Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Is there anything stopping the government from just sending guys round to put tests in every postbox or something? Having to apply (online as well lmao) seems kind of long-winded.

Supply of tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Solkanar512 posted:

Supply of tests.

Also possibility of getting fake tests (which is becoming a problem) and tests not being able to survive long-term exposure in a mailbox.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Solkanar512 posted:

Supply of tests.

Also ensuring that your limited supply of tests don't go into the mailboxes of people who think covid is a fake China disease cooked up by the The Libs and who will toss them straight into the trash.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

How are u posted:

Also ensuring that your limited supply of tests don't go into the mailboxes of people who think covid is a fake China disease cooked up by the The Libs and who will toss them straight into the trash.

The government wants us to put those sticks into our nose. What is their agenda? Will we get infected by something thus way. Better burn that stuff before it enters our house.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/pookleblinky/status/1483519646363963396

A basic breakdown of how utterly unserious'4xhousehold' is for the scale of the issue, chuds or no.

Also, another significant issue:

https://twitter.com/bransfordalex/status/1483533595201449992

And folks in apartment buildings are kind of max priority here?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Family of 7 here. Gotta pick my favorite kids I guess.

Thanks Biden.

Just mix up all their snot and put it on a single test strip. Then if it pops a positive you just have to guess which one has it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So with Omnicron having COVID cases higher than ever before, it makes me curious why hospitals aren't overfilled with people to the point where they're just not taking in people and leaving them to die like in Spain two years ago.

Is Omnicron not as dangerous or is there another factor stopping that from occurring on such a serious scale?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

So with Omnicron having COVID cases higher than ever before, it makes me curious why hospitals aren't overfilled with people to the point where they're just not taking in people and leaving them to die like in Spain two years ago.

Is Omnicron not as dangerous or is there another factor stopping that from occurring on such a serious scale?

Seems to be a combination of it causing a less severe disease due to it not attacking the lungs as much as prior variants, high vaccination rates giving a lot of people good protection from severe illness, and a lot of people having some degree of immunity from a prior covid infection.

Edit: there’s probably also some better treatment options available for hospitalised people now that weren’t available in previous waves, MABs being less effective against omicron notwithstanding.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 18, 2022

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The caveat is that we can't expect the wildtype vaccine to hold indefinitely, and our current strategies likely lose us useful life.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/DorchesterEsq/status/1483502587810877445?s=20

Seems the apartment issue was people using an old form that's since been fixed

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

StratGoatCom posted:

It's utterly absurd that condo/apartment management could prevent residents from using the mail.

Of course, I'm relatively certain that I've got a family member who won't be able to get these, either, because they just have a post office box in town, and no mailbox at their house in the middle of nowhere.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

StratGoatCom posted:

The caveat is that we can't expect the wildtype vaccine to hold indefinitely, and our current strategies likely lose us useful life.

No, but it looks like there’s a number of second generation vaccines in development that will be more effective against current and emerging variants. In addition, the hybrid immunity from vaccination + infection seems to be very strong in most people so I think it’s unlikely we’ll have the same issues with a future variant that we’re having with omicron.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

gay picnic defence posted:

Just mix up all their snot and put it on a single test strip. Then if it pops a positive you just have to guess which one has it.

If it pops positive, test 3 of them together. If that's negative, test 2 of the remaining 4. If that's positive, test 1 of the group. If it's negative, test 1 of the 2 you didn't test. If the 3-test is positive, test 2 and then either it's the remaining one (negative) or do another test with 1 of the 2 (positive)

Assuming only one of them has it, of course

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FWIS supposedly the Pfizer Omicron specific vaccine will be ready in March and they're already pivoting manufacturing towards it.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's literally happening in some places. turns out it's very easy to ignore human suffering when you just make a point to not look for it

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

No, but it looks like there’s a number of second generation vaccines in development that will be more effective against current and emerging variants. In addition, the hybrid immunity from vaccination + infection seems to be very strong in most people so I think it’s unlikely we’ll have the same issues with a future variant that we’re having with omicron.

Unless we get another Omicron scenario and get sidestepped by variant from a clade we'd been neglecting again.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Seems to be a combination of it causing a less severe disease due to it not attacking the lungs as much as prior variants, high vaccination rates giving a lot of people good protection from severe illness, and a lot of people having some degree of immunity from a prior covid infection.

Edit: there’s probably also some better treatment options available for hospitalised people now that weren’t available in previous waves, MABs being less effective against omicron notwithstanding.

Great points, thank you.

A big flaming stink posted:

That's literally happening in some places. turns out it's very easy to ignore human suffering when you just make a point to not look for it

The Death Rate for COVID is still notably lower than it was during the two other waves despite many more infected.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hospitals are overloaded in places because 1) so many people are still unvaccinated, and 2) omicron is so transmissible that everyone's getting it at once.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

goethe.cx posted:

Hospitals are overloaded in places because 1) so many people are still unvaccinated, and 2) omicron is so transmissible that everyone's getting it at once.

To add onto point 2 on this post, this also includes staff/frontline workers. Which seems to be a contributor for bottlenecks as well.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 19, 2022

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

StratGoatCom posted:

Unless we get another Omicron scenario and get sidestepped by variant from a clade we'd been neglecting again.

It’s possible, but given omicron was more divergent than even the most nightmareish scenarios dreamed up by scientists and first gen vaccines still provide significant protection against serious illness I don’t think we’ll get too much trouble from an emerging variant before a universal covid vaccine is developed.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
In the gooniest possible observation on the pandemic, anecdotally speaking the fast food system falling apart.

Everyone I know on facebook is pointing out how bad things have gotten, and my fat rear end conducted a survey twice this weekend.

A lot of workers are out sick, or just straight not willing to risk their lives so you can get a big mac.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

In the gooniest possible observation on the pandemic, anecdotally speaking the fast food system falling apart.

Everyone I know on facebook is pointing out how bad things have gotten, and my fat rear end conducted a survey twice this weekend.

A lot of workers are out sick, or just straight not willing to risk their lives so you can get a big mac.

Yeah, this is another result of everyone getting omicron at once. When half your staff pops positive it's hard for customers to get their gross burgers in a timely fashion. I expect things will improve over the next few weeks as we get over the peak

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Great points, thank you.

The Death Rate for COVID is still notably lower than it was during the two other waves despite many more infected.

Dude how are you blind to the reams of testimonies of every bed in a 3 hour radius being full? The exact scenario you called upon--hospitals so filled they literally can't take any more patients--is a daily occurrence now

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

It’s possible, but given omicron was more divergent than even the most nightmareish scenarios dreamed up by scientists and first gen vaccines still provide significant protection against serious illness I don’t think we’ll get too much trouble from an emerging variant before a universal covid vaccine is developed.

there's no way evolution can wiggle out of this one.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

It was hardly so, folks were calling what it could do with some accuracy from existing research elsewhere in the drat github virus tracker page. It was mutated as all gently caress, but we knew that at least some of its power set existed in seperate forms elsewhere, as I recall. If memory serves, there is a good chance that reason we got owned is that we didn't make an alpha jab for the public - not the best, but there is some reason to suspect that it would have performed a drat sight better then wildtype.

I might add that there are some profoundly frightening possible evolutions we've created in laboratory contexts that are worth watching for:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-021-00954-4

a study in possible covid biologics based on spike proteins posted:

SARS-CoV-2 variants of interest and concern will continue to emerge for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic. To map mutations in the receptor-binding domain (RBD) of the spike protein that affect binding to angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), the receptor for SARS-CoV-2, we applied in vitro evolution to affinity-mature the RBD. Multiple rounds of random mutagenic libraries of the RBD were sorted against decreasing concentrations of ACE2, resulting in the selection of higher affinity RBD binders. We found that mutations present in more transmissible viruses (S477N, E484K and N501Y) were preferentially selected in our high-throughput screen. Evolved RBD mutants include prominently the amino acid substitutions found in the RBDs of B.1.620, B.1.1.7 (Alpha), B1.351 (Beta) and P.1 (Gamma) variants. Moreover, the incidence of RBD mutations in the population as presented in the GISAID database (April 2021) is positively correlated with increased binding affinity to ACE2. Further in vitro evolution increased binding by 1,000-fold and identified mutations that may be more infectious if they evolve in the circulating viral population, for example, Q498R is epistatic to N501Y. We show that our high-affinity variant RBD-62 can be used as a drug to inhibit infection with SARS-CoV-2 and variants Alpha, Beta and Gamma in vitro. In a model of SARS-CoV-2 challenge in hamster, RBD-62 significantly reduced clinical disease when administered before or after infection. A 2.9 Å cryo-electron microscopy structure of the high-affinity complex of RBD-62 and ACE2, including all rapidly spreading mutations, provides a structural basis for future drug and vaccine development and for in silico evaluation of known antibodies.

I don't know how this would perform in vivo, but....

well, it's also worth noting that these are somewhat taxonomically close to Omicron, as one can verify for themselves from nextstrain:
https://nextstrain.org/ncov/gisaid/global

not toooo close, but far closer then I'd like.

I do not know if the precursors to that spike predate the split between those families, but Omicron is radiating at dramatic speed; I don't know if we'll see an ACE2 atavism or a recombo with a more human ACE2. Other possibilities are maybe further developments of its immune evasion?

(https://www.nature.com/articles/s41423-021-00836-z)

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 19, 2022

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

StratGoatCom posted:

Excellent, landlords and the "disruption" industry teaming up yet again to immiserate more poor families.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

Excellent, landlords and the "disruption" industry teaming up yet again to immiserate more poor families.

I posted that the issue had been fixed, yet people have ignored my post to complain about dems and landlords or whatever

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

StratGoatCom posted:

You've complained about this frequently, which clades should vaccines be made for and in what quantities? Who gets which shot and why? How much will you blame the Biden administration for people who get the "wrong" vaccination?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Solkanar512 posted:

You've complained about this frequently, which clades should vaccines be made for and in what quantities? Who gets which shot and why? How much will you blame the Biden administration for people who get the "wrong" vaccination?

We need formulas in the wings approved and ready to gear up to basically every major clade, at least until we can figure out a multiclade jab. That way, we have something to throw into the gap until we have a specific variant jab ready to go.

Omicron has demonstrated that attacks are possible from any taxonomic direction of the virus that still exists.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 19, 2022

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

I posted that the issue had been fixed, yet people have ignored my post to complain about dems and landlords or whatever

The Tweet you posted didn't address the issue with those who rely on this "Fetch" service at all. Here is a recent Tweet from the guy who mentioned that:

https://twitter.com/bransfordalex/status/1483535115238182916

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Stop trying to make Fetch happen.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

goethe.cx posted:

and 3) the vaccinated are getting infected

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We all peed on it. I hear that works as well and seemed much easier.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

StratGoatCom posted:

We need formulas in the wings approved and ready to gear up to basically every major clade, at least until we can figure out a multiclade jab. That way, we have something to throw into the gap until we have a specific variant jab ready to go.

Omicron has demonstrated that attacks are possible from any taxonomic direction of the virus that still exists.

How in the hell do you do that in time to make a difference, especially in cases where the clade doesn't exist yet?

What additional benefit are you expecting that we don't already get from the current vaccine?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Solkanar512 posted:

How in the hell do you do that in time to make a difference, especially in cases where the clade doesn't exist yet?

What additional benefit are you expecting that we don't already get from the current vaccine?

to answer your questions:

By throwing the closest relatives at the thing you can guess.

That it may work against future high evasive variants of highly derived clades

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Ruggan posted:

and 3) the vaccinated are getting infected

They are but they’re not the bulk of people clogging hospitals

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

goethe.cx posted:

Yep, for the vaccinated it's generally not a big deal at all. Other than for kids under 5 who are not yet eligible, the unwillingly-unvaccinated, and for folks who would otherwise need to go to the hospital; it truly is a pandemic of the unvaccinated at this point. Wild.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

goethe.cx posted:

It is a drat worrisome sign for the future though.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Not a big deal, unless you need a hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Not a big deal, unless you need a hospital.

Due to the unvaccinated overflowing hospitals, yes