very much for the replies, they're super helpful.

Didn't really consider the Prius as an option, my likely incorrect understanding was that the additional complexity of the design would make it less robust and more difficult to repair. Will definitely look into them if they're a reliable choice.

its the most reliable car devised by man to date

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

I wish these were loving legal in Austin! Kei Trucks are absolutely perfect for my needs (carrying random stuff out to the lake/woods/trails and commuting), but last I checked they're completely illegal to drive on roads, regardless of speed limit.

driving a kei truck on regular roads is a phenomenal way to die in a car accident. it is good that it is illegal for you to drive them on roads.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

driving a kei truck on regular roads is a phenomenal way to die in a car accident. it is good that it is illegal for you to drive them on roads.

Yeah but I can go out and ride a Hayabusa wearing a tshirt, cargo shorts and flip flops and leave a trail of skin and blood half a mile long :911:

Edit: Does Texas have some kind of restriction in addition to the 25 year rule? I would assume you can import anything you want as long as it was made before 1997.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 18, 2022

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its the most reliable car devised by man to date

Haha well now I'm glad I asked! A real sign of how sophisticated a buyer I am.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nocturtle posted:

Look at it this way: they're replacing the bulk of the taxi fleet in the US and elsewhere. This indicates they are dead reliable as well as cheap to repair. There are a ton of good quality aftermarket parts, including for things like the battery, which can be repaired or rebuilt quite cheaply compared to almost any other hybrid pack just due to the number of aftermarket vendors available for parts and labor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nocturtle posted:

nah it's all good, it intuitively makes sense that all of the complexity of ICE + high voltage EV bits would be less reliable because it's more systems and more failure modes, but Toyota spent a ton of time effort and money making sure the car is reliable and doing some very clever things from an engineering standpoint.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

For what it's worth, I ended up buying a Kubota B2601 with a front loader and a rear plow. Should get the job done and then some. Thanks for all the help with that!

Still sorting out a truck, what a stupid mess.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

For what it's worth, I ended up buying a Kubota B2601 with a front loader and a rear plow. Should get the job done and then some. Thanks for all the help with that!

Still sorting out a truck, what a stupid mess.

Nice, you've joined the Kubota crew.

Mine is a 2650HSDC and I use a front power angle plow and a box blade on the back for show duties.

You're probably gonna want to throw some LEDs on your ROPS bar.

Also, KTAC insurance is cheap as poo poo and your homeowners policy won't cover that thing off of your property (or for all of the stupid poo poo they will cover you for) so it's good to get. Call them up with your tractor model/serial and the loader model/serial to get a quote.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

Nice, you've joined the Kubota crew.

Mine is a 2650HSDC and I use a front power angle plow and a box blade on the back for show duties.

You're probably gonna want to throw some LEDs on your ROPS bar.

Also, KTAC insurance is cheap as poo poo and your homeowners policy won't cover that thing off of your property (or for all of the stupid poo poo they will cover you for) so it's good to get. Call them up with your tractor model/serial and the loader model/serial to get a quote.

Got KTAC because I decided 0% 60 month financing was worth skipping the mostly-negligible cash discount, and that was required.

Already ordered a ROPS 3-LED thingy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Got KTAC because I decided 0% 60 month financing was worth skipping the mostly-negligible cash discount, and that was required.

Already ordered a ROPS 3-LED thingy.

You done good.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

You done good.

There's a reason I asked for a lot of advice in here on this one. This was one of those things where I had vague ideas and had done some research but didn't really know what I didn't know. I had a solid idea of things going in as a result. Thanks, thread!

I'm glad our dead gay forum didn't die completely last year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bubbacub posted:

Definitely sounds like a Subaru. Maybe even a Baja? :downs:

Or the new Maverick, it's more expensive of course but might be better than paying $12k for some overpriced rusted shitheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

ethanol posted:

Snow tires a must, I think you’re on the right track with Subaru as long as you’re willing to pay the rust tax. A crv would be fine too. If you’re stuck at 12k it might be easier to find a forester. If you’re just going to common ski places then honestly snow tires and fwd might be just fine and better for a 12k budget, I would think on that.

I think my top rec for you would be to bite the bullet and get a decent crv, rav4 something like that which you can put boat rack on and a bike inside (or out).

Ok, thanks all! The Element looks too huge and overpriced for what I'd need (not sure if it would even fit in my garage!) and I don't need a pickup bed. I'll keep an eye out for reasonable deals on Foresters and CRVs, but this is a luxury item that I don't need urgently, so I don't mind waiting for prices to settle out a bit.