Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

All my angels gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Incubus definitely lost all his sword NFTs

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shugojin posted:

Incubus definitely lost all his sword NFTs
You'd think he'd be mining them in his blood/sex dungeon lair

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Mottom is all about the NFTs

Necromantic
Fruit
Trees

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Yes, she was part of the royal family of Charn. She was losing a war for control of the world to her sister, but at the moment of her loss as her sister arrived to accept surrender she instead spoke the Deplorable Word, an ancient magic which her ancestors had hidden away and sworn to guard and never seek out, but which she uncovered at terrible price to herself. On speaking, the Word killed every other living thing on the planet. With nothing left to rule over and no way to survive she then placed a spell on herself to preserve herself frozen as a statue, on the off chance that other worlds existed and someone might some day come to Charn and discover her and give her a way to escape. When the protagonists arrive the sun is swollen red and the world is on the verge of being consumed.

Oh hey yeah I remember this! I'd completely forgotten the Narnia books actually had some really cool ideas at points

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

look what you did to this poor thread

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ThaumPenguin posted:

Oh hey yeah I remember this! I'd completely forgotten the Narnia books actually had some really cool ideas at points
The first six books are all okay or better. The Last Battle reads like it was written by someone's youth pastor who thinks that allegory was Bill Clinton's VP.

Edit: You wanna start an internet argument among a very specific kind of nerd? Ask them whether you should read Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe or Magician's Nephew first. (The former being publication order, and the latter being chronological order.)

Edit 2: Wait, no, hang on, I forgot how racist Horse and His Boy actually is. Jesus Christ. :stonklol:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 17, 2022

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

girl dick energy posted:

Edit 2: Wait, no, hang on, I forgot how racist Horse and His Boy actually is. Jesus Christ. :stonklol:
Horse and His Boy is so racist it actually resurrects oblique medieval forms of racism.

That poo poo is buck wild.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Lmao I enjoy in the Last Battle where the kids all die in a train crash and go to heaven. Except Susan(?) because she's a teen and likes boys and make-up. Edit: Her whole family is now dead but she's just an afterthought lmao.

Can't remember much from Horse and his Boy but godamn wow ^^^

catapede fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 17, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Last Battle is fascinating as a weird Christian eschatological piece but it's a clumsy fit with the rest of the Narnia books, being by far the least allegorical and most heavy-handed. It's much more like Perelandra and Lewis's other space books.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

Later in the book Aslan basically turns to the reader and says "FYI the Deplorable Word is a metaphor for nukes, in case you didn't get it"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 17, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

girl dick energy posted:

The first six books are all okay or better. The Last Battle reads like it was written by someone's youth pastor who thinks that allegory was Bill Clinton's VP.

Edit: You wanna start an internet argument among a very specific kind of nerd? Ask them whether you should read Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe or Magician's Nephew first. (The former being publication order, and the latter being chronological order.)

"The not-Muslims worship the devil, but it's okay because if they're good people and do good things they're actually worshipping god, and if people who worship God do bad things they're actually worshipping the devil" was a wild message

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Did a bit more research last night, and the worst thing is that the worse books weren't written decades later after a sharp mental decline or a slow and gradual decay into reactionary politics. All seven were written between 1949 and 1954. The man who wrote The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe already believed the things in Horse and His Boy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is it not common knowledge that Lewis Carol was a freakish weirdo both by the standards of his time and ours?

E:

I meant CS Lewis but Lewis Carroll is just as bad if not worse.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 18, 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

No, because only real hardcore nerds gave much of a poo poo about anything Lewis wrote aside from LW&tW and maybe the screwtape letters.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wow I can't believe a guy born in 18-goddamn-98 wrote some problematic stuff :geno:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

guys i said “nirvana forcibly taken” it was pretty good i think you missed it

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Cowcaster posted:

Don't try to make this about Harry Potter.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
the space books that cs lewis wrote were loving wild if you've never been exposed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Benagain posted:

the space books that cs lewis wrote were loving wild if you've never been exposed.
Go on?

(This is a weird derail, but it's definitely better than a lot of the rabbit holes this thread's gone down.)

TwoPair posted:

Wow I can't believe a guy born in 18-goddamn-98 wrote some problematic stuff :geno:
Prejudice is not a line graph that steadily decreases over time.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 18, 2022

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
every fantasy author in the early 20th century was a loving freak in some really novel way, as opposed to modern fantasy authors who all just have opinions about the age of consent

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
He envisioned space as endlessly light filled, each planet had an associate angel except Earth, who had turned traitor. A society of liberals conspired with demons. A young man hangs out with the society and is corrupted while his wife hangs out with christians who eventually save her husband.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

every fantasy author in the early 20th century was a loving freak in some really novel way, as opposed to modern fantasy authors who all just have opinions about the age of consent

Hope Mirrlees and Mervyn Peake say otherwise :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

Every sci-fi author in the mid 20th century was a freak in some variation of the exact same way, but not all of them started that way.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
The people we remember as SF authors of the early and mid 20th century all needed to be published, which means they need to be liked (or thought commercially viable) by editors. So really what we think of as The Pool Of SF Thought in a decade is just what, like, less than 20 publishers with editorial power liked.

The sanctioned action is to self-publish, I guess

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm p sure CS Lewis wasn't a mildly conservative WWII-era Catholic out of a need to be liked by publishers, or because meandering allegories about Genesis were the big commercial product of the time. he was that way because Tolkein converted him

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 18, 2022

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i love that band

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

girl dick energy posted:

Go on?

(This is a weird derail, but it's definitely better than a lot of the rabbit holes this thread's gone down.)

The first book, Out of the Silent Planet, starts as a typical very early style scifi novel, where the protagonist (Ransom) kind of falls into a spaceship two of his colleagues built. Said colleagues fly to Mars to make some money from resource extraction as well as to white-mans-burden-style-uplift the native martians. Ransom eventually comes to understand the native language, and learns that the martians aren't ignorant but literally sinless.

Ransom meets the martian in charge of the Mars, who is a literal angel, and is asked to explain his colleagues odd behavior. After explaining the concept of colonialism, all three humans are kicked off the planet.

The second book, Perelandra, has Ransom being sent on a mission to the planet Venus, where Ransom is to guard Venusian Eve from temptation. This temptation comes from one of his colleagues from the first book, who was sent to Venus by the angel in charge of Earth, who is literally Satan.

Ransom and his colleague debate ethics with Venus Eve and especially if she should eat from the Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge analog. When Ransom finds himself losing the debate he decides to just literally wrestle the other guy instead. This fight goes on for a while and ends with the two of them plummeting into a giant cavern beneath Venus, where (iirc) Ransom drowns the other guy.

Ransom then spends like three chapters wandering through Venusian caves systems before meeting with Venus Adam. He tells Ransom that, because he removed the pernicious influence of the tempter, Eve has abstained from sin and now Venus is saved.

The third book, That Hideous Strength, is a lot and I can't do it justice. Merlin shows up.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 18, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What I'm hearing is we're one sex cult ending away from Stranger in a Strange Land.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

girl dick energy posted:

What I'm hearing is we're one sex cult ending away from Stranger in a Strange Land.

Needs more cannibalism

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

girl dick energy posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that Stranger in a Strange Land is a horror novel and most of the viewpoint characters are villains.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that Stranger in a Strange Land is a horror novel and most of the viewpoint characters are villains.

I mean, whatever helps you sleep at night.
My hypothesis is that Heinlein was just one weird fucker who liked to shock people.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Joe Slowboat posted:

I mean, whatever helps you sleep at night.
My hypothesis is that Heinlein was just one weird fucker who liked to shock people.

I mean, he was a weird fucker but in the best way.

Even all of his weird sex poo poo is the result of him and his wife going "this patriarchy poo poo is wack. What would be better? Uh... we have no idea, so let's just throw poo poo at the wall and hope something inspires something good"

It was, like, an attempt at feminism via DaDa.

This makes his work interesting, but by no means some kind of unassailable Canon. I know some women who refuse to read his works, and I don't blame them.

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 18, 2022

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mile'ionaha posted:

I mean, he was a weird fucker but in the best way.

Even all of his weird sex poo poo is the result of him and his wife going "this patriarchy poo poo is wack. What would be better? Uh... we have no idea, so let's just throw poo poo at the wall and hope something inspires something good"

It was, like, an attempt at feminism via DaDa.

This makes his work interesting, but by no means some kind of unassailable Canon. I know some women who refuse to read his works, and I don't blame them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jAkplrZci0

TL:DS: he is an extreme weirdo

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The Narnia books are not allegorical. They are much weirder than that. They are more like “hard theological fiction”, if we can make an analogy to “hard science fiction”. They posit what a fantastical world would be like, and how God and Jesus Christ might appear in such a world, if we could observe them. Aslan is not a “Christ like figure” he is how The Son Of God appears in this alternate world.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Aslan is not a “Christ like figure” he is how The Son Of God appears in this alternate world
Yes, and this declaration is made in The Last Battle, the one that I already said throws the allegory out the window. What is there not to understand?

ElMaligno posted:

TL:DS: he is an extreme weirdo
Fellow OSP watcher! :respek: I'm extremely grateful for their Lovecraft video and its absolute brutal teardown of a man who was in no way "a product of his time", while still digging into the actual content of his stories.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 18, 2022

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The Narnia books are not allegorical. They are much weirder than that. They are more like “hard theological fiction”, if we can make an analogy to “hard science fiction”. They posit what a fantastical world would be like, and how God and Jesus Christ might appear in such a world, if we could observe them. Aslan is not a “Christ like figure” he is how The Son Of God appears in this alternate world.

Nah, that's more Tolkien's deal. Eru is the God Tolkien believed in, but operating in a different fashion for a different world.

Narnia is allegory the way Pilgrim's Progress is allegory, until that collapses into pure explicit 'if you have liked this allegory, please consider joining my church.'

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

girl dick energy posted:

Yes, and this declaration is made in The Last Battle, the one that I already said throws the allegory out the window. What is there not to understand?

Hell I'd say it's already there in Wardrobe. Aslan sacrifices himself and is resurrected. Though I guess that's called "Old magic" or something.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

osp? hell yeah i love osp, overtly symbolic parables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

girl dick energy posted:

Fellow OSP watcher! :respek: I'm extremely grateful for their Lovecraft video and its absolute brutal teardown of a man who was in no way "a product of his time", while still digging into the actual content of his stories.

Gotta represent my favorite Ace.