Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Oasx posted:

I was very disappointed in Archive 81, they skipped most of the spooky stuff for the podcast and dragged a single uninteresting plot out for 8 hours. And the actors who play Dan and Melody are just not very good.
It's not a terrible show, just a very poor adaptation.

Speaking of creepy podcasts that got turned into television shows, Facebook made a good season one of Limetown, got bigish name actors like Stanley Tucchi and Jessica Biehl, then somehow managed to bury it on one of the most trafficked platforms in human existence. It's real good.

Still waiting for the Magnus Archives anthology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

King of the Hill is getting a revival and while I still enjoy watching reruns, this seems like a very bad idea for several reasons.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, Beavis returning, whatever, pretty funny look forward to seeing those gross dipshits again.

King of the Hill however manages to be a special shining star dealing with a type of folk and political bent that just doesn't exist in any wholesome or palatable way anymore. We got into an argument at work between some fellow hillfans over whether Hank would wear a maga hat and that was one of the most unpleasant uses of imagination I've ever experienced in a conversation. Cotton is charismatic, cheerful, pleasant social justice warrior compared to the atmosphere of Texas today and I think that's good cause to be skeptical of a new King of the Hill. Simple rednecks shenanigans aren't as amusing when those rednecks are actively fighting to get people killed, remove their voting rights, put bounties on their heads, etc. Not that conservatives weren't up to evil poo poo back then too, but now the mask is off and the emperor palpatine robes fully on.

I think Mike Judge could sharpen his teeth to say something of it, in theory, but I'm not gonna believe that'll happen for a second while it's all owned by fuckin Disney.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/onionincunion/status/1483504541266063360?s=21

Final nail in the loving coffin

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Khanstant posted:

King of the Hill however manages to be a special shining star dealing with a type of folk and political bent that just doesn't exist in any wholesome or palatable way anymore. We got into an argument at work between some fellow hillfans over whether Hank would wear a maga hat and that was one of the most unpleasant uses of imagination I've ever experienced in a conversation. Cotton is charismatic, cheerful, pleasant social justice warrior compared to the atmosphere of Texas today and I think that's good cause to be skeptical of a new King of the Hill. Simple rednecks shenanigans aren't as amusing when those rednecks are actively fighting to get people killed, remove their voting rights, put bounties on their heads, etc. Not that conservatives weren't up to evil poo poo back then too, but now the mask is off and the emperor palpatine robes fully on.

I think Mike Judge could sharpen his teeth to say something of it, in theory, but I'm not gonna believe that'll happen for a second while it's all owned by fuckin Disney.

That's pretty much what I felt about it the first time around. I get the feeling that most left-leaning fans of the show didn't grow up around rednecks, because growing up as a lefty in rural Iowa made it quite clear that KotH was a fantastical whitewashing to begin with. Trying to watch the show always just made me feel like I was being gaslit about the racist sexist backwards people around me.

e: Also Mike Judge is a conservative so good luck with that.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 18, 2022

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
KotH starts to get real preachy in like season 5 and it gets worse and worse so any modern thing will probably be unbearable. I don't think Hank would be a MAGA chud though, he wouldn't like Trump, even though he's a fellow New Yorker. Hank would be a write in vote for JEB!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bill would initially be MAGA, because it would get him new friends, but he would drop out when he realized how awful they were. Dale would go full on MAGA, but it would be revealed that he's not actually registered to vote.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Dale would be a Q follower at first but eventually see through the lies and find the real truth is being revealed by R.

Boomhauer is a cop so he can gently caress off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think Peggy would be the one to get into qanon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpgAhTP6ElA
This looks fun.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Really looking forward to it. Also reminded me to finish up Black Sails at some point.

For King of the Hill, I don't know that I'd say it was whitewashing too much. It's probably not worth splitting hairs between rednecks, hillbillies and good ol' boys and Judge himself joked that while Dale was far more real than most viewers realized, in real life he'd be a massive bigot. There definitely was a lot of worship of "common sense", "compromise" and "can't we all just get along" papering over the cracks.

But a lot of the charm of KotH was capturing the good and bad of small town life and Trump just kind of dropped a boulder on that. If you ignore it, it's going to stick out like a sore thumb. But I can't imagine any of their attempts to tackle it under Judge would come out watchable, since his politics aren't really able to handle that. You might be able to have a joke about Hank being a dead end never-Trumper who's just sad all the time...not sure that'd be funny though. Same thing with Dale's character. You could probably manage it, but wacky anti-government conspiracy guy just hits different now.

Mostly I just wanted to post because all this just reminded me of how utterly and completely poisoned that X-Files reboot became so quickly. Great to have a whole season have Not Alex Jones as a heroic figure busting a vaccine conspiracy :). At least it got to point it out itself in the The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I'm in.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Hell yeah! I'll watch just about anything with Rhys Darby in it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQP4VVuyrY
Full trailer for the Apple TV+ series Severance.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQP4VVuyrY
Full trailer for the Apple TV+ series Severance.

This trailer has me way more interested than the first one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This trailer has me way more interested than the first one.

Yup, thaaaat's the stuff.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Yep I'm in. Rhys Darby is awesome and I'm pretty much all in on anything Taika Waititi is involved in at this point.

The rest of the cast is pretty eclectic too. Leslie Jones? HODOR?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Really looking forward to it. Also reminded me to finish up Black Sails at some point.

Do it. The show gets better and better every season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/Sel3fjl6uyo
Trailer for the new Cuphead show on Netflix. Yes, that Cuphead.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

https://youtu.be/Sel3fjl6uyo
Trailer for the new Cuphead show on Netflix. Yes, that Cuphead.

FINALLY a loving trailer.

Still waiting for news on Bone though. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So to the surprise of absolutely nobody I’m sure, How I Met Your Father is a bit of a stinker. Nothing that stands out beyond one character being particularly annoying, but it just doesn’t have any charm or jokes. They tried, again, and they failed, again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EL BROMANCE posted:

So to the surprise of absolutely nobody I’m sure, How I Met Your Father is a bit of a stinker. Nothing that stands out beyond one character being particularly annoying, but it just doesn’t have any charm or jokes. They tried, again, and they failed, again.

Automatic strike: they put Piz in the cast.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

I liked him in G.L.O.W

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

I liked him in G.L.O.W

NOBODY LIKES PIZ

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Abbot Elementary is an education mockumentary created by and starring Quinta Brunson and produced by the Harley Quinn creators. It’s on Tuesdays on ABC and is streaming on Hulu. It’s gotten strong reviews like this one

https://www.vox.com/culture/22878792/abbott-elementary-abc-review

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I like Piz :mad:

EL BROMANCE posted:

I thought it was absolutely wild they have the dudes living in Marshall and Ted's old apartment. But as a big "twist" at the end of the pilot it really didn't live up to the original's "and that's how I met your Aunt Robin."

I also found this little curio, and I did not know Tiya Sircar was in the HIMYD pilot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYIcFyBg-Hg

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hughmoris posted:

M-O-O-N That spells flop.

That reminds me, did that remake of The Stand ever happen or did the fact that we're living in the K-Mart Captain Trips Universe strangle it in the crib?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

That reminds me, did that remake of The Stand ever happen or did the fact that we're living in the K-Mart Captain Trips Universe strangle it in the crib?

It did, I believe it was a CBS All Access thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From what I remember people were pretty tepid on it because for some reason they decided to tell the story out of order.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

From what I remember people were pretty tepid on it because for some reason they decided to tell the story out of order.

Yeah it was a bizarre choice to do it Lost style where they showed modern times, then a flashback, back to modern, etc.

It was pretty awful, but I thought Eric Northman was a pretty good Flagg.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh wow, it just kind of disappeared without a trace, eh?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Rhyno posted:

As if I needed another reason to avoid it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jerusalem posted:

They should have called it The Sit

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Honestly, I thought the worst just about it was the ending which was faithful to the book. I mean King isn't known for his endings (and even he's aware of that.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Abbot Elementary is an education mockumentary created by and starring Quinta Brunson and produced by the Harley Quinn creators. It’s on Tuesdays on ABC and is streaming on Hulu. It’s gotten strong reviews like this one

https://www.vox.com/culture/22878792/abbott-elementary-abc-review

I liked the first episode, but thought the second and third just weren't very funny. I'm sticking with it in the hope that it gets better, but I'm beginning to wonder if the show's sense of humour is just a bit boring for me.

From what I can recall, they recut the first few episodes to remove a lot of the more upsetting death-by-virus stuff, resulting in the loss of about 50+ minutes of story and a lot of reordered narrative.

The show was a mess, but it was a nice looking mess, and some of the performances were pretty good. Then the entire thing descended into weird Reaganite politics and vague racism. Fun, but in the way a dustbin fire is fun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The CBS show Bull finally got canceled. Not because CBS grew a spine about producing a show around a sexual harasser but because Michael Weatherly decided to quit.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just finished S3 of Succession; was not expecting that ending. Good stuff.

Now we're going to start something I've only ever seen the first two episodes of for some reason- Twin Peaks

Mrs Isaboo has seen it all and is already grinning ear to ear knowing what's coming

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God, please post your reactions in the Twin Peaks thread, it's always a joy seeing people watching it for the first time! :hellyeah:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just finished The Good Place. Dang that's a good ending. Haven't seen something just take all the time it needs to with something like that since, like, B5.

And don't think I've smiled continuously for that long since, like, I don't know when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wow I'm actually getting rid of my AVClub bookmark. It's been a daily visit for like a decade now so it's an end of an era. I miss The Dissolve too.